tanks in DPS gear make pvp objectively more fun

yellow_

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for your thoughtful (and accurate) response

but to be honest I've posted this mostly to be cheeky -- you can't reason with the people on this board

^

You can type anything that has meaningful value to a discussion or disagreement, but it will immediately get shut down by the essay-writing keyboard warriors and fanboys who seem to only read the words "grow a pair" out of a post and then be ignorant. At this point I'm done looking at forums besides Dev tracker posts. Let them spec however they want to spec their precious tanks. Just waiting till they go into solos or group ranked and get laughed for being full absorption tank with less than 115k health :D

Edited by LanternsUnite

No one in PvP who knows what they are doing, wears tank gear anymore. It nerfs your DPS too much and you add less effective to your team.

Of course.

The term skank tank has become synonymous with tanks wearing dps gear. It may not be the correct label but the culture of players label it that nowadays. I get labeled in ops and fps all the time as someone who is skanking cause I wear dps gear as a tank spec. You said he wasn't skank tanking , but some call tank in dps gear skank tanking, even if it may not be the correct terminology. Thats the only reason why I brought it up. Thanks for clarifying.

^

Just waiting till they go into solos or group ranked and get laughed for being full absorption tank with less than 115k health :D

1. Solo isnt made for full geared pvp tanks.

2. Ranked 4s is just fine with a full geared tank guardian. It depends on the dps swap and what your facing. End of day skill and experence wins, skank tanks is meta atm but it can lose.

3. Just cause some has success with it, dont mean everyone is king of the mountain top.

Noodles.

Edited by Caeliuxrules

Of course.

The term skank tank has become synonymous with tanks wearing dps gear. It may not be the correct label but the culture of players label it that nowadays. I get labeled in ops and fps all the time as someone who is skanking cause I wear dps gear as a tank spec. You said he wasn't skank tanking , but some call tank in dps gear skank tanking, even if it may not be the correct terminology. Thats the only reason why I brought it up. Thanks for clarifying.

I always thought a tank in dps gear was a shank tank, while a dps running tank stance with guard was a skank tank. But the current trend seems to be to squish both together as "skank tanks" and condemn the entire situation as unbalanced. I'll let the devs worry about balance, since apparently we don't have enough information at our fingertips to address it. If they ever make tank stats relevant in PVP, I'll gear for it. Until then, I'll continue to run a (my term, I guess) shank tank, a defense guardian in DPS gear, praying for a healer and killing everything that I can.

I always thought a tank in dps gear was a shank tank, while a dps running tank stance with guard was a skank tank. But the current trend seems to be to squish both together as "skank tanks" and condemn the entire situation as unbalanced.

Tank in dps gear is a skank tank.

Dps acting like a tank is called a disgrace.

Both should not be able to do tanking without tank gear and restrictions.

Reason its so popular is cause everyone is doing it. Just like spinners, or any other phase epidemic of band wagon humans trying to recopy a event.

Its all fluff damage and nothing important.

This right here is why people like you and others make complete utter post of nonsense. Its laughable.

Dps focus swap , cc, is DAMAGE.

Tank guard swaps, taunt, cc, PROTECTS.

Healer HEALS.

Tank should never worry about a kill. Ever. That is what a dps job is. Not a dps tank. Not a tank dps. Both of them are irelevent specs which bioware allows people to abuse atm.

^ All this.

Tank in dps gear is a skank tank.

Dps acting like a tank is called a disgrace.

Both should not be able to do tanking without tank gear and restrictions.

Reason its so popular is cause everyone is doing it. Just like spinners, or any other phase epidemic of band wagon humans trying to recopy a event.

Its all fluff damage and nothing important.

I don't put out fluff damage. Chilling scream spam is a nice trick, but it's fairly meaningless compared to the significant burst a defense guardian can put out when geared correctly. I can make the difference in taking down a key target, or saving a team member, whichever is called for at the moment. I don't care much for philosophical discussions about "pure" tanking, or "pure" DPS. I will use what works until the meta changes. And besides that, I truly doubt that higher TTK via lower overall team DPS and increased team mitigation would make PVP more interesting.

First time I heard the phrase scank tank was city of heroes.

Tank was a class, the melee dps class was scrapers. A tank built for dps was a scank tank, or skank tank. In any other game the phrase would be repetitive skank = dps tank, tank....basically it was a scrapper like tank.

Anyway with two out of three tank class' dps pure builds lacking in defenses it only makes sense, combined with tank stats not working well.....heck they are all but forcing you down this road.

Skank tank = tank spec with DPS gear obviously. A DPS spec that randomly throws guard on people does not magically become a tank :D

No kidding. Lol I tried it years ago with a jug, switched stance and tried to protect my boy. My hp went down so fast my jug got whip lash. Got toasted..

Why it baffles me, why in the world would you even play a wannabe tank? Tank dps I understand but a dps acting like a tank...

Edited by Caeliuxrules

No kidding. Lol I tried it years ago with a jug, switched stance and tried to protect my boy. My hp went down so fast my jug got whip lash. Got toasted..

Why it baffles me, why in the world would you even play a wannabe tank? Tank dps I understand but a dps acting like a tank...

You seem upset with how this game works mechanically.

I remember trolling ppl in 4.0 on my hatred sin, he had a shield, and thx to easy peasy expertise mods had 30%defence rating and 30%shield rating.... the shield came with its own absorb. it was fun.... inadquate, but rather hilarious.

Again for the Stupid which alot people tanks are called TANKS for reason, there ment to mitigated damage for the group and and be meat shield, that and the stats work fine in pvp , and are royal pain in the butt to take down when played RIGHT. and I will to bet that if the made tank stats not get ignored by crits they would be almost impossible to take down, if they was ment to DPS and be DPS machines they wouldn't be called tanks now would they?

And i complain about the fact there is to much role overlapping in this game and one many reason pvp balance funny at best.

Tank skills need to be locked to tank spec, heal skills need to locked to heal spec, not talking about DCD that heal here only after that happen can they begin to fix balance in pvp which still wont happen without killing pve without pve and pvp balance being kept separate with separate mechanics.

It almost like people like that is broke, yet will complain about it being broke but will have none of the things that should be done in first place to mitigate the problems. cause then they cant use what is broke to there advantage.

Edited by Kyuuu

I use it with my "I'm still leveling and in midbies at the moment" DPS sin & shadow. It's situational (like everything else in PvP - imagine that!). I've played a tank for a long time, so yes, I learned fast that I am no longer a tank. But it's still 2 HP pools the red guys have to go through. In cases where, for example, I'm racing to help the off node - she's being attacked by someone and losing (or winning, I guess), I'll toss on guard and taunts on my way in to help. More often than not, both of us survive. Or a 2v2 at a node - assuming the same DPS output, and both sides are focusing - well, we kill one and they now have 1/2 the DPS output and meanwhile they've killed 1/2 of both of us - so we still have "full" DPS. I think the math is in our favor there.

But in big melees, not so much. There's just too much damage coming out if the other side is focusing. And if they are not, then why bother? :p

I guess I think of it like everything else. It's a tool I have. Even if I don't use it much, when the case comes around where that's EXACTLY the tool I need, boy am I glad to have it. :D

I guess I think of it like everything else. It's a tool I have. Even if I don't use it much, when the case comes around where that's EXACTLY the tool I need, boy am I glad to have it. :D

Think that is normal and why you see such a influx of skank tanks running around. It works and provides tanking but most important for the player playing it, damage and fun.

I am not against people having fun, I am against people that love inbalanced classes and think everything is ok when its not.

Just cause the koolaid is tasty, dont make the water healthy.. 😉

Edited by Caeliuxrules