Latency Spikes - SF

LegionAlpha

Satele Shan - Latency issue.

(15) 159.153.92.98

(16) 159.153.92.86

(17) 159.153.65.228

Those three 'hops' are the ones that are failing all others are pinging at or under 45ms while those three are at or over 135ms... when I'm not moving any movement or attempt to interact with the game creates huge spikes into the thousands and often pushes the sustained latency into the range of 400ms to 600ms.

Perhaps this will help solve the issue.

That sounds like you aren’t being routed back the same way as you are to the servers. That’s a seperate issue on top of the extra ping.

Ask your isp to check for you

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thanks for posting the pic. It’s certainly helps.

Im assuming you are in the US and typically have good speeds to the server. You’ll notice that you ISP routes you through level3 in Chicago and you get a modest ping increase, but nothing game breaking.

But then you get routed through some hidden level3 hops till you reach the servers. I believe this is where the problems are happening and you can ask you ISP to see where level3 is routing you because they can see those hidden hops that you can’t.

Because all I can do is theorise, I would say that you aren’t being routed directly to the severs. As an example, my ping recently jumped 80ms and ping plotter showed I was going through level3 in LA. But the hops were hidden. I spoke to my ISP to get them to not route me through lvl3 because they always have issues. They discovered that lvl3 was first routing me through Malaysia from Sydney to get to LA. Adding 4 hidden hops and 80ms to my route. But ping plotter didn’t show that. Only my ISP could see it and they fixed it by routing me away from lvl3.

It’s highly possible that lvl3 is routing you in the opposite direction first or even to another country.

First step is to contact your isp and ask them to check. If you have some way of sending the image file, that will help.

If they say it’s BioWare and not lvl3, then Private message musco or daniel and link the image. Give them any extra info your isp has.

The whole problem with what you are suggesting is that you are asking players to make up for Bioware's terrible infrastructure. Because of the simple fact that i do not get these problems when playing other games like WoW, New World, etc... it means that any issues with the signal and routing are first originating with Bioware. If the problem was truly original with me, then I should experience the problem when playing any game, browsing the webs, etc... But that is simply not the case.

You are saying that I need to call my ISP and tell them the information and how to route my signal, etc... just to play a videogame. I mean come on....thats pathetic. Because it's not just all videogames I play that I need to contact my ISP for, its 1 single videogame. This is a problem at the core with Bioware/EA, not the players. Please stop pawning this off on players.

The whole problem with what you are suggesting is that you are asking players to make up for Bioware's terrible infrastructure. Because of the simple fact that i do not get these problems when playing other games like WoW, New World, etc... it means that any issues with the signal and routing are first originating with Bioware. If the problem was truly original with me, then I should experience the problem when playing any game, browsing the webs, etc... But that is simply not the case.

You are saying that I need to call my ISP and tell them the information and how to route my signal, etc... just to play a videogame. I mean come on....thats pathetic. Because it's not just all videogames I play that I need to contact my ISP for, its 1 single videogame. This is a problem at the core with Bioware/EA, not the players. Please stop pawning this off on players.

It’s up to you wether you follow my advice or not. I’m offering a road to hopefully resolve the issue or at least firmly identify wether it’s Biowares end or player routing. If you choose to not act on it and have problems, that’s your decision.

Personally, I’d want to know what the issue is so I could get it fixed. But each to their own.

It’s up to you wether you follow my advice or not. I’m offering a road to hopefully resolve the issue or at least firmly identify wether it’s Biowares end or player routing. If you choose to not act on it and have problems, that’s your decision.

Personally, I’d want to know what the issue is so I could get it fixed. But each to their own.

100% agree that we all want these issues to be resolved. However, it is a KNOWN FACT that this game has had this specific issue since launch. The problem has been "White knights" that come to threads like this and try to pin the problem on the players and not the devs. You give the devs a free pass. We don't need to have all these pingplottings everytime this issue arises. 10/10 times its Eaware anyways that is at fault. This is so known it is sick just seeing the rhetoric around forums years and years later still that "oh, its a player issue". But how, when that player can literally play any other game/mmo, and it is completely fine, that it is still the player's responsibility to solve the issue and call their ISP just to let their ISP know that they wanna play "Star Wars: The Old Republic". Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds. I gotta call my ISP to tell them about my problem playing a star wars game, when yet i don't have to do this for literally any other game...That's developer laziness, company laziness, top-down laziness. That laziness led to many snowball effect issues in this game, and I am simply trying to be a voice at a ground zero problem to help bring focus back to real issues that matter in this game that effect the actual playability of the game. After that is solved, I am more than happy to jump on other topics. But none of those other ones matter if you ignore a foundation; stability of the game from patch to patch.

This has nothing to do with the dev,s it's an internet routing sort of thing. either BW's routing, the infrastructure, or the players, do you really think a dev can change this?????

