Starship improvement suggestions....

LordArtemis

I would suggest some improvements to personal starships. First, let me go over the smaller changes I feel would be beneficial.

1) Mail and Market kiosk

Installable module to place a mail and market kiosk on your ship. No ability to send mail or post auctions, but you can retrieve mail and browse/purchase from the market.

ADDED TO THE GAME

2) Closing doors

Simple. Doors should be hatches that open and close like on the ships in flashpoints. At the very least the door should close on my personal quarters.

3) Legacy Cargo bay/bank

Add legacy storage access in my quarters. This would be an item that all of my characters in my legacy could access from their quarters. it would also allow, with legacy unlocks, EC to be deposited in a legacy wide bank that all legacy toons could access.

LEGACY STORAGE ADDED TO THE GAME IN STRONGHOLDS

4) Landing on planets

Put a button in the gui when sitting in the pilots seat to land on a planet when I arrive. It is silly for me to have to WALK out of my exit hatch just to land.

I would also add that I think the initial visit to each and every planet should be similar to the intro space cinematic you experience when you first visit Makeb. That was a great sequence and I think it would immerse the players more in the importance of each planet. Naturally this would be triggered by progression in the storyline.

5) Minigames to improve ship performance/buffs

Remember the override/slicing minigames in ME? I think it would be good to be able to go to my engine room, or on my bridge at certain stations, certain control stations on the ship and activate small minigames where I can boost power output (faster shield regeneration, more powerful weapons), reenforce systems (makes the ship resist damage) or improve engine efficiency (lower travel cost). A successful minigame outcome would provide a temp buff to that system. Ties in to multiplayer options below.

6) Ability to shuttle to our ship

Much like the fleet pass, allow us to command our ship to come and pick us up. We would go straight into space, no need for launch cinematic. 18 hour cooldown.

ADDED TO THE GAME

7) Ability to enter our ship without taking off

You would need to design limited backdrops for when we look out of our bridge window, or you can just have blast shields down over the windows. In other words we can stay on planet without launching our ship. Ties in to on-ship missions below.

8) Gun turrets

Add gun turret stations for all spaceships, different locations based on ship design, at least two would be best.

9) Ability to direct companions to repair damaged system when in space combat

Add a button to command companions to repair your ship.

10) Allow players to sit and sleep in different positions around the ship. Every chair should be a sit capable object, and the bed should be a trigger for a sleep emote.

ADDED TO THE GAME USING EMOTE COMMANDS FOR STRONGHOLDS

11) Add a workstation to our starship. We actually already have the station, we only need for it to be set up as a workstation point.

More in depth changes for the future....

1) Missions on and around our ship

Missions that trigger when we approach our ship or leave it, or when traveling through space. Getting attacked, repel borders, fix systems that are malfunctioning to escape, etc.

2) Ability for players to join you on your ship and play along when you go into space combat

They can man turrets, play minigames to fix ship damage or lengthen buffs, etc.

3) Players can join you in their starships for your space combat mission

Players will group up with you, go to their ship, you choose your space combat mission, they can join you in their ship, so you fly the pipe together. Friendly fire should be enabled.

4) Mission to go on attack run, then land and invade a ship

Allowing group play in the space mission would allow for this kind of mission to be authored. Could be set up as a flashpoint. You fight your way to a point, knock out a ships shields, land and fight on foot as usual.

5) Allow players to acquire a different ship at level cap

Players would be given a choice to turn in their ship for any of the other ships available. This could be a legacy unlock item.

6) Ability to customize both the exterior (color, markings, etc) and interior (SWG style interior decorating system, NO HOOKS)

Add decorations and awards/trophies to the game to quest for. Could be tied into an achievement system.

That's it for now, may add more later or add suggestions from others. Thanks.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Closing doors

3) Cargo bay

These irk me. I want doors that open and close. They exist ingame, why can't we at least have a door that closes on the personal quarters? And the Cargo Bay should be accessible from the one in my quarters. Or if we perhaps get a Legacy Bank, have the one in the cargo hold be the shared bank and the one in your quarters be the character specific one.

5) Minigames to improve ship performance/buffs

It would be so nice just to be able to interact with the ship's interior more. Jedi Knights get a hololibrary of messages sent to you by a certain NPC you encounter. I was delighted to find these and then spent an hour exploring the interiors of my other ships to see if something similar had occurred on them. Clickable consoles that maybe provide a small cutscene with a companion interacting with it (and you), a chess table that actual works, a hololibrary (Codex, maybe?)...

6) Ability to shuttle to our ship [...]18 hour cooldown.

The ability to shuttle to our ship would be greatly appreciated, but why suggest the long CD? Never understood why there has to be such long CDs on abilities like this that just make it easier to get around.

1) Missions on and around our ship

Would be so nice...

5) Allow players to acquire a different ship at level cap

Players would be given a choice to turn in their ship for any of the other ships available.

Or just a Legacy unlock that allows you to use ships you've already got. My Inquisitor would really like to have the Agent ship.

