Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Macros belong in TOR.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why Macros belong in TOR.

AlrikFassbauer
05.18.2013 , 01:17 PM | #961
Quote: Originally Posted by Dauthuzen View Post
I have read this thread and the controversy about macros.

I am in full support of the use macros.

I have used them in my WOW days.
TL;DR : "I want SWTOR to be WOW in Space":

Quote: Originally Posted by Theagg View Post
This. There are numerous reasons why some players will have difficulty inputting key presses in the manner most players are accustomed to. Loss of function in a hand (or both hands) due to damage or disability, perhaps they are missing digits. And so on.
I agree to that.

But sadly - the whole "game industry" is not going to help them. Or otherwise they would have developed special versions of games for handicapped people.

Gameshalo
05.30.2013 , 09:36 PM | #962
100% AGREE!!! Macros would be nice. Im running a Corsair K90 gaming keyboard and it would be nice to get the macro keys going . Especially for this game which i spend most of my time playing more then any other mmo at the current moment.

SOULCASTER
05.30.2013 , 10:59 PM | #963
N-N-N-N-N-N-Necro! Nice job!

The Soulcaster Legacy
Port Nowhere | Prophecy of the Five | Star Forge

Asoni
05.30.2013 , 11:14 PM | #964
Lord, 97 pages of an argument about a function that is in every other MMO but this one. Now back into topic.

As has already been said many times in the first 10 pages of this thread, macros are not a substitute for the skill of a player. They do not allow you to do anything more than you would normally be able to do. The bottom line is, I have abilities that are off of the GCD. Now, since everyone hates macros, let me explain the GCD to you. It's there to just put time between abilities. The only reason we need this time is so that we can't chain those abilities to /castsequence macros. In fact, in a /castsequence macro the GCD doesn't quite matter, because it's already up by the time one ability has finished. It doesn't automatically cast the next ability in the sequence, you have to press the button yet again, and why would anyone want to do that unless you are just bad, because, well, you can now no longer react. If you are so against people doing this in macros, well the point is it won't matter cause you will still be the better player; they won't be able to do anything to you because one interrupt and their sequence goes back to the beginning.

Now, onto the next thing, Macros will allow you to activate things off the GCD all at once. DPS CD + Item. Why should I press two buttons after eachother, or put my hand into a weird position to press two buttons at once, when I could just macro these things that are off of the Global and use them at the same time. I mean if it is already off the global then that means that I can use them together, it's game functionality that allows me to do that. Example, I come from WoW (don't flame me, I actually enjoyed raiding, and raid led for quite a while) I play two main toons on WoW. An affliction warlock, and a resto shaman. Starting my Lock rotation, I'd press R for my curse, and then depending on the fight would activate my DPS cd's and pots which are off the global. I had those in a single macro to my F key. So my rotation would end up being R, F, then 1-6, modifiers for AoE abilities, watch for when I would need to soul swap. On my Resto shaman, well it's quite hard to heal 10 man heroics and 25 mans without mouse over healing macros. End of STory. It's not that I"m less skilled, it's the fact that there are 20k different things going on my screen at once, I"m watching my position, the unitframes in the center of my screen. I'm looking for when I need to activate my big healing cooldowns. Simply put if you didn't use a macro for nature's swiftness + unleash elements to throw out a healing surge on a spikey tank, then you were quite frankly just bad.

I am in support of macros not because I"m used to them, I can play just fine without them, and am a pretty damn good healer. BUT using the macros allow me to free up an action, or if I don't have to worry about missing a key when I'm trying to move and heal at the same time, then yeah I welcome them.

Now all of that being said, I welcome macros to a usable extent. I am not a fan of addon's. the UI in this game is as customizable as it needs to be honestly. (Bigger buff's and debuffs would help me out guys like seriuosly!). Add-on's are not necessary at all, but with macros BW can easily put restrictions on the macros. WoW had macro restrictions, just put a character limit, and don't allow recursive macros, or embeddable macros (don't allow a macro to call itself or another macro). I'm all for that.

TLR- Macros help you as a player. Don't knock something just because you think it puts you above a curve of someone else.
- Anyone who makes /castsequence macros is retarded.
- Character limit on macros, and not allowing them to call themselves, or another macro is an easy way to fix all of the debate.

**** Excuse the Wall of text. I read 10 pages of this thread and had to post though. ***

nicusor
05.31.2013 , 12:14 AM | #965
macro = no skill
Here for the fun ( kill Jedi )

AlrikFassbauer
05.31.2013 , 04:26 AM | #966
Quote: Originally Posted by Asoni View Post
Lord, 97 pages of an argument about a function that is in every other MMO but this one.
Wrong.

DDO has no Macros.
Or as far as I know only for colouring the chat and messages.
Not for movement, abilities etc. .

And Herokon doesn't have any Macros, either.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

midianlord
05.31.2013 , 05:16 AM | #967
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowSoljer View Post
Essentially what you want is this:

One button that does all the work for you.

Get some skill and you won't need macros. GG
^^This.^^

/Thread.
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)

limenutpen
05.31.2013 , 06:43 AM | #968
Quote: Originally Posted by Asoni View Post
(Bigger buff's and debuffs would help me out guys like seriuosly!)
Just a note, that these where introduced in 2.0. You can make them any size you want now.

Mohrb
10.30.2013 , 08:25 PM | #969
Biggest reason for macros, imo is situationally available abilities. I.e. the trooper shot that's only up when the target is disabled. Would be nice to prioritize that without staring at your cast bar for it to light up. And yes, the executes. Target at 50% health, obviously unavailable... But down around 40%, you start either wasting gcds waiting for execute to be ready... Or spamming other abilities and only having a chance to execute when the target is down to 15% health and there's no point using it over another skill that would likely finish off the target.

Essentially, less time staring at your action bars, waiting for reflex abilities is a good thing.

Ghostee
10.30.2013 , 09:29 PM | #970
cast sequences are something completely different (though the same name) if you actually read the OP (or the TLDR....) he just wants focus target support.

which now that I think about it might help PUGS... instead of saying "everyone attack dumbnamexx" or "focus down the jugg now now now" itll be like macro set target of my focus target.... now attack and apply my leet skillz
(██████████████████████Ξ█}}//////////////{{█Ξ██████████████████████)