Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

super lag on SF Dantooine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

michaelcshow's Avatar


michaelcshow
06.14.2019 , 07:33 PM | #21
dantooine lagging on star forge

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 07:40 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by michaelcshow View Post
dantooine lagging on star forge
Damn, I was just going to login.

What instance were you on and how many people were there? I noticed there is less lag when I use the pvp instance because there are usually less than 10 people.

DakhathKilrathi's Avatar


DakhathKilrathi
06.14.2019 , 07:56 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Iíve no issue with testing it out under load. What I do have a problem with is beta testing something during double xp/CXP weeks.
If they are going to do changes like this, bring them in when double points isnít on or offer double points again as soon as they fix it.
This sort of thing happens nearly everytime they have an event like this. I can only imagine how many people come back to the game and get quickly turned off by it again.
You shouldnít run these events unless you know the game is 100% solid. You donít use the time to load test to see if the players can break it.
The week should be about getting players to come back and fall in love with the game again. Not come back and remember all the bad crap that made them leave in the first place.
The events are the reason the load on the servers are so high, though, and if it only breaks when the population is like this, then what else can they do? I don't think the servers would be struggling so much if there weren't so many people around. It's a lose/lose situation if you're Bioware.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 08:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
The events are the reason the load on the servers are so high, though, and if it only breaks when the population is like this, then what else can they do? I don't think the servers would be struggling so much if there weren't so many people around. It's a lose/lose situation if you're Bioware.
They are loaded enough under normal circumstances to test features like this new conquest system. They donít need to be super loaded to test for bugs or lag issues.

Like I said, Iíve no problem testing this stuff when double xp isnít on. But when itís on, the game should be stable or itís actually driving off players who are coming back to play double xp. The more times that happens, the more it enforces their negative opinion about the game. Eventually they donít bother coming back for any reason. Sometimes it only needs to happen once to solidify their opinion. But you can nearly guarantee that if it happens multiple times, those who have left before, wonít come back the next time.

Most retail businesses know that you donít run promos if youíve got no stock or you arenít set up for it or the products are poor quality. It leaves a bad taste in consumers mouths and drives down the brands name. Do it too many times and people ignore the business or brand entirely. That is retail management 101.

Essentially games are a consumer retail product. If the customer has too many negative experiences, they are driven away. Of course a brand can sometimes get those customers to come back and they get a chance to build some good will. But if they do come back, you want to make sure that experience is good and not bad or you do more harm to the brand than if you hadnít run the promo.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
06.14.2019 , 08:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
They are loaded enough under normal circumstances to test features like this new conquest system. They donít need to be super loaded to test for bugs or lag issues.

Like I said, Iíve no problem testing this stuff when double xp isnít on. But when itís on, the game should be stable or itís actually driving off players who are coming back to play double xp. The more times that happens, the more it enforces their negative opinion about the game. Eventually they donít bother coming back for any reason. Sometimes it only needs to happen once to solidify their opinion. But you can nearly guarantee that if it happens multiple times, those who have left before, wonít come back the next time.

Most retail businesses know that you donít run promos if youíve got no stock or you arenít set up for it or the products are poor quality. It leaves a bad taste in consumers mouths and drives down the brands name. Do it too many times and people ignore the business or brand entirely. That is retail management 101.

Essentially games are a consumer retail product. If the customer has too many negative experiences, they are driven away. Of course a brand can sometimes get those customers to come back and they get a chance to build some good will. But if they do come back, you want to make sure that experience is good and not bad or you do more harm to the brand than if you hadnít run the promo.
I came back fairly recently to kill some time. Turns out I took killing time too literally. This is some M. Night Shyamalan stuff. Double XP... with a twist. The infrastructure was dead the whole time.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

DakhathKilrathi's Avatar


DakhathKilrathi
06.14.2019 , 09:11 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
They are loaded enough under normal circumstances to test features like this new conquest system. They donít need to be super loaded to test for bugs or lag issues.

Like I said, Iíve no problem testing this stuff when double xp isnít on. But when itís on, the game should be stable or itís actually driving off players who are coming back to play double xp. The more times that happens, the more it enforces their negative opinion about the game. Eventually they donít bother coming back for any reason. Sometimes it only needs to happen once to solidify their opinion. But you can nearly guarantee that if it happens multiple times, those who have left before, wonít come back the next time.

