Why I am excited for this expansion...

Zaina

Because it finally gave me the nudge I needed to toss this joke of a game out:

So this was going to be a sarcastic post about how I've been enjoying WoW more in the past few months than I have been enjoying Swtor in the past few years, but about partway through I decided something more serious was in order. I've been playing this game since the beta days without stopping until as of late and I feel like I have a few things worth saying with the release of 5.0.

Allow me to set the stage for a moment, to try and share a perspective that I don't believe many of the remaining players can share; that of someone who has been here nonstop since the beta, who has dipped into every aspect of this game and, for lack of a better expression, beaten it. I have played through every story. I have leveled every advanced class to max and have done prog raiding on most of them, as every role. I have cleared every raid on every difficulty including timed runs. I've even sold runs. I've completed Kotfe, albeit in a very slow and bored manner. I've collected every datacron, maxed every profession. I have titles on characters that can't even be obtained anymore (and I'm not talking about Infernal/Unyielding). I've played this game to death in every corner of it. Except for GSF. I'm a baddie at that. I loved this game.

I haven't logged into this game for any significant amount of time since WoW's Legion dropped. There was a time when I strongly believed that this game had all the potential in the world to be the WoW killer everyone thought it would be. The content was fun and refreshing, the stories were amazing in that they were unique and didn't feel awkwardly shoehorned in (Yup yup my smuggler totally killed Valk in a single shot to the back, nothing weird about this at all, feels totally natural). Guilds were alive because there was things for them to do; they weren't doing two year old content for the umpteenth time.

The dev team has also been a point of disappointment for me, and let me explain why. I'm not going to pretend to know what struggles they go through or what their day to day is, but the lack of competence from them has given me a bit of a chuckle at times. Several year old bugs are left unfixed, there's an economy breaking exploit at least once a month, unwanted things are added and wanted things are swept under the rug (the rug in this case being "soon"). Livestreams are a bit of a mess and the sometimes week long gaps on the dev tracker (or when they do reply it's never to anything truly relevant) make me feel like there is a massive divide between them and us.

The one redeeming factor, to me, was the story was somewhat interesting. However, recently in swtor's subreddit someone made a post about the writers being in love with their characters and it seemed to make sense when given some thought. With the way they took the story, I feel like my character isn't even my own. Just a vehicle for the writers to tell us how super cool their characters are by comparison. A minor gripe maybe, but one never the less.

Comparatively, I've had a wonderful experience in WoW. The developer livestreams are consistent and give us useful information. The content stream is excellent and keeps things fresh. Raiding is very alive and celebrated. The developers feel very active in the community and do listen to the advice (even if they don't necessarily act on it, there is evidence it's taken into consideration). The WoW subreddit even has a developer that's active there as opposed to the odd post by Musco on the swtor subreddit. I'm not a WoW veteran by any means, but I know people who are and they seem like they're content with how they've been treated. As a swtor veteran I feel like Bioware Austin couldn't care less for me, which is sad. I used to wear my Founder title proudly, but now it's a joke. In WoW thus far I've seen rated PvP is alive, Guilds thrive, cities are populated, and there are more than 2-3 servers where people congregate. Not to mention the distinct lack of credit spam (although it does exist). It's a breath of fresh air compared to what I've seen this game devolve to in the past few years.

There's a myriad of other reasons too, but I don't feel like it's worth posting them as ultimately it will fall on deaf ears, trolls, and replies to this asking for all my stuff since I'm quitting (sorry, I've already given all my non bound stuff away to people). I imagine this post will catch some flak, and thats okay. I'm not going to say you're wrong for liking or disliking the game, or that it is dead. Simply put, to me this is not the swtor that I gave 6 years of my life to. To that, my subscription will be cancelled upon completing this post.

Thank you for 6 years of fun times, good memories, and amazing friendships.

Yours Truly,

Suton/Beta, originally of Vornskr now of Harbinger

Poor kids I hate to tell you but it took WoW how many expansions to add companions and they still have it done wrong. I could go on for days about how WoW has failed and I dont care if everyone mainstreams to WoW for crap like Legion I will not buy another one of those games because its such a drain of money for the quality for work they actually give you. I have had several friends try to get me to come back and after watching gameplay over and over I see nothing has changed same grinds, same raids just re-vamped... pathetic work for a 150+ team.... so dont talk to me about this game being bad when the dev team here is less than 1/4 of WoW's and the quality they provide is much more satisfying.

Poor kids I hate to tell you but it took WoW how many expansions to add companions and they still have it done wrong. I could go on for days about how WoW has failed and I dont care if everyone mainstreams to WoW for crap like Legion I will not buy another one of those games because its such a drain of money for the quality for work they actually give you. I have had several friends try to get me to come back and after watching gameplay over and over I see nothing has changed same grinds, same raids just re-vamped... pathetic work for a 150+ team.... so dont talk to me about this game being bad when the dev team here is less than 1/4 of WoW's and the quality they provide is much more satisfying.

