Why was the DvsL event a one time thing only?

Stradlin

I'm speaking of this thing:

http://dulfy.net/2016/06/28/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-checklist/

In DvsL event, II think they almost had it. It felt like two steps away from being a pretty novel take on delivering rather low cost long term content for an MMO. Even first time around, the whole event basically offered all the bells and whistles seasonal content in Diablo 3 has. Little more polish and thought and DvsL could be seen as the " end game" , or as an interesting alternative to the end game. It shouldn't be something that happened three years back. It should be something that just launched its season 5 or something.

.Apparently, it was only used to promote the current DvsL bacground sim that literally nobody cares about at all. Its like using a ferrari to promote the nice light that goes on when opening the glovebox.

Edited by Stradlin

In DvsL event, II think they almost had it. It felt like two steps away from being a pretty novel take on delivering rather low cost long term content for an MMO. Even first time around, the whole event basically offered all the bells and whistles seasonal content in Diablo 3 has. Little more polish and thought and DvsL could be seen as the " end game" , or as an interesting alternative to the end game. It shouldn't be something that happened three years back. It should be something that just launched its season 5 or something.

.Apparently, it was only used to promote the current DvsL bacground sim that literally nobody cares about at all. Its like using a ferrari to promote the nice light that goes on when opening the glovebox.

They said on one of the devstreams that they want to bring it back but differently and that they have yet to settle on how.

I'm glad to hear that! Their vantaghe point seems needless tho; its not like the first go had been some messy clusterhump at all. It worked just as it should and was perfectly fine as it was.

Even at first go, DvsL already had the functionality comparable to seasons in Diablo 3..Which I think are widely regarded as a pretty good mechanic to invrease the longevity of game content.

Just little bit more creativity with various gimmicky objectives included and we're golden.

Edited by Stradlin

I'm glad to hear that! Their vantaghe point seems needless tho; ts not like the 1st go had been some messy clusterhump at all. It worked just as it should and was perfectly fine as it was.

A rerun of the previous event in its original state would be ridiculous for at least two reasons:

* It was based on creating new characters, and many people are well over the maximum number of characters allowed.

* It was based on max-level being 65 and end-of-story being Chapter XVI of KotFE.

The second isn't conceptually hard to resolve - just change the "a character to 65 objective to "a character to 75"(1), and require completion of KotFE/ET, the Traitor Arc, JUS, and Onslaught, and then add the newer flashpoints to the list(s) of FPs you must run. Adding Gods and Dxun to the Ops requirement might cause stress, though.

Resolving the first will be a real problem. It's theoretically possible for a pre-merge player to now have about 200 characters (maybe more) on one of the US servers, and 120 or so on the other servers. The maximum unlockable number of characters is 100 per server, and that player with 200 would have an effective limit of only about 60-70 on that server, and thus be unable to create new characters.

EDIT: footnote:

(1) It's not going to happen before 6.0 drops, so max level will be at least 75.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

It was based on creating new characters, and many people are well over the maximum number of characters allowed.

I'm aware that there is a number of people who, because of the merger, have too many characters already, but I doubt that it's a large number.

An easy solution would be to give people (subs) 2 free "start at level 1" character slots. The slots could be time limited for use only during the event (but, no, the characters would not be deleted afterwards).

Or, those with too many characters could simply be SOL. :)

It was based on max-level being 65 and end-of-story being Chapter XVI of KotFE.

The max level needed for a DvsL event is purely arbitrary - it could be "take a character to level 50" if they wanted.

To OP, I agree they ought to run the event again for new players and old who were forced off the game due to BW's awful game design choices who happened to miss this one time event while regaining their sanity with a much needed break.

But! Luckily we can experience RakGhoul events endlessly and other equally old and stale events. They probably lost the coding for it or something because it's hard to believe they wouldn't cycle it at least once a year for people who did miss it.

It was meant to give incentive for players to replay the class stories and old content all over again while receiving very nice rewards.. ;)

I think the event should be repeated but with different objectives. If its all the "same" (or just adjusted to current level) it will just be a new cicle of the same thing.

