SV & Dreadguard

You can definitely do SM S&V in Dread Guard gear, especially augmented and min-maxed. It will not be a roflstomp though. The best analogy would be doing SM EV in level 45 gear. It works, and once you're all familiar with the mechanics you can get through pretty easily, but it's not a gear smash by any means.

HM S&V definitely has tighter requirements, especially on the later bosses. You should try to get at least a few pieces of Arkanian for everyone before you go into HM. That should allow you to progress at least up to the puzzle, using the drops you get along the way to accelerate your progression. The final boss is very, very tight in hard mode. People on the PTS were clearing it in full Arkanian, but not pleasantly. Unless you're a god among raiders, you're probably going to need to have replaced all of your group's Dread Guard pieces by the time you get to that point.

Ok question # 2,

Can you physically walk into the instance at lvl 50 or 51? I am not tryint to weasel out of lvl'ing; its just that I have so little free time in April.

While I haven't tried entering with a 50 I believe S&V is limited to 55's only, TFB can still be used be 50's though despite the rebalancing.

You can definitely do SM S&V in Dread Guard gear, especially augmented and min-maxed. It will not be a roflstomp though. The best analogy would be doing SM EV in level 45 gear. It works, and once you're all familiar with the mechanics you can get through pretty easily, but it's not a gear smash by any means.

HM S&V definitely has tighter requirements, especially on the later bosses. You should try to get at least a few pieces of Arkanian for everyone before you go into HM. That should allow you to progress at least up to the puzzle, using the drops you get along the way to accelerate your progression. The final boss is very, very tight in hard mode. People on the PTS were clearing it in full Arkanian, but not pleasantly. Unless you're a god among raiders, you're probably going to need to have replaced all of your group's Dread Guard pieces by the time you get to that point.

What gear is there between Dread Guard and Arkanian? Didn't think it was as bad as SM EV in level 45 gear o.o

What gear is there between Dread Guard and Arkanian? Didn't think it was as bad as SM EV in level 45 gear o.o

There is Level 55 purple gear purchasable with Basic Commendations, it has a rating of 156 (DG is 150)

When I was looking at the vendors on the PTS, it really didn't seem much of an improvement over my min-maxed Dread Guard.

So technically it would be a tier in-between, but more practically, I'd use Basic Comms to gear up companions, and wait for Arkanian for my main.

So technically it would be a tier in-between, but more practically, I'd use Basic Comms to gear up companions, and wait for Arkanian for my main.

Unless you're a tank, wherein it would behoove you to at least swap out your armorings for the increased armor rating.

As far as gearing thing of the 3 new tiers like tionese/columi/rakata. Tionese was just kind of a an interim gearset that got you to something you'd keep for a while. Same with the 66s you get from makeb/basic comms/HM FPs. They just allow you to do HM FP/SM Ops to get your 69 gear which you need for HM Ops. You can still do all content below HM Ops in 63s so far as I know. That said, new augments (+30ish mainstat!), relics and gear sets; you're going to want to start getting some of those upgrades.

Unless you're a tank, wherein it would behoove you to at least swap out your armorings for the increased armor rating.

Well, for 4 out of 8 pieces, anyway. I like the 4-piece set bonus on my Shadow too much to lose it.