Class Changes: Bodyguard Mercenary and Combat Medic Commando

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you will find the upcoming changes to Bodyguard and Combat Medic coming in Game Update 5.5:

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Mercenary

Bodyguard

• Healing Scan now heals for 6.45% less
  • Progressive Scan now heals for 7% less
  • The heal-over-time provided by Proactive Medicine is now 50% less effective, but its armor-increasing effect remains unchanged
  • The healing bonus given to Emergency Scan and Rapid Scan by Empowered Scans is now 3%
  • The healing bonus given to Kolto Missile, Kolto Pods, and Progressive Scan by Peacekeeper is now 3%
  • The critical healing bonus given by Warden is now 5%
  • Bodyguard (the passive skill) now increases the healing each charge of Kolto shell does by 3%

Commando

Combat Medic

• Advanced Medical Probe now heals for 6.45% less
  • Successive Treatment now heals for 7% less
  • The heal-over-time provided by Preventative Medicine is now 50% less effective, but its armor-increasing effect remains unchanged
  • The healing bonus given to Bacta Infusion and Medical Probe by Field Medicine is now 3%
  • The healing bonus given to Kolto Bomb, Kolto Pods, and Successive Treatment by Frontline Medic is now 3%
  • The critical healing bonus given by Potent Medicine is now 5%
  • Probe Medic now increases the healing each charge of Trauma Probe does by 3%

DevNotes: The Bodyguard / Combat Medic was overperforming in HPS output, so it needed some changes to various abilities.

First, we reduced the effects of Proactive Medicine / Preventative Medicine, in addition to reducing the overall healing done by Healing Scan / Advanced Medical Probe and Progressive Scan / Successive Treatment. Finally, we reduced the healing and critical healing bonuses given to the discipline through passives, which brought the Bodyguard / Combat Medic to its target HPS.

-eric

These look really well thought out and it makes me happy to see these readjustments to healers, they have been overperforming a lot making PvP very boring with fewer kills and a far more stale meta, for PvE it will finally make Nightmare healing a bit more challenging while not having much impact at all on Story and Hardmode content.

My personal thoughts, with all of the Nerfs to healers, When are we going to see the Operations bosses Damage output be nerfed? Coming from someone who heals HM, I know I am no longer looking forward to healing anything in HM (not counting EV/KP HM). The Burst Damage many of these bosses are doing is way to high, and with all 3 heal classes now being nerfed, this needs to be reduced a bit.

My personal thoughts, with all of the Nerfs to healers, When are we going to see the Operations bosses Damage output be nerfed? Coming from someone who heals HM, I know I am no longer looking forward to healing anything in HM (not counting EV/KP HM). The Burst Damage many of these bosses are doing is way to high, and with all 3 heal classes now being nerfed, this needs to be reduced a bit.

I think that either you want to consult the dulfy guide on your class or take a look a the dtps statistics for your team, all healers in all combinations will be able to easily still clear hard mode content. I know people were complaining about the same things after the Sorc nerfs, a few days later two Sorc healers clear Brontes showcasing that everyone worried for nothing.

Hardmode isn't supposed to be super easy, it's true that you will be needing to consider how you use your abilities quite a bit more after these changes, but do not worry too much, the HPS nerfs aside, all healing classes are doing far more HPS than needed for HM content. :)

I think that either you want to consult the dulfy guide on your class or take a look a the dtps statistics for your team, all healers in all combinations will be able to easily still clear hard mode content. I know people were complaining about the same things after the Sorc nerfs, a few days later two Sorc healers clear Brontes showcasing that everyone worried for nothing.

Hardmode isn't supposed to be super easy, it's true that you will be needing to consider how you use your abilities quite a bit more after these changes, but do not worry too much, the HPS nerfs aside, all healing classes are doing far more HPS than needed for HM content. :)

I play my class fine, and for some fights like Zorn/toth, both healers are forced to bust our tails to get 8.5k ehps each.

I remember Tyrans each healer had to pull 9.5k ehps to beat. (I'm not talking hps, but EFFECTIVE heals per second).

Edited by Toraak

Hey folks,

Below you will find the upcoming changes to Bodyguard and Combat Medic coming in Game Update 5.5:

-eric

NERF skank-tank's guard pls! Skank tanks are ruining pvp by being able to dps nearly the same as dps soec but also to save group members by guarding everyone and having decent survivability! This is ugly((

I play my class fine, and for some fights like Zorn/toth, both healers are forced to bust our tails to get 8.5k ehps each.

So? You don't lose the ability to heal an entry boss in EC HM if that is what you fear, you are still perfectly able to clear this content with whichever combination of healers you like, the only change is that you need to be more aware of how you use your cooldowns and how tanks deal with incoming damage bursts.

i am embarrassed that i dont know what a skank tank is. is it a term of endearment? ..reminds me of Stripes: "...but we are willing to learn. will they send us someplace special?"

