Keith almost said it.

GuardianElite

Let me begin by thanking the team for an awesome stream the other day. While the information was most likely not all we wanted to hear or lacked some of the substance we were looking for, it's clear that the guys (and gals) are doing what they can with what they have.

I also wanted to thank Charles and Eric for answering more than four of my questions. That's unprecedented given that several of them were borderline 'trolling'. Still, they were in good humor and good spirits and that says a lot given what is going on in the forums and behind the scenes.

The fact that Keith is my age BLEW ME AWAY. And thank you Keith for making an appearance, I really wish I could make the journey to actually see you guys in NY, but knowing you all, it will be fun in EVERY case. Since I sent you a Zeltron by PM, I wont send you another in thanks; I certainly hope you are using her or at least showing her off....LOL

I love that Keith answered the question about how how many CXP level 300 toons he had with (and I am paraphrasing b/c I haven't watched the stream again):

"...I have 9 going on 10 level 300 characters...so I don't want to hear any 'thing' about it being too hard..."

He almost said it. LOL. I saw the pause when he looked at the camera, I am almost imagining someone off camera cringing as Keith almost said "...I don't wan't to hear any S*** about it being hard..."

Good to know that Keith is human, he plays the game and YES ladies and gentlemen he is one of us.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the word I was missing:

FUN

It was fun. The whole attitude seemed to be different for some reason, compared to streams we had in the past. Like some weight had been lifted off the team or they had reached a place where they were just kicking back and kind of enjoying the moment.

I like that about them. I hope we see more of that from Eric and see a lot more of Charles and Keith. Maybe we can have a NSFW stream where they can REALLY be themselves....LOL

And ERIC...yes, I am looking at you. Give Charles Admin access, yes that was one of my questions about his PMs.

There should be a rule: You show up on a stream, you are fair game to the rest of the community at large....LOL.

(I certainly hope that doesn't scare Charles off)

Just ignore mister "I change my 'Sub Expires' date in my signature every time I extend my subscription." I just assume he's a forum troll.

My Sub was a 3 Month sub, was due to run out on the last day of September. To extend my posting privileges I clicked on TUX's Referral Link and got an extra 7 days, taking me to 7th October.

Depending on the Forum Reset AFTER that date I could, theoretically end up with another 7 days posting after 7th October, because we are only "logged out" of the Forums when they take them down with a Server restart.

I haven't resubbed, I've just used well known (to long term players at least) methods to extend my posting privileges.

All The Best

In response I will say (and this was an addition Eric added to my question on the stream) Keith plays on his own time and on his own dime.

I can attest to that having worked in the field before. Programmers and managers do not have the time to enjoy the game they are working on while they are at the office. You would actually be surprised how time just seems to slip away with all of the planning sessions and meetings, not to mention implementation. And honestly, that is a smaller portion of the business day the actual execution.

Meetings and planning sessions seem to eat up every moment of everyday if BioWare Austin is anything like the technology firm I used to work for.

My other halfs a game programmer and whilst the games he works on are often on his screen it's not to play them per-say but to teat something very specific programmed is working/still working/fixed depending on what the go is at the time, with very little time for deviation from the course. Certainly no time to dig in and do anything productive in terms of game play.

There can be at times a lot of production discussions but more often then not what he is looking at is lines of code... more lines of code and... even more lines of code !

In response I will say (and this was an addition Eric added to my question on the stream) Keith plays on his own time and on his own dime.

Honestly, it is very well possible to grind 10 character to lvl 300 since the start of 5.0

The main thing about this though is that it isn't "fun" enough for most players to actually do it. It is possible, of course, but the lack of incentive, or fun while doing it is what takes peoples away from this. The reward found in doing that isn't interesting enough for peoples to go grind CXP.

It is also the reason why so many rushed through the daily with the bug, because this content was fun again, because of higher population, higher interaction between players, the ease to open thirty crates at once... All of this is fun, sure. Still, it can become boring in the end, because you essentially do the same thing over and over. I was one of the first to use this intensive grind, I was also one of the first to stop it, because I didn't found any enjoyment in that anymore.

If Keith find this CXP grind fun enough for him to grind 10 characters at rank 300 then cool for him. Still, the majority of the playerbase don't exactly find it that appealing, which I can completely understand. ;)

My Sub was a 3 Month sub, was due to run out on the last day of September. To extend my posting privileges I clicked on TUX's Referral Link and got an extra 7 days, taking me to 7th October.

Depending on the Forum Reset AFTER that date I could, theoretically end up with another 7 days posting after 7th October, because we are only "logged out" of the Forums when they take them down with a Server restart.

I haven't resubbed, I've just used well known (to long term players at least) methods to extend my posting privileges.

All The Best

The first three pages of your posting history suggest otherwise but maybe you just had the wrong date in there for months. Anyway, no shame in paying to forum troll I guess.

