SWG players, give up the ghost.

ZionHalcyon

SWG maxxed out at what, 200k sub's?

1 mil log into this game in a month. So even if you hate the housing, you're outnumbered 80 % to 20%, and that's even if all the SWG sub's came over, which they didn't.

Point being, you can be loud about housing, but that doesn't make you right.

Now, get off my pre-hooked lawn you bunch of spice-snorting space hippies! :D

Edited by ZionHalcyon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying your completely wrong in your post, but comparing sub numbers between SWG and SWTOR is not very relevant - It was a different time and the market was much smaller at that time - SWG had a respectable amount of subs for its time just like SWTOR has a respectable number right now.

Give it up man, those disgruntled SWG vets will never stop no matter what you say.

For what it's worth, pre-NGE SWG was a great first MMO experience for me as well. It was definitely more true to the "living in the SW universe" thing than this game.

However, it had massive problems as well which would always prevent it from pulling decent numbers. In the end it was a grindy game where a small elitist community could thrive, but most new players would not stick with it for long.

Not saying your completely wrong in your post, but comparing sub numbers between SWG and SWTOR is not very relevant - It was a different time and the market was much smaller at that time - SWG had a respectable amount of subs for its time just like SWTOR has a respectable number right now.

not to mention, this game doesnt have 1 million subs..that is 1 million log ons...maybe 1/3rd are subs. there arent many subscription games any more. so being number 4 isnt what it once would have been. not a shabby score though, just not the whole story.

But I wanna be a spice-snorting space hippie! :p

As a long standing Chimaera Veteran from Pre-CU right the way through til Shutdown, I've got to say SWG's housing was awesome. I spent a substantial amount of time, energy and credits honing my skills as a decorator to the point that I was consulting on deco projects for 3 or 4 rather large guilds (being a regular customer of their architects probably helped). I honestly couldn't give a hoot about sub numbers and the "my xxxx is bigger/better than your xxxx" arguements.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not decrying TOR's decorating system as A) it's only just come out and B) I've barely got my hands on it yet as I'm still crafting prefabs like mad to stockpile the decoration items I'm going to want. I'm reserving judgement for the moment, I know what I used to do and what could be achieved, I'm willing to see what happens with this system - just because it's different doesn't make it bad, and as many SWG vets might rant...

All I know for sure is that the second I loaded in to the Tat SH, I felt like I'd come home after nearly 4 years in exile, and I'm sure as proverbial that I'm not the only one.

Edited by Forgettableone

I had a bunker and several houses in SWG decked out to the 9s but I'm enjoying the Strongholds, I think my Tat SH is coming along nicely for just one days work. ^_^ feel free to pop on to jung ma and visit if you like, its under Anyamara.

You just have to realize that its different then what you know, and find a way to make it work for you.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

SWG or not, this style of housing customization is a decade old or more.

No free placement, no scale, no rotational axes, no color control, no lighting control (hell, no light from supposed light sources!).

Mentioning the subscription numbers of other games doesn't remove the fact that this system is quite restrictive when compared to its modern day peers (or even ancestors!).

Does that mean it isn't "fun" by some people's definition? No, of course not. But subjective feelings and irrelevant statistical comparisons don't change the basic fact: this system is not as feature-rich as other contemporary offerings.

You may now proceed to absurdly exaggerate my position as "OMG DOOOOOM!" so it can be dismissed from consideration in your mind.

CARRY ON!

Edited by Syylara

I just think anyone who still holds a candle for swgs house decorating needs to get over it.

this game never was, will never be, and was never even conceptualized as a spiritual sequel to Star Wars galaxies. So people who continue to compare it to that failed mmo need to move on get over it and get over themselves

I just think anyone who still holds a candle for swgs house decorating needs to get over it.

this game never was, will never be, and was never even conceptualized as a spiritual sequel to Star Wars galaxies. So people who continue to compare it to that failed mmo need to move on get over it and get over themselves

It wasn't a failed MMO. It was one of the top ones when it was out. Also, it was closer to 400k subs. Not 200k. It bled almost 200k when the NGE hit.

How many FULL servers did SWG have for a lot longer than TOR?

SWG maxxed out at what, 200k sub's?

1 mil log into this game in a month. So even if you hate the housing, you're outnumbered 80 % to 20%, and that's even if all the SWG sub's came over, which they didn't.

