Gav Daragon is a ROLE PLAYING server Mkay?

Ailie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am heavy role player but I never roll on RP servers because it breaks my immersion. They are always full of people spouting off their back stories and trying to ignore game mechanics instead of incorporating them into the experience. If someone is trolling it being an ******e they are role playing an ******e. The real world has ******e so it would be weird to have a fictional world without them.

Funky names? It's science fiction who doesn't have a funky name? Even funky names in a fantasy setting can make sense if you use your inagination. I generally find the people who call themselves RO to be the worst role players, completely obsessed with some obscure internal story they are trying to play out. The developers are the dungeon masters and mechanics of the game is the design if the world and if your character doesn't fit in the world then your failing as a role player.

Pretty much this, I RP a serial killer sometimes and just gank any and all players I come across as possible....yet people say Im just being a troll and ruining their RP experience.....yet Im rping.....Its a wierd conundrum where its like "HEY YOU'RE NOT RPING THE WAY I WANT YOU TOO SO YOU'RE NOT A RPER YOU'RE A TROLL!" when in fact I am Role Playing by the actual role playing rules...Im playing the role of a psychotic serial killer -.-

Reality is that server type gets little or no consideration when many players choose where to play. These people tend to pick a server because they have RL friends there, friends from previous games there, it the highest average population for the region, they liked the name, or they just picked at random.

This is why you end up with people who seem to have a personal loathing of RP on the RP servers. Though you should at least get less of these people on an RP server than a non-RP server.

I originally rolled on the old Kath Hound RP server not because I expected to do much RP, but because my internal image of the average player on RP servers is more to my liking than the alternatives. A few months before the first server mergers, my guild all rerolled onto Ebon Hawk because Kath Hound's population was not in great shape. Had the guild leaders chosen a non-RP server, we'd have still probably all switched because people put higher priority on playing with people they know than server type.

In the end, it's not too much to ask that players on RP servers realize what type of server they are on and not make active attempts to disrupt the RPers on the RP server. Nobody is forcing you to take part, leave the area, or choose a different server. Just keep playing your game instead of stopping to harass others trying to play theirs.

Respect is EARNED.

True in some regards, but common courtesy is a form of respect that should be offered to all by default. It helps to make the world a better place to live in, and that's almost as applicable to virtual worlds as it is to the real one. Courtesy was common in western countries until relatively recently. People who are too young to remember this should ask their parents. Those who are old enough to remember it but haven't yet grasped the concept may need to ask their social worker or probation officer instead.

look at all of you. Are your horses high enough or do you want to get a ladder?

Anyone who does not play the game like you want to play it is branded a "Moron". You protect your servers like its your personal property. And on top of that, you all come here and talk of how you should be treated with respect. PFFFTTT

Anyone who plays this game on any server has the right to choose any name they desire as long as it is not offensive and has not been taken up by someone on the same server. Those are the rules, read them and weep.

How do you know that the person calling himself Sir Humpsalot is not roleplaying a valiant jedi knight with a sex addiction problem which leads him to the dark side.

Please get off your high horse. Respect others before demanding they respect you. No wonder people like rolling on RP servers even when they dont RP, at least it gives them someone to laugh at.

Edited by sankalp

Anyone who does not play the game like you want to play it is branded a "Moron". You protect your servers like its your personal property. And on top of that, you all come here and talk of how you should be treated with respect. PFFFTTT

Anyone who plays this game on any server has the right to choose any name they desire as long as it is not offensive and has not been taken up by someone on the same server. Those are the rules, read them and weep.

How do you know that the person calling himself Sir Humpsalot is not roleplaying a valiant jedi knight with a sex addiction problem which leads him to the dark side.

Please get off your high horse. Respect others before demanding they respect you. No wonder people like rolling on RP servers even when they dont RP, at least it gives them someone to laugh at.

While this post was unneccesary, it is nice of you to give us an example of the kind of players the OP was talking about.

We already know what your opinions are, the issue at hand is getting you out of the RP server.

Come on Allie, the real reason for this post is cause you don't want the APAC servers to merge.

I'd wager half of the RP griefers you mention are due to your holier than though attitude in the APAC thread

When you stop thinking only about yourself, people might respect you a bit more.

How do you know that the person calling himself Sir Humpsalot is not roleplaying a valiant jedi knight with a sex addiction problem which leads him to the dark side?

Then I would gently suggest to that person that Roleplay doesn't need to center around their sex organ.

A person with a sex addiction problem falls to the Dark Side and renames himself Sir Humpsalot? That's not roleplay. That's not even imagination. Its just a really dumb roleplay premise.

That person better enjoy Roleplaying solo, because its the only Roleplay they'll get. Unless they find other deviants like them, which sadly, happens more often than you would think.

Roleplayers have every right to be upset about people harassing them on a Roleplay server for Roleplaying. The PvPers would be up in arms, baying for blood, if Roleplayers started rolling on PvP servers and harassed PvPers for PvPing.

Respect. You have to give it in order to get it back.