6) Ability to customize both the exterior (color, markings, etc) and interior (SWG style interior decorating system, NO HOOKS)

Add decorations and awards/trophies to the game to quest for. Could be tied into an achievement system.

Every time I marry one of my companions, they send me wonderful little letters and gifts. I've kept those gifts and would really like to display them. (Although, perhaps if the gifts they sent you were a little more appropriate for displaying it would be nice.) During one of my conversations with Andronikos, he gave me an ornamental sword. I'd love to have that hanging up somewhere. Perhaps an actual, physical representation of the Codex would be nice.

One thing that bugs me about the ships is that except for the Smuggler ship, you get no sense that people really live there. It's the only one (as far as I can remember) that actually has a compartment that looks like a galley. So far on all my ships I've got up to 6 people making this their home. The ships are far too spartan and stark. And quiet. They're kind of spooky sometimes.

Oh. I'd like to request something specific: The ability to turn off the Space Mission icon. That thing drives me nuts.

Not bad ideas, though I'm not sure about the ones concerning space combat. Honestly, I'd rather do away with current space missions and have something more free-roamy. I'm actually making a pretty big post as we speak regarding space revamps. Be sure to look for it and give me your opinion!

I agree that the smuggler ship feels more lived in than the one for JK Sentinel, something that I really like. Would also enjoy putting more stuff into the ship that made it feel like my ship, like Andronikos sword one person mentioned earlier.

Legacy-bank on ship would be glorious, I would do anything to get my hand on a bank-slot like that!

Another thing that really would make me happy. I do space-missions =) and you get to hear audio from one of your comps. So far I've played with JK, Smuggler and Sith Warrior. It would be great if I could get to choose who was my co-pilot. Smuggler and her Corso works great for me, as does my Sith Warrior and Vette. But if it was possible I would love to have a different co-pilot than Kira but I just don't get along with her. I'm sure other people have different wishes for fav-pilot. It would be nice to get the company of the companion that you like. Hmm... that is really on the nice-to-have-list. Not a biggie at all. Just a suggestion.

Edited by SilentKitty

I like some of these ideas, especially the legacy bank access. That could be the cargo hold...the legacy access for the cargo hold could be set in different panes, using a drop down menu for all of your characters you have purchased it for on your ship.

I would second that they should also give legacy access on the fleet station as well.

mail and kiosk are already available through legacy unlock, but I think that limited options should be available for free, and the cost for extra should be lowered.

I def would like to see more customization for my ship, even if i'm the only one who ever sees it!

Mail and Kiosk is available through legacy unlock? How does that work on a ship?

Yes, the idea with some of the suggestions is that it can open up our starships as mission points, which just makes the ship feel more like OUR ship in the Star Wars universe.

After all, the size of the ships reminds of the Falcon.

Mail and Kiosk is available through legacy unlock? How does that work on a ship?

The Mailbox and GTN kiosk on your ship are already available for purchase for your Legacy. It's a one time purchase (for 100K and 5 million credits, respectively). IE, once you purchase the mailbox for your ship, you get a mailbox on all existing ships and ships for any characters created in the future.

Yes, the idea with some of the suggestions is that it can open up our starships as mission points, which just makes the ship feel more like OUR ship in the Star Wars universe.

It would be really nice to be able to aquire the daily/weekly missions through a console on our ship instead of having to go to the fleet to pick them up. I almost always log out on my ship. Being able to log in, pick up my daily HM mission, then hop over to do my dailies would be so much easier than to have to remember to go to the Fleet, then get the mission, go back to my ship, then head to Corellia or Belsavis.

i have just started the game this week

my main gripe about starships is the utility

my starship could easily be replaced by just taking a shuttle from fleet to my next planet and save some loading screens in the process

i realize the game has limited capacity but getting one's starship should be a momentous occasion

but, tbh, my ships in kotor 1 and 2 were much more enjoyable

however, i could get over most of this if my ship itself was just a little more interactive (i'm thinking along the lines of shep's personal quarters in me2) and many of the suggestions brought up by op address this (especially the points regarding automatic screen loading upon entering)

for example:

i would love to listen to some music in my own personal quarters and be able to summon my companions there

to discuss their performance

i would at least like to "fly" my starship if only to select a region on the galaxy map and then cruise around (a la me2) to the planets and points of interest within said region

i would like my companions to move around on the ship

as a sith inquisitor i personally get annoyed at andronicus standing so nonchalantly that i wish i could force lightening the slacker and khem should be restless wanting to get back to feeding on my victims

i understand the growing pains of a new game in its first year of release but there was so much hype with the personal starship that to say i was let down is an understatement

