Trooper Captain Title

Korin

I noticed the same thing when I got to that part of the story, however the title became available right after you finish the quest/mission that she gives you then. Some kind of bug/mistake on BW's part.

Hey bro, how come you didnt come to Legions of Lettow server along with the majority of the Greeks? :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retired US Army SFC here and long time sci fi geek.

First off, as already stated, all branches of the military have Captains. An Army Captain commands a company, about 100 - 200 people. A squad leader is generally a Sgt. Officers and enlisted ranks progress in tandem, it's not linear. If you're a Sgt Major (the highest enlisted rank), you're done, that's as high as you go (it takes 15 - 20 years to get there). You might start out a private, go to OCS and become a Lt but you don't get to the highest enlisted rank then become a Lt.

Bottom line, ranks are totally screwed up in SWToR but I believe they are based on the concepts from Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. The book, not the incredibly retarded movie. In the book, rank progression was linear, you got promoted from a higher enlisted rank to Lt. This actually makes a lot of sense since technically, in the real world, a Lt with 6 months time in service can order around a 30 year Command Sgt Major.

So, your trooper being a Captain and having 4 people under him doesn't make a whole lot of sense but neither does a squad leader who can't actually lead a squad in the field and has to choose only one member to go along while everyone else sits in the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Retired US Army SFC here and long time sci fi geek.

This actually makes a lot of sense since technically, in the real world, a Lt with 6 months time in service can order around a 30 year Command Sgt Major.

This is true, but if the Lieut is smart, he (or she) will listen to the advice of the Sgt Maj.

For those that don't know, a Naval Capt is the same rank as an Army/Air Force/Marine Colonel. Also, a military Captain (or any officer) would outrank a civilian Captain. As there can only be one Captain on a ship, any other Captains (Army, Air Force, or Marine) is given a temporary and honorary promotion to Major.

Major Thanks and Appreciation to anyone who has served or is serving in the military.

Former USAF, E-3 (A1C)

Edited by SJackson

in the sense of Sci fi and other games there is normally the commander rank that lead a special force squad when i served in the Norwegian army we had a captain lieutenant that was leading our troop,

iirc in the start of the trooper story your old CO he held the rank of commander while aric jorgan was a LT

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Havoc_Squadron_%28Republic_Army%29

that wiki info also says that the leader of havoc Squad(Squadron) was a commander

Looking through a couple of character lists from the Clone Wars Series we can see two "fighting" captains:

http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/characters/rex/

http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/characters/argyus/

There are probably more and if my son was at home and not in school he could probably give me a complete bio on all of em :p

Rex is the most relevant one considering he is a Trooper (granted he is a clone version) and he is an active fighting soldier.

Just because the rank is there doesn't mean it would belong on us.

Captains are people who sit in the back, in the ships, boats, whatever, directing the course of battle.

If you want to be a captain, fine by me, go play Command and Conquer.

You are talking navy and they are direct line of combat if on a warship. Army and Marines Captain command Company sized units and are expected to be in the field with their units. Major can command a field company, but are typically Battalion level and are in the forward area not far from the front lines.

I thought Smuggler's had the name captain, which is why the trooper class didn't....?

I don't want to seem like I'm trolling, but it seems to me that people don't actually read other people's posts, just respond... It has been said a few times that you do get promoted to captain and that you do get the title of Captain. I have it. I got it, as was posted earlier, once I was done with the extraction mission on Tattooine.

Again, not meant to be a troll post, but if people would actually read a little more, kinda like opening ears and closing mouths...

• 3 weeks later...