Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nerf Guard!

Foambreaker
07.24.2017 , 09:23 AM | #1
50% damage reduction, no cool down lasts until death.

/stupid overpowered

This is why healers are so hard to kill; healers without guard are not that hard to kill.

To make it even more stupid DPS have this.

septru
07.24.2017 , 09:30 AM | #2
Or maybe don't tunnel the healer and use actual strategies to work around healer guard problem.

And lets be honest here, most tanks suck and won't guard swap until its too late. That should give you some idea of which strategy to choose.
-Prum, Satele Shan
"The real endgame is general chat."

Bird_of_Thunder
07.24.2017 , 09:35 AM | #3
As much as I hate to agree with a post like this that doesn't have much depth to it, yeah Tank mechanics in PvP are annoying. Guard's 50% damage split should be changed so that it's temporary, like Taunt, lasts for idk maybe 6 seconds? This wouldn't mess with PvE tanking abilities because the damage split only occurs in PvP. With the emergence of "skank tanks" as well (tank specs with DPS gear), we're looking at specs with TEAM DEFENSIVES that also have a high damage ceiling. I lived through Tank meta in League of Legends and I'd prefer to not do that again.
Drazir
Carnage Marauder
Ebon Hawk, U.S --> Star Forge, U.S.

kissingaiur
07.24.2017 , 09:39 AM | #4
Guard mechanic is fine. Bad DPS, matchmaking and slightly overtuned DCDs are the real issue.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

Foambreaker
07.24.2017 , 09:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by septru View Post
Or maybe don't tunnel the healer and use actual strategies to work around healer guard problem.

And lets be honest here, most tanks suck and won't guard swap until its too late. That should give you some idea of which strategy to choose.
That's right, the players are bad so the mechanic is ok.

You do understand that design discussions are based on "normal skilled players".

Foambreaker
07.24.2017 , 09:43 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
As much as I hate to agree with a post like this that doesn't have much depth to it, yeah Tank mechanics in PvP are annoying. Guard's 50% damage split should be changed so that it's temporary, like Taunt, lasts for idk maybe 6 seconds? This wouldn't mess with PvE tanking abilities because the damage split only occurs in PvP. With the emergence of "skank tanks" as well (tank specs with DPS gear), we're looking at specs with TEAM DEFENSIVES that also have a high damage ceiling. I lived through Tank meta in League of Legends and I'd prefer to not do that again.
You are aware that DPS classes have guard?

Foambreaker
07.24.2017 , 09:47 AM | #7
One way to "fix" it would be to double the damage the tank takes, but allow tank stats to mitigate the damage.

So:
Healer gets a 10k hit
Healer takes 5k
2x or 10k goes to tank
Tank mitigates 5k and takes 5k

For "real" tanks it is non-change, but for skanks and DPS guard they take 10k, double damage.

Problem solved plus it rewards real tanks for being real tanks.

SteveTheCynic
07.24.2017 , 09:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
You are aware that DPS classes have guard?
No.

DPS *disciplines* of tankable *classes* have guard. A DPS class like Gunslinger or Sentinel does not have guard.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

KendraP
07.24.2017 , 10:07 AM | #9
Do I need to repeat myself again? Ugh ok...

A. If dps are guarding a healer, send someone to kill them and watch them die or drop the guard.

B. Return guard to being a tank thing. I miss having a point in PVP other than "run skank because guardians suck otherwise".

C. Give tank stats a point and more people will use them.

D. Give vg/guardian dps actual survivability of some sort and more people will actual dps rather than skanking.

For more detail read my 500 other posts on the subject lol

kissingaiur
07.24.2017 , 10:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
That's right, the players are bad so the mechanic is ok.

You do understand that design discussions are based on "normal skilled players".

The developers aren't going to nerf guard just because players are bad. People die in regs, arenas, solo ranked and group ranked when there is a guard being thrown around. If this is the case, the problem isn't guard. It's that players need to stop smashing their face on the keyboard while tunneling through guard and expecting it to work.

Classic case of: git gud.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur