Problems I'm currently having

reillan

At lvl 15, it's rather expected that we should have some problems, but there are a few that are especially difficult...

1. Most of my abilities are still ranged, so even though I could close to melee and do a backstab, there's really no benefit to it at all (I have started down the melee concealment line, btw).

2. In some of the harder fights (bosses, really), I'm healing my companion and letting her do all the work. Problem here is that healing spends my energy *fast*, so I run out and am unable to keep her alive. Still, I have nothing to compare this to, and it may be that a different class wouldn't even be able to handle the mob in question.

3. Ranged combat ends up always being "spam snipe".... maybe I just haven't spent enough time learning the skills, but until a mob gets down to around 25% health, snipe is the only skill that seems to do worthwhile damage (and then I use my energy-free one to finish enemies off).

I figure these will probably work themselves out...

I have a lvl 13 Op - Concealment spec. I can take down elites that are my level +1, but I do not heal my companion and she is near 15-20% HP at the end of the fight.

My priority rotation is:

1. DoT

2. Backstab

3. Shiv

4. Grenade / Ranged Attack

I was reading earlier that at higher levels an Ops attacks are almost exclusively melee-based (i.e., Vibroknife).

P.S. Keep your character and companion's gear updated as frequently as possible, even if you have to resort to the GTN.

Edited by G-Seven

At lvl 15, it's rather expected that we should have some problems, but there are a few that are especially difficult...

1. Most of my abilities are still ranged, so even though I could close to melee and do a backstab, there's really no benefit to it at all (I have started down the melee concealment line, btw).

2. In some of the harder fights (bosses, really), I'm healing my companion and letting her do all the work. Problem here is that healing spends my energy *fast*, so I run out and am unable to keep her alive. Still, I have nothing to compare this to, and it may be that a different class wouldn't even be able to handle the mob in question.

3. Ranged combat ends up always being "spam snipe".... maybe I just haven't spent enough time learning the skills, but until a mob gets down to around 25% health, snipe is the only skill that seems to do worthwhile damage (and then I use my energy-free one to finish enemies off).

I'm currently playing a Medic specced Operative but may be able to lend a hand with some issues you're seeing.

The real key for getting a hang of the Imperial Agent is energy management. Opening from ranged with Snipe and an Explosive Probe is a good burst of damage but the lower your energy becomes the more slowly it regens. As such, you'll want to mix in your no-energy ranged attack while you close. This allows you to regen on the move while you close distance and add some supplementary DPS before opening in melee. Your shiv and backstab abilities, especially if you're going concealment, should be netting you more DPS than Snipe spam.

When you get Adrenaline Prob managing energy becomes a bit easier.

yeah, just picked up something to regain 50 energy, that may be it... haven't used it in combat yet.

So sounds like I need to rearrange my skill bar so I can more visually see how the melee skills cool down, so I can see what's spammable and what's not. heh.

They do work themselves out. Level 20 is when you can get Lacerate in the Cunning tree. That's a melee move that uses a Tactical Advantage. You'll suddenly start to stop feeling like some weak ranged character.

The old adage about DPS Operatives is you don't start becoming a real class until level 20. Lacerate is a gamechanger. I think it's one of the reason we (and Scrapper) were so lightly played all through the many months of beta I participated in. Lot of people with short attention spans tend to discard the class in the teens.

Until you get Lacerate, you should be getting into the habit of keeping Stim Boost up (well, you should be keeping it up even after you get Lacerate). That helps a little with energy regeneration, and its cooldown is shorter than its effect length.

Backstab is always useful. It's one of your higher hitting damage skills available to you. There's no reason not to use it. That's why you have Kaliyo. So you can be backstabbing things.

Our increased speed while stealthed is low in the Cunning tree. Pick it up and just get into the habit of stealthing up to a group of mobs and opening with a backstab. It allows you to take some of the damage initially, thus not making Kaliyo be the only thing that needs heals after a fight or two, or three. Fight what she's fighting, so as to kill things faster.

You'll also note that a backstab crit can often one-shot normal mobs. :p

As far as snipe spam goes, it's definitely going to feel like you're a poor man's sniper during the teens. You've just spent the previous ten levels using it as your bread and butter skill, and received only two melee abilties-both of which are on cooldown. It's an awkward transition. As I said, the class has a perception of blowing initially. :p Imo, it's one of the better classes by the time you get to 50 though.

Keep at it. Once you get Lacerate into your rotation, there'll be one-two GCDs free from your Shiv/Backstab/Lacerate rotations. Less when you start upgrading Lacerate and eventually you'll have no GCDs free and have to pick and choose what melee abilities to use. You'll only use ranged attacks when you actually have no other choice.

You'll also be gaining TA after each kill, allowing you to sometimes chain a lot of Lacerates together, as well as keeping Stim Boost up pretty much 24/7. Eventually you'll be able to start off every fight with full TA using your opener.

Did I mention the class completely changes once you get Lacerate? That's when you really start advancing as a melee dps. :p

Also, somewhat unrelated, make sure you get Kaliyo a shield for her offhand/shield slot.

Edited by revial

1. Yes you have some ranged abilities, but you are a melee class. All of your GOOD abilities as an operative are 10m or less, which might as well just be melee range. Using shiv is VITAL because it's the only way to get tactical advantage at this level. Backstab becomes free once you get a few points in concealment, not to mention it's your hardest hitting ability. Overload shot and your standard rifle shot are your fillers when backstab and shiv are on cooldown (until you get lacerate).

2. Get that tactical advantage from using shiv (since you're not specced for healing) and use stim boost to up your regen rate. Secondly, we regen at different speeds depending on the level of energy we have. If you get below 60 energy, it slows down. This means you can't SPAM heals, you have to keep your energy above 60 or you will starve yourself. Best idea here is to start healing early and if you know it's going to be a tough fight, be conservative with your other abilities to keep yourself in the green. Your energy will regen VERY quickly if you can keep it above 60. You might have to slow down your abilities a bit to keep it there, but you'll have to slow down a LOT if you run out of energy.

3. We're not meant to be a ranged class. We have some ranged options, but you really shouldn't be using them unless there's a reason to not be in melee range.

Edited by Phated

great advice, thanks all.

Any way to up energy pool or regen rate apart from skill tree options?

At level 15, keeping Stim Boost active all the time is really all you have.

Energy becomes increasingly less of an issue as you level, whether it's from a DPS or Healing perspective.

I play an operative Medic, currently level 12. What amazes me is that people forget about two CC abilities that make melee attacking much easier. Debilitate and Flashbang are your friends! If something can't fight back it's pretty easy to backstab. Edited by SWmmoFan

I play an operative Medic, currently level 12. What amazes me is that people forget about two CC abilities that make melee attacking much easier. Debilitate and Flashbang are your friends! If something can't fight back it's pretty easy to backstab.

I like to Flashbang Republic players, while I ninja their objectives.

This is an issue at lower levels, once you get Laceration it really starts to come together.

If the kriff really hits the fan and your energy dry op's have a cool trick: run like hell. Seriously, just kite the mob around spamming rifle shots while it regens. Its a handy fall back tool you'll use through out your op's life. Trust me on that one.

Overload shot>Snipe. Op's get a skill that increases overload shot by 15% (skirmisher I believe? Haven't gotten EGA yet to check) and it would be your energy capped filler/finisher. I found that since it has a really fast animation, its generally better than shiv/nades to finish mobs off for the TA proc.

They really, really do. Ops grow from an awkward sorta 1/4 melee, 3/4 ranged at the low levels to an insanely flexible and capable class.