So far from what I've seen from the WoW dev team I'm pleased. I'm paying the same amount for a subscription, but I feel like with one game I'm getting more. That's all it boils down to. It's entirely a matter of opinion and I even said so in the initial post. Clearly we look for different things and value different things when defining quality, and there's nothing wrong with this. I'm displeased with swtor's quality and that's all there is behind my decision.

Nope...first two lines had me rolling my eyes, hence my reply.

It's probably worth reading the entirety of the post before assuming it's trash. If you don't want to, that's your choice but you'd be a bit misinformed when posting a reply.

Edited by Zaina
Spelling

It's probably worth reading the entirety of the post before assuming it's trash. If you don't want to, that's your choice but you'd be a bit misinformed when posting a reply.

I went back and read it all. It seems that you've burned yourself out and want to blame the devs. I've been playing since launch day and haven't done all that you listed yet. Also, WoW is trash.

Edit - I can somewhat agree with the later story remarks, and that post on Reddit. Also -

Ugh :rolleyes:

Edited by Vember

I went back and read it all. It seems that you've burned yourself out and want to blame the devs. I've been playing since launch day and haven't done all that you listed yet. Also, WoW is trash.

So, let me reiterate:

Ugh. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if burning out is necessarily the right reason. I'm mainly a raider. I enjoy raiding. There hasn't been a new raid in two years. The new story content is not my taste. How am I wrong in my way of thinking? As far as WoW goes, it doesn't seem like trash to me so far, but again it's all opinion. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time in swtor and find a lot of enjoyment in 5.0.

I'm not sure if burning out is necessarily the right reason. I'm mainly a raider. I enjoy raiding. There hasn't been a new raid in two years. The new story content is not my taste. How am I wrong in my way of thinking? As far as WoW goes, it doesn't seem like trash to me so far, but again it's all opinion. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time in swtor and find a lot of enjoyment in 5.0.

You're not "wrong", we just don't agree :)

I hope you enjoy WoW (man, I gagged just typing that)

Edited by Vember

If I had to guess, you probably didn't read the whole thing did you?

I did...and you made excellent points and I am sad to see someone like you leave. Thankfully, you told them why...something many people dislike reading on the forums, but also the most critical feedback you could give a developer.

I hope you return...but I don't think you will...:(

I did...and you made excellent points and I am sad to see someone like you leave. Thankfully, you told them why...something many people dislike reading on the forums, but also the most critical feedback you could give a developer.

I hope you return...but I don't think you will...:(

I'm not against returning, I'd just like to see some of these things fixed. A lot of people are mistaking my post for a hate post, but it's the opposite. I loved this game and I WANT to love it again. This is me telling them why I'm leaving. Vote with your wallet, right?

It's good you enjoy Legion....me, After getting my second character to 110...I fell off the bandwagon.

M+ groups? It's like creating a dungeon group of Reddit posters. The vitrol in those groups is beyond anything LFR created.

PvP? I've hated PvP in WoW since TBC. It's never been anywhere close to balance. That's why you see everyone looking for specific comps in any group PvP going on the game.

Sure, it gets content updates at a crazy pace...but they have been force fed money over YEARS. People come back and leave...just like they do in Swtor. I know people still playing and I also know people that have already left for other games.

Specifically, I've come back to Swtor as I've realized I enjoy the PvP here, Love the GSF and groups for PvE stuff. I get more out of my time I play nightly in Swtor than I ever have in WoW. So while you are going back to WoW, hope you have fun. Pretty sure there will still be people here in Swtor having fun as well.

I'm not against returning, I'd just like to see some of these things fixed. A lot of people are mistaking my post for a hate post, but it's the opposite. I loved this game and I WANT to love it again. This is me telling them why I'm leaving. Vote with your wallet, right?

That's why I said, I don't think you will...because Bioware is clearly not trying to expand this game in any way at all. You're not the only one leaving...the more that leave, the slimmer the odds get that they'll have a chance to earn your business back because their revenue for 2016 is going to plummet, meaning their budget for next year will be cut again, meaning they'll need to recycle more and more old crap and sell it as "new"...

That's why I said, I don't think you will...because Bioware is clearly not trying to expand this game in any way at all. You're not the only one leaving...the more that leave, the slimmer the odds get that they'll have a chance to earn your business back because their revenue for 2016 is going to plummet, meaning their budget for next year will be cut again, meaning they'll need to recycle more and more old crap and sell it as "new"...

People don't understand this concept. I've tried explaining this before. All I know is that if I'm playing the game and having fun, i'll pay the subscription while playing. It's the least I can do in thanks for them giving me something that I am enjoying.

People don't understand this concept. I've tried explaining this before. All I know is that if I'm playing the game and having fun, i'll pay the subscription while playing. It's the least I can do in thanks for them giving me something that I am enjoying.

