Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017

EricMusco

I'm not Keith, but I'll hop in on this one!

You're definitely right - our goal was absolutely to encourage Open World PvP on Iokath. One of our main motivations for including stuff like playable vehicles and Op bosses and Player loot was to make PvP on Iokath a unique and interesting experience compared to Outlaw's Den or Ilum. And, yeah, it just doesn't seem to have grabbed folks' interest.

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions. Presumably better incentives would be a great way to start, but I'd love to hear your thoughts (and everyone else's) on the subject. In the coming weeks one of the discussion topics we will make is on this very topic!

Your problem is OWPVP just sucks. There is no way around it. Most of your player base isn't interested and does everything they can to avoid it. PVP in this game is poorly designed (of course that can be said for every bit of 4.0 and 5.0, too.) I detest PVP and only do a few warzones to help out guildies. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague. When I look around, i see that seems to be the case in general. Look at your PVP instances and PVP servers. They're all dead. I don't think there is much you can do to change that at this point, you waited YEARS too long.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not really. I do not do pvp. Nothing will ever get me to do something I don't like on a game.

Wish more people could be like that... so many idiots who think AFKing in PvP is justified because some 248 pieces are missing from PvE....

Like... if they're not released, wait till they are, and then grind them. Why do content you hate, AND mess up the content for others? That's simultaneously masochistic and sadistic...

Your problem is OWPVP just sucks. There is no way around it. Most of your player base isn't interested and does everything they can to avoid it. PVP in this game is poorly designed (of course that can be said for every bit of 4.0 and 5.0, too.) I detest PVP and only do a few warzones to help out guildies. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague. When I look around, i see that seems to be the case in general. Look at your PVP instances and PVP servers. They're all dead. I don't think there is much you can do to change that at this point, you waited YEARS too long.

:rolleyes:

Just because you dislike some content, doesn't mean the vast majority of the game does. PvP instances are dead because OWPvP is dead. PvP servers are dead because PvP instanceade the servers redundant, and every switched to the highest population servers they could. Harb, TEH, JC, Shadowlands, they all have PvP communities. Some thriving, some struggling, but all very much existing, continuing to play a game that you shortsightedly claim is dead.

Do a simple search for each of the warzones in the find tool. You'll usually find at least 5-20 warzones going on concurrently. Look at the Ranked leaderboard. There are 25,000 players on it. If you take a very big leap assume Ranked represents 25% of the PvP playerbase, (which is honestly an absurd estimate, it's likely much much lower) then the PvP community consists of around 100,000 players. If you take amore realistic assumption of Ranked being much lower than 25%, you have much more than 100k players. After this, of you follow the sub estimates, they range between 200k (lowest estimates made by naysayers) to 500k (can't be anywhere above this because of their "this is the largest number of subscribers in 3 years" statement released on the February after KotFE came out). By that logic, the 100k represents between 20% to 50% of the paying playerbase.

Learn to put aside your own biases against the way the game does PvP, and recognize that there are a 100k other people, many of whom pay just the same sub fee you do, and they have every right to demand content, and when a dev finally decides to listen to them, you're saying the dev is late? So whatever players we still do have will leave too????

You're definitely right - our goal was absolutely to encourage Open World PvP on Iokath. One of our main motivations for including stuff like playable vehicles and Op bosses and Player loot was to make PvP on Iokath a unique and interesting experience compared to Outlaw's Den or Ilum. And, yeah, it just doesn't seem to have grabbed folks' interest.

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions. Presumably better incentives would be a great way to start, but I'd love to hear your thoughts (and everyone else's) on the subject. In the coming weeks one of the discussion topics we will make is on this very topic!

I think if you make it worth while... and I mean really worth while to participate in it.. then it would at least get people to try.. and they have to try.. not just good participation "special snowflake" rewards.. I guess they could have a participation reward, but it wouldn't be worth while just going there to farm it without trying.. maybe even add a medal reward system too.. but not the same as actual WZs or you have people trolling.. there should also be a cap limit on how many rewards can be obtained in there to stop trolling.. a balance needs to be found that gets them in there for a good period of time.. but also one that reduces some of the incentive to troll.. I would also suggest that stealths lose their "total" black out ability in that section.. it could go back to the old detection range so that they can't stand on top of you waiting till you have low health etc.

But don't put unique items in there that can only be obtained there because that will just piss people off and you'll get accused of "making" people play it.

If you were to offer a nice cache of components or more than normal CXP or boosts or something like that, I think that might encourage people to try.

