A better tutorial would be nice.

Znodd

Let me first say that i am enjoying the GSF more and more. I think it has a ton of potential. With that being said i think that the tutorial that is supposed to teach you the basics misses the mark on many points. The problem with GSF as opposed to "regular" pvp is that the player has no base knowledge of how things work. If you level up a sorc and decide to try pvp at level 14 for the first time you will most likely be pretty bad at it. However, you will not be bad due to being unused to the controls of your character. You will already have a grip on how to run, jump and turn, and you know how to target people and so on. GSF on the other hand is a new thing. I think that most players who tries GSF and after 4 matches says "it is a piece of crap" and stop playing it does so out of frustration. Just as there are those who always quit huttball.

The tutorial should cover AT LEAST the basics:

A mock-chase with a moving object. Also being chased by a moving object that tries to lock-on missiles.

A better tutorial for how to use the camera to center on your target, how to identify who is shooting at you and so on.

How accuracy within your firing arc works.

How the different abilities work and what terms like "evasion" or "cloaking" means.

You should have the option to fly all 3 types of ship to get a feel for them.

I am not at all saying that it is impossible to learn "on the job" so to speak, but i do think that more players would enjoy their experience if they felt more prepared. It also has the benefit of helping the team the new players end up in. Just as in pvp (where there should be a tutorial for how to guard a node i think since that seems to be an alien concept for many) the more enjoyable the first impressions are the more likely it is that a player comes back for more. And more regular participants is a net gain for everyone.

this really needs to stay on the front page the developers need to see this

Very true

Why we didn't have an amazing tutorial from the start is beyond me.

When people do not understand things they get frustrated and mad. I feel like so many angry posts could have been avoided if time had been put into a tutorial that was full length and explained F1-4 / Each ship and its uses / How each Button such as F was used / How you could switch buttons in the GSF Keybindings / ect / ect / ect

And then at that point if they didn't listen or quit early it was their own fault for not knowing the game.

But the tutorial is so lackluster even myself was upset when i started to learn new things about the game that i felt really should have been in the tutorial!

+1 to this.

Give newbies a chance, by making them practice stuff, the basics they will need to be at all effective. Give them an idea of what they will need to work on, I mean, not ask them to perfect it.

Similar to another post, I worry that a combination of learning curve and gear could see people ditch GS because they're too outmatched when they start.

Edited by Wainamoinen

+1 to this.

Give newbies a chance, by making them practice stuff, the basics they will need to be at all effective. Give them an idea of what they will need to work on, I mean, not ask them to perfect it.

Similar to another post, I worry that a combination of learning curve and gear could see people ditch GS because they're too outmatched when they start.

They could make a series of quests with fleet or ship req as a reward. But ultimately I'd like to be able to enter a private area to practice flying and shoot moving targets etc. without the stress of having someone on my six.

Just ran through the 'tutorial' then jumped into 3x GSF matches...

TBH I don't really have a clue of what I'm doing. I barely hit anything and died very quickly - certainly to quickly to actually get my bearings. I don't mind a degree of difficultly but I feel pretty clueless and out of my depth.

Until there is a better tutorial I doubt I'll be back for more :(

Fully supported. The tutorial should not only be much longer, but it should also contain a few turrets that fight back.

I agree - let there be a "tutorial introduction" mission, with turrets that shoot back, and, once the player captures all the objectives, they're given a one-time 5k Requisition bonus for initial ship customization.

YES!!!!

I mean: I concur a more refined tutorial covering more than just capturing a node and trying no to fly into asteroids would be of greater assistance that what we have now.

It would, in my opinion, already be an improvement if, the tutorials didn't pop up while I am learning how to fly. I find it annoying that they tell you how to fly, give you a few seconds and then load you with more information before you have familiarized yourself with the movement controls. Perhaps several tutorials would be better? The first tutorial would consist of a maze (or lots of asteroids :D ) so you can learn how to fly, the second tutorial has stationary enemy turrets and a node (like what we have now) that teaches you how to capture a node, and the last tutorial would then only have moving objects that you have to destroy (perhaps they should fire on you and lock on missiles :confused: ).

Being able to get a feel of your own starship before your first actual battle also be a great help, at least, to me it would. :p