Diffculties with the RPers

Barantos

Hello Everyone,

Some of you may know me most of you probably don't but i wanted to talk about some of the struggles i have encountered as a new player. This is mostly relating to roleplaying.

The first major issue I encounter is that I rarely meet roleplayers who are friendly and welcoming. I have tried going to the cantina and approaching someone and rping and I am often ignored or treated poorly. I would think that rping is a "the more the merrier" kind of function so long as everyone is looking to participate in good spirits. It is pretty discouraging and it really makes me want to grief and/or not help you whenever possible if that was the reception I received.

The second issue I see is that most people roleplay that they are the greatest and most powerful person in the galaxy. If you are level 11 and keyboard turn with terrible grammar it is hard for me to allow you to roleplay as a sith lord... just sayin. To treat me as a lap dog, when given the chance I could wipe the floor with your ability clickin, keyboard turning, incorrectly geared character.

Maybe I am just old fashioned and out of the loop, but my last real roleplaying experience was in star wars galaxies and it was great. Duels and willingness to help train others is what decided council members. It was great because the people who were your superiors in the guild were useful and respected. I have been in several guilds here and most of the council members can not spec or gear properly. How can I be your apprentice when you fail to grasp basic game mechanics?

Sorry if this turned into a rant, but in my time here I am absolutely in love with this game. i joined this server because i wanted to rp again, but in my experience I either get a cold shoulder or an imbecile demanding I call him master and do his bidding.

Morderca, Bounty Hunter for Hire

Agreed. Just remember, if they really were an all-powerful Sith Lord, they would be orchestrating things from the shadows rather than proclaiming their power in a cantina. Edited by Jenzali

Well ehem dishing ppl for they're abilites to play "toons" correclty in game of mechanics is kind of pointless to "not respect they're role".

Roleplay - you play something your not.

Already there I'd arrest you as not being the most amicable of players to interact with in this setting.

While they're skills may be bad, maybe they got good henchmen on they're list to do the dirty work?

That said, besides the already pointed out advise :

* Join a rp-guild etc.

I would generally ask the participants of that rp in pm's to join or type (ooc) and ask a question in spatial if you can join etc.

Alot of the rp'ers have put alot of effort and hours into makeing "big arc's of rp", so when mr random stumbles in its just an annoyance/interuption and they just can "fit you into they're story either".

Some of the stuff takes alot of hrs and may have a "script" that they follow etc.

The most describeing way to give an example is this :

Your at the movies watching it with a friend.

the movie is scripted and not open to additional elements as its rolling on the silverscreen right.

then all of a sudden one of the audience members decide to jump up infront of the screen and act out, talk to the ppl on the screen, then getting moody cause he dont get replies back and they ignore him.

Not to be rude, but just barging into a crowd of rp'ers doing they're thing is abit invasive tbh or seen as it from those already engaged in the rp.

Not meaning to be rude or nothing, just wanted to give you a perspective on why your treated as you are.

A link with abit of input :

http://www.the-rangers.net/joomla/index.php/library/roleplaying/basic-roleplaying-rules

Most likely the crowds you've run into are abit "strict/stuckup" rp'ers that is "too serious" for most casual rp'ers.

I agree with the OP.

If you want to join us for RP, check out http://www.sithicus.net we have currently 2 ongoing story archs, one imp side and one pub side.

No one will try to be your master or godmode you into the lackey role.

We have alot of talented writers that post forum stories, I have 2 officers that take care only of RP. But we dont talk IC in guild chat.

I am sure they are other interesting RP going on out there, hope you find it.

Mateops

Currently I have app'd for Silent Council, because of my dealings with them in warzones has been a great one. I will look around though if I am not accepted thank you for posting the information.

Btw not sure if any guilds do it but I would love to find a guild that sets up bounty type rp and then the story progresses depending on the outcome of the fight between the bh and the target. I miss player bounties from swg sooooooo much!

Morderca, Bounty Hunter for Hire

Btw not sure if any guilds do it but I would love to find a guild that sets up bounty type rp and then the story progresses depending on the outcome of the fight between the bh and the target. I miss player bounties from swg sooooooo much!

