How do I know when to break CC?

Slamuel

Usually, I just break the first cc immediately, because I don't know better, as this is my first MMO. I have heard people say not to break it immediately, and that there is a certain time for it, so please help me. And this is for PvP.

In general, for PvP and PvE, don't break CC until everything else is dead. If the CC'd mob is the only mob left to kill, THEN you can attack it.

Mobs and players that get CC'd are usually the mobs that make life the most difficult for your group. ie Healers that keep you from killing other players, strong mobs that will pound you to death unless then entire group can focus on them, etc. So you NEVER want to break CC and let that mob make your groups life difficult or impossible. It's just one less mob/player to worry about. So why would you want to break CC and then make it something that you DO have to worry about?

In general, for PvP and PvE, don't break CC until everything else is dead. If the CC'd mob is the only mob left to kill, THEN you can attack it.

Mobs and players that get CC'd are usually the mobs that make life the most difficult for your group. ie Healers that keep you from killing other players, strong mobs that will pound you to death unless then entire group can focus on them, etc. So you NEVER want to break CC and let that mob make your groups life difficult or impossible. It's just one less mob/player to worry about. So why would you want to break CC and then make it something that you DO have to worry about?

Oh no, I know all about not breaking cc on players and mobs. I meant on myself.

In my opinion in PVP it is situational.

Personally, if it's one of the 4 second stun which does not break on damage, I will often use my CC breaker immediately, especially if I am not getting heals. If you're up against several enemies (or several rounds of single enemies) who will stun you twice, then you're going to be stunned for 4 sec either way you do it. This is why I usae it immediately instead of waiting for the second stun which will maybe come while my resolve is still high, or maybe not.

There are exceptions (mainly a lot of different situations in Huttball), but for me, most of the time is what I think works best.

A mezz on the other hand I will normally only break if my resolve is full.

Also some classes have shorter stuns, for example the concealment specced Operative's opener from stealth. You should normally never waste your CC breaker on these, because they are so short and will often be followed by the longer 4 second stun.

Use it everytime it make sense, but dont waste it.

By time in PVP ull learn enemy CC abilites and u will be abel to decide, when to use it.

Just small example. Lets take e.g. Juggernaut. Most of them using Force Choke followed by master strike. Last hit hurts, but CC timer is low enough, u can interrupt last hit of master strike by knockback or your cc. So not using. Then somewhere during fight he will use AOE CC with 4sec? duration. Time to break, cause he can do whatever he wants with you at that time.

This was example of solo fight

Its getting more complicated during bigger fights. Therese most of the time the best solution wait, until resolve bar is full. But also depends on the situation. No meaning to wait for full resolve bar, when ur taking so much damage, that ure about to die and cant pop e.g. defense buff or need to kite, cloak, whatever.

Get familiar with what Resolve means. I believe there is a good guide stickied in the pvp forums that explains resolve.

I like to show my name above my head in PvP and click on the option in preference that says "Always show resolve bar" A good rule of thumb, don't break cc unless:

1. someone is capping a node, planting a bomb in voidstar, or are stunned over the fire in huttball

or

2. your resolve bar is full, which means you are immune to any stunned cc for a few seconds (this does not include any type of snare, you are still vulnerable to snares, as snares do not have an impact on resolve)

You will learn that, "don't white bar 'em" means dont fill their resolve bar, which is usually said in huttball. Also learn to know how much of someone's resolve bar is filled when you stun them. As an operative, usually 2 stuns fills someone resolve bar. I know an assassin/sorc knockback fills someones resolve to 3/4.