Heal Spec Character + Tank Companion in DPS Gear = ?

Heezdedjim

Just wondering if anyone running a healing main spec has tried out the tanking companions in DPS rather than tank gear.

As a DPS (Infiltration) shadow, I liked Qyzen right up through 50, and still use him as my default companion for all solo PvE. I put him in full recruit Supercommando kit when I hit 50, and he now has a couple pieces of spare exotech and columi I picked up on raids. He seems to tank pretty much anything I want to solo just fine, and only rarely he may die just before some really nasty mob goes down.

As a heal spec scoundrel, I have been using Corso since the start and he works out very well. Now I'm debating whether to get the Supercommando or Eliminator set for him when I hit 50. He would still have the Supercommando shield on either way, but other than that it seems like DPS gear might make him kill a little faster. My usual style is just to stand around and heal him while he does all the work.

Tank companion in tank gear takes less damage therefore leaves you more time to do the DPSing yourself. The DPS potential of a healer player character is much greater than the damage potential of a tank companion.

As a side note, may I recommend a Sawbones/Dirty Fighting hybrid spec for a Scoundrel? has excellent healing, excellent damage and superb energy management.

• 1 month later...

Your idea's great for leveling, but once you have to do level 50 dailies I'd suggest putting your tank comp, in tank gear.

Khem for instance isn't bad when I stack strength, but doing Lights Out with Khem in dps gear is much harder than having him geared as a tank.