Point being, you can be loud about housing, but that doesn't make you right.

Now, get off my pre-hooked lawn you bunch of spice-snorting space hippies! :D

Hehe.

Only if we can get rid of the Wow players, FF players, heck every other MMO player in this forum.

Then we can listen to the crickets. ;)

Hehe.

Only if we can get rid of the Wow players, FF players, heck every other MMO player in this forum.

Well i do also play FF and a couple other MMOs...

*departs after dumping a bucket of carnivorous crickets on the floor*

It wasn't a failed MMO. It was one of the top ones when it was out. Also, it was closer to 400k subs. Not 200k. It bled almost 200k when the NGE hit.

How many FULL servers did SWG have for a lot longer than TOR?

Pfft.

Servers that held fewer people, and the game plateaued at 200k and was starting to hemmorage players BEFORE the CU even hit, which is why they even did a CU and then NGE in the first place.

Sorry, but I can't take someone who is living in la la land and is in denial of the facts seriously.

not to mention, this game doesnt have 1 million subs..that is 1 million log ons...maybe 1/3rd are subs. there arent many subscription games any more. so being number 4 isnt what it once would have been. not a shabby score though, just not the whole story.

No, the numbers were 1 million different players logging in every month.

Hehe.

I don't mind ANY of them.

But I was a part of the SWG community for 5 years, and it was the most toxic, vitriolic, childish and spoiled and self entitled community in the entire history of MMOs. There has never been, from the very first Ultima Online to the MMOs of today, a worse community than that of SWG.

So pardon me if I don't care for their brand of toxicity here.

But I was a part of the SWG community for 5 years, and it was the most toxic, vitriolic, childish and spoiled and self entitled community in the entire history of MMOs. There has never been, from the very first Ultima Online to the MMOs of today, a worse community than that of SWG.

Yeah, and you're just oozing fuzzy warmth, yourself.

Show us where on the doll the SWG playerbase touched you.

Also, it is not required for this game to be a "spiritual successor to SWG" for it to have a housing system that isn't embarrassingly outdated. Your logic works like a pretzel.

Edited by Syylara

Pfft.

Servers that held fewer people, and the game plateaued at 200k and was starting to hemmorage players BEFORE the CU even hit, which is why they even did a CU and then NGE in the first place.

Sorry, but I can't take someone who is living in la la land and is in denial of the facts seriously.

thats not true at all so you must be the one living in la la land and is in denial.

yea they lost quite a few subs when the CU hit but picked back up quite quickly. also there was more people on one planet than i have ever seen on the fleet. and where are you getting your info about the servers holding fewer people??

sounds like you are grasping at straws B^P

like someone else said before this games design elements are dated... very dated for a game that is somewhat new!!! when a game that is what 10 years older than it blows it out of the water it kinda says something don't ya think??

Hehe.

he isn't talking about all SWG players, just the ones who went to this game expecting it to be SWG 2.0 or something and complain about the fact that a themepark and a sandbox mmo are not the same thing.

you must be joking... or on crack!!! i don't know who you hung out with or what forums you hung out in but SWG's community was the greatest i have ever been a part of.

in fact i would prolly say that this games community is the most toxic and childish i have ever seen/been a part of in a game.

wait don't tell me you were actually one of the SWG NGE devs were you?? are you Julio Torres?? if so that would explain your comment!!!

Pfft.

Zion, no offense intended, but if you are going to criticize other folks for not presenting facts, make sure yours are accurate.

he isn't talking about all SWG players, just the ones who went to this game expecting it to be SWG 2.0 or something and complain about the fact that a themepark and a sandbox mmo are not the same thing.

I don't think former SWG players corner the market on unrealistic expectations.

I think the issue is more look nobody is against SWG, nobody is against other players saying this feature is beter then the other.

Heck I still miss city of heroes, and even if they finish the projects I know it will not be city of heroes of the old days.

But am tired people thinking they can turn back the time, without realising what a wonderfull community this game can form.

By all means if it makes you happier go play EMU SWG. But don't forget there is a whole generation of gamers coming up, that want things easy, while I have seen beter housing project, this beginning makes it easier for all to start. And making a virtual *coughs* barbie dream house or a gi joe mansion ;)