Exactly. I loved this game. Obviously I did, else I wouldn't have given six years of my life to it. I would very much like to see this game thrive. But when I stop having fun, and start getting actively annoyed at the choices and actions of the developers, I'll take my sub elsewhere. On the other hand, like yourself, the more I like a game the more I'll support it. I don't believe that Bioware Austin will change, but a man's allowed to hope.

Ok, so for me to begin commenting I have to give a bit of a background to put into perspect my thoughts I want to put down here.

I started MMOing at the age of 16 in 1996 and games ranging from Ultima Online and just about every mainstream MMO, several obscure korean MMO's, and WoW. I was there at the beginning of WoW. I tried playing WoW a year ago and I had to ask for a refund 5 minutes after playing because of how wretched the system is now. I did one instance that lasted, funny that, 5 minutes no joke. Before I could even get back into a place where I was comfortable how my character worked and what god aweful changes they had made, I have concluded that WoW is absolute garbage. This is coming from someone who played from a month after release till not to long after Pandaria. While I did play off and on at times I was still huge in that world. That game is a phantom, if that, of it's former glory.

I don't follow livestreams or devtrackers so I could care less about that. One thing I do care about is how well a story is told. Knights of the Fallen Empire drew me back in to where I actually have stayed subbed for a long time, and in anticipation for Knights of the Eternal Empire. I play solo so forgive me if I say don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Have all the additions to both of these expansions been good, not every one, I hate how they made changes to some abilities, and even moreso now with this new expansion. This will not stop me from playing this games story and once I do I can play for however long I feel then move to another game until they release more content in whatever form they put out.

I read most of your post just an FYI.

[sic]

OP,

I believe many, many, many players - both vocal and non - feel the same way you do. This entire expansion seems nothing more than a sham. For people who use this game to unwind and/or connect in ways no longer accessible to them, it's a travesty.

It's always sad to see a veteran sign off for the last time. Even more so as the raiding community that was once incredibly strong dwindles down to probably single digits. The days of Hatred, Zorz, 4/5, Ex-Dalborran Elitists, Paramount, hell, even Invictus back in its heyday ... they are long gone. With them goes the presence of a thriving community that looked forward to conquering challenges set in front of them by the developers.

Give your WoW friends the best. With this latest release, you might find yourself reconnecting with old SWTOR friends as more and more people flee from BWA in droves.

All the best wishes and happy gaming.

Apples and oranges.

If you like apples, wonder why you kept eating an orange, and while you still liked it, you ditch it finally and you claim it is because it doesn't taste like an apple.

The problem was with your original expectation, not so much with the game or its devs (whose have issues, but has nothing to do with your reason for leaving).

Good luck and enjoy your apple, I guess.

Apples and oranges.

If you like apples, wonder why you kept eating an orange, and while you still liked it, you ditch it finally and you claim it is because it doesn't taste like an apple.

The problem was with your original expectation, not so much with the game or its devs (whose have issues, but has nothing to do with your reason for leaving).

No. We were sold an apple. We enjoy apples. They advertised this as an apple...not an orange. We complain because the apple looks so appealing on the outside, but inside, it's rotted from lack of care.

Apples and oranges.

I enjoy apples. When this game came out, it was advertised as an apple. I consumed an apple for some time, and then BWA said "Our metrics said people like oranges, so here's an orange. We're not stopping apple production, but we're not continuing it either. Don't think about how that's confusing. Buy our Cartel Fruits and accept it."

So this is me saying I'm going to find a new Apple tree. And this apple tree is WoW. And I enjoy its apples so far.

I enjoy apples. When this game came out, it was advertised as an apple. I consumed an apple for some time, and then BWA said "Our metrics said people like oranges, so here's an orange. We're not stopping apple production, but we're not continuing it either. Don't think about how that's confusing. Buy our Cartel Fruits and accept it."

So this is me saying I'm going to find a new Apple tree. And this apple tree is WoW. And I enjoy its apples so far.

That would be fine, but you also started out the thread by calling oranges a "joke of a [fruit]".

If a game/fruit/whatever isn't to your taste, that's totally valid and I wish you the best of luck in finding entertainment/foodstuffs more to your liking (which it sounds like you have with WoW). But there are an awful lot of posts on this board that go beyond just "I thought I was getting an apple and they gave me an orange so I'm done" and into "oranges are stupid, people who like oranges are stupid, and BW is stupid for making oranges" territory.

Leading your thread by calling the game a joke might give one the impression that you're in that second category.

No. We were sold an apple. We enjoy apples. They advertised this as an apple...not an orange. We complain because the apple looks so appealing on the outside, but inside, it's rotted from lack of care.

You both seem really nice people, so I don't want to be condescending or anything like that.

'Being advertised as' and 'sold as' or 'what you hoped this game to be WoW with SW skin' <> actual reality.

I give you that they took some turns, it's a subject of discussion of those turns, but again, it's all hindsight. if nothing else, the last 2 years was a pretty obvious clue that this game is not for raiders, as it never was in the first place, it was just hidden by the initial marketing machine.

Edited by Galahard