I think if you make it worth while... and I mean really worth while to participate in it.. then it would at least get people to try.. and they have to try.. not just good participation "special snowflake" rewards.. I guess they could have a participation reward, but it wouldn't be worth while just going there to farm it without trying.. maybe even add a medal reward system too.. but not the same as actual WZs or you have people trolling.. there should also be a cap limit on how many rewards can be obtained in there to stop trolling.. a balance needs to be found that gets them in there for a good period of time.. but also one that reduces some of the incentive to troll.. I would also suggest that stealths lose their "total" black out ability in that section.. it could go back to the old detection range so that they can't stand on top of you waiting till you have low health etc.

But don't put unique items in there that can only be obtained there because that will just piss people off and you'll get accused of "making" people play it.

If you were to offer a nice cache of components or more than normal CXP or boosts or something like that, I think that might encourage people to try.

More or less this. People don't go to Iokath because there is no reason to go to Iokath. Make some compelling PvP rewards there, and people will be incentivized to go.

The PvE crowd will whine about being "forced to PvP", so something will need to be added for them too. Otherwise the salt avalanche will be spectacular. Evidence:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9284358

Edited by stoopicus

Maybe have the option of anyone in PvP queue but not actually in a WZ to go there into the PvP instance with enemies marked as red dots. - With enough incentives and rewards, an a minimum population requirement it could be a lot of fun....Especially in quieter times when WZs pop less frequently. - Or as a halfway house between 4v4 arena and full 8v8.

OWPvP is not a thing. Even I am always in PvP instance on Iokath, and what happens is, you get ganged by PvP groups. You are running all by your lonesome and next thing you know 3 assassins are wailing on you; or people just lure a bunch on mobs on you for an easy kill.

Think about it, you have all these supposed PvPers and you make a PvP instance on Iokath but its deserted.... why? PvPers do not want to fight each other, its too hard. They just want to gang unsuspecting newbs who are trying to complete a quest. Same thing happen on Ilum, with PvP guilds farming players at the pylons.

Even if you make better rewards, all that will happen is guild will go and win-trade with each other for the achievements and what-not then its back to square one. It's a dead horse, let it go :D

It is an issue many face I believe. While it is of course a lot of fun to decorate a behemoth like Yavin or Tatooine, I really think we need smaller-sized ones as I mentioned as well. Not only would it also provide the RP community with amazing new places to RP in but also be a breather from all the big SH's we already have. Variety is fun :)

I disagree. I fully enjoyed decorating all 5 SHs fully. Now I can't wait for a new one to do that again. Smaller SHs would shorten the time of fun.

If it's too big for you, don't decorate it fully. Don't unlock all rooms. You don't have to. But don't limit it for those, who'd like to.

OWPvP is not a thing. Even I am always in PvP instance on Iokath, and what happens is, you get ganged by PvP groups. You are running all by your lonesome and next thing you know 3 assassins are wailing on you; or people just lure a bunch on mobs on you for an easy kill.

Think about it, you have all these supposed PvPers and you make a PvP instance on Iokath but its deserted.... why? PvPers do not want to fight each other, its too hard. They just want to gang unsuspecting newbs who are trying to complete a quest. Same thing happen on Ilum, with PvP guilds farming players at the pylons.

Even if you make better rewards, all that will happen is guild will go and win-trade with each other for the achievements and what-not then its back to square one. It's a dead horse, let it go :D

Remove the group option or limit it to 2 people.

I disagree. I fully enjoyed decorating all 5 SHs fully. Now I can't wait for a new one to do that again. Smaller SHs would shorten the time of fun.

If it's too big for you, don't decorate it fully. Don't unlock all rooms. You don't have to. But don't limit it for those, who'd like to.

I never said it should be limited, I said add variety. Not all the Strongholds should be big. Don't get me wrong I had a crazy amount of fun decorating the Yavin SH fully as well. I am however asking for more variety in the game regarding SH. Sure, release a behemoth of a SH, I will love that. But release alongside it a smaller SH and I'll love it just as much.

How I miss the old days where all you had to do was to be really good and do NiM Operations and actually EARN the best gear for PVE.

I disagree. Why should someone who raids and someone who doesn't but spends equally the amount of time and effort into the game doing different activities not have the right to get the highest gear possible. That is one thing I adore about Galactic Command, it made the highest gear in game accesible to all, even fhe casual players. I don't do raids, never liked it too much, but I do PvP daily. Why shouldn't I have the right to earn the same high level gear a hardcore raider does?

