the unkillable healer

Clege

Well, looks like BioWare copied another bad idea from WoW: the unkillable healer. In my 40 levels of valor, I have come across some, what I thought, were pretty impressive healers. However, once all of us 50s were seperated into our own little PvP world, I have come to realize its not the player, but the gear!

I just got of a Voidstar match where my team identified and isolated their healer. It took 3 of us beating on her nonstop for around 2 minutes, using big cooldowns, to finally kill her. she did over 400k healing herself and singlehandily won the match for her team.

I am all about healers having a role in PvP, but when one can tank 1/3 of a team's damage like a boss, its past stupid. One player should not make or break a team.

NOTE: yes, I have 10% expertice; no, I do not suck; yes, I know what I am doing; no, I will not rage quit; and take your qq crap elsewhere -- other troll replies can assume a simular response.

Edited by Clege

definitely agree to a point. the problem here is the way expertise works.

say 2 players have 10% expertise. player A is a dps spec, player B is a healer. the damage increase player A receives is negated by player B's equal and opposite damage reduction. however, player B is healing for 10% more due to expertise. the situation greatly increases the power of healing, unless the dps'er has a way to overcome the 10% heal increase. this can sometimes be done with relics and adrenals, but a good healer is going to use their own relics and adrenals and the 10% heal bonus still stands supreme

In situations with equal gear, I'm absolutely crushed as a sorc healer. I can't even out heal the sorc lightning of a dps spec'd sorc. Literally dead in about 10-15 seconds.

Against those lower than me with not nearly as much gear (I'm full champ), I can survive quite a while.

No one will know the true balance for quite some time because of this f'd up expertise crap.

In situations with equal gear, I'm absolutely crushed as a sorc healer. I can't even out heal the sorc lightning of a dps spec'd sorc. Literally dead in about 10-15 seconds.

Against those lower than me with not nearly as much gear (I'm full champ), I can survive quite a while.

No one will know the true balance for quite some time because of this f'd up expertise crap.

I think you may need to visit you're class trainer for better healz or...........L2P. Cmon seriously? lol full champ gear and u cant outheal 1 dps, ok

say 2 players have 10% expertise. player A is a dps spec, player B is a healer. the damage increase player A receives is negated by player B's equal and opposite damage reduction. however, player B is healing for 10% more due to expertise. the situation greatly increases the power of healing, unless the dps'er has a way to overcome the 10% heal increase. this can sometimes be done with relics and adrenals, but a good healer is going to use their own relics and adrenals and the 10% heal bonus still stands supreme

Bingo.

This doesn't really surprise me that much. It's not so much an unkillable healer as it is the mechanics of the game. I'm just tossing this out there as a "this could've happened" - but without video or screenies, it's hard to say either way. But I kind of doubt it's purely the gear - the amount of expertise available even to full Battlemaster isn't *that* much above Champion.

So you pull people off of other classes to nuke a healer...

Right away, any guardian worth his salt around will toss guard on the healer. That's 30%.

And any sage worth his salt will bubble it, saving another 2K ish damage.

Then that guardian uses his next gcd to toss an aoe taunt, reducing people's damage against non-him-players by (I think) another 30%.

Also, by not, that healer has popped their expertise consumable, which works defensively too.

Add to that any other hybrid class with their paltry heals that can now focus the healer for a moment to save them...

Well, looks like BioWare copied another bad idea from WoW: the unkillable healer. In my 40 levels of valor, I have come across some, what I thought, were pretty impressive healers. However, once all of us 50s were seperated into our own little PvP world, I have come to realize its not the player, but the gear!

I just got of a Voidstar match where my team identified and isolated their healer. It took 3 of us beating on her nonstop for around 2 minutes, using big cooldowns, to finally kill her. she did over 400k healing herself and singlehandily won the match for her team.

I am all about healers having a role in PvP, but when one can tank 1/3 of a team's damage like a boss, its past stupid. One player should not make or break a team.

NOTE: yes, I have 10% expertice; no, I do not suck; yes, I know what I am doing; no, I will not rage quit; and take your qq crap elsewhere -- other troll replies can assume a simular response.

all i can say is either was another healer healing or you were not using your interupts in tandum. Even a geared healer cant or shouldn't be able to heal for crap if your interupting there heals that said big problem is in most mmo's interupting a healers heal locks ALL healing out, in TOR just that 1 ability. So if you lock out my BIG heal still got my 1.5 secon heal and my hot i can spam.

Edit: also as above player said, gaurd+taunt is amazing at making healers untouchable along with expertise healing boost(probably needs to go)

Edited by Lokai

don't group all healers into the same group, if she was unkillable she was a sorc healer period, bh/troopers and ops/scoundrels are pathetic in comparison

it's the damn bubble they get that makes them op, just remove the bubble

No matter what opinion you have of your skill level, you really are terrible and don't understand what you're doing if you can't 3v1 a healer in this game (or WoW for that matter). If there was a tank guarding/taunting etc that's quite a different matter, but it's hardly a matter of unkillable healers then.

Even a sage/sorc just has shield and a very weak hot for noninterruptable healing - anything else just shouldn't be going off vs 3 dps and if it takes you 2 minutes to burn through that...

Edited by depth_mil

30% trauma..... 10% Expert... only 20% trauma.

If you stuck that many people on a healer and you couldn't bring them down reasonably fast. /FAIL.

There is a bar that happens on most of their big heals..... when that happens stun/interupt/knockback.... no more heal...

If you notice that you are doing dramaticly less damage to them.... look around for their tank... should be the guy standing there taking damage without anyone on them.

