New industry rumors of a KOTOR Remake / Reimagining. Future of SWTOR in question?

DragonSloot

Me too. For KOTOR, It can be great or can really spoil something many have liked, fond memories of for a long time. I hope they take care and figure out why so many still consider this game to be an Icon. Fingers Crossed. Edited by MikeCobalt

You would think that the KOTOR timeline being so far removed from Disney's canon, they'd leave it alone, especially as its so well loved. Going near it in a revisionist way would be akin to rebooting A New Hope - nobody wants such a thing. My feelings on the matter is that Bioware should be given every tool available to it to improve upon SWTOR and continue what they have started, instead of the lack luste support/budget it appears to have been given in recent years.

Having an Etch-a-Sketch attitude to films and games is a lazy way to advance story and should remain in the realm of comic books.

Why?

I don't see where a remaster/remake affects anything about swtor. On the contrary i think it would be beneficial for the extra advertising the series will get. This game is still the latest one story wise.

Also it was already confirmed to us they are planning the 10th anniversary. So, what exactly are you worried about? I don't get it.

You think they will create 2 different concurrent timelines? Sounds unlikely unless they make a swtor 2 as well.

Edited by Nemmar

I am veeeewy afraid of Disney involving themselves in KOTOR. The story and complexity of, in particular KOTOR II, would be anathema to those *** ***** ****** , and a redo after their model would be a disaster to those of us who played and loved these games. However, a completion, graphics update and so on would be most welcome.

EDIT: The ***s are my own censorship,and not the forum's :)

I have been watching Doomcock's YT channel a bit too much lately...

Edited by Berntk

I hold the completely opposite view.

Capcom did a reboot of Resident Evil 2, others have done the same. They have been extremely successful.

The implication of this thread is that somehow those of us who play SWTOR would switch over and play the reboot of KOTOR. The answer is yes, many of us would. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. If KOTOR is re-released in an updated format - yes - I will purchase and play it.

Just like Fallen Order, I had a blast for 25 hours...yet...I'm still here. Never intend to play Fallen Order again, but it was well worth the money.

To the extent KOTOR brings more people into this universe, I'm all for it.

I have read carefully the whole -- Disney has ruined Star Wars -- stuff. I reject it.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Here's hoping.

Yep, I would buy a rebooted KOTOR as soon as it reached the digital shelves, and I'd probably enjoy it as well. However, I detest what Disney have done to the SW franchise, and to force (pun intended) the ToR story into compliance with that would disappoint...

If they basically reskin the old KotOR/TSL games with some engine improvements, but keep the old turn-based system with complementary animations, and the old stories. I think they could have a good market.

If they try to re-write the old stuff they're going to piss a bunch of people off. I'm one of them.

If they basically reskin the old KotOR/TSL games with some engine improvements, but keep the old turn-based system with complementary animations, and the old stories. I think they could have a good market.

If they try to re-write the old stuff they're going to piss a bunch of people off. I'm one of them.

A reboot could be good or bad but I agree dont fix what ain't broke. Keep story the same. But I also say it would make more people interested in Swtor so not a downside.

New industry rumors of a KOTOR Remake / Reimagining. Future of SWTOR in question?

The future of this game has always been in question.

This is one of the few games where not only is the developer not the owner of the intellectual property of the game's content (which is true in several cases not just SWTOR) but the entire player base knows the game is on a clock -- a 10-year contract that we're 7 years into with not so much as a peep from either the developer or the IP holder (Disney) as to whether our investment in the remaining years of the contract will be worth it because it could all come to a sudden, screeching, universe-ending halt.

Edited by xordevoreaux

The future of this game has always been in question.

This is one of the few games where not only is the developer not the owner of the intellectual property of the game's content (which is true in several cases not just SWTOR) but the entire player base knows the game is on a clock -- a 10-year contract that we're 7 years into with not so much as a peep from either the developer or the IP holder (Disney) as to whether our investment in the remaining years of the contract will be worth it because it could all come to a sudden, screeching, universe-ending halt.

Are you the same guy i already tried to explain this to? Swtor was launched before the 10 year exclusivity contract thing began. It's not forcibly attached to it.

It can continue to be licensed individually after the exclusivity contract ends. All depends on what Lucas/Disney and EA want to do. But that's the same for every mmo. All mmo's are on a life timer. They will all close down eventually and come to the universe ending screeching halt. It's not something unique to swtor.

Edited by Nemmar

Are you the same guy i already tried to explain this to? Swtor was launched before the 10 year exclusivity contract thing began. It's not forcibly attached to it.

It can continue to be licensed individually after the exclusivity contract ends. All depends on what Lucas/Disney and EA want to do. But that's the same for every mmo. All mmo's are on a life timer. They will all close down eventually and come to the universe ending screeching halt. It's not something unique to swtor.

Everquest has been running nonstop since 1999. Everquest 2 has been running nonstop since 2004. They are not on contracts. They end when Daybreak Games finally run them into the ground, not when DBG loses any IP license (they own their own content).

It can continue to be licensed individually after the exclusivity contract ends.

You make a massive assumption about EA's willpower to want to compete against other software houses for developing content for the same intellectual property. It's why EA went after such a contract in the first place, to secure their position in the market for this IP.

Have you so deluded yourself to believe that SWTOR would still be around if someone else had the right to put out another Star Wars MMO? Think about it. EA isn't going to spend dime number one against the day that they have to compete in an open marketplace for a bunch of fickle customers like us.

If EA can't keep us around in an exclusive market, they sure as hell won't be able to in an open market, and they know it. No bean counter much less any EA stock holder on earth would tell EA sure, go ahead, piss away money against a competitor who'll wipe you out in a single quarter with a superior game, which, by the way, would be everything current EA customers playing SWOTR have been clammoring for: 64 bit platform, DX12 graphics, multi-threaded core support, far better use of the GPU -- all the technology that any modern company would have the opportunity to toss into their game because they're not locked down to the 2010 technology that SWTOR is locked into.

SWTOR would be blown away in an open market against new competitors. There's no way EA, under that reality, would continue to invest. EA knows it'll be time to pull the plug the day the exclusive contract ends so EA can spare its shareholders a bad investment.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Star Wars games can co-exist with each other, especially if they are different eras. When SWTOR was first announced I was playing SWG and had planned to play both but that didn't happen as such. Of course, there is a emulator for SWG (Legends) that you can play and I still do from time to time and play here.

Star Wars games can co-exist with each other, especially if they are different eras. When SWTOR was first announced I was playing SWG and had planned to play both but that didn't happen as such. Of course, there is a emulator for SWG (Legends) that you can play and I still do from time to time and play here.

Sony's SWG ended 30 days prior to the launch of SWTOR. There was zero overlap.

Cinelinx and IGN are reporting industry rumors of KOTOR getting a soft reboot, a remake / sequel of KOTOR 1 and 2 to bring it into the disney canon.

I'm deeply concerned on what that means for the future of SWTOR.

I answered one question about the future of SWTOR, so I'll answer another here regarding KOTOR.

KOTOR was single-player. It's in a different market segment. It's not a direct feature-for-feature competitor with SWTOR, and as there's plenty of people with their old copies of KOTOR and KOTOR2 kicking around, who may or may not still play SWTOR, any remake, soft reboot or otherwise, won't be a SWTOR killer. Can EA make another one-off of KOTOR and continue to develop SWTOR? Yes.

Another commercially produced Star Wars-based MMO (as opposed to the SWG legends servers floating around) would definitely be a contender to kill off SWTOR, if for no other reason that its very existence meant EA losing all incentive to continue to invest money toward SWTOR. SWTOR wouldn't survive long in an open commerical marketplace swarming with Star Wars MMO hacks (I would say even so much as one) that would drive attention and $ away from EA. As I've posted earlier in this thread, EA's incentive in an open marketplace to continue developing SWTOR against a successful competitor would be zero.

Because of this, as we near the conclusion of this contract (3 years = two traditional 18-month software development cycles, which means 3 years ain't a long time, folks), EA needs to start ramping up some serious noise as to its intent to pursue extension of their exclusive contract.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Everquest has been running nonstop since 1999. Everquest 2 has been running nonstop since 2004. They are not on contracts. They end when Daybreak Games finally run them into the ground, not when DBG loses any IP license (they own their own content).

Fair enough, but they really aren't star wars are they? They are silly worlds no one cares about anymore.

You could better compare to lord of the rings online. Yes, one day they will close down. Some earlier, some later. But it is an inevitability. If that bothers you so much, maybe you shouldn't be playing mmo's.

Fair enough, but they really aren't star wars are they? They are silly worlds no one cares about anymore.

You could better compare to lord of the rings online. Yes, one day they will close down. Some earlier, some later. But it is an inevitability. If that bothers you so much, maybe you shouldn't be playing mmo's.

What bothers me is the lack of transparency on the part of EA. There is zero advertising anywhere on the Web for SWTOR by the company that produces it. It's buried on page 7 of EA's software listing. That's not a good sign.

As the contract nears its end, who will want to burn real-world money on cartel market items, unlocks, content, and subscriptions, for a game that will go dark before there's a chance to enjoy their purchases?

Edited by xordevoreaux

True, but when SWTOR was announced my friends and I had said we would play both and we in fact came to the forums and made accounts on the forums (Mine was created June 9, 2009) and that is also where we met some other people and became friends with them and started doing forum roleplays on SWTOR forums. So while SWG closed prior to the launch of this game, SWG was still ongoing at the time when SWTOR was first announced and some SWG players were going to play both until SWG closed and that is what made people upset.

Edited by casirabit

This is actually one of the first things I expect they'll change. While it may be nostalgic for those of us who played the original, that turn based style of gaming isn't really popular these days. I'm expecting it to be more action based (like Jedi fallen order or Spiderman) and I think it'll have a better crafting/customization system. Also expect it to be fully voiced. None of the silent player character who chooses his lines while everyone else talks.

This is actually one of the first things I expect they'll change. While it may be nostalgic for those of us who played the original, that turn based style of gaming isn't really popular these days. I'm expecting it to be more action based (like Jedi fallen order or Spiderman) and I think it'll have a better crafting/customization system. Also expect it to be fully voiced. None of the silent player character who chooses his lines while everyone else talks.

Making Changes. That's the main issue and it's a very slippery slope. Everybody's threshold is different, from the Purest to the "That's so yesterday" and changes even small ones divide a customer base. As everybody see's with Disney, Star Wars fans get passionate, Quick. I'll keep my fingers crossed on this it could be great or not; just finding what so many people liked so much before.

This is incorrect.

There wasn't a thirty day grace period between the two games. SWG was shutdown on Dec. 15, 2011. Early access for SWTOR began Dec 13, 2011 and SWTOR's official launch date was Dec. 20, 2011.

On topic.

No point in getting worked up about something you have little to no control over, but hey, it's your prerogative. ;)