It's a PvP term for a tank, who is wearing DPS gear, while in tank spec.

i am embarrassed that i dont know what a skank tank is. is it a term of endearment? ..reminds me of Stripes: "...but we are willing to learn. will they send us someplace special?"

Skank = Tank with dps gear

This apply mainly in PvP because real tanks are useless (tank stats don't give enough bonus to be usefull) and dps spec are usually trash because "nerf offensive ability" and "buff defensive ability" (resulting in a Time To Kill too great and too demanding when playing dps). It is better nowadays to play a tank with dps gear because you'll be more resistant and deal a lot more damage (because you don't die).

This also apply to mercs and snipers in some way because they are incredibly tanky. :p

But you can still see peoples that play tank with DPS mods in PvE, because again, tank stats are trash and the payoff is better with the power given by dps mods.

Again, this is another issue we're waiting the devs to resolve since quite a long time now. :rolleyes:

Edited by supertimtaf

you nerf mando progressive scan for 7% but you do not nerf Kolto-Waves

seems legit.

Srsly BW Merc heals are on par with Sage right now in case of HPS.

Anyway Wandering Mend is an instant Heal while progressive Scan and Kolto-Waves are not Instant.

I do not understand the Merc Heal nerfs... + a lot of Merc HPS comes from Trauma Stabilizers and Adrenaline Rush....

The only advantage of Merc heals are the Defs at the moment - thats all. There are only a few Merc/Mando Heal Players who are able to pull over 10k HPS with this class...

Take those away and Merc Heal is screwed again congrats Biofail

ok. thank you. ive read it in chat on fleet and in pvp recently and, tbh, wasnt about to ask there. I am a dps on all my toons (guardian, jugg, sorcer, shadow, smug, sniper, vanguard, merc,+1 sent). i try to stick with classes that can switch to another type of play, though. with that said, i suck at pvp, but looking to improve. in the past, i found it useful in that i could react faster to changing environments. however, some bad experiences had me out of that part of the game for a long time. glad i asked, though, because i was contemplating moving to a tank with dps gear to take advantage of good defense that could also produce some dps that wouldnt have me yelled at in chat.

i did have a chest beating moment this weekend, though, when i nearly made 1million damage points in an alderaan match. however, back to the topic. I may go ahead and make another healer just to PvP. i like a challenge.

seems legit.

Anyway Wandering Mend is an instant Heal while progressive Scan and Kolto-Waves are not Instant.

I do not understand the Merc Heal nerfs... + a lot of Merc HPS comes from Trauma Stabilizers and Adrenaline Rush....

The only advantage of Merc heals are the Defs at the moment - thats all. There are only a few Merc/Mando Heal Players who are able to pull over 10k HPS with this class...

***? every moron is capable of healing more than 10k with mando/merc healer. in 4.x you had encounters with spikes with about 9k-11k XD

the only kill vid i've seen so far from brontes nim after 5.0 which was legit is failures...all others had some bunnyhopping tanks...so no problem doing that with nerfed heals

NERF skank-tank's guard pls! Skank tanks are ruining pvp by being able to dps nearly the same as dps soec but also to save group members by guarding everyone and having decent survivability! This is ugly((

how exactly do they "guard everyone"? guard is on 1 player for me, does it work differently for you or are you just hyperbolling again?

Skank = Tank with dps gear

This apply mainly in PvP because real tanks are useless (tank stats don't give enough bonus to be usefull) and dps spec are usually trash because "nerf offensive ability" and "buff defensive ability" (resulting in a Time To Kill too great and too demanding when playing dps). It is better nowadays to play a tank with dps gear because you'll be more resistant and deal a lot more damage (because you don't die).

This also apply to mercs and snipers in some way because they are incredibly tanky. :p

But you can still see peoples that play tank with DPS mods in PvE, because again, tank stats are trash and the payoff is better with the power given by dps mods.

Again, this is another issue we're waiting the devs to resolve since quite a long time now. :rolleyes:

While this is way offtopic: Tank stats aren't trash. Neither in PvP nor in PvE. They have less merit in PvP, true, because alot of the damage is either I/E, so can't be mitigated by shield/absorb, or autokrits that can't be shielded either. But you still see effect when playing PvP in tank gear.

But believe it or not, EVERY dps spec in the game uses at least ~30% M/R attacks, with three, maybe for exceptions, being sorcs and Opers. So if tank stats, and especially defense, is of any use in PvP depends heavily on your enemys specs.

And the problem in PvE is, that there's too much defense on the gear that isn't needed on most bosses because the amount of M/R damage is rather negligible, hence Power B-Mods. And Bioware actually did this themselves with 3.0(iirc), where they changed the stats on mods. Before then, mods could have absorb. They fixed something, as most times, that didn't need fixing.

