Thoughts on weekly ops lockouts

I would love to be able to "practice" EC by doing it more than once per week.

I understand that lockouts are to prevent rapid gear inflation. I would be happy to run EC a second time and not get the gear from it, just to smooth out some of the sloppiness we have on some of the fights.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? What do you'all think?

The problem is this is far too exploitable. Allow me to explain.

This is the "loot lockout" idea. Meaning that when you down a boss once, you would become ineligible for loot for the remainder of the week.

Sounds great, right? It isn't.

Many guilds (including my own) steamroll EC HM. We're talking 8-man clears in less than 90 minutes. Now because armoring carries the set bonus, you can put all the gear in legacy gear and transfer to alts. So this means a seasoned group of raiders (say 7) can bring in an alt, the alt gets all the loot (he's the only one eligible) and you will fully gear out a character in 90 minutes. Even worse, because of what i described, you could effectively geared out the locked out player.

SM is for practice. It just can't work out any other way.

It also prevents burnout. I never say no to a OPS that will help people get geared. When my guild and its alliance was first getting geared, I was doing 3 and four Ops per week with my healer and had to turn down another 3 or 4 because of lookouts. Without lockouts I never would have gotten another character leveled and most likely would have burned out. ;)

I would love to be able to "practice" EC by doing it more than once per week.

I understand that lockouts are to prevent rapid gear inflation. I would be happy to run EC a second time and not get the gear from it, just to smooth out some of the sloppiness we have on some of the fights.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? What do you'all think?

it is done this way because of the games inherent mechanics. now because of them people are getting, have gotten and are bored. the typical mmo raid lockout of 3-5 days doest work well with mod switching in gear. it works well to get a entire gear piece but not when you can get a leg and put the mod and enhancement in the hat you need to upgrade.

if you want practice then have another run with alts. by now most people should have several 50s as the game is rather stupid easy to level and get raid prepared. my suggestion is to do that. you can learn a lot from playing from a different toons perspective in a raid.

I will copy my post from the other recent thread on this topic:

The best solution would be to get rid of the lockouts on the older operations. Everyone should realize that the one and only purpose of lockouts is to force people to space out how often they can repeat content, thus keeping them subbed for longer. However, I think we can all agree that no one is going to stay subbed just to get in another EV or KP run. Few players have any need of the gear drops, and even the ones that do will still need to make the jump to BH/Campaign afterward, so repeating EV/KP multiple times a week and getting to full Rakata in a matter of days shouldn't matter. The only reason that most people I know ever do EV or KP is because they are bored and have nothing else to do while they wait for their Denova runs to come unlocked on Tuesday. Wouldn't it benefit everyone if you could relieve your boredom more than once per operation per week? I, for one, am considering unsubbing soon because of the constant boredom. If the new operation isn't totally awesome, I'm gone. However, if I could run random EVs or KPs every day when I have nothing else to do, I might just stick around. Same goes for Denova once the new operation comes out.

I can understand the fear of getting "overrun" on an operation. I wish I had a choice though ...

As far as the rewards, my intention regarding the reward limitation was to handle it the same way lockouts are already handled. Example:

If you are brought into a KP when the group is already at the Fabricator, and you aren't locked out of anything, once you kill the Fab you're locked out of Bonethrasher and the Foreman Crusher too.

So let's say you've completely finished an operation. You wouldn't be able to join one where the raid leader didn't have a full lockout. And if you started an op with the intention of doing a "loot-less run", anyone who joined you also wouldn't get any loot.

It's not the best idea in the world necessarily. Just would be nice to have the option specifically to practice the fights we're wobbly on in EC.

I

It's not the best idea in the world necessarily. Just would be nice to have the option specifically to practice the fights we're wobbly on in EC.

This is a perfectly reasonable reason to want more open lock outs IMO. BUT the pain it will cause long run will not outweigh the benefits .My suggestions are

1. DO the run on alts to tighten up.

2. Deliberately wipe if you're not learning and try again.

3 Learn from your one attempt a week.

This is a perfectly reasonable reason to want more open lock outs IMO. BUT the pain it will cause long run will not outweigh the benefits .My suggestions are

1. DO the run on alts to tighten up.

2. Deliberately wipe if you're not learning and try again.

3 Learn from your one attempt a week.

If I enjoyed my Alts half as much as my Main then I would agree with you but as this is not true I disagree strongly.

I like my Main and Alt are only for emergencies not just because the game has no good ideas for playing mains.