Somehow I don't think it's the gear.

http://i.imgur.com/kq93i.jpg

I'm not trying to sound condescending but are you totally sure he / she didn't have a tank? Because I'm a Vanguard, who runs with an almost fully champion geared Sage and he gets wrecked if 2 equally geared dps are on him solo with rotating interrupts. However if I have him guarded, and keep the enemies taunted / stunned we can easily take down 3-5 dps if they have no healer. (I lack the burst for dealing with healers solo unless they're badly geared or badly played.)

To handle a tank / healer the best thing to do generally is ignore them and focus on the dps in the team, or seperate them via kiting / grapple / knockback / stun to negate guard. If you have 2 dps on the healer, and another is able to pull the tank away there is almost no way he can keep himself alive. Try to learn what the aoe taunt looks like for each tank and be aware if the enemy uses this early. Have you and your friends pop cd's after this wears off or you're effectively wasting them as a good tank will taunt you the second he sees adrenals / relics being used.

Edited by Bone_Machine

A healer may be able to prolong his life significantly with his heals, but he probably can't deal much (if any) damage (or heal anybody other than himself) while doing so and he will eventually run out of force/ammo/energy. Unless the healer is better geared or just simply better than you, the best he can generally hope for is a teammate to come along and save him.

Healers who are focusing on healing themselves should be nearly impossible (i.e. take an extremely long time) to kill 1 on 1. Otherwise, they would simply be better off rolling as DPS.

Edited by Dzhokhar

I would bet real life money that the healer had someone healing it. I would also bet money that you guys were not using your interrupts effectively. One -- or two at most -- strong DPS should be able to shut a healer down pretty well and force them to focus on healing only themselves. You don't need to kill the healer, necessarily. Sometimes it is enough to simply keep them from healing anyone other than themselves.

Edited by belialle

If an enemy can apply some steps to make their healers unkillable there's nothing stopping you from doing exactly the same thing unless your side has no healer and no one with a guard ability. Usually the side with the 'unkillable' healer gives up a lot of DPS doing so, which means getting your own 'unkillable' healer is actually pretty easy since your healer won't be receiving too much DPS. I've had games where seemingly no one died on both sides and you're just hitting people for 5 minutes continously without anyone on either side dying. I consider that to be good game playing, and there is still a victor in such a game because eventually people will find a weak point somewhere to break through.

Usually against a heavily protected healer it is better to focus DPS on their DPS instead while leaving one guy to pressure the healer. Since DPS are rarely guarded, it is quite easy to overpower them by burst DPS. Instead of say 3 DPS on one healer, have one DPS on healer and 2 DPS on their DPS. The DPS on healer can interrupt the healer's big heals, and without the big heal, bursting down another DPS is easy.

The problem here is infinite resources, and extremely high sustained healing (as opposed to burst healing)

IMO pvp is always best when healers A. Have to manage their resource and B. can pull out incredible " OH ****! " heals.

Here it's basically infinite force & very steady & strong sustained healing.

If you're geared to the point where your heals > their dps you're easily going to shrug them off, while if you're undergeared you're going to feel like it's impossible to heal.

civil war is just dumb now, whoever caps first keeps it pretty much

Yeah, but that'd be the case no matter what - the map design is retarded. It's far too easy to defend two since if you're controlling middle + 1 you can see where everyone goes and get there first.

Yeah, but that'd be the case no matter what - the map design is retarded. It's far too easy to defend two since if you're controlling middle + 1 you can see where everyone goes and get there first.

I mean now with everyone 50 theres no lowbies to drag it down, everyone has the survivibility that you just zerg

The problem here is infinite resources, and extremely high sustained healing (as opposed to burst healing)

IMO pvp is always best when healers A. Have to manage their resource and B. can pull out incredible " OH ****! " heals.

Here it's basically infinite force & very steady & strong sustained healing.

If you're geared to the point where your heals > their dps you're easily going to shrug them off, while if you're undergeared you're going to feel like it's impossible to heal.

Assuming you're interrupting the healer's long casting big heal (which is also very cheap in cost), the healer will run dry eventually if they're forced to spam their lesser heals. Also, the lesser heals simply don't heal as much as the big heals, which means you can also attempt to overpower them. Take a Sage for example, all you have to do is interrupt Deliverance (I thnk that's their big heal) and Salvation (AE big heal). You can let them cast other spells. They'll either run out of Force, or the heals won't be enough to keep up with the DPS. You really shouldn't try to interrupt every spell. Interrupting a Healing Trance (HoT) or Benevolence (fast casting heal) actually hurts you unless you're sure interrupting this causes someone to die, because the next spell they cast will be Deliverance or Salvation almost for sure and now you can't stop it.

Sounds like he was guarded IMO - or there is more to the story.

And if he healed for 2 minutes straight, he definitely wasn't a energy/heat class.

Also, make friends with a well geared sniper/op/sin. Healers? lol. Boom -headshot-.

Edited by Jebi

Your forgetting the trauma debuff (I think that's what it's called), it's a 30% reduction in incoming heals as soon as you take damage and remain in combat in pvp.

So as a healer, my 10% expertise reduces your 10% expertise - just like anybody else in the warzone. My giant expertise bonus healing of 10% reduces trauma to only a 20% nerf.

That equates to a 200k healing score really being 250k healing done - but who needs medals as a healer right?

I was just in match (voidstar) so might have been me lol i was the healer but i had a guard on me trooper and i bubble and i got all of the champion set so i crit for 6k heals but also get immune from you damage for 10secs with my bubble and guard but i did run out of force power LOL I do have 5 heals and they did top me from using some of my heals but then i just change to diff one lol

also If i dont got a trooper or guardian with me i die very very fast paper armor :)

Edited by Crazyfire