@Keith, is there any chance the dev team will address the utter lack of PvP on Iokath, which is constantly advertised as being the hub of PvP in emails, promotions, etc? There's almost never more than 2 people in the PvP instance because you've given players the option to be immune to PvP in there.

Is this going to get addressed, or just quietly ignored and removed much like vanilla Ilum?

@charles

to be fair, up till now i didnt even know Iokath was a open PvP thing. mainly because there like always only 3 or 4 people on Iokath and those are just running those mini sidequests.

I didnt even Know Iokath was a PvP zone. good to know.

And that is the reason why I don't do OWPvP. When I used to play WoW I hated it. It made me leave a PvP server and go to PvE. I remember during wrath I'm just trying to quest and level and a group of 5 players on the other faction that were max level we're going around and just killing every single player they could find. I just logged off and came back later.

It's things like that why I avoid OWPvP. If I PvP I will do a warzone or arena. That's why they need to just stop with OWPvP. Even if the rewards are great all it does is like you said create either win trade scenarios or groups just going around and picking off single players.

That's simply you taking your prior bad experiences and makingassive assumptions out of them.

Don't like getting attacked? Don't enter the very explicitly marked PvP instances... you can be entirely immune to any and all PvP in this game, don't use the "I always get ganked so you should give them no content!!!!!" logic. It was absurd even with vanilla, but now when PvP immunity is a thing, it's downright asinine to claim that ganking is your reason to not provide OWPvPers their content. You don't see PvPers enter NiM Ops, get killed by trash mobs, and then whine for nerfs to NiM content, so why exactly should PvP be gimped because a PvEr got ganked in an explicitly marked PvP instance?

And win-trading on Ilum isn't anywhere near as common as people like to pretend it is. Any time you go there during the Gree Event, you're likely to see a 4v4 going on at the central pylon, alongside several scattered 1v1s and 2v2s everywhere else in the Western Ice Shelf. The reason guilds appear to be "win-trading" is actually quite simple. Go there with a guild or who's not in your group. They don't allow you to attack guildies. Bioware intended for this to be a mechanic that allowed guilds to use numbers without removing the "Small Group FFA" designation from the region. So even IF guilds wanted to not help their guildies win, they'd have to make a group that isn't in the guild to be able to hurt their guildies. If a guild controls mid, well, go wrest it from them if it bothers you that much? They wrested it from someone before, may as well continue the cycle.

Stop pretending you have some insight into the PvP community and what they find hard and what they find easy, literally all you've said in this post is "I got murdered by 3 assassins in the most easily avoidable content in this game." Almost any PVPer worth their salt would form a group to take those Sims down instead, which is the exact reason Bioware has given you the option to not PvP if you don't want to.

And that is the reason why I don't do OWPvP. When I used to play WoW I hated it. It made me leave a PvP server and go to PvE. I remember during wrath I'm just trying to quest and level and a group of 5 players on the other faction that were max level we're going around and just killing every single player they could find. I just logged off and came back later.

It's things like that why I avoid OWPvP. If I PvP I will do a warzone or arena. That's why they need to just stop with OWPvP. Even if the rewards are great all it does is like you said create either win trade scenarios or groups just going around and picking off single players.

open world pvp and groups of people trolling level areas are two completely different things, people always seem to get that confused. max level people ganging up on and killing people leveling is not what people ask for when they ask for more owpvp. we don't have to get rid of owpvp, it just shouldn't be in a place where people are doing missions.

The Flashpoint will have Solo/Story, Veteran, and Master modes. In fact, any new Flashpoints will have all three modes.

Still wondering will we need to do the Operation to continue the story, or can we pass it and still move on?

Still wondering will we need to do the Operation to continue the story, or can we pass it and still move on?

You don't need to do the Op to continue the storyline.

Without getting into spoilers, the main storyline will continue in the future. You do not need to play the Operation to continue that part of the story. Although the Op will give you a taste of the gods :).

-eric

Edited by DarthDymond

For future reference, only missions marked by a purple marker and name will be considered crucial to the story. Yellow/Orange markers are considered side quests. Even if they do directly continue the story, they do so on a branch that ends and presents few choices, none of which are ever addressed again.

Aside from the Dread Operations, none of the operations have ever been compulsory for story continuation.

A few questions for Keith and co regarding the Roadmap:

- Will the story continue to be moving towards the original Republic vs Empire? I really would like to have the opportunity or at least the choice to rejoin my original faction, the Alliance thing starts feeling more and more unnatural to me. I play it because I have no choice (so far choices matter I guess) but I'd absolutely want to be able to shut down the Alliance thing and get back to the Sith Empire.