Edited by Daxy

• 1 month later...
i have just started the game this week

my main gripe about starships is the utility

my starship could easily be replaced by just taking a shuttle from fleet to my next planet and save some loading screens in the process

i realize the game has limited capacity but getting one's starship should be a momentous occasion

but, tbh, my ships in kotor 1 and 2 were much more enjoyable

however, i could get over most of this if my ship itself was just a little more interactive (i'm thinking along the lines of shep's personal quarters in me2) and many of the suggestions brought up by op address this (especially the points regarding automatic screen loading upon entering)

for example:

i would love to listen to some music in my own personal quarters and be able to summon my companions there

to discuss their performance

i would at least like to "fly" my starship if only to select a region on the galaxy map and then cruise around (a la me2) to the planets and points of interest within said region

i would like my companions to move around on the ship

as a sith inquisitor i personally get annoyed at andronicus standing so nonchalantly that i wish i could force lightening the slacker and khem should be restless wanting to get back to feeding on my victims

i understand the growing pains of a new game in its first year of release but there was so much hype with the personal starship that to say i was let down is an understatement

Companions moving around the ship is a big one IMO. The fact that they just stand there, instead of working on panels, reading...I don't know, doing something other than holding a wall up or the floor down makes the ship feel pretty lifeless IMO.

• 5 weeks later...
I like all the suggestions that were in the OP. But I have to agree with others that the Cool Down suggested was a big long..18 hours? No way..should make it 4 to 5 hour cool down. I've been wanting to decorate my ship since I started playing the game. The ships just feel cold and foreign. I mean they are suppose to be my character's home away from home..so I should be allowed to decorate it and make it feel like a home. I also love the suggestion that some one else made about being able to display the items you are given when you marry one of your companions. That's a great idea..because it helps to make the ship feel more like some one lives there. I also agree with the suggestion that our companions should be able to move and roam around the ship. Why should they always have to stand in the same place all the time!? I'd love to enter my ship and walk into an area to find Kira and T7 playing Holo chess ...or even walk in on Therian getting a lap dance from Holiday ^^ that would be great for a laugh..and just go to make the ship feel like its more of a home.

There are some very nice sugestions about our ships.

Now, the "issue" with teleporting to the ship instead of running to the spaceport, in many cases, we would miss some quests like the bonus series that we can only get in the spaceport after we finish the main quest line.

Ofc, that could be solved if we get a message via holocam everytime we unlock some new quest, so the npc with the new quests would call us and ask us to meet them.

Legacy bank sounds great, would love access in my quarters, also, a jukebox.

non-stationary companions would be great... even if they only walked around the room they are in.

Closing doors, definitely...

Cantina games would be cool. Like pazaak, with cards or card packs available on the cartel shop.

Ship missions... thinking Visas Marr KotOR2... I think that was her name...

Some kind of interior personalization... banners, trophies, a throw rug... something...

flashpoint access? Rather jump to flashpoints from my ship than the dropships from fleet...

Item modification station? I don't know if that's available from legacy or not...

I just wished that my personal starship felt as viable as it did in KotOR...

Edited by Nide

There are some very nice sugestions about our ships.

Now, the "issue" with teleporting to the ship instead of running to the spaceport, in many cases, we would miss some quests like the bonus series that we can only get in the spaceport after we finish the main quest line.

Ofc, that could be solved if we get a message via holocam everytime we unlock some new quest, so the npc with the new quests would call us and ask us to meet them.

Ah, I didn't even think about this. Ill have to mull over this and see if I can alter the suggestion accordingly.

2) Ability for players to join you on your ship and play along when you go into space combat

They can man turrets, play minigames to fix ship damage or lengthen buffs, etc.

3) Players can join you in their starships for your space combat mission

Players will group up with you, go to their ship, you choose your space combat mission, they can join you in their ship, so you fly the pipe together. Friendly fire should be enabled.

4) Mission to go on attack run, then land and invade a ship

Allowing group play in the space mission would allow for this kind of mission to be authored. Could be set up as a flashpoint. You fight your way to a point, knock out a ships shields, land and fight on foot as usual.

I support these the most

My BH's ship still looks like a garbage scow http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328/420/9/Mantis1.jpg and considering what you do to get it ... I would have preferred a different design at least.

Fury = http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328/420/9/Fury2.jpg

Phantom +==+ http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328/420/9/Phantom1.jpg

EA also broke the droid previous fix, he no longer shuts his pie hole.

A little more customization wouldn't hurt, nor some different mini games to wile away the time.

Have Legacy perks that cover a wide range of things along with normal storage.

BW is dead, long live EA Sports, may they L2D

• 1 month later...
Companions moving around the ship is a big one IMO. The fact that they just stand there, instead of working on panels, reading...I don't know, doing something other than holding a wall up or the floor down makes the ship feel pretty lifeless IMO.

Funny I remember they used to walk around in Kotor seems like it would not be that hard.

"

Some kind of interior personalization... banners, trophies, a throw rug... something...

flashpoint access? Rather jump to flashpoints from my ship than the dropships from fleet...

Item modification station? I don't know if that's available from legacy or not...

I just wished that my personal starship felt as viable as it did in KotOR...

You would think this would of been on their minds with the cartel shop, talk about a money sink to buy other ships and personalize the intior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...