Renown Crates Are Worthless

Korithras

It's all in the title. Command Caches if they didn't provide upgrades at least provided other things like pieces of armor sets you could use for transmogging or sell on the GTN, scrap, mounts/pets, and companion gifts. Even if the gear was worthless, at least you had a better chance of getting something somewhat useful.

Aside from maybe the first five levels of renown? The crates have been useless since. To the point where I haven't even bothered to look at what I get, I just open the box and disintegrate whatever's inside to get the box out of my inventory to keep it from taking up space. I can get better upgrades from warzone/GSF boxes or just farming a flashpoint like Traitor Among the Chiss on solo mode for decorations.

Don't take a lesson from the Anthem team on loot, just stick to how things were with command crates. It was a better system.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty rare to get something useful, but it is still free gear. Don't disintegrate, claim it and dismantle from your inventory, this way you will get tech fragments out of it.

I'm not having a problem acquiring tech fragments from the aforementioned means of pvp and solo flashpoints. If anything I run into difficulty finding things to spend them on.

I'm not having a problem acquiring tech fragments from the aforementioned means of pvp and solo flashpoints. If anything I run into difficulty finding things to spend them on.

LOL really? Each pieсe of set bonus gear costs 3k TF. You need 6 for full bonus. Are you trying to tell me you are not interested in that, or are you hoping to get it via drrops?

Edited by Gelious

LOL really? Each pieсe of set bonus gear costs 3k TF. You need 6 for full bonus. Are you trying to tell me you are not interested in that, or are you hoping to get it via drrops?

The sets are not even IR 306. There's no point. I've been at 5k fragments for a week now.

You want to know why they gave us a 5k max limit? Because they know they are worthless. They knew people would stack stacks 10m fragments deep.

The sets are not even IR 306. There's no point. .

It seems to me that you do not understand how our new gearing system works.

Yes. the sets are, in fact. empty. The time where you could just go to vendor and get a set bonus piece with correct level mods in them is now behind us, sadly.

What you are supposed to do now is to buy empty shell, get your character to 306 IR. then fill the shell with mods from drops or random mods from vendor.

If you dont want to do this (I am not in a terrible hurry to do that either), then yes. there is no point to anything.

Most of the set bonus gear I've gotten have been from the renown crates. Or conquest crates. One of those.

I have no idea how conquest crates work because I am currently done with guilds and conquests, so I haven't received anything besides personal reward. but renown crates? You'd have to be lucky to receive a set bonus gear to begin with, and then its the question of having 5 more pieces and having the bonus you actually want...

It seems to me that you do not understand how our new gearing system works.

Yes. the sets are, in fact. empty. The time where you could just go to vendor and get a set bonus piece with correct level mods in them is now behind us, sadly.

What you are supposed to do now is to buy empty shell, get your character to 306 IR. then fill the shell with mods from drops or random mods from vendor.

If you dont want to do this (I am not in a terrible hurry to do that either), then yes. there is no point to anything.

This.

Please don't sit on your fragments, they are the most valuable currency in the game right now. Some classes have amazing sets/tacticals which make them so much better. Especially if you are playing more than one class, you will need every fragment you can get for now.

I agree - they are just deconstruct fodder.

So far, I've gotten no class specific items from renown crates. The best I've gotten are moddular items with a decent mod or enhancement.

Conquest and other personal reward boxes have also been mostly trash - I get either generic sets (like the set that boosts stats when you are half dead) or sets for the wrong discipline.

As a non-healer with no characters set to healing loot spec, I have gotten one full sorc / sage healer set, part of another, and part of a merc healer set.

Impressed with the system I am not.

Edited by DawnAskham

I have no idea how conquest crates work because I am currently done with guilds and conquests, so I haven't received anything besides personal reward. but renown crates? You'd have to be lucky to receive a set bonus gear to begin with, and then its the question of having 5 more pieces and having the bonus you actually want...

You are missing out big time on Guild Conquest rewards. When your Guild makes Conquest, all of your toons in that guild that made Conquest get a reward. That reward ALWAYS contains a set bonus piece and credits. The set bonus piece might not work for your current character, but it is Legacy Bound. So you can throw it in your Legacy bank for another toon or Deconstruct it for Tech Frags or just disintegrate it for a bunch of Renown points.