Silent Council's story arc isn't based on bounties but we do put them out from time to time if it's important to the story. Right now Klaangck Huttslime is pretty much the most wanted man in the galaxy. We also have a few side bounties done in play-by-post format that we encourage people to use for character development and interaction.

Edited by Jenzali

I really haven't had that sort of experience at all, but I've been on the Republic side not the Empire side. I have not tried randomly RPing with people in Cantinas either, but most of those are just idling there for the resting exp. But, If people learn to RP by following the examples of the built in storylines and npc interaction, on the Empire side everyone is going to be a jerk and try to push you around and be your superior, even if they're not. The game teaches that. There's no real middleground on a lot of the built in storyline, either you're a psychotic wacko or a saint a lot of times.

Like everyone has said, if you want RP even on this RP server, you need to join a RP guild. I'd ask around in General on the fleet for a RP guild. People usually rank them 'heavy' or 'light' RP. Or /cjoin RP and ask on there. I don't know about SW:TOR, but elsewhere the convention seemed to be that OOC was put in parenthesis or double parenthesis, or just prefaced with OOC. I guess there's a guild recruiitment forum for the server too.

I noticed your sig has 'Bounty Hunter' in it. A friend of mine who RPs on the Empire side pointed out that Bounty Hunters tend to be 2nd class citizens in the Empire. Alien races too, obviously.

I've been RPing on both factions and I've never come across this. You have to start a conversation. A simple nod, or my Lord, hunter or officer if on the Empire side or Master Jedi, Captain or Trooper if on the Republic side, goes a long way to start an RP conversation. I've never had anyone treat me disrespectfully in fact, I was RPing on Saturday night and got a guild member out of it. We're going to go the the mixer on Thursday night. If you salute them, they will come.

I'm with ya, OP. My main complaints about RP are:

Ignorance of your surroundings; People group off into their own little cliques and completely ignore what is happening around them. The whole point of roleplaying in an MMO, and in the SW universe, is to fell like you are there, like you live in it, like you are a PART of it. However I see people completely ignore things that if I saw I would at least acknowledge.

Ignoring potential friendlies : Not everyone is a troll. Some people may play eccentric or crazy folks, some people may just be attention seekers, but in-character. People flat out ignore others. I've seen (and been) people walk up to some folks roleplaying, and try to join in, introduce themselves, buy them a drink, insult their heritage, call them a dirty nerf herder, etc. Only to be absolutely and completely ignored, or have the other person break character, call them a troll, then ignore them anyway.

Extremes : I get that everyone wants to be this amazing, godly, character, but that's just not kosher in an MMO. You are not the son of the emporer who was turned into a vampire and given metal skin that shoots death beams out of it. You are not immune to force powers, you are not able to fly, you cannot leap tall buildings in a single bound, and blaster bolts do not reflect off your manly pectorals. A good baseline is if you cant back it up with game mechanics, dont try to RP you can do it. Can you shoot lightning out of your hands and shock some poor bounty hunter? Sure. Can you tear his limbs off and beat him with them until he cries and bleeds to death? Id say if you can actually beat him in a duel, sure. Can you fly up into the air, form a spirit bomb ala DBZ, and toss it at him, blowing up him, the planet, and the solar system? No. No you cannot. Are you stronger than a Bounty Hunter or Agent because you're a sith? No. No you are not. You are stronger if you are stronger.

Classism: As mentioned above. The empire does have a hierarchy in which the sith are ranked pretty highly. However there ARE imperials ranked above sith, unless said sith are on the dark council. Even THEN, moffs are ranked the SAME as a dark council member. BUT I AM DARTH NOX!!!!! No, you're not. I know your class story told you so, but I assure you, there are not 200 darth nox's running around on the fleet, make your own story (within reason. Bounty Hunters and Agents are NOT common riff raff youd find in your local bar for 50 credits to off some guy named Biff who owes you money. These are the best of the best, the truly outstanding and powerful of their occupations. Pick up the Bane books, force abilities do NOT always work, some people ARE powerful enough to resist their effects, even NON force users. You being a force user does not grant you instant domination over a non force user (and I play an inquis!)

