Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Add variety and content. Stop the focus on gear

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Add variety and content. Stop the focus on gear

FourPawnBenoni
06.13.2019 , 01:13 PM | #1
Here's my main point. The way that game trending is going, it needs to be easy to jump in and play. People don't want to spend time grinding gear anymore than what 4.0 era had. All these things with tacticals and amplifiers are unnecessary.

When your content revolves around doing things to get gear then its not going to attract people. Even WOW is bleeding subs.

Worried that pvp is too stale? Then add a new class and class story. That will add variety to game as well as pve content. Doesn't that sound more fun than grinding stuff to find optimal amplifiers?

Then you can spend more time on creating better maps, better ranked ideas, better operations, balance, etc

jedimasterjac
06.13.2019 , 01:36 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by FourPawnBenoni View Post
Worried that pvp is too stale? Then add a new class and class story. That will add variety to game as well as pve content. Doesn't that sound more fun than grinding stuff to find optimal amplifiers?
They can't just do that, lol.
Sure it might be grand, but it's simply not happening.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

Rion_Starkiller
06.13.2019 , 01:42 PM | #3
People can get hours/weeks/months of enjoyment playing around with builds and gear sets (i.e. new class meta), but new content is old and stale after a week. This is also why I'm baffled they never added new classes, subclasses, or specs.

"Sure you've done X content 100 times, but have you done it on a Ninja???" <player creates a ninja and does X content 20 more times>
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

MikeCobalt
06.13.2019 , 02:01 PM | #4
I play Story only. To me "Gear" is basically a Non Issue. Just doing the Heroics for the money is good enough on my typically casual rate. FlashPoints (especially the Older ones) is for the experience and sometimes associated Deco's. I really prefer the old flashpoints, they are longer and so many cut scenes/ dialog they're almost like mini stories in themselves; longer and more story then some of the planet expansions themselves. The GC to me is fluff, no importance at all. I do like to get better parts for my gear, but I'm certainly not going to spend any time more then I feel like grinding.

Celise
06.13.2019 , 02:02 PM | #5
The biggest problem i have with gear isn't the grind, but the runaway power creep that frankly isn't needed in this game. You got all these rated gears between 128 uncommon and 230 artifact that aren't being used any more and just keeps going, when 6.0 arrives, 230, 234, 236, 240, 244 and 248 will be written off and something like 256 is the new basic rating, it seems pointless to give it a higher number and keep advancing it.

If the developers readjusted the rating down to 134, 138, 140, 144, 148 and put some of those into legendary, changed the numbers but kept it all powerful. constant checks and balances wouldn't be needed and it would allow the developers to focus their efforts on other things, even new operations knowing what they know about the rating being static and could tailor their entire experience around it. It really doesn't need to increase or change as it is redundant idea beyond the illusion of something better.

MingusPho
06.13.2019 , 02:16 PM | #6
Actually the issue is there are no radiant quests and no evolving dungeons. Everything is the exact same every time you play it. Same mobs, same number of mobs, standing in the same spot, in the same room, using the same strategy as the last thousand times you played it. The most enjoyable mmos have quest generation and randomization features instead of the same quests on repeat.

Suzsi
06.13.2019 , 02:34 PM | #7
I'm tired of reading about gear! I'd like details about other parts of the expansion like say companions and story. Something to actually look forward to. Grinding 999 levels isn't it.

-

~~ Always looking for more Theron Shan and Aric romance. ~~

commanderwar
06.13.2019 , 03:02 PM | #8
Gearing is an important part of an MMO, if people find it fun or not, if they can customize their builds, it's one of the most important deciding factor for most people on how long their gonna stay with this game, if the gearing not fun then they will leave.
here's my refer a friend link
http://www.swtor.com/r/QWYrwx

cibacrome
06.13.2019 , 05:07 PM | #9
The focus on gear is absolutely necessary, IMHO. Ossus was a case-study in how to frustrate your current player-base, and it's up to Bioware to fix it and make good.

I am looking forward to being able to grind for and fine-tune gear to suit my playstyle. Ossus grind was off balance, and hope devs get a lot of feedback and data during PTS ... and ACTUALLY FIX things that are turning off the majority of testers before rolling out the expansion.

I also hope the expansion has a well acted, amazing story, gorgeous environment, and the new operation will keep raiders like me occupied for a long while. Then again I'm also keenly aware of how much more resource intensive story / environment development is vs. gearing and combat balance, and probably not going out on a wild limb assuming SWTOR's budget is an infinitessimal fraction of what it was during Vanilla development.

ForfiniteStories
06.13.2019 , 05:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cibacrome View Post
The focus on gear is absolutely necessary.
Quote: Originally Posted by cibacrome View Post
Ossus was a case-study in how to frustrate your current player-base.
How is frustrating the player base absolutely necessary?