You are missing out big time on Guild Conquest rewards. When your Guild makes Conquest, all of your toons in that guild that made Conquest get a reward. That reward ALWAYS contains a set bonus piece and credits. The set bonus piece might not work for your current character, but it is Legacy Bound. So you can throw it in your Legacy bank for another toon or Deconstruct it for Tech Frags or just disintegrate it for a bunch of Renown points.

This is such a dumb system - and I say that as someone who has put my characters who will cap conquest into large conquest guilds.

I mean why does simply being in a large guild convey extra gear (the large box for large guilds has multiple set items), extra materials used for any useful current crafting, and extra credits.

If you aren't in a guild at all - you are losing out on a lot. If you are in a small guild with friends and family - you may be missing out on a lot, or just not getting as much as others (such as my alts) that happen to be in a large guild, even though you may have racked up more conquest points.

IMO conquest rewards for gear and mats and credits and such should be tied to individual conquest results - make it tiered like 50K small box, 100K medium box, 200K large box.

Let large conquest guilds earn guild perks and unlocks and levels faster - but don't provide characters with boxes of extra loot just because they are in a large guild.

Edited by DawnAskham

From what I've seen so far Renown Crates can drop pretty much anything but useful stuff has very low chance. Conquest crates drop some general or class specific but not very useful set bonuses (almost completed Dire Retaliation and Empowered Restorer by opening conquest crates).

Most of it goes to the grinder for tech fragments which in turn are used to buy useful class specific bonuses and tacticals.

What I'm really missing from Renown Crates are reputation trophies. Hoped to get Mobile Fleet reputation to max at some point but I don't like those on-rail missions...

Not everyone is member of a guild being able to get those rewards. Since it has been raised to 500.000, it is unreachable for my guild. The 170.000 before have been easier.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

I am not in any guild though and since now I barely do anything in the game except getting my many various alts up on the story I just dont see a point in joining conquest guilds:) Probably should have joined a guild BEFORE I grinded my 306 IR, but oh well....

Edited by Gelious

This is such a dumb system - and I say that as someone who has put my characters who will cap conquest into large conquest guilds.

I mean why does simply being in a large guild convey extra gear (the large box for large guilds has multiple set items), extra materials used for any useful current crafting, and extra credits.

If you aren't in a guild at all - you are losing out on a lot. If you are in a small guild with friends and family - you may be missing out on a lot, or just not getting as much as others (such as my alts) that happen to be in a large guild, even though you may have racked up more conquest points.

IMO conquest rewards for gear and mats and credits and such should be tied to individual conquest results - make it tiered like 50K small box, 100K medium box, 200K large box.

Let large conquest guilds earn guild perks and unlocks and levels faster - but don't provide characters with boxes of extra loot just because they are in a large guild.

Technically it's not tied to guilds, but instead to planet size.

However, I know what you're saying, and I agree.

It's not like the random ppl in a guild actually do anything different for Small vs. Large guilds (are flagship unlock costs different?)

Warframe has a nice system where everything is scaled according to guild size. So it can still be advantageous somewhat to be in a large guild, but the differences are not very stark. For example, why not offer the EXACT SAME REWARDS to every guild that completes their planetary target?

The difference would be that certain planet sizes would require guilds of a certain size. Only small guilds could compete for small planets. However, upon reaching the goal, they would be rewarded exactly the same as a large guild that completes the large planet.

Of course, there should still be an incentive to being in a larger guild, since I think it's good for the health of the game. However, this incentive could merely be related to the relative ease of completing conquest. For example, a small guild with a maximum of 10 members (the system would track legacies so alts wouldn't count towards this total) would need all 10 to reach their 50,000 target. Or 5 would have to do 100,000.

A large guild with 100 members would only need each member to complete 30,000 points (or 60 members doing 50,000). However, at the end, everyone would be rewarded equally when it comes to mats, boxes, etc.

Yeah renown caches are pretty boring. No cool random loot, i was hoping for some nice new empty shells for cosmetics and comp gifts.

And sometimes renown boxes... dont have anything in them?? I've had about 8 renown boxes out of 50 containing just no loot whatsoever. I open it, and it greys out all buttons in the renown stash looking like it bugged out- close it and reopen: still no loot anywhere, but the box is gone. Wth.

This.

