Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Does BW Intentionally Break Game During Double XP Week?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Does BW Intentionally Break Game During Double XP Week?

MorseGod's Avatar


MorseGod
06.14.2019 , 07:15 AM | #1
Last double XP week had problems. This time, we got a patch that screwed most guilds out of setting an invasion target for a day until a fix was deployed, broken guild banks, and lag so severe that some folks still can't play.

You guys are messing with us, right?
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

BlueWanderer's Avatar


BlueWanderer
06.14.2019 , 10:50 AM | #2
Double XP weeks are typically done to promote a patch....
Patches typically have bugs.
The bugs are probably due to laziness rather than malicious intent.

Jdast's Avatar


Jdast
06.14.2019 , 12:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MorseGod View Post
Last double XP week had problems. This time, we got a patch that screwed most guilds out of setting an invasion target for a day until a fix was deployed, broken guild banks, and lag so severe that some folks still can't play.

You guys are messing with us, right?
Your post was not helpful. It was entirely lacking and devoid of reason.

Ergo: Since your post was not helpful, I'm not clicking on your referral link.

Dasty

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 07:15 PM | #4
I doubt it’s intentional. But it always happens because they introduce new features at the same time. Why can’t we just have a double xp week when the game is running smoothly instead of when we are beta testing a new feature for them.

It’s counter productive because people come back for the double xp and end up leaving just as fast when they are reminded why they left in the first place.

jedimasterjac's Avatar


jedimasterjac
06.14.2019 , 08:36 PM | #5
So, with your logic:

BioWare Dev 1: "Hey Steve. I know we've got a big event coming up which will lead to an increase in subscribers and players and playtime. I had an idea."

BioWare Dev 2: "Alright James, what is it?"

BioWare Dev 1: "Why don't we intentionally break the game, so that we then risk driving off this influx of players?"

BioWare Dev 2: "By golly James, you're a genius! We have no reason to do this, but it sounds brilliant!"
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

DzastinBiberi's Avatar


DzastinBiberi
06.14.2019 , 08:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I doubt it’s intentional. But it always happens because they introduce new features at the same time. Why can’t we just have a double xp week when the game is running smoothly instead of when we are beta testing a new feature for them.

It’s counter productive because people come back for the double xp and end up leaving just as fast when they are reminded why they left in the first place.
I agree.

Just to add, they never extended lost hours/days of double xp event, like ever. It wouldnt hurt if they did.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 08:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DzastinBiberi View Post
they never extended lost hours/days of double xp event, like ever. It wouldnt hurt if they did.
Agreed. This would be a sign of good will for f’ing it up in the first place,

Suzsi's Avatar


Suzsi
06.14.2019 , 08:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Agreed. This would be a sign of good will for f’ing it up in the first place,
Have to admit this is probably the only MMO I know of that doesn't toss players a reward when they mess uo peoples ability to play the game. Usually in most others its to extend sny events etc they may have missed out on while their play was effected, like the double xp

-

~~ Always looking for more Theron Shan and Aric romance. ~~

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 08:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
".... so that we then risk driving off this influx of players?"
Sadly, this is what happens every time they do this promo because there is a problem 9/10 times

They need to only run the promo when they are 100% sure there won’t be bugs caused from changes.
I think you unintentionally pointed out, the problems drive of the influx of players. That is a major concern and I cannot fathom why Bioware keep making this same mistake.

They should only do the promo a few weeks after the changes or a few weeks before.
If they do it a few weeks after, they also need to make sure they are super ready to fix any problems for those two weeks before the promo. If they can’t fix them in that time, they should be prepared to roll them back till after the promo.

If problems do crop up during the promo. They need to be on the forums straight away to let people know they are working on it, not 2-3 days later when people have already left. Then they should be ready to offer the promo again as soon as they have properly fixed the problem.

It’s obvious the OP is frustrated, the same as most of us. The title of the thread is obviously sarcasm. But it’s also partially true because Bioware should known by now this happens nearly every time. So running the promo when there is going to be new changes that nearly always have problems is in a way breaking the game during double XP. I don’t think they consciously go out of their way to ruin the event, I think they don’t take risk management serious enough and feel they “will get it right this time” and therefore charge ahead as usual.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 08:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzsi View Post
Have to admit this is probably the only MMO I know of that doesn't toss players a reward when they mess uo peoples ability to play the game. Usually in most others its to extend sny events etc they may have missed out on while their play was effected, like the double xp
People would be more forgiving and patient if they had this approach.