Edited by CaptRavenous

Not sure why the OP bothered making this psost. there are always trolls who come onto RP servers to well.. troll RPers. fact of life. best to just ignore em. Honestly I kinda feel bad for the people on GD. this guy's ill advised post as proably just effectivly advertised open season on the roleplayers there.

Why did you bother making this post? The OP is stating a very real and valid frustration. Your post does not progress the discussion and appears only to be a horrible attempt at elevating yourself above the OP on some sort of imaginary social ladder. If you really think the average person who reads this post will then go to the server to grief people because of it, you're ridiculous.

With that said, you are correct that RP servers will inevitably always have trolls, but from personal experience, I can tell you that it is a problem, and while reporting those players for harrassment does help (as what they are doing violates the terms of service many times depending on the scenario), it is very frustrating when you have people on RP servers with not only no intent to RP, but every intent to disrupt the RP of others around them.

Come on Allie, the real reason for this post is cause you don't want the APAC servers to merge.

I'd wager half of the RP griefers you mention are due to your holier than though attitude in the APAC thread

When you stop thinking only about yourself, people might respect you a bit more.

Bang on!

You should know that no person over the internet is decent, without the fear of reprisal.

That simply isn't true. Most folks prove otherwise.

Now the jerk will always play the jerk unless it's no longer amusing or he's forcefully removed.

Yeah, you really need to understand that you are in no place to cast judgement on others with statements like this. See what you have to understand is that Bioware DOES give everyone the right to play this game, but why is it that everyone should have the right to play by a different set of rules on any server they play on? Do you agree that those who play on pvp servers should be bound by the rules of pvp? That if they are killed by another player in the open world it happens because they are on a pvp server? Yes? If we expect pvp rules on a pvp server, why is it we cannot expect RP rules on an RP server? That is the issue at hand, and imho a very valid one as currently there really are no rules on RP servers that can be enforced with the exception of some extremely blatant disruptions of certain RP events thanks to a couple parts of the terms of service.

Yeah, you really need to understand that you are in no place to cast judgement on others with statements like this. See what you have to understand is that Bioware DOES give everyone the right to play this game, but why is it that everyone should have the right to play by a different set of rules on any server they play on? Do you agree that those who play on pvp servers should be bound by the rules of pvp? That if they are killed by another player in the open world it happens because they are on a pvp server? Yes? If we expect pvp rules on a pvp server, why is it we cannot expect RP rules on an RP server? That is the issue at hand, and imho a very valid one as currently there really are no rules on RP servers that can be enforced with the exception of some extremely blatant disruptions of certain RP events thanks to a couple parts of the terms of service.

However the background to Ailie is that they are a big fish on a very little server and their real goal is to somehow have BW not fix population issues in APAC and leave a server with only 300 people on it at peak times just for their own benefit.

I've rolled on Gav and Dalborra and Master Darnala.... Immature issues are minor (in fact minuscule) on APAC and its very easy to ignore.

And Ailie seriously is one for over exaggeration when it comes to these occurrences. Ailie is very fragile and has the opinion if you run on a pvp server you're a lowbie ganker and if you're a pve server player you're some pre-pubescent teen however if you RP then you are some superior being of above average intellect and breeding.

Gav Daragon is hardly a cesspool of filth. The OP seriously needs to buy a bag of concrete and harden the **** up.

However the background to Ailie is that they are a big fish on a very little server and their real goal is to somehow have BW not fix population issues in APAC and leave a server with only 300 people on it at peak times just for their own benefit.

I've rolled on Gav and Dalborra and Master Darnala.... Immature issues are minor (in fact minuscule) on APAC and its very easy to ignore.

And Ailie seriously is one for over exaggeration when it comes to these occurrences. Ailie is very fragile and has the opinion if you run on a pvp server you're a lowbie ganker and if you're a pve server player you're some pre-pubescent teen however if you RP then you are some superior being of above average intellect and breeding.

Gav Daragon is hardly a cesspool of filth. The OP seriously needs to buy a bag of concrete and harden the **** up.

Ahh, fair enough. I don't have any prior experience with Ailie, so I assumed this was more of a common occurrence on the server in question. If it's the little things in question, those battles are typically not worth fighting.

While this post was unneccesary, it is nice of you to give us an example of the kind of players the OP was talking about.

We already know what your opinions are, the issue at hand is getting you out of the RP server.

Why was the post unnecessary? because I don't conform to your rules?

Also, you cannot get anyone out of any server. The server is not your personal domain. Please respect others opinions if you want others to respect yours.

Then I would gently suggest to that person that Roleplay doesn't need to center around their sex organ.

A person with a sex addiction problem falls to the Dark Side and renames himself Sir Humpsalot? That's not roleplay. That's not even imagination. Its just a really dumb roleplay premise.

That person better enjoy Roleplaying solo, because its the only Roleplay they'll get. Unless they find other deviants like them, which sadly, happens more often than you would think.