Please don't sit on your fragments, they are the most valuable currency in the game right now. Some classes have amazing sets/tacticals which make them so much better. Especially if you are playing more than one class, you will need every fragment you can get for now.

REally? I can sell frags or the items I get with frags?

If you aren't in a guild at all - you are losing out on a lot. If you are in a small guild with friends and family - you may be missing out on a lot, or just not getting as much as others (such as my alts) that happen to be in a large guild, even though you may have racked up more conquest points..

Best solution is to have characters in several guilds. - 1 for friends and family 1 or 2 for conquest and maybe one for best.

Most weeks, 50K isn't too much of a mountain to climb, and a lot of guilds don't stipulate that you have to make a certain target every week and always be available for guild activities. - A lot of large guilds are just 100s of players doing their own thing to benefit from the bigger rewards.

Not saying this is right, but this is the META currently.

Now that most gear and credits and mats and currencies are shareable within your legacy, having several characters in several guilds is the way to go.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

• 3 months later...

*Sorry for bringing back up this old thread but I feel it's often better to use previous knowledge for context instead of creating a million new threads.*

Anyway, my question is simple: if I receive a renown crate when my Gear Rating is 260, and I keep it aside and only open it when I am around 300, will I get 300+ rating content, or is it locked to the rating I had when I received the crate?

Point of the question is that I am not in a hurry to open lots of crates now when I am still looting plenty of things from flashpoints, and I'd prefer to keep them for when I am closer to the cap to open a bunch all at once to get higher value per crate instead of the now useless 260 green stuff. Would it work?

This is a great post. It is ridiculous that guild size actually influences gear drops.

BW seems to have done everything they can to discourage people from being in smaller guilds. I wonder why?

[...]

Anyway, my question is simple: if I receive a renown crate when my Gear Rating is 260, and I keep it aside and only open it when I am around 300, will I get 300+ rating content, or is it locked to the rating I had when I received the crate?[...]

not only does it default to 300+, but if you change or remove your gear, it'll reflect that too.... a major PITA when you forget to take off crafting gear before opening crates...

also mod gear in your renown stash (after opening the crate) will roll it's item rating when you remove it, based on your current item rating

• 1 year later...

Returning player that used to be in a Raid Guild and PVP but NO ONE IS ON ANYMORE!

Do not feel like starting over so what happens?

Work my tail off to get to 66 and I get a crate I can not open, most stupid idea ever created on Earth!

I worked all that much for what? Something I can not use and open.

Tell me who is the moron that got this really stupid idea?

So looked up chapter and of course they design it for PROFESSIONALS that played game for YEARS!

Could you be more stupid to returning players? Really what is the goal to just ruin the game for them?

*Sorry for bringing back up this old thread but I feel it's often better to use previous knowledge for context instead of creating a million new threads.*

Anyway, my question is simple: if I receive a renown crate when my Gear Rating is 260, and I keep it aside and only open it when I am around 300, will I get 300+ rating content, or is it locked to the rating I had when I received the crate?

Point of the question is that I am not in a hurry to open lots of crates now when I am still looting plenty of things from flashpoints, and I'd prefer to keep them for when I am closer to the cap to open a bunch all at once to get higher value per crate instead of the now useless 260 green stuff. Would it work?

As far as I know....

What is in the crate is determined when you open it, but the item rating is set when you received the crate.

So No, if you keep a crate with a gear rating of 260, it will not become 300 when you open it. It will still be 260 rating.

Trying to watch your gear rating and manually updating gear is not really needed anymore. Whenever you receive an armor piece or weapon - as loot - that has a green up arrow on it, equip it (replacing your currently equipped item) irrespective of the stats on it and your Discipline. Keep doing this till your character level reaches 75 and your iRating (shown on your character screen at top left) crosses 302-304. Putting those things on will increase your iRating which then determines the iRating of the gear you get as loot and so on. Upward spiral.

MMOBits, SWTORista, and Vulkk have detailed gearing guides. You can read them up to know how to gear up at level 75 and from 302 to 306. If you want to get set bonus gear (for the purposes of doing harder group content like Operations,) you might want to read up on the Discipline-specific guides at Vulkk or Merlyn and pick your set names before you reach 75.

Renown Crates are not like Command Crates; these crates are not the first or even the second best source of gear.

On that different strand in this thread: Void_Singer is right in my experience.

Edited by mike_carton