Are you playing ONLY because it is Star Wars?

EllieAnne

If this were a generic MMORPG would you have been gone by now?

For me, yes. This was my significant other's first MMORPG and only agreed to play because it is Star Wars. So I am still here for no other reason for us to play together, So put me down as only here because it is a Star Wars game. If there were a Marvel MMORPG we'd be gone in a second.

Because Star Wars, plus the fabulously strong story. If Everquest 2 had not gone totally stupid end-game with its gear grind (it was only moderately stupid at lower levels), and also possessed as strong of a story for each class like SWTOR, I'm not sure that I would have dived headlong into SWTOR. Now, with the years of investment that I've made in the game, I'm here for the duration. Edited by xordevoreaux

Star Wars might factor in, but mainly just sunk cost fallacy. I've spent more in this MMORPG in terms of time not just money. I just keep stacking more time into this game, adding on to the existing hours spent. Edited by Falensawino

I am playing for the story!

I love biowares style of storytelling. Couldn't care less that the games an MMO. If it was an ongoing singleplayer game with story being added to it for years I'd play that instead. No one does story and characters like them.

Dissapointed story updates have been so far apart the past few years though. Game gets my monthly sub but none of the extras I used to buy because I don't often have a reason to login and play anymore.

Edited by Suzsi

For me, yes. This was my significant other's first MMORPG and only agreed to play because it is Star Wars. So I am still here for no other reason for us to play together, So put me down as only here because it is a Star Wars game. If there were a Marvel MMORPG we'd be gone in a second.

Ahah, lightsaber goes vrrrt

I'm mainly here for Star Wars, RP purposes, and sometimes I still enjoy stomping players in PvP, when it procs. Apart from that I've got everything I need PvE-wise, story-wise and content wise in another MMO. So I'm just hanging here for the memes and the fact that I like talking to everybody here. Forums is 50% of why I pay this sub tbh. If I wanted to joke about it, the true endgame would be to be quoted by a developper.

Edited by supertimtaf

I´m playing because I like Sci-Fi, Biowares storytelling and romance.

I mean in which other game can you date Khem?? Or tell him to eat someone :)

(I have to admit that I´m not a big Star Wars fan - it´s ok I guess.)

The answer is yes for me too.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is what I have in game, I put a lot of effort in to building it up. I've tried starting other MMO's, but it's just not the same. It was the fact that it was Star Wars that got me started, and kept me interested while building up. I'm just not sure anymore if it's enough to keep me coming back in the future. Only time will tell /shrug

Star Wars was, more or less, why I caved and gave this game a try when my brother asked me to come play it with him and his girlfriend.

They're long gone, I'm still here.. but honestly this game has never felt like Star Wars to me, and so these kinds of questions (and most of the responses) sound weird to me.

Maybe it's because I'd never been into anything besides the movies--that is, before kotor, but while I loved that game, it also didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Lightsabers.. Force.. but.. they were nothing like the movies that I grew up with, the entire approach is so radically different, it's like comparing the wild west with the zombie apocalypse because they both happen to take place on the same planet.

Space Barbie and classes/specs that allow me to feel awesome while fighting stuff are why I'm still here.

I mean, part of it's because it's Star Wars, but really this is just a game I love -- between the universe, the roleplay, and almost a decade of memories, I'm just attached to this MMO in ways that I'm not (and likely never will be) with others.

I, for one, am still plenty happy with the game, and I do wonder why some folks keep playing if they feel so miserable about it.

Nope. Took a lot of my guildmates, back in the day, by complete surprise to learn that I'm not a really big Star Wars fan. I had played this game for two years before I played either KotoR game.

I came because I was, and still am, mostly, a fan of BioWare. They hooked me with Baldur's Gate, and set the hook well with Neverwinter Nights.

"Are you playing ONLY because it is Star Wars?"

One of the main reasons I play is because it works on my non-gaming computer with low end integrated graphics. Most MMOs won't even work on my computer, but SWTOR does because it hasn't really been upgraded graphics-wise since launch.

No, I also play it because I like the voice acting, the storylines that aren't so difficult that I have to replay them over and over, and the romances. I can't get all of this with any other MMO that I know about. That said, it would be nice if this game had more 21st century QoL features like auto-looting and open-tapping. Even LOTRO, which is also an old game, has auto-looting and open-tapping. Edited by Gilrenna

In short that is exactly why I'm still here. I'm here because I RP in the Star Wars Universe. The story is good but Bioware drops the ball every time they need to conclude a story and have the most absurd ends for characters. It's so bad that it inspires me to make RP that doesn't end horribly or make 0 sense to the lore. The content I enjoy but there's not nearly enough new content produced to keep me if not for my primary reason to play the game, RP.

Star Wars is a big part of it... though not all.

Even though I just "re-upped" (for another 6 months) ... I'm putting things in a bit of a different light here lately.

Star Wars is 100% the only reason I play this now.

I stayed with SWG start to finish. Came here because they had the IP and I need my MMO/Lightsaber fix.

I'm not some kind of EA hater ....I played beta, bought the CE, bought the razer periphials, have been subbed since launch, thought it had such great potential I bought EA shares and held them for years until I felt EA was no longer investing in the product and just recycling the same story with every member of Valkorians family getting a chance as the antagonist. It got old.

Eagerly looking forward to what fresh ideas the next SW sandbox will bring. Until then, I'll stick around for the Snap-Hiss >vroosh>vroosh<

Aside from obvious reasons of already having put too much time and money into it :

I was never a fan of Star Wars to begin with, however i was a fan of the stories in Kotor 1 and 2 just because of the way Bioware makes RPGs/games, so that's why i started playing this. So Bioware made me a fan of this particular part of SW that Kotor and SWTOR exist in(Old Republic). Still not a fan of the movies and anything post Ruusan Reformation, though admittedly these games made me like them more than before.

So for me i started to like Star Wars ONLY because i play the games Bioware made about it.

+ i actually like the graphics and the sounds of the game. The impact of abilities is satisfying. Also i actually like the gameplay mechanics.

With all that said, it's a silly question because the setting plays a big part of every movie/book/game, especially in a RPG, so if a person plays the game JUST because it is Star Wars, it's not a negative thing for the game.

You can construct the same type of question for just about every game out there.

Edited by Kaedusz

As a long term gamer of many mmos both fantasy & sci-fi I can honestly say swtor stands out for it's unique stories & diversity of cultures across the galaxy. The creativity that it took to bring all this together is pure genius. Not only that but the sprinkle of comedy with dark is brilliant. At first I played because it is sci-fi and Star Wars title, but I discovered so much more! The struggle for peace with the burning ember of hope drives all of us everyday to get out of bed in the morning. Swtor embraces that at as it's core bringing all these wonderfully imagined people together in hope of galactic peace.

I really really hope they extend the contract for my favorite mmo of all time to continue forward with development. This great community of long time fans/friends/family deserve nothing less. May the force be with you....always.

It being Star Wars is a big part, but more specifically that it's the Legends/Old Republic era. I might not be as engaged or even interested if it was the new canon. I love that it has mature themes making the world more "realistic" (politics, social problems, drug use, mental health issues etc.). Some might argue that that makes it less "Star Wars", but whatever. I love the Star Wars universe, but am strangely enough not a big fan of the movies.

Plus it has the typical Bioware storytelling. I'd probably play it if it was a Dragon Age or Mass Effect mmo, too, but not if it was just a generic mmo. As an mmo-player since the late 90s, I am done with this genre. I play this for the story, not the grind.