As with ALL internet problems, you have to start at the beginning, some people can't do that, because they are sooo smart, they can ignore those levels below them and jump.....but if you don't begin at the start, ie, the home, and work your way out, then you'll never get it sorted. Which is why we start with pingplotter. It's not white knight crap, it's a start, and most of the time, it happens to be a persons set up, or isp, or back bone router, etc. So just because someone is getting you to start at the beginning, and going through the motions does not mean they are white knighting. That phrase is used way to often from people who are deliberately trying to provoke arguments.

This has nothing to do with the dev,s it's an internet routing sort of thing. either BW's routing, the infrastructure, or the players, do you really think a dev can change this?????

As with ALL internet problems, you have to start at the beginning, some people can't do that, because they are sooo smart, they can ignore those levels below them and jump.....but if you don't begin at the start, ie, the home, and work your way out, then you'll never get it sorted. Which is why we start with pingplotter. It's not white knight crap, it's a start, and most of the time, it happens to be a persons set up, or isp, or back bone router, etc. So just because someone is getting you to start at the beginning, and going through the motions does not mean they are white knighting. That phrase is used way to often from people who are deliberately trying to provoke arguments.

Not trying to provoke an argument. But it was a real thing for a couple years on these forums as the game went through some really tough road patches. I understand about starting from a base point and then going from there. Some of us, like myself, have been around long enough and we go ahead and run all the test we can and gather data before even coming to the forums to post our findings. However, its then a load of bs for those of us who have done the work, then posted on forums, to sit and argue with ppl that want us to do it all over again to their standards and specifications, as if we don't know what we are talking about.

The belittling of players that have knowledge is what grinds the gears of those of us like myself when it comes to these issues and why we bring out the white knighting comments.

Not trying to provoke an argument. But it was a real thing for a couple years on these forums as the game went through some really tough road patches. I understand about starting from a base point and then going from there. Some of us, like myself, have been around long enough and we go ahead and run all the test we can and gather data before even coming to the forums to post our findings. However, its then a load of bs for those of us who have done the work, then posted on forums, to sit and argue with ppl that want us to do it all over again to their standards and specifications, as if we don't know what we are talking about.

The belittling of players that have knowledge is what grinds the gears of those of us like myself when it comes to these issues and why we bring out the white knighting comments.

But that is the issue, if you want to trouble shoot a problem, you have to start at the beginning, having your own data and going to a company and saying, here is my evidence, just doesn't work. No one here is actually white knighting BW, it's more of a realist thing. I've dealt with people who have done their 'own' work on their internet connection, claiming it's all the fault of the company, and yet, when it goes through the basic checks, it's actually, the fault of the user. And, if at the end of the day, you've gone through all your trouble shooting, with your home equipment, isp, internet tools etc, and it's pointing at BW, the forums is still the wrong place to post it, unless you want to shove it in the bug section, the devs, community managers, etc, can't solve that issue.

100% agree that we all want these issues to be resolved. However, it is a KNOWN FACT that this game has had this specific issue since launch. The problem has been "White knights" that come to threads like this and try to pin the problem on the players and not the devs. You give the devs a free pass. We don't need to have all these pingplottings everytime this issue arises. 10/10 times its Eaware anyways that is at fault. This is so known it is sick just seeing the rhetoric around forums years and years later still that "oh, its a player issue". But how, when that player can literally play any other game/mmo, and it is completely fine, that it is still the player's responsibility to solve the issue and call their ISP just to let their ISP know that they wanna play "Star Wars: The Old Republic". Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds. I gotta call my ISP to tell them about my problem playing a star wars game, when yet i don't have to do this for literally any other game...That's developer laziness, company laziness, top-down laziness. That laziness led to many snowball effect issues in this game, and I am simply trying to be a voice at a ground zero problem to help bring focus back to real issues that matter in this game that effect the actual playability of the game. After that is solved, I am more than happy to jump on other topics. But none of those other ones matter if you ignore a foundation; stability of the game from patch to patch.

Dude, I’m not giving anyone a free pass. I just understand the networking side a bit better than most because I’ve been through all of this myself the last 10 years playing the game.

The problem with your analysis is it’s not happening to everyone playing. If it was only BioWare, then everyone playing the game would have these problems at the same time. At the moment that isn’t happening. So logically it suggests there is a routing issue for some players. Running ping plotter allows us to see where those issues are.

I feel where you are coming from and I agree that at times devs running a game get too much slack from players or don't get the blame they deserve for things. At the same time, sometimes it really isn't anything in the developers' control, in particular when there is an internet backbone issue, and this kind of problem can impact players from certain regions or ISPs but not others. WoW has had this kind of problem before. I have played other high profile MMOs which wouldn't even connect for several weeks at a time all while SWTOR worked fine and even other players in those games had no problem, because the issue was some internet backbone node somewhere run by some company which is not under the devs' control.