Elitist: All the above kind of sums up into this. Everyone thinking they're better than everyone else in some way shape or form. Where the hell is Bob the bar tender? Wheres Jim who hates his job as a bounty hunter and just wants to run a moisture farm on tattooine? Why is everyone DARTH PWN, SLAYER OF ALL THINGS THAT ARE NOT HIM/HER. Heck half you inquis need to take a page outta Andronikos' book, that guys got his crap down.

Inappropriate Behavior: I dont mean like snogging in the middle of the fleet. Well okay, I do mean like that. Sometimes. But mostly (I only play imperial so I comment on them) I see complete and utter unimperial behavior. Sally Schoolgirl giggling and twirling her hair, drtinking her foo foo cosmo while hitting on mr. darth pwn in his full pvp armor at the cantina for some reason. Mr. Darth Pwn then blushes, giggles, rubs his head shyly and awkwardly. I think you get the picture. This is not high school, this is the freakin empire. And you're on the IMPERIAL FLEET when I see this crap. Its all I can do not to take poor Andronikos' helmet and puke in it. Im not sure if most of you realize what kind of society the empire is. First of all, Mr. Darth Pwn would likely give 0 effs about you, would probably be offended, angered, and ready to kill you that you even THOUGHT about approaching him in such a manner. The other imperials would also likely drag you into a dark corner and beat the ever loving crap out of you for making imperial soldiers look like stupid high school girls in front of a sith. This is a militaristic, harsh, hateful society, and I am watching Beverly Hills 90210. (is that show still on?)

So in short. People make themselves too hard to approach, make their stories WAY too far fetched, and always powergame themselves which takes the fun out of it for everyone else. I truly do hope to see more people RP in a more player friendly manner, but until then I will sit in the cantina and make fun of you, completely in character while you ignore me and pretend I am not there . Cept that chiss girl I cant remember.....she slapped the hell out of me. I electrocuted her in front of everyone, but at least she reacted. ....er anyway, thats it for my 2 cents. Or looking over the length, my 200000 cents.

-Syaseheth, aka Mr. Darth Pwn with bolt reflective pectorals.

Edited by Chiltonium

I'm with ya, OP. My main complaints about RP are:

Ignorance of your surroundings; People group off into their own little cliques and completely ignore what is happening around them. The whole point of roleplaying in an MMO, and in the SW universe, is to fell like you are there, like you live in it, like you are a PART of it. However I see people completely ignore things that if I saw I would at least acknowledge.

Ignoring potential friendlies : Not everyone is a troll. Some people may play eccentric or crazy folks, some people may just be attention seekers, but in-character. People flat out ignore others. I've seen (and been) people walk up to some folks roleplaying, and try to join in, introduce themselves, buy them a drink, insult their heritage, call them a dirty nerf herder, etc. Only to be absolutely and completely ignored, or have the other person break character, call them a troll, then ignore them anyway.

Extremes : I get that everyone wants to be this amazing, godly, character, but that's just not kosher in an MMO. You are not the son of the emporer who was turned into a vampire and given metal skin that shoots death beams out of it. You are not immune to force powers, you are not able to fly, you cannot leap tall buildings in a single bound, and blaster bolts do not reflect off your manly pectorals. A good baseline is if you cant back it up with game mechanics, dont try to RP you can do it. Can you shoot lightning out of your hands and shock some poor bounty hunter? Sure. Can you tear his limbs off and beat him with them until he cries and bleeds to death? Id say if you can actually beat him in a duel, sure. Can you fly up into the air, form a spirit bomb ala DBZ, and toss it at him, blowing up him, the planet, and the solar system? No. No you cannot. Are you stronger than a Bounty Hunter or Agent because you're a sith? No. No you are not. You are stronger if you are stronger.