Edited by Torvai

seems legit.

Ehm roaming / slash wandering mend if only instant if you choose to use resurgence to make it so, and since nerf its not very often that is worth doing so.

If a merc healer cannot keep up with a sorc as heals currently stand they need to learn to play.

The advantage of merc heals if you know how to play them is the insane burst healing.

Anyway instead of crying like a ***** learn to play your class merc heals are very good

I remember Tyrans each healer had to pull 9.5k ehps to beat. (I'm not talking hps, but EFFECTIVE heals per second).

Maybe ask your DPS and Tanks, what they are doing. Though, there are sometimes bad healers. However, normally 90% of the tanks are garbage and don't know 1. what the boss is doing 2. what their gcds are for and when to use them. Just an example: Calphayus HC is sometimes very spikey. He does very hard hitting MR damage. You can easily survive them by using Deflection/Saber Ward/Explosive Fuel. Shroud and Sabre Reflection won't help here. On the other hand, you have - what you've already said - Tyrans. He does FT damage (Thundering Blast) and MR Damage (Shock). He usually does 4 Thundering Blasts between each Simplification. As a shadow, you can have a dcd up for EVERY Thundering Blast, so that it's damage is mitigated completely (Resilence), mostly (Force Speed) or half (Battle Readyness, Absorb Adrenal, Deflection). As a guardian, you can at least reduce the damage from 2 of 4 TB's, by popping a dcd, when he casts the first one. You can also mitigiate a TB by using blade blizz against a wall. As a Vanguard/PT, you can use epic shield and explosive fuel, to mitigate 2 of 4 and you can use Oil slick to receive less damage from shock.

As a healer, you can blame your tanks and DPS, when they are receiving to much Thundering Blasts. Be sure, that your DPS are correctly skilled (AoE Dmg Reduction!).

Normally, the healers aren't responsible, when the group is low. Healers are the first target for toxicity... but they are the last ones, who are able to change something.

Edited by Exocor

I expect this last round of nerfs will about kill off my raid team, which is about all that is left of a founding guild. If we still have a team in 3 months it will be a miracle. If we have one in 6, it'll be because EA dumped the entire decision making team in Austin.

While this is way offtopic: Tank stats aren't trash. Neither in PvP nor in PvE. They have less merit in PvP, true, because alot of the damage is either I/E, so can't be mitigated by shield/absorb, or autokrits that can't be shielded either. But you still see effect when playing PvP in tank gear.

But believe it or not, EVERY dps spec in the game uses at least ~30% M/R attacks, with three, maybe for exceptions, being sorcs and Opers. So if tank stats, and especially defense, is of any use in PvP depends heavily on your enemys specs.

And the problem in PvE is, that there's too much defense on the gear that isn't needed on most bosses because the amount of M/R damage is rather negligible, hence Power B-Mods. And Bioware actually did this themselves with 3.0(iirc), where they changed the stats on mods. Before then, mods could have absorb. They fixed something, as most times, that didn't need fixing.

It also depends on the tank you're playing tbh.

Sin tank is pretty powerfull for what it is because it has a super high shield chance, combined with decent absorption stuff you can overcome most of the damage spike in PvP, for the other part such as Melee/Ranged (who are mainly a threat with Arsenal merc/Marksman Sniper) you will absorb them well with a single Deflection, a bigger health pool (yay, Lethal B mods) and some work with LoS/controls.

In PvE, the result is more or less the same, the high shield chance makes it easier to absorb spike damage from Boss, who are mainly using Force/Tech as their burst. Combine this with the somewhat "decent" utility of 60% DR on Force Speed and you're good to go. Again, Lethal B mods are the way to go on this because of the extra health and power, making your attacks generate a little more aggro and helping with dps check.

To conclude this off-topic stuff, I'll just say that I don't know about Jugg and Powertech though, never used one of those to tank, both in (un)ranked PvP and PvE. :rak_02:

Back to topic now, these nerfs seems somewhat strange honestly, because Healer Mercenary is, if I remember correctly, a very demanding class in terms of energy management, this will only make things worse, no ? I'm just hoping that they didn't take into account the self heals granted by their broken utility. It's easy to go way overboard with hps when you can do a 80k self heal. :rak_02: Especially if they're going to balance those... Which I hope they do correctly.

Ehm roaming / slash wandering mend if only instant if you choose to use resurgence to make it so, and since nerf its not very often that is worth doing so.

If a merc healer cannot keep up with a sorc as heals currently stand they need to learn to play.

The advantage of merc heals if you know how to play them is the insane burst healing.

Anyway instead of crying like a ***** learn to play your class merc heals are very good

Srsly are you idiotic? Plese give me another 3 Merc/Mando heals Who are able to pull off 10k+ HPS right now in a PVP Match.

Yeah i should really Learn to Play. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: