PvP changes coming in July

Alec_Fortescue

I like them.

- X faction warzones (most if not all). bb sync q and long queue times and huttball/yavin/odessen 24/7.

- several new arenas

- new huttball map ( I hate huttball...)

- Stronghold designed with PvP in mind so players can make their own custom battles and obstacles.

- unranked matchmaking - no more healer stacks vs no healers

- warzone selection !!!!

- They're promising to address cheaters but i doubt they will deliver..

I want class changes, tho.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I'd expect class changes in 6.0 rather than 5.10 - it's just the kind of thing that usually gets put in expansions.

I must say I'm rather skeptical about PvP strongholds; I have a feeling they're going to be 90% cheese, 10% interesting setups, and I'm not exactly optimistic about their performance either. We'll see what happens though.

who knows about BW's execution but in terms of what they're *trying* to do here I think this roadmap is about as good as could be realistically expected

taking swings at cross faction everything, some sort of matchmaking for warzones, and ranked exploiting are some of the stuff I and many others on this board have complained about endlessly and it seems that Keith listened

I'd expect class changes in 6.0 rather than 5.10 - it's just the kind of thing that usually gets put in expansions.

I must say I'm rather skeptical about PvP strongholds; I have a feeling they're going to be 90% cheese, 10% interesting setups, and I'm not exactly optimistic about their performance either. We'll see what happens though.

PVP strongholds are a clever concept. They will cater to people who likes to decorate strongholds, and they will probably be quite popular for the player run tournaments. Once done, it will be a self sustaining system and BW doesn't have to spend too much time on it.

As for the remaining changes, the only really interesting part is cross faction queues. There is no mention of redefining the ELO system, nothing specific about cheater/exploiters and nothing about unbalanced starting matches. I am trying to be positive, but I am a bit underwhelmed. Oh well, we shall see.

who knows about BW's execution but in terms of what they're *trying* to do here I think this roadmap is about as good as could be realistically expected

taking swings at cross faction everything, some sort of matchmaking for warzones, and ranked exploiting are some of the stuff I and many others on this board have complained about endlessly and it seems that Keith listened

I agree, I like the direction they're going but it could turn into an 18-24 month festival of bugs and glitches. I have some hope that it will turn out good though.

As for the remaining changes, the only really interesting part is cross faction queues. There is no mention of redefining the ELO system, nothing specific about cheater/exploiters and nothing about unbalanced starting matches. I am trying to be positive, but I am a bit underwhelmed. Oh well, we shall see.

Well, there is probably so much going into the mentioned changes that they will need to wait and see how it works out before they can decide whether or not they need to address or how exactly they need change the things you mentioned.

I like them.

- X faction warzones (most if not all). bb sync q and long queue times and huttball/yavin/odessen 24/7.

- several new arenas

- new huttball map ( I hate huttball...)

- Stronghold designed with PvP in mind so players can make their own custom battles and obstacles.

- unranked matchmaking - no more healer stacks vs no healers

- warzone selection !!!!

- They're promising to address cheaters but i doubt they will deliver..

I want class changes, tho.

I thought you were joking, but no!

:eek: Holy s**t :eek: /faint

I hope that you can skip all these "new arenas" though... :rolleyes:

sure glad they aren't wasting their time on things that aren't needed like....CLASS BALANCE...

Gotten back into some WZs of late and they are just as God awful as when I got disgusted and stopped a few months ago...

You're always going to lose to someone.

Sitting in queues even longer then we do now waiting for teams to be synced like for like is going to kill PVP completely. Make no mistake about it, the population is nowhere near big enough to support this. Imagine the APAC players at night waiting in eternal queues because only 20 active PVPers are on and there are only 1 healer or tank etc in queue much like solo ranked usually is. This change is a couple of years too late and potentially game breaking for people who only play this game to PVP.

Cross faction is also terrible. I left pub side for a reason. Not that Imps are much better these days but at least we have a choice of the level of bad we get stuck with? Everyone by now has picked a faction to main so let us live with one of the few choices in this game that matters. Also what would be the point of having mirror classes on both factions if all you do in this game is PVP? I guess the next move is to merge the fleets because what the actual **** is the point of factions any more after this change?

