Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ashara VS Other Companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Ashara VS Other Companions

Heyitsando
01.13.2012 , 11:17 AM | #21
Ashara is just a *****.

urborror
01.13.2012 , 11:23 AM | #22
They basically MMOed-up the worst aspects of the frustrating "influence" system from KOTOR 2, which locked you out of conversations you wanted to hear because of arbitrary nonsense. But in KOTOR 2 you could at least explore your companions up to a point--TOR locks you out of their characterization *entirely* if you don't play an idiotic stat-boosting game.

I'm level 43 Sith Sorcerer, 2 planets to go, and barely interacted with my companions (did two missions for Khem, "welcome" convos for others, that's about it.) I was intrigued by the Jedi lady and the nerd, but never bought them gifts since it's just a vapid chore I didn't care about. There's so much else to consider, boosting companion affection wasn't big on my priorities.

I guess I was supposed to buy gifts for everybody to unlock conversations? And there's a gifting cooldown so you can't just make a one-stop trip and max affection? Ugh.

Basically my companions aren't real characters to me, and I have no attachment to them whatsoever--since I didn't play the gift game throughout the game.

MandelynRain
01.13.2012 , 11:30 AM | #23
Yes there are multiple conversations with your companions that unlock and even some little side quests. The gifting cooldown is like 30 secs so you can't back to back give but you can save up a bunch then distribute them all at once. Upping their affection also increases the success they have in the crew skills (I think that is what it affects), so to me it is more than worth getting their affection's up.

urborror
01.13.2012 , 11:48 AM | #24
<Yes there are multiple conversations with your companions that unlock and even some little side quests. The gifting cooldown is like 30 secs so you can't back to back give but you can save up a bunch then distribute them all at once. Upping their affection also increases the success they have in the crew skills (I think that is what it affects), so to me it is more than worth getting their affection's up.>

I'm more complaining about it from a game design perspective, not cost/benefit. Bioware should be hurling unique class content at you to encourage re-rolling alt characters, not locking up unique class content in a chastity belt. As a player blundering through my long, long story, I really missed the Bioware "Mass Effect" companions while not really comprehending I was supposed to be playing some stupid game that makes no narrative sense to unlock their conversations and content ("it's Khem's birthday! Who's a big monster now!!!")

Forget crew skills, once you hit level 30, level 30 conversations should open up with every companion. My class story just felt emptier and crappier without regular companion dialogues.

Maybe I'll go try to buy some gifts now, though, but apparently people in this thread can't even figure out how to game Ashara's affection. Sounds pretty unfun to me.

TheHauntingBard
01.13.2012 , 12:01 PM | #25
Actually I would put her AND the droid in the air lock.
Both of them add little to nothing to the story, they feel forced in.
One is just a freaking stalker the other ones goes QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.
Stephen Reid - 9:02a.m. - January 11th 2012 - because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

daeseer
01.13.2012 , 12:04 PM | #26
I end up ESC'ing out of conversations pretty often because I can't figure out what she likes.

In fact, now that I'm "involved" with her, she's actually popping up as +105 affection for some Dark Side choices! Fickle, for sure.

But honestly, I think it's a really interesting challenge to figure out what conversations options she'll like and which ones she won't.

Spoiler

Ultratron
01.13.2012 , 12:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHauntingBard View Post
Actually I would put her AND the droid in the air lock.
Both of them add little to nothing to the story, they feel forced in.
One is just a freaking stalker the other ones goes QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.

Not true at all. If you're a light side sorc/assassin the conversations with Ashara are some of the most interesting in the game.

Spoiler
"Ladies, chivalry isn't dead. It's just taking a vacation until you figure out that being equal blows."

Onager
01.13.2012 , 02:24 PM | #28
Clicked thread title thinking it was about making Ashara fight your other companions.

Came a way feeling pangs of regret.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

Pardessa
01.15.2012 , 03:27 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
Clicked thread title thinking it was about making Ashara fight your other companions.

Came a way feeling pangs of regret.
Made my day sir.

As horrible as it sounds I'm glad to hear this isn't exclusively an SI female problem. Then again I'm bummed because I was looking forward to rolling a SW lol.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who is frustrated with Ashara. I've managed to get her up 3.5k. Thankfully I don't buy gifts they are just gifts that I get from doing my Underworld Trading when I have no metal missions. Still its really upsetting to give her an epic gift and only get 66 affection ><

Guess it will either be fixed or it won't. Either way,she's a pain in the butt. May you all enjoy your suffering with me XD.
Noblesse Obliges

Karkais
01.15.2012 , 03:52 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultratron View Post
Not true at all. If you're a light side sorc/assassin the conversations with Ashara are some of the most interesting in the game.
Sure, IF you are light side. Its a completely different matter when you are dark side!
Ill just copypaste what I said in another thread:

Asharas convos are in-depth and so is her character.. The problem is that she doesnt feel at all dark side. Its like youre having philosophical debates with her about the merits of light and dark sides. Like she is a student doing her .. whatever that work is called in english.. and youre the professor overseeing her. (sorry for language barrier)

I say FORCE LIGHTNING If I cant take a more proactive role in guiding her.. The player character is ridiculously inactive in the convos and basically just waits to hear what she comes up with.

These kind of philosophical debates would suit light side 10000000 x better.

Thankfully she doesnt seem to be going for the romance that much anymore.. Cause I will turn her down now. She annoys me to no extent thanks to Bioware.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III