Edited by bdatt

That's the word I was missing:

FUN

It was fun. The whole attitude seemed to be different for some reason, compared to streams we had in the past. Like some weight had been lifted off the team or they had reached a place where they were just kicking back and kind of enjoying the moment.

This is a really good observation...you're right. The entire stream seemed "hopeful"...something that has been missing for a couple years around here.

Good post!

This is a really good observation...you're right. The entire stream seemed "hopeful"...something that has been missing for a couple years around here.

Good post!

I kind of get the impression that they got okay'd for a budget increase from EA, hence all the new server hardware going in. I'm hoping that it continues to have an impact on development, and loosens up the devs to actually dev more.

Honestly, it is very well possible to grind 10 character to lvl 300 since the start of 5.0

The main thing about this though is that it isn't "fun" enough for most players to actually do it. It is possible, of course, but the lack of incentive, or fun while doing it is what takes peoples away from this. The reward found in doing that isn't interesting enough for peoples to go grind CXP.

It is also the reason why so many rushed through the daily with the bug, because this content was fun again, because of higher population, higher interaction between players, the ease to open thirty crates at once... All of this is fun, sure. Still, it can become boring in the end, because you essentially do the same thing over and over. I was one of the first to use this intensive grind, I was also one of the first to stop it, because I didn't found any enjoyment in that anymore.

If Keith find this CXP grind fun enough for him to grind 10 characters at rank 300 then cool for him. Still, the majority of the playerbase don't exactly find it that appealing, which I can completely understand. ;)

Yesterday after work, I decided to play. I had a choice. I could play my lv 70 sage and continue the grind from like CR 80 as many CR levels possible with all the CXP boosts and do dalies. Or, I could level up (regular levels) my somewhat new Shadow. Because I wanted to have fun, I leveled up my Shadow. I did the Taral V and Maelstrom FPs (the Jedi Prisoner quest), and had fun. Dalies can be fun, but trying to work through all the dalies with the bug feels like "work". And I wanted to have fun, not work.

I kind of get the impression that they got okay'd for a budget increase from EA, hence all the new server hardware going in. I'm hoping that it continues to have an impact on development, and loosens up the devs to actually dev more.

God I hope this is true...this would be awesome!!!

I never really appreciate the "I've done it so everyone can do it" type of sentiment.

At the same time I have to say that getting your characters to 300 is neither hard nor difficult...it's a matter of time played and repetition. So the fight is against boredom not any difficulty in game.

I also am not a fan of this system that basically rewards showing up more than overcoming challenges.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anybody their gear, but I do have a problem with actually achieving something with any difficulty is not appreciated by this reward system.

I took a few months of this year...4 months I think. I have 1 character at 300 and one more at 250 ish. I am just not motivated to care about GC. I could do the GF op 3-4 times in an evening, but I think once is enough because, well, I've done em 100 times already and since SM is completely unchallenging to me, I sometimes actually have situations where I'm healing and my mind wanders off only to snap out of it to remind myself I was actually doing something.

So my progression is slow by my choice. Getting 248 gear is just not even on my radar at the moment. Why would I? 242 is enough and the value of achieving BiS gear has been taken away because any guy can get it with their eyes closed. It's meaningless.

Sure the nerfs came in but for HM it's definitely more than enough and for NiM...well, let's see if I can find a group who wants to do that again that's not a hardcore group (don't care much for that atmosphere). So as long as I don't do too much of it I can enjoy some ops here and there and basically I went back to leveling new characters in the vanilla story.

I could get 300 on all my toons. But really, I just don't really care about it enough to do PvP or wait for RNG to grace me with the right 248 pieces. My 300 toon has one piece so far. Yay?

Getting UCs from disintegration might do the trick. Then I can actually work towards something again. That's the bad thing about RNG gearing like this. There is no plan, it's just waiting on luck. That's not my style.

Edited by Tsillah

Well, here's my take on that.

IF I were being paid by Bioware to play SWTOR I would have 10 or more CXP 300 toons by now.

But as I HAVE TO PAY for the "privilege" of playing one of the worst MMORPG grinds outside of Korean-Grinders my highest CXP toon is currently at CXP 50 or so. And having opened that many RNG crates and got exactly nothing of any use to my Toon I decided that Bioware were taking the p^%$ and stopped playing.

All The Best

Your post is factually incorrect. You don't have to pay. Go to your account options, and click unsubscribe. And, how about you recognize that (despite your disparaging remarks about the game) we are sentient beings who can decide for ourselves.

It's just not that complicated.

Imagine a world where you don't have to pay for things you don't like!

All the REALLY best,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Riiight. I suppose you actually seen this fabled new hardware? Maybe you were there, when they bought it? Do you have screenshots?:D

You are all so optimistic, yet all you have are dev's words. Not the most reliable source of information.