Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are there an abundance of tanks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Are there an abundance of tanks?

Alogical
01.20.2012 , 05:18 PM | #1
Are there an abundance of tanks in this game? I realize that it is completely server dependent but from your perspective would it be easier for me to find groups for endgame operations such as EV if I switched to dps spec? Or should I be fine as a tank?

Liralen
01.21.2012 , 02:15 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Alogical View Post
Are there an abundance of tanks in this game? I realize that it is completely server dependent but from your perspective would it be easier for me to find groups for endgame operations such as EV if I switched to dps spec? Or should I be fine as a tank?
From what I've read here, this game suffers from the "there can be only one tank" syndrome.

Tanks are also expected to lead the group.

Tanks in SWTOR don't have as much aggro control abilities that people are used to from other MMOs. And so get a lot of grief from SWTOR n00bs, especially dps who are not used to controlling their aggro.

These factors result in a lot of low level groups needing tanks. One out of four needs to be a tank.

When it comes to end game raids, though, it's only 1 out of 8 or 1 out of 16.

People who know this may be reluctant to roll a tank. So at low levels, tanks are in high demand. But at high levels they are not.

Gankstah
01.21.2012 , 08:41 AM | #3
At first, yes. The ranks are already starting to thin though. At least on my server; Anchorhead. I attribute this mostly to PvP. Most people are speccing DPS or rerolling.

Also, look for yourself around these very same forums. There's no shortage of people that simply can't get over how tanks function in other games compared to TOR. Hence all the, "Zomg tanks r teh sux fix it nao!" threads.

TOR Tanking isn't easy mode. Those who can't cut it either quit, reroll or out themselves on the forums with their incessant whining.

Cheeseblaster
01.21.2012 , 03:31 PM | #4
I guess it depends on what type of tank.

I'm never at a loss for work on Flashpoints as a Vangaurd Tank.
"This is war not kindergarten, suck it up"

unclekaula
01.22.2012 , 10:36 AM | #5
Im on Kellars Void (named China, Immortal jug) and I get random requests from people begging me to tank. I'm either super awesome or theres a shortage of tanks....

vobra
01.22.2012 , 10:47 AM | #6
If you play a tank the there an abundance of tanks but not enough healers.
If you play a healer then there an abundance of healers but not enough tanks.
If you play a dps then your screwed.

Marak
01.22.2012 , 11:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Liralen View Post
From what I've read here, this game suffers from the "there can be only one tank" syndrome.

Tanks in SWTOR don't have as much aggro control abilities that people are used to from other MMOs. And so get a lot of grief from SWTOR n00bs, especially dps who are not used to controlling their aggro.

These factors result in a lot of low level groups needing tanks. One out of four needs to be a tank.

People who know this may be reluctant to roll a tank. So at low levels, tanks are in high demand. But at high levels they are not.
^ That.

TOR Tanking is all Highlander mode. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

vobra
01.22.2012 , 02:04 PM | #8

I never really understand this point. There no LFG its pretty easy to say something like I sorry I don't know tactics so can someone else explain it. And if that no good then I'll leave and you can get a better tank. Or just threaten to kick a dps out of group if they can't understand how to control agro.

Liralen
01.23.2012 , 12:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by vobra View Post
I never really understand this point. There no LFG its pretty easy to say something like I sorry I don't know tactics so can someone else explain it. And if that no good then I'll leave and you can get a better tank. Or just threaten to kick a dps out of group if they can't understand how to control agro.
Yeah. I've never understood it either. It didn't used to be like that in the old days, just something I've observed since MMOs' went mainstream.

However, because of the "there can be only one" tank attitude, and the fact that tanks don't have the tools to hold aggro on everything, plus the game mechanics, where mobs appear at four corners of the room AFTER the fight begins, and the fact that the old school concept of "pulling" just does not exist in this game, means that dps must off-tank. So you can't boot them for doing what really must be done.

Gives me fits as a healer, but just gotta deal with it. I never play in PuGs BTW, just with family and friends, using Teamspeak, none of whom would want to upset me (my husband, my son, and my son's two best friends). Those who play dps and pull aggro do so with my whole-hearted approval, based upon the mechanics we've run into so far.

I much prefer our two-tank groups, on the rare occasion when levels and being available occur. Much easier on the healer to have an off-tank who is the main assist, which if there is only one-tank, cannot be the main assist.

But PUGs don't find that efficient, even though it works very well.

So I don't play with them. I solo with my tank instead, if no one else I know is on or wants to group.

Revan-the-knight
01.23.2012 , 12:40 AM | #10

pfeh, i did the Black Talon at lvl 10 with only three dudes in my group( me included), all DPS, i was a marauder, one sniper, one Sorceror, and the sorceror didnt train his heal at the time, he was broke and we used my vette Companion, it went easy enough