Roleplayers have every right to be upset about people harassing them on a Roleplay server for Roleplaying. The PvPers would be up in arms, baying for blood, if Roleplayers started rolling on PvP servers and harassed PvPers for PvPing.

Respect. You have to give it in order to get it back.

How is that not rolepaly? Does it say that roleplaying cannot be about sex addiction? Who makes the rules? You?Allie? the person who wants to Roleplay Sir Humpsalot?

As for RPers harassing PvPers, that is something I would like to see :)

Who cares?

No, seriously. If I was on an RP server, then I'm only paying attention to the people RPing. I could care less what some foolish name someone picks.

There is a VAST difference between picking a name (and acting silly) and being a d-bag and trying to deliberately ruin someone else's RP.

If the OP is saying they are trying to run RP events that are announced and people disrupt them, I can't see how that is ever a good thing or should be excused.

If the OP is saying they should not have to put up with anyone who doesn't RP the way they do, then they need to get down off their high horse.

Finally, if the OP is saying you can't have a name like Captain Jack Arrow or Kone'An the Destroyer because it's disruptive, then I laugh and ignore.

Excuse me? Do I even know you? Please, love to know what nerve I hit somewhere along the line.

Look regardless of what people THINK I did this post for, I posted it purely because I was angry at some immature little pissants who clearly picked the wrong server to play on. Whether it was intention or not, I don't care, it's not the point. If it was, it's even more reason to have them punished for intentional griefing rather than just being a ******.

So no, there were no alterior motives to making this thread other than to

a. point out to people that this is an RP server

b. perhaps suggest to Bioware that additional rules or attention needs to be placed on controlling harrassment

That's it, sorry to burst all your bubbles. Honestly, talk about a complete over reaction and taking a thread totally off tangent and into a personal issue.

As for all the other merger stuff, no I don't want the servers merged. I'm entitled to that opinion and frankly, I'm also entitled to fight to keep the servers as they are, just like everyone else is entitled to fight for the mergers. Coincidently, I don't have any issues with the server pop at all, I have more than enough people to play with, if others do sorry but it's not really my problem. Others trying to get the servers merged and possibly disrupt my enjoyment of the game IS my problem and I choose to fight it. Again, sorry if that bursts anyone's bubble.

I can sympathize with the sentiments of the OP.

However, I have been on the Gav Daragon a decent number of hours over the last couple of months, and while it is an RP server, not once in that entire time have I ever seen ('overheard'), anybody RP'ing.

The closest anyone gets to RP is to stand around jumping and dancing, while making random emotes. The vast majority of talk is just people asking LFG's for flashpoints.

People are surprisingly well behaved though. I've only ever seen one person mouthing off, and they were shut down very quickly.

EDIT: To be fair, though, given it is an RP server, I agree that people should RP in peace if they choose to do so.

Edited by Kirjalax

If the OP is saying they are trying to run RP events that are announced and people disrupt them, I can't see how that is ever a good thing or should be excused.

Exactly

If the OP is saying they should not have to put up with anyone who doesn't RP the way they do, then they need to get down off their high horse.

Not at all, I honestly don't get where this came from. I'm complaining about people who have no respect for RPers on RP servers, that's it.

Finally, if the OP is saying you can't have a name like Captain Jack Arrow or Kone'An the Destroyer because it's disruptive, then I laugh and ignore.

Ahhh no, but there are certainly limits on names. The examples you gave make perfect sense, calling your characters Twatsicle or Titsorgtfo is just stupid let alone any conotations with RP.

Ahh, fair enough. I don't have any prior experience with Ailie, so I assumed this was more of a common occurrence on the server in question. If it's the little things in question, those battles are typically not worth fighting.

No, you don't have any prior experience with me. Although I do find it amusing that you'd choose to trust the word of a random forum poster than the person themselves when making judgements on character.

I can sympathize with the sentiments of the OP.

However, I have been on the Gav Daragon a decent number of hours over the last couple of months, and while it is an RP server, not once in that entire time have I ever seen ('overheard'), anybody RP'ing.

The closest anyone gets to RP is to stand around jumping and dancing, while making random emotes. The vast majority of talk is just people asking LFG's for flashpoints.

People are surprisingly well behaved though. I've only ever seen one person mouthing off, and they were shut down very quickly.

EDIT: To be fair, though, given it is an RP server, I agree that people should RP in peace if they choose to do so.

:/ Not sure how to respond to this except to say, a lot of RP happens that is not out there for everyone to see. Without chat bubbles etc it's often hard to RP in populated areas because the chat boxes just move so fast so we do tend to find a nice quiet corner, turn off general and off we go.

I've seen this mentioned a lot and we're starting to encourage people to RP more openly but again, it comes back to my original post. People aren't likely to RP if people are going to follow them around and keep dropping party bombs on them. The event we were running for example was taking place on the Temple forecourt on Tython, but we had to move it to inside in a tucked away location to avoid these people. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when RPers feel like they can't RP openly on a server designed to allow them to do so.

Edited by Ailie