Vent required for opreations?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the content can be cleared without voice chat. The exception to this being EC.

If you have absolutely no operations experience it is seriously in your best interest to get in chat and at least listen.

Why would you raid without voice chat though? Thats part of what makes it fun :p

Theres pros and cons to it obviously, but generally the pros of having vent and using it generally massively outweight the cons.

Most important thing: Talking during combat. Things dont always work like clockwork, and you need voicechat to talk while in the middle of a fight to coordinate any changes or shouting out reminders such as MOVE to X, or Combat Ress Y etc. etc.

Likewise, explaining stuff before a fight is a lot easier with voice. Personally when approaching a brand new fight, we do both. Talk it all out, and make small bullet point summaries. As well as whispering individuals with given tasks if theyre confused.

Finally, for Pugs, not quite as needed (even though you generally need it MORE with PuGs during combat, since many people havnt played together before and might do things differently etc), but with Guilds where there are people that you get to know - it becomes fun. We always have a good laugh on Vent when raiding.

Technically, not needed.

However, especially for operations it makes it much easier to communicate. It is very hard to type and keep active in the fight, so calling out stages of a fight and things to do/watch for are 100x easier with voice comms. Operations can require a lot of coordination and the fights tend to be complex in that there are multiple stages to them (Denova/EC especially). It's also more fun as it makes it much more of a social experience.

Hard mode flashpoints generally don't need voice comms as the fights generally boil down to fullfilling your standard class role, and maybe watch out for one specific mechanic. Often times people as so overgeared the fights are really easy as well.

Edited by Infalliable

When my guild pugs a player, we require vent. No vent, and you refuse to get it, you get asked "What is the shape of Italy?" then promptly booted. It just makes communication 100% easier, especially during encounters where typing means you're not doing damage/healing.

When my guild pugs a player, we require vent. No vent, and you refuse to get it, you get asked "What is the shape of Italy?" then promptly booted. It just makes communication 100% easier, especially during encounters where typing means you're not doing damage/healing.
Vent should never be required. TS/Mumble should.

Theres pros and cons to it obviously, but generally the pros of having vent and using it generally massively outweight the cons.
Are there cons? Please elaborate.

You don't have to talk at all if you don't want to, but being able to hear is really imperative to a smooth run.

As a healer, I’m too busy watching the group health bars to know what percentage SOA is at. It is also really nice to hear tank swaps in different fights. It is also funny to hear the guy standing in lava yell “heal me” over and over. :p

As DPS hearing Mind Trap, Pig or whatever is up is also very helpful during a frantic battle.

In HMFP if you know what is going on, then voice is needed or wanted on my part unless I am playing with friends and even then we hardly ever say anything about the mission.

I enjoy being on mumble with the group. Then again, I tend group with friends and guildies who are good to be around.

Actually, many of us are in the habit of being in mumble while we play even if we're not grouped together just to shoot the s**t, tell jokes/stories and have a good time.

We've occasionally added a pug to a raid who didn't want to get on chat, but in each case the players weren't very good and didn't know the fights resulting in an "unsmooth" run. By a curious coincidence, every single great player that has joined our raids in a pick-up spot already had mumble/vent/ts and could join us ...

Many of our guild don't like to speak, which is 100% fine. As long as they can hear the raid leader, it's golden.

Anything that requires coordination, particularly of tanks, requires voice chat until everyone has the fight down cold.

This list includes:

- Zorn + Toth

- Stormcaller + Firebrand

- Kephess

- Nightmare Pilgrim

- Jarg + Sorno (nightmare mode)

- Fabricator

It can be helpful for Soa, Bonethrasher, Karagga, LR-5, etc. but it's not nearly as necessary. It's not really necessary for any flashpoints, though it can be very helpful while you're still trying to figure out Lost Island.

No, it isn't "required" if everyone knows what they are doing without any uncertainties. However, this is rarely the case. It is always a good idea to at least be in vent for instructions. It is mandatory if you are new to the raid. If you are an experienced raider for a particular raid, it shouldn't be a problem. For example, I have full BH/Campaign gear and it would be acceptable for me to not use vent for a Story mode EV, because I've done EV dozens of times. However, I get in vent anyway so I make sure everyone knows what they are doing! So in conclusion, get in vent/mumble/teamspeak. It isn't much of a hassle and it helps a lot, especially for new content! Edited by bbare

Yes I am going to say required for this reason...

Try explaining the SOA fight at the end of Eternity Vault in Ops chat

Burn Soa. When his shield goes up, head to the outside of the platform.

Follow everyone else down, stop when we do. Burn <whatever the things are that buff Soa>

Burn Soa, prioritize Mind Traps. If you get targeted by a lightning ball, run into it away from other people.

Follow everyone else down, stop when we do. Burn <whatever the things are that buff Soa>

Dps Mind Traps, keep an eye on Soa. When a pylon crashes down onto him, switch IMMEDIATELY.

Win.