Please introduce dual spec ASAP

Ultrazen

For one very important reason, it would solve the looking for healer problem.

1. Specing heals isn't enough of a boost to healing to justify it as your only spec.

2. You tend to spend 90% of the game soloing missions, and having only a heal spec slows the game down quite a bit.

3. Constantly respecing isn't really a viable option long term for many reasons.

This game really could benefit from dual spec.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss this topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

Dual spec is just a quality of life item similiar to mounts. They already have credit and time sinks involved for acquiring mounts. I'd just say to give dual spec a lofty goal. Req. level 50 and 2,000,000 credits. The way its set up now if someone really wants to respec constantly its just going to be a time and money sink so make acquiring the feature exactly that.

I still want to see some of the pro dual-spec people come up with a good explanation why dual-spec is different than dual-AC.

Both lead to different play styles/abilities/etc. I can't see how you logically can be pro dual-spec, anti dual-AC. Of course it's fine to assume the pro dual-spec, pro dual-AC position but I would argue that it waters down the classes and choices (which I'm not the first one to point out though).

I still want to see some of the pro dual-spec people come up with a good explanation why dual-spec is different than dual-AC.

Both lead to different play styles/abilities/etc. I can't see how you logically can be pro dual-spec, anti dual-AC. Of course it's fine to assume the pro dual-spec, pro dual-AC position but I would argue that it waters down the classes and choices (which I'm not the first one to point out though).

Wouldnt have an issue with that give it the same grind as everything else thats Quality of Life gets.

I'd have to say no to dual spec.

Leveling a healer myself there are no issues playing this type of class in SWTOR (unlike that the OP is suggesting). The companions make it possible to level without too much trouble. I don't feel I'm behind any of my friends / guildies just because I'm playing a healer.

Dual spec leads to:

- DPS players pretending to be a tank / healer

- They are not speced correctly

- Do not have the right gear to play that class

- Most importantly have no clue on the mechanics of how to play that class.

There are plenty of tanks and healers in this game, the question is as a player do you want that sort of responsibility at end game..

Most people don't so they role the DPS option...

Because AC is essentially a different class entirely for some classes. You're looking at it like there are only 8 classes when there are actually 16.

Look at the enormous difference in playstyle between Assassin/shadow and sorcerer/sage. One is essentially a mage and the other a rogue type class.

Now the difference in play style in say a Deception assassin and a darkness assassin (dps and tank) is not so much a difference as shifting from nearly all melee to ranged.

Dualspec would allow more tanks and healers while keeping you confined to the advanced class you chose since every class has a selection where you could shift between.

Also some classes, a dual AC system would make no sense. Why would a shadow consular be able to be completely into the force and then at a moments notice be able to switch to more of a lightsaber fighter?

Aside from that it would completely remove the reason to want to re-level a classes to choose a different AC, thus you're effectively killing leveling longevity. People stop rolling new toons, they get bored, they quit.

As an example, I played WoW on and off for 6 years. I had several capped toons, I participated heavily in endgame content but if I had no reason to go back and make alts and learn new things while leveling I wouldn't have played for as long as I did.

Dual-spec, fine.

Dual-AC no way in hell would I want that.

As for the OP, I would like to see dual-spec.

But at this juncture I think Bioware needs to focus more on fixing technical issues with the game before they start implementing and adding new features.

Edited by HavenAE

I will throw my 3 cents ( inflation ) worth in and say "no" to dual spec. Choices should make a major difference in TOR. I think one of the things which has lead to the slow degrade of WoW is the addition of dual spec. Edited by Valkirus

Dualspec will come. But honestly I wouldn't expect it in the next 12 months. The game is still fresh many things are in flux, from a DEVs PoV introducing Dualspec now might have many unforseeable consequences.

BW will probably just wait a while till things calm down before they introduce anything game changing.

I will throw my 3 cents ( inflation ) worth in and say "no" to dual spec. Choices should make a major difference in TOR. I think one of the things which has lead to the slow degrade of WoW is the addition to dual spec.

This is incredibly short sighted.

First this game will have to rely heavily on it's endgame. To deny dual-spec would be to weaken that function. Less tanks and less healers means less operations and flashpoints.

You can already reset your spec for credits, so choosing your role isn't something that's a permanent choice in the first place. Now if you're confused and you think people mean you should be able to switch between once advanced class and the other, then I agree you should be locked into that. But as far as group roles go, more options and flexability is a good thing for the game in the long run.