Classism: As mentioned above. The empire does have a hierarchy in which the sith are ranked pretty highly. However there ARE imperials ranked above sith, unless said sith are on the dark council. Even THEN, moffs are ranked the SAME as a dark council member. BUT I AM DARTH NOX!!!!! No, you're not. I know your class story told you so, but I assure you, there are not 200 darth nox's running around on the fleet, make your own story (within reason. Bounty Hunters and Agents are NOT common riff raff youd find in your local bar for 50 credits to off some guy named Biff who owes you money. These are the best of the best, the truly outstanding and powerful of their occupations. Pick up the Bane books, force abilities do NOT always work, some people ARE powerful enough to resist their effects, even NON force users. You being a force user does not grant you instant domination over a non force user (and I play an inquis!)

Elitist: All the above kind of sums up into this. Everyone thinking they're better than everyone else in some way shape or form. Where the hell is Bob the bar tender? Wheres Jim who hates his job as a bounty hunter and just wants to run a moisture farm on tattooine? Why is everyone DARTH PWN, SLAYER OF ALL THINGS THAT ARE NOT HIM/HER. Heck half you inquis need to take a page outta Andronikos' book, that guys got his crap down.

Inappropriate Behavior: I dont mean like snogging in the middle of the fleet. Well okay, I do mean like that. Sometimes. But mostly (I only play imperial so I comment on them) I see complete and utter unimperial behavior. Sally Schoolgirl giggling and twirling her hair, drtinking her foo foo cosmo while hitting on mr. darth pwn in his full pvp armor at the cantina for some reason. Mr. Darth Pwn then blushes, giggles, rubs his head shyly and awkwardly. I think you get the picture. This is not high school, this is the freakin empire. And you're on the IMPERIAL FLEET when I see this crap. Its all I can do not to take poor Andronikos' helmet and puke in it. Im not sure if most of you realize what kind of society the empire is. First of all, Mr. Darth Pwn would likely give 0 effs about you, would probably be offended, angered, and ready to kill you that you even THOUGHT about approaching him in such a manner. The other imperials would also likely drag you into a dark corner and beat the ever loving crap out of you for making imperial soldiers look like stupid high school girls in front of a sith. This is a militaristic, harsh, hateful society, and I am watching Beverly Hills 90210. (is that show still on?)

So in short. People make themselves too hard to approach, make their stories WAY too far fetched, and always powergame themselves which takes the fun out of it for everyone else. I truly do hope to see more people RP in a more player friendly manner, but until then I will sit in the cantina and make fun of you, completely in character while you ignore me and pretend I am not there . Cept that chiss girl I cant remember.....she slapped the hell out of me. I electrocuted her in front of everyone, but at least she reacted. ....er anyway, thats it for my 2 cents. Or looking over the length, my 200000 cents.

-Syaseheth, aka Mr. Darth Pwn with bolt reflective pectorals.

And then there are those who entirely try to "break away from the Empire's way of thinking" and be so UN-Sith like it hurts! And that sure some rules and laws do apply, but they stick to their own little world and forget that they have the tools of the universe at their disposal and should abide by them. If a Sith kills his Master, by right of the law, he is granted the title of Lord and cannot be openly killed in public for doing only what he was trained to do. Sure those who cared about the master can send assassins and etc etc, but technically law does state Sith Apprentices assume the mantle of Lord if they succeed in killing their master.

And the ones that REAAALLY make me laugh are the ones like the Harbingers of the Sith'ari who act like Jedi (and in some cases ARE Jedi converts) and say they are still Imperials. Bullcrap. I can't stand when people don't use the lore to their disposal on top of being ******s.

And then there are those who entirely try to "break away from the Empire's way of thinking" and be so UN-Sith like it hurts! And that sure some rules and laws do apply, but they stick to their own little world and forget that they have the tools of the universe at their disposal and should abide by them. If a Sith kills his Master, by right of the law, he is granted the title of Lord and cannot be openly killed in public for doing only what he was trained to do. Sure those who cared about the master can send assassins and etc etc, but technically law does state Sith Apprentices assume the mantle of Lord if they succeed in killing their master.