Most retail businesses know that you donít run promos if youíve got no stock or you arenít set up for it or the products are poor quality. It leaves a bad taste in consumers mouths and drives down the brands name. Do it too many times and people ignore the business or brand entirely. That is retail management 101.

Essentially games are a consumer retail product. If the customer has too many negative experiences, they are driven away. Of course a brand can sometimes get those customers to come back and they get a chance to build some good will. But if they do come back, you want to make sure that experience is good and not bad or you do more harm to the brand than if you hadnít run the promo.
I feel like maybe you're not getting the point I'm trying to make here. I'll try to state it very clearly.


If this problem is one that only occurs when the server is under high load - such as you see when double xp is on - then there is no way for them to test it without the population that the event brings. If they did what you're asking and turn it back on later, then the very next time they have double XP we would just have the same problem because they couldn't test their fix.

Or worse, it would totally kill the launch of the expansion, which is going to be way bigger than a double XP event that they run every couple of months.

Get what I'm saying? Without the population to test the fix with, they can't test the fix. If they did what you're asking they would just delay it until the next double xp event.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.14.2019 , 09:23 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
I feel like maybe you're not getting the point I'm trying to make here. I'll try to state it very clearly.


If this problem is one that only occurs when the server is under high load - such as you see when double xp is on - then there is no way for them to test it without the population that the event brings. If they did what you're asking and turn it back on later, then the very next time they have double XP we would just have the same problem because they couldn't test their fix.

Or worse, it would totally kill the launch of the expansion, which is going to be way bigger than a double XP event that they run every couple of months.

Get what I'm saying? Without the population to test the fix with, they can't test the fix. If they did what you're asking they would just delay it until the next double xp event.
I know what you are saying, but I think you are incorrect. The bugs and lag are also happening outside of prime time, when the servers have less people on them than during normal primetime outside of the event.
I know this because I mostly play at times when the servers have the least amount of people on them and the lag and bugs are still there. So the changes could just as easily been tested under normal load and your assumption is flawed.

What you misunderstand is ďeverytimeĒ they run double XP, this sort of s**t happens. It creates a bad impression of the game for returning players.
Bioware should not be beta testing new content while running a promo. All it does is drive more people off who will never come back after being burnt everytime.
Maybe if they offered the double XP again after they fix it, they would instill enough good will to get ďsomeĒ of those people back. But Bioware never, ever do this. Even when theyíve fíd up a whole week of double XP. This is also why them beta testing during the double XP is such a problem.

If you canít understand how it causes more problems doing it this way, well, you obviously think like Bioware do and only highlights why you are wrong.

Shipwright's Avatar


Shipwright
06.14.2019 , 09:40 PM | #28
For me, on SF, it is everywhere. In addition, the usual companion issues are even worse.

Command a companion to attack, and they run backwards, out of range, and freeze. Also, they tend to run around frantically in combat usually at the start.

Moving NPCs are a mess. I am often told they are "out of range" even if a meter away. Most often this is with probe droid NPCS enemies but it is not exclusive to them.

Also unable to loot them as they said to be too far away. I am right next to them.

DakhathKilrathi's Avatar


DakhathKilrathi
06.14.2019 , 10:05 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
What you misunderstand is ďeverytimeĒ they run double XP, this sort of s**t happens.

lmao what

No. They run double XP every couple of months and I don't remember the last time it was broken like this for this long. Source please?

also notable it's felt more or less fine tonight even on Dantooine so whatever they're changing is in the right direction. I'd rather do it now during yet another double XP event that they hand out like candy than have to deal with it during xpac launch.

Stellarcrusade's Avatar


Stellarcrusade
06.14.2019 , 10:12 PM | #30
I agree with both Dakath and Trix. You are both probably a bit correct. But I lean towards Daks suggestion of just living with it while they fix it. Usually from a dev standpoint it is more efficient to simply fix the issue, and the best time to do that is under load for extreme testing. So I'd say lets cut them a little slack and most likely they'll have it fixed before the bulk of players returning just for the new content will see it anyhow.