Warzone selection is also a terrible idea for a low population game with a tiny active PVP community.

I think it won't be long for people to realize that what they're asking for with this is a terrible idea the longer their queues get. Ideally a world without Huttballs and OPG sounds nice but not at the cost of longer queue times (especially in addition to "match making").

For the love of God just re balance the classes, there is no need for such massive changes and these solutions to problems that don't exist.

Please apply common sense and don't give in to a vocal minority.

Edited by Chiters

I thought you were joking, but no!

:eek: Holy s**t :eek: /faint

I hope that you can skip all these "new arenas" though... :rolleyes:

I can only see one new Arena being announced.

We’re adding a new Arena set in a compound you’ve seen before

Player versus Player

Starting with a Game Update in early July and continuing through September, we’ll provide a variety of changes for some of our most passionate players who love PvP. PVP is enjoyed by many players, so the team wanted to give this group a bit of focused development time to provide requested changes and new challenges.

Here’s the list of improvements we are planning:

PvP over the Summer:

Convert more, if not all, of our Warzones and Arenas to allow cross-faction grouping.

We’re adding a new Arena set in a compound you’ve seen before.

We’re developing a new Huttball Warzone set in the dangerous and dizzying heights of an industrial planet.

Deliver a new Stronghold with a beach-front view! Now, you ask, what does that have to do with PvP? In fact, quite a bit:

For the first time, we are introducing a Stronghold designed around PvP which can be tailored toward Player-driven dueling, 4v4, or even 8v8 battles! We know there’s a passionate audience of PvP players who run their own dueling tournaments within their Strongholds, so we want to support that by making some under-the-hood improvements and by tailoring the spaces to support different styles of play.

As with all Strongholds, you can decorate it anyway you like, but we’re also enhancing Stronghold decorations to support PvP gameplay. This means you can use decorations to hide behind, layout obstacles, which allows the owner of the Stronghold to create a huge variety of custom PvP layouts to use in battles amongst friends.

End of Season 9! Right now, we’re scheduling this for July and will let everyone know the rewards in late June.

We’re investigating ways of improving the experience of all Warzones.

We’re taking an in-depth look at our unranked PvP matchmaking system overall to see what kinds of improvements we can make to better ensure every match is a good one.

We’re also exploring giving unranked players more queue control over which Warzones and Arenas they want to play.

We’ll be focusing attention on exploiters, cheaters, and adjusting how Ranked Warzones complete. This will be an on-going effort, but like all of you, we want Warzones and Arenas to be fair, competitive, and fun.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Maybe a bit late but great news nevertheless :) seems they might want to keep the game running if willing to consider proposed changes. So very happy to see the plans they have. Hopefully rewards will be decent and new season will be cheat free in Rankeds.

Person that said the community is too small to support matchmaking:

It doesn’t have to rely on population as suggested before as it would only take into consideration players in que at a given time and attempt matchmaking. Means that if 2 healers que they get split to different teams if only 1 healer in que then only team gets lucky. There is more to it but as small change as this would improve matches without any slow down in pops.

Similar with the choice where they could simply do as it is in GW2 where after pop you get 3 maps and vote for which one you prefer. This could be applied to swtor, wouldn’t be 100% choice of wz but would be improvement on current randomness. Alternatively they could make one choose to que for arena or standard wz which would also make a difference for some.

Edited by MackPol

You misspelled Quesh huttball.

I just hope they design the new warzones with NO grass, less lag-inducing factors.

The old huttball is 5X better than the new because of less lag and higher difficulty of scoring.

They need to make the new huttball more styled after the first huttball map. Quesh is AWFUL.

Edited by Lhancelot

That is something I never expected to see in SWTOR, given how long the lack of matchmaking has been a frequent player complaint. Great news.

I would be cautiously optimistic about this. Yes, it's a great direction for them go in, but like all things, it will depend on how well it's implemented. I'm excited about the possibilities here, and I truly hope they get it right, but I also don't want to set myself up for disappointment if it ends up being a train wreck.