- With the team being more open to suggestions regarding character customization, will we also be seeing more appearance customization options? Seeing new hairstyles, new eye colours (like the Acina/Valkorion-style Dark Side Corruption eye colour), perhaps even new facial designs (like those high-res ones Vaylin, Arcann, Senya, Lana etc. have)?

- With a new stronghold coming out this summer, will we also see more Strongholds being released or will this be the only one? It would be great to see some variety in Stronghold sizes, like I'd absolutely love to see a small desert hut on Darvannis, a small shady appartment on Nal Hutta or a little homestead on Ord Mantell, a small Sith tomb on Korriban or a little cave on Tython.

- With a new stronghold coming out this summer, will we also see more Strongholds being released or will this be the only one? It would be great to see some variety in Stronghold sizes, like I'd absolutely love to see a small desert hut on Darvannis, a small shady appartment on Nal Hutta or a little homestead on Ord Mantell, a small Sith tomb on Korriban or a little cave on Tython.

This would be interesting for roleplay. While there's clearly no "all Jedi must forsake all their possessions" rule like the prequels, clearly the ability to set up a humble abode would be a natural choice for many Jedi. Likewise, it makes no sense for every Bounty Hunter and Smuggler and Trooper and Agent to own these massive strongholds, there needs to be some level of choice.

I'm just going to throw this out there, would there ever be any possibility of having maybe getting some of those old school armor sets, obviously in the form of cosmetic really, that we had from way back when? I never raided and there were so many really nice looking armor sets that they had. I wouldn't even be against a CM deal with these things. I remember I had one of the original first PvP armor sets back before any expansions and somewhere along the line I sold them, but somehow years after that was able to ask for the chest peice to be restored. I couldn't get the whole set restored which is fine my dumb mistake for selling it, but again why couldn't we get the ability to collect those sets?

When I say forcing, I don't mean players should be pulled in from other parts of the game. Do consider the discussion I had with Caisarabbit earlier in this thread, where I suggested that players with the purple story mission get PvP-immunity, the Operation be given a separate entrance point from Odessen or the Gravestone, and the Iokath Dailies be marked as red missions like the Gree Event dailies. With all of that done, Iokath could be converted into a place like Outlaw's Den where Ops group sized PvP is allowed. This wouldn't be forcing players to PvP, as they came on the planet by choice to progress an explicitly red mission, and the ones who came for other missions would be given backups like I said earlier.

The only people who get the short end of the stick here would be crafters.... I've heard Iokath is the only place giving the highest tier mats right now. That'd need a change.

No, making ALL the dailies red would also ruin Iokath for anyone who avoids PvP because they don't like it, aren't geared for, don't want to be hassled when they just want to grind some mobs for rep, or what have you.

If the above "forcing" isn't an option you'd like to consider, there are other ways. The ADDITION of objectives that directly relate to PvP could be the first. Not just "kill a player to get loot, that you can only use to kill more players". Give dead players a chance of dropping UCs, Command Crates and Warzone Crafting Lockboxes. Add certain missions that can only be progressed in the PvP instance. Maybe this option works better the previous one? Let PvErs progress all currentl existing dailies on the PvE instance, and let crafters craft, and story-goers do their story. ADD red missions that are only progressed in the PvP instance. In my opinion red missions worked out really well in the Gree Event dailies. Just having two of those missions makes the planet so much more active in OWPvP, the only downside is that it forces small groups on you. Simply adding red missions to the existing Iokath lineup will encourage OWPvP, while still allowing players to stay as far away from PvP as possible if they'd so like it.

Finally, consider moving the regions and the NPC density a bit. The way it is right now, Imps and Pubs are in separate Imp controlled and Pub controlled regions, even when they're inside the "Contested" area. The west half of the map has really dense concentrations of base-defender level Pub NPCs, and the east half has a really dense concentration of Imp defenders. Lowering the density, as well as forcing players to cross paths more will increase the chances of individual players meeting each other while also not getting by mobs that require a group takedown. Increased chance of meeting + increased chance of not-insta-kill -> increased chance of killing -> increased chance of loot drops -> more players come back to the PvP instance for loot drops.

I really do hope the dev team implements some of what I said, or implements SOMETHING that does a good job encouraging OWPvP. I love OWPvP a lot more than I like doing Warzones and Arenas, and I would really like it to make a comeback.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am aware that PvP already has rewards on Iokath. However:

1. It comes through killing for the sake of killing. Objective based PvP such as base conquest and turret control and superweapon access and whatnot will make the killing be a struggle towards a proper, real objective, instead of just killing for the sake of it.

