Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Macros belong in TOR.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why Macros belong in TOR.

Raansu
01.27.2014 , 02:43 AM | #1041
Quote: Originally Posted by madtycoon View Post
read the thread, especially what the OP is talking about

you are arguing macros are bad, because of cast sequence macros

OP doesn't want cast sequence macros

Swifty one shot macros are cast sequence, because WoW allows things off global to be throw into the same macro with one keypress. Not what he's asking for.

I personally want. Focus support macros. Arena 1-4 macros. Party support macros. Arena Focus macros. Stopcasting. Could care less about mouseover. It would only be efficient in warzones/ops where you can't bind all your teammates. Not cast sequence

People arguing against macros don't really understand what they bring. They probably don't want to learn more keybinds. They probably don't play off a focus frame. They probably click on things like their party frames and aren't looking to multi-target. Which means they aren't looking to reach the skill ceiling. 99% of the player base probably falls into this category, which means macros will never be added.

The developers could make using focus, targetting and stopcasting better by adding more keybind options (stopcasting, arena 1-4, focus arena 1-4), making hotbar keybinds override the focus modifier, making enemy nameplates clickable and synching party frames inside an ops to party 1-3.

They don't need to add macros to fix those problems. But macros would be an easier solution to the above, plus they would allow people to bind abilities to individual teammates or enemies (based off arena frame positioning).

These things have nothing to do with cast sequence macros, but a bunch of people are probably going to argue "durrrrr, macros are bad, cuz back when i played wow 5 years ago i could put all my abilities on one keybind"
The game already has multiple focus targeting modifier keybinds built into the game. So how about no? Developers stance to macros has always been no. Its not gonna happen so stop bumping this old *** thread every several months. Macros are for scrubs, learn to use the tools within the game that 99% of you never use.

AlrikFassbauer
01.28.2014 , 05:29 AM | #1042
Macros would be an advance over casual gamers, because casuals don't use macros, especially after long days of work ...

But, most of you hate casuals anyway, I guess ...
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

XXcaesar
03.01.2014 , 11:06 AM | #1043
i just thought i should point out anyone that would like a 1 key kill sequence they need to just get a SWTOR Razr keyboard

here is how its advertised

Extreme Anti-Ghosting for Multi-Key Press Destruction
The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Gaming Keyboard by Razer™ complete anti-ghosting of up to 10 key presses to let you further expand your repertoire of boss-killing, Flashpoint-destroying, and world-exploring macros and skills. With the ability to execute more than a single key command at one time, it’s an absolute competitive advantage for taking your game to the next level.

i know this tread is not for this type of macro's i just wonted to point out at some point all macros were going to be aloud i think something went wrong during development and to save face they said we are not supporting any macros
and now there stuck with it

AdrianKross
05.22.2014 , 12:00 AM | #1044
Personally, I'm sick of trying to complete a warzone when half the other team are rapidly moving back and forth unnaturally. It is a load of crap if you ask me that Bioware hasn't hired GM's to police that behavior. The problem with macros is it does not matter how much time you invest into getting better at the game, gearing yourself out or coming up with a good build, because some talentless dipstick with a macro can beat you regardless.

It's the same as hacking. You are abusing a third party program in order to provide yourself with an advantage the game was not designed for you to have. I report this behavior and am told I need to report every individual player who is using this hack that allows them to nightcrawler like teleport back and forth repeatedly. Is bioware going to pay me to do a GM's job? Not likely. It's ruining my enjoyment of the game because I work damn hard to build my characters and to figure proper rotations and the best skills to use for what class. I do great in warzones usually, unless some no talent moron is macroing then I can't land a hit because they're glitching all over the screen and seem to be able to break any amount of stuns I put on them.

The talentless and lazy will always support and abuse macros and they will do so to the expense of those who actually take the time to learn how to actually play a game properly. When warzones are about who has the best macro, skill has left the game and the skilled players out there follow suit.

DarthBloodloss
05.22.2014 , 12:17 AM | #1045
Some macros are allowed. I asked a dev on these forums and he replied directly to me. I'm sure its there still if all old posts remain.

The dev basically said that any macro is allowed, as long as it only activates 1 ability per macro use. Meaning, you could use a "priority" macro so that 1 button can be used to fire off several different attacks. As long as pressing the macro key only activates 1 ability for 1 GCD, you are fine. You can use that same macro and just spam it.

So there are no complex, multi-ability macros but you really shouldn't be using macros that way in the first place. (In general...not a rule)
---
Just for the non believers, here is an example of a very basic macro that has basically zero downside to use. Its not necessary by any means, but its just a small example of what is possible:
Any time you use your rage builder (assault?) as a sith warrior, it always checks first to see if the rage builder with CD (battering assault?) is available. If not, it fires the non-CD version anyways.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Zoom_VI
05.22.2014 , 06:14 AM | #1046
Quote: Originally Posted by AdrianKross View Post
Personally, I'm sick of trying to complete a warzone when half the other team are rapidly moving back and forth unnaturally. It is a load of crap if you ask me that Bioware hasn't hired GM's to police that behavior.
You don't happen to mean strafing sideways rapidly and then abruptly reversing directions, while also turning around behind the target? Because if you are that's not a macro that's just strafe keys + mouse turning.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

howieloader
05.22.2014 , 08:41 AM | #1047
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
You don't happen to mean strafing sideways rapidly and then abruptly reversing directions, while also turning around behind the target? Because if you are that's not a macro that's just strafe keys + mouse turning.
When will Bioware nerf mouse turning???

DarthOvertone
05.22.2014 , 11:56 AM | #1048
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Some macros are allowed. I asked a dev on these forums and he replied directly to me. I'm sure its there still if all old posts remain.
Welcome back dude.

Quote: Originally Posted by howieloader View Post
When will Bioware nerf mouse turning???
hahaha
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

StrikePrice
05.22.2014 , 02:20 PM | #1049
My mouse has macros, but I don't really need them for this game. They can make life a lot nicer if you have them -- I love the Rift system, for example, but they are not strictly necessary. Fundamentally, it would be nice if the game supported macros and add-ins, but the devs are too lazy to implement them.

funkiestj
05.22.2014 , 04:40 PM | #1050
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Phillip from BW security giving the official position on macros

Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

Text Macros
Strictly speaking, text macro's are against the ToS. ...

One click 'enter chat, type 'inc snow!', hit enter' text macros designed to warn others is completely against the ToS. You need to make a decision - do I take the time to type 'inc snow' to the ops group, or do I just keep fighting this person... Think of it as an evaluation on if you are using a tool that gives you an unfair advantage over somebody not using that same tool.
So, you can be in voice chat (pick your favorite -- mine is mumble) and say "3 incoming snow" and that is within the ToS but if you use a macro to type "inc snow" in the chatbox that is violating the ToS because the macro gives competitive advantage

For more amusement read this post in which Phillip establishes some concrete precedents to ponder. In this post Phillip says

Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

II thought I was pretty clear that one input action must equal only one action in game, but obviously not -
In context of the thread we learn that Phillip's idea of one action in game is a Microsoft Windows key/button press event being sent from the operating system to the SWTOR client.

The more stupid readers of this thread probably thought (as I did) that an "in game action" would be an action another toon would be able to observe in game (e.g. casting force storm or performing the /dance emote). You are welcome.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?