People do not want to and will not play a game where they have to spend hours waiting for a healer or tank to long on or come around to run a raid or a dungeon. I for one did enough of that in Final Fantasy XI.

Edited by HavenAE

dual specc is what in wow would be switching from a fire mage to a frost mage: no big deal

dual AC is like asking to change from a mage to a priest.

no thx. i agree on dual specc if decently implemented, but there has to be SOME limit and dual AC is crossing the line imo.

Edited by zandadoum

I'd like duel spec, I've got a level 23 Jedi Guardian and I really regret making him tank, for two reasons... Solo playing is really slow and takes me a while to take a group of mobs down. And I've recently got really interested in pvp on other characters and I tried playing on my Jedi Guardian and I sank like the titanic.

I want to make my Jedi... Sentinal.

Because AC is essentially a different class entirely for some classes. You're looking at it like there are only 8 classes when there are actually 16.

Look at the enormous difference in playstyle between Assassin/shadow and sorcerer/sage. One is essentially a mage and the other a rogue type class.

Now the difference in play style in say a Deception assassin and a darkness assassin (dps and tank) is not so much a difference as shifting from nearly all melee to ranged.

I take it you mean 4 classes compared to 8? But I agree, they are distinct but so are different specs. It's not just something you should flip-flop between.

There's a huge difference in playstyle as well between healer and rogue but scoundrel can do decide to do both. I think the 2 as completely different of each other yet they are within the same AC. I can't see why you make the distinction between ranged/melee but not healing/dps'ing.

Dualspec would allow more tanks and healers while keeping you confined to the advanced class you chose since every class has a selection where you could shift between.

Also some classes, a dual AC system would make no sense. Why would a shadow consular be able to be completely into the force and then at a moments notice be able to switch to more of a lightsaber fighter?

I agree that it might increase the number of possible healers/tanks.

The other thing you pointed can also be applied to dual-specs.

While it's convenient, it ruins the immersion/diversity/etc.

Aside from that it would completely remove the reason to want to re-level a classes to choose a different AC, thus you're effectively killing leveling longevity. People stop rolling new toons, they get bored, they quit.

As an example, I played WoW on and off for 6 years. I had several capped toons, I participated heavily in endgame content but if I had no reason to go back and make alts and learn new things while leveling I wouldn't have played for as long as I did.

I'll try not to put words in your mouth but one reason I've heard people support dual spec is because rolling an alt is not an option for them.

As for your WoW example, I'm not exactly sure how that supports dual spec. Care to elaborate?

Dual-spec, fine.

Dual-AC no way in hell would I want that.

I disagree and can not see why you make that distinction. Hopefully I've made myself more clear.

dual specc is what in wow would be switching from a fire mage to a frost mage: no big deal

dual AC is like asking to change from a mage to a priest.

no thx. i agree on dual specc if decently implemented, but there has to be SOME limit and dual AC is crossing the line imo.

Not exactly. I'm not sure comparing it to WoW makes any sense in this case. Unless you spec for healing on some characters, it's basically useless. I'm pretty sure you'll never see a scrapper scoundrel heal in an instance late-game.

Even though I play with guildmates in instances, I see no use for SWTOR to having dualspec. One thing I hated in WoW is dualspec; everyone was needing on things they said they needed to their offspec and the person who actually needed it (and could use it) never got it.

Even though I play with guildmates in instances, I see no use for SWTOR to having dualspec. One thing I hated in WoW is dualspec; everyone was needing on things they said they needed to their offspec and the person who actually needed it (and could use it) never got it.

offspecc roll = greed. not need.

if someone claims otherwise, he's just being a greedy douchebag

this can actually currently happen in swtor too: need for companion! need for offspecc (coz you know, you CAN respecc currently)

so, if you hated that in wow, you'll hate it here too and having or not, a dual specc system, won't make a difference.

I am in favor of dual-spec but mainly because i like to enjoy both the pve and pvp part of the game when i play mmo's. As hard as i can try making talents work best for pvp would hurt my abilities in pve and same goes the other way around. If im running flash points as my sniper im not gonna take cover screen for ranged defense, when i might actually want to take it if i want to do some warzones.

Not saying i want or need to see it implemented soon, but running back to the skill trainer every time i decide to switch from pvp to pve would be a little redundant and costly if i had to guess

Now I'm going to come out and say I'm pro dual spec and I would not be against being able to switch AC's depending on things however I do very much see the anti AC swapping's side.

But on that note dual spec is different than AC in a couple of meaningful ways, but first lets see how they're similar.

1) They allow you to switch playstyles.

And thats where the similarities end. Now how are they different?

1) The degree of playstyle switch.

2) In multiple cases vastly different proficiencies between AC's

Now while that only means it has one more difference than similarities I'd like to point out that item 1 here covers a whole hell of a lot. This is not to slight number 2 which in some cases is really changes things.

For example Inquisitor/Counsular you go from a melee character to a ranged character switching advanced classes. Whereas switching specs inside of the advanced class keeps you as a ranged or melee character though your role -might- change. Remember each of the consular/inquisitor advanced classes have 2 dps and one other role, healer/tank, so you could go from one dps spec to another dps spec.

The second thing is gear...vastly differen equipment options between some of the advanced classes. Heavy vs Medium armor, two weapons instead of one, completely different weapons in some regards.

So the biggest thing is the vastly dispirate playstyles between advanced classes. Switching a spec inside of an advance class doesn't affect the playstyle as much as switching to an entirely different AC does.

Dual spec leads to:

- DPS players pretending to be a tank / healer

- They are not speced correctly

- Do not have the right gear to play that class

- Most importantly have no clue on the mechanics of how to play that class.

There are plenty of tanks and healers in this game, the question is as a player do you want that sort of responsibility at end game..

Most people don't so they role the DPS option...

Even with a only one spec you can find bad healers, tank or dps without right gears or not speced correctly with no clue how the mechanics works. The problem are not the numbers of spec but how bad/good are players...^^;

There are players capable to manage more than a role... and player that are anable to manage one single spec... the question is not on the number of specs, but on being able to choose.

I understand that is't more easy to massimize only one spec, you dont have to read a lots of theorycraft, it's easy to equip ect...

but for all the players that came from others mmo where we have more than a class/spec and we fit more than a role, it's kinda frustrating an old system like that.

Have more than one spec, doesn't means that you MUST play different specs, no one force you to use all the avaible spacs, but simply you can choose: play only one or massimize different specs and while you are leveling your class, is the best moment for learning how the different specs works. Actually if I wanna try dfferent spec I must respect every time, rebild talents, optimize my ui...

Frankly I doubt Bioware is able to add more than one spec at this game... not now.

More specs means flexibility, find a way to manage a wardrobe, more storage space, an interface that can automatically change when you change specs with saved settings... and optimize equip for different specs... things to consider when you are under development, not after.

But soon or later Bioware will be force to add more than a spec (and a looking for group tools), so would have been better stay a step ahead, rather than follow the same footsteps of other developers... and have this problems already solved maybe with some new ideas.

[sorry for my bad english]

I think they should put dual spec into the game ASAP.

Dual speccing would be useful for people like me that do PvE and PvP. I play a tank in PvE and I would like to have the option to dual spec for a PvP dual spec.

Obviously dual AC is not feasible because you chose a specific AC for a reason and it impacts your leveling experience. You chose one, stick with it.

I really want to know what this discussion is suppose to bring about?

Bioware and EA are going to do what's best for the GROWTH of the game. Less players equals less cash.

Before you say anything one way or the other. Look at the trends in the MMO industry in terms of grouping, guilds and how they handle PvE and PVP.

Ask yourself what would you really do if you had to appease millions of players at once on this issue.

Not your guild, not your clique of friends. Something that would mean the bottom line for your company and whether or not you'd be pulling a paycheck six months from now.

Doesn't matter what the developers say in interviews, it matters what's best for their buisness. This is a buisness by the way, they're not your friend. They don't care about you in that way. They care about you as CUSTOMER not as a FRIEND.

If this Dual Spec ever came down to it, how many customers would they GAIN/LOSE if they didn't implement it and how many would they GAIN/LOSE if they did implement it?

Ask yourself those questions before you attack one another, because the game doesn't revolve around you.

The developers at the end of the day need to pay their bills and you can be sure they'll do what's best to accomplish that goal. Not our own tunnel vision idea of what should be in perfect world if we were king, judge, and jury of MMOs.