2. It only rewards Iokath currency. Players want UCs, Command XP and crates, cosmetic gear, credits, and so much more.

But this strikes me as a great alternative. I don't want to be forced to choose between dealing with PvP or never setting foot on Iokath again, but I wholeheartedly support the folks who enjoy PvP being given greater incentives and more things to do, so I hope the devs listen to this part of your suggestions.

I disagree. Why should someone who raids and someone who doesn't but spends equally the amount of time and effort into the game doing different activities not have the right to get the highest gear possible. That is one thing I adore about Galactic Command, it made the highest gear in game accesible to all, even fhe casual players. I don't do raids, never liked it too much, but I do PvP daily. Why shouldn't I have the right to earn the same high level gear a hardcore raider does?

I totally agree but because PVP is a bit more guarenteed and all you have to do is put in a bit of time, I think PVE should be offered the same but but with the ability to upgrade.

Everyone gets to use GC.

PVP gets to buy exactly what they want and upgrade dependent on time when they can also win or lose, they get rewarded but many feel forced to PVE because of the possible faster track to an item. Thats broekn in both why and how long it takes PVPer to get gear or upgrade.

PVE gets nothing if they lose. They cannot upgrade through PVE except to hit harder and harder content with 7 or 15 random people that brings in more and more variables that can lead to a loss. Even if they win gear is up for grabs resulting in no guarantee of anything even for a win. Thats broken as well.

The gearing needs to be adjusted for both PVP and PVE currently and forcing either side onto areas that don't care for should be what BW is striving for. There should be ways for both to get gear doing the what they like, that isn't random and can work to upgrade what they have though UC's.

BW claims to not want to push people into PVP but that is exactly what they are doing with UC, Similar to some PVP'ers feel pushing into PVE for what they hope is a quicker payout vs the time in PVP.

That needs to be fixed on both sides.

There is no serious incentives to OWPVP. The Imp Rep armor looks good,but the Pub one is hideous. A suggestion might be good looking legacy gear and a OWPVP rating (much like rep is on Iokath) and specific OWPVP vendors. Another might be to have missions for "kill X players on Iokath" with rewards being unassembled components or for that matter cartel certs so the vendors can be used that are on fleet. Also do OWPVP kills grant CXP? If not why not? If so announce it and increase the amount,since players are a more difficult kill than champions. One of the best things I have seen in an MMO to encourage OWPVP was the GCW thing from SWG. Build phase (allowing players to build defenses that were PVE mobs and such) then attack/defend phase. Use tier 1 mats for it since they are severely underutilized and have no use in conquest and set up a specific area for it. Run it every two hours for build phase and alternate who is attacking and defending. Give specific rewards for it (we can call them Iokath War Tokens for sake of argument). Have rewards link to armors and weapons that are unique to this. Suggestions might be a sniping rifle that looks like some of the regular rifles with scopes on them (say the EE-1) or assault cannons that look like rifles (closer to Canderous Ordo's from KOTOR) or Light clubs (looks it up...it has the same mechanics as swinging a lightsaber), light shotos,etc. I.E. unique weapons that can be gotten nowhere else that people want for their look. With mortar volley being the only thing a cannon would be needed for on commando's,put a grenade launcher under a rifle. With range being 35m on snipers (lets face it gunslinger pistols have the same range and said range increase is no farther than that of a small child throwing a rock) a rifle looking sniper rifle might intrigue people.

Put up a contest where players show off their armor creations using existing armors and use the winners for each type (force and non or by class etc) are the armors given. This allows you to use reskins. It could end up with things like "Mandalorian sniper armor" or "Revanite Council armor" (from the old revanite mission on DK) or "Battlesage armor" or "Hitman Armor" (for those who get a little dark with their gunslingers) or "Reconnaissance commando armor" etc. Admittedly these are examples I came up with off the top of my head,however you all have players who love putting together new looks with stuff off the cartel market or mixing that stuff in with the crafted or various legacy armors. That is a usable asset.

For that matter put an obscenely high price on "Species Unlock: Wookie" (yes many star wars fans would play it,even though it doesnt speak basic) and give them something to push for. If you give the right incentive it can work. I cannot count how many jokes I have heard at fleet since launch talking about if they ever make Wookie playable someone is going to make a 'Sin or Shadow named Bigfoot or Sasquatch. Or people laughing their butts off at the idea of making a jawa Juggernaut name Utunii,even though the gear wouldnt size and they would always look like a jawa. For most casual gamers OWPVP is not its own reward. So give them some if you want it used.