I don't know if this is such a case or not, but it does happen.

I just did. I'm not 100% sure how to read which node is the problem. I can't tell if it's the Level3 node or the 159.153.92.98 node. If it IS the latter node, it's EA, so not a backbone problem: it would be a problem with the service itself.

https://imgur.com/a/ueOHdRp

I have requested if the swtor network team can chase upstream for the cause as that ping plot suggests an issue somewhere very close to their gateway with level 3.

Edited by OwenBrooks

I feel where you are coming from and I agree that at times devs running a game get too much slack from players or don't get the blame they deserve for things. At the same time, sometimes it really isn't anything in the developers' control, in particular when there is an internet backbone issue, and this kind of problem can impact players from certain regions or ISPs but not others. WoW has had this kind of problem before. I have played other high profile MMOs which wouldn't even connect for several weeks at a time all while SWTOR worked fine and even other players in those games had no problem, because the issue was some internet backbone node somewhere run by some company which is not under the devs' control.

I don't know if this is such a case or not, but it does happen.

There just hasn't been any initiative over the years from the Swtor team to address these issues without first blaming players. They expect players to go run a full diagnostics, but they won't/don't do anything themselves it seems.

Dude, I’m not giving anyone a free pass. I just understand the networking side a bit better than most because I’ve been through all of this myself the last 10 years playing the game.

The problem with your analysis is it’s not happening to everyone playing. If it was only BioWare, then everyone playing the game would have these problems at the same time. At the moment that isn’t happening. So logically it suggests there is a routing issue for some players. Running ping plotter allows us to see where those issues are.

I understand the networking as well, but at the same time there is about 0 initiative over the last 10 years from them to address these issues. This just isn't a one time thing. It happened after a patch. Thats the thing. This isn't just about a routing issue randomly happened one day. It's about noticing all the patterns and commonalities of when these things occur that can help isolate the why it occurs. So, in conclusion, if they would just put their nose to the grind the last 10 years, this woulnd't be such a consistent problem. Not a random problem, it is a consistent problem.

Having the same problem. Connection was fine when I played like 8-9 hours ago. Logged back in to extremely high lag spikes. Ping test shows about 20% packet loss.

Weirdly enough, it's only happening with east and west coast servers. European server has 2% loss for me.

Having the same problem. Connection was fine when I played like 8-9 hours ago. Logged back in to extremely high lag spikes. Ping test shows about 20% packet loss.

Weirdly enough, it's only happening with east and west coast servers. European server has 2% loss for me.

Both east and west coast servers are now located in the same geographical data centre in Virginia US.

How are you testing your packet loss and do you know what hops are causing the packet loss

Both east and west coast servers are now located in the same geographical data centre in Virginia US.

How are you testing your packet loss and do you know what hops are causing the packet loss

I thought the European servers were there as well? I was testing in command prompt with the IPs of the servers I found in another thread. Did not see what hops, though.

Anyway, I tried again and things seem to be back in normal range for me at the moment. So I have no idea what the issue was. Will see if it repeats again.

I thought the European servers were there as well? I was testing in command prompt with the IPs of the servers I found in another thread. Did not see what hops, though.

Anyway, I tried again and things seem to be back in normal range for me at the moment. So I have no idea what the issue was. Will see if it repeats again.

EU servers are based in Ireland

Download and install ping plotter next time and you can record and see live what is happening at those hops. It’s a bit easier to understand and gives more information than command prompt.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

EU servers are based in Ireland

People in Europe are already giving out that Ireland is on the 'edge' of Europe, and too far from mid Europe for the 'European' server, I can imagine the S*** hitting the fans if they were based in the same places as the US servers...lol

Edited by DarkTergon

The routing is really strange a this point. The 9th hop is a Level3 node 4.69.220.150. Hop 10 is another Level3 node 4.68.127.133.

Then there are two unidentified hops.

Then it goes BACK to the exact same Level3 node as the 9th hop, but this time with a large latency and packet losses.

The routing is really strange a this point. The 9th hop is a Level3 node 4.69.220.150. Hop 10 is another Level3 node 4.68.127.133.

Then there are two unidentified hops.

Then it goes BACK to the exact same Level3 node as the 9th hop, but this time with a large latency and packet losses.

Can you post a pic of the ping plotter data so I can see. From what you describe it sounds like you are being routed back through a node you’ve already been through?

Can you post a pic of the ping plotter data so I can see. From what you describe it sounds like you are being routed back through a node you’ve already been through?

Here it is, though this morning the latency is back to normal. This doesn't mean it won't act up again later. When I was having the problems last week, it was usually okay during the day. https://imgur.com/a/Bz1hb7i

By the way, those four 100% PL hops are there all the time, even if everything is working perfectly.

Edited by Skolops