And the ones that REAAALLY make me laugh are the ones like the Harbingers of the Sith'ari who act like Jedi (and in some cases ARE Jedi converts) and say they are still Imperials. Bullcrap. I can't stand when people don't use the lore to their disposal on top of being ******s.

that is not what the harbingers of sithari do... at all actually, get your facts straight before you post

While I completely agree with the comments regarding RP posted by Chiltonium, I would suggest to Timarick that prior to bad-mouthing and slamming an RP guild you might do your homework first.

You said

the ones that REAAALLY make me laugh are the ones like the Harbingers of the Sith'ari who act like Jedi (and in some cases ARE Jedi converts)

First, this argument is just plain ridiculous based on the fact that it was DARK JEDI (Jedi converts) that first discovered the Sith race. The co-mingling between the Dark Jedi and Sith race is what has given us the Sith as we know them now.

Additionally, there are multiple cases of Jedi converting to the dark side. Some of the most famous are Anakin and Luke Skywalker. Heck Anakin spends the majority of his life as a sith after being a Jedi. Converting is neither a new concept nor rare. Read the books, watch the movies; it's fairly prominent.

If that isn't enough for you let's just take a look at Jaesa our warrior companion in the game. Jaesa is a Jedi that the warrior pursues to convert. I could be really rude now and just roflmao at your conversion comments but instead I will simply say that even if converting did not exist anywhere else in the lore, the developers and writers set a precedent for it with the Jaesa story arc they built into the game.

Then you said

I can't stand when people don't use the lore to their disposal

Do you know what the Sith'Ari is? Do you know what a harbinger is? Do you have any idea what the Harbingers of Sith'Ari are? I must believe you do not as this is also an invalid statement. The Harbingers of Sith'Ari entire foundation is taken straight out of the Star Wars lore. Per Star Wars lore the Sith'ari is:

"One who has freed themselves from all restrictions has reached perfection, their potential fulfilled. Perfect strength, perfect power, perfect destiny. Imagine it."

―Yuthura Ban (Yuthura & his quote are directly from Star Wars lore)

Sith'ari was a title that, in the ancient Sith language, meant "Lord" or "Overlord," first claimed by King Adas. After Adas's death, the term became the subject of a legend and a prophecy.

The prophecy goes like this:

The Sith'ari will be free of limits.

The Sith'ari will lead the Sith and destroy them.

The Sith'ari will raise the Sith from death and make them stronger than before.

Sometime during the early history of the First Sith Empire, (this game is set after the First Empire and therefore access to the prophecy is available) the coming of the Sith'ari was foretold. Inspired by the legend of Adas, the Sith'ari was prophesied a perfect being, free of all restrictions—the ultimate Sith.

Now, do you have any clue what a "harbinger" is? Just in case you don't allow me to clarify, a harbinger is one who comes before. Therefore the "Harbingers" of "The Sith'Ari" are people who happen to believe in the prophecy of the sith'ari but precede him (that means comes before him) by many years. This, nor converting from the Jedi order, does not exclude them from being Imperials in any way. If anything it makes them fanatics that follow a Sith, therefore Imperial, prophecy.

Now if you still don't believe that this guild is in fact using the Star Wars lore I shall tell you that the prophecy of the Sith'ari is in 4 Star Wars books plus the following books:

• The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

• The New Essential Chronology

• The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force

• Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side

I do not know what your issue with this particular guild is, but their guild story (not personal, individual stories) happens to be very in-depth, well thought out and takes into consideration how they would be viewed by both the Empire and Republic if this were a real setting. Therefore I suggest that the next time you decide to bash someone, try learning about them first so you can at least make valid arguments.

P.S. I'm sure the Harbingers of Sith'Ari really appreciate the opportunity to explain their guild premise to the entire SWTOR community thanks to your rude comments. Good job man. :D

Edited by lpcg

I like to think of the sith in the cantina the same way you view anyone at any bar

Everyone's Top dog when on the sauce

I just stay in character all the time and if you approach me in /say then we are going to RP it up

My characters are pretty simple with pretty straight forward jobs and certainly not overpowered