Yah, this is how I'd like to see it happening too. I'd settle for a rerun that has bare minimum adjustments that level cap changes and such bring.. But would surely welcome a rehauled version. They could introduce some sort of..meta classes with it too. - No major changes or additions storywise or to class mechanics, just different objectives and bonuses during DvsL - Pilot would have leanings towards GSF, railshooter and Starfighter stuff, with rewards and titles reflecting this. Mandalorian could be something ground pvp/warzone focused. Loremaster earns his spurs by chasing codex entries..and so on.

Edited by Stradlin

There's another reason not to bring it back.

It was a bore of a grind-fest dressed up as something new and shiny.

Kind of like ALL content since KotFE.

All The Best

If it was brought back, you don't have take part. So really just a negative post just for negatives sake.

Personally at present time I would like 6.0 to come out first, after that any event new or old are always welcome by me. I don't do all just the ones I like. The ones I don't care for.... well why spoil it for players who do?

The Event was the best in ages. Not only was it at the right time but it was done right.

You grinded for achievements to earn shinnies and what made it better that it was done at a time when critically acclaimed KOTFE came out, so it captivated a lot and made them stick around to try various things surrounding the event. I would even go as far as saying out of SWTOR expansions this was the most popular, no matter your personal views on KOTFE personally I liked it minus some annoyances along the way or the single storyline. But regardless what made 4.0 a success was the combination of the two which for me I would give anything for.

Heck I'll be waiting in a queue forever whilst time is money and I'm getting old. I don't know how long my mortal life will permit me.

it was a slog trying to complete everything. I wouldn't want to do it again. If they did run it, it would have to have different rewards as the people who already completeled it would have no reason to do it again. And if they did that, then people would complain again, that they wanted the new rewARDS, AND THE OLD ONES....

I think a new Dark vs Light event could be alright but not the same one, Id lose the alt making and rerunning of old stuff and keep the datacrons and any other actual new stuff the event had I cant remember and add the dark vs light bosses and any other content like them that exists but has no real incentives for people to tackle and maybe running all the new fps and ops and such since the last event.

There's another reason not to bring it back.

It was a bore of a grind-fest dressed up as something new and shiny.

Kind of like ALL content since KotFE.

All The Best

This isn't helpful at all. If you have nothing intelligent or thoughtful to add, my suggestion, stay silent. Some of us loved DvL and would very much like it to return in some form, if only to acquire the only heirloom gear in the game.

Some of us loved DvL and would very much like it to return in some form, if only to acquire the only heirloom gear in the game.

Many never got a chance to do the event, so that alone is reason enough to run it again.

I mean what event on SWTOR only gets ran one time, anyway? lol. Pretty surprised this one never got repeated. That's why I have to wonder if some technical reason is stopping them from running it.

Maybe a jaded dev tossed the DvsL coding out the window when they left BW.

Apparently, it was only used to promote the current DvsL bacground sim that literally nobody cares about at all.

I came back after a break and I'm still none the wiser what all of the "The light side grows stronger" things mean. I only ran the DvsL event for two things;

1. XP Boost gear.
  2. Shiny boxes to open for Cartel Market stuff.

By all means they can bring it back, I am in no way prepared to go through all of that all over again though. Not even if it auto completes my entire Cartel Market collections and unlocks it all legacy wide.

Ultimately, TOR's endgame coud function much like Diablo 3's seasons witth pretty reasonable amount of dev sweat I think. It was almost there the 1st time around. It is so strange they basically pulled it off..and then moved away from it. And its not like such path was abandoned for the sake of something else - Nothing r was done to offer an alternatie or replacement.

Different DvsL seasons+Conquest could make a pretty fun and unique take of end game content.

Edited by Stradlin

The event forced players to play the entire game all over again in order to participate. Do you know how big this game is? Obviously, it didn't sit well with most people. I didn't participate; I certainly would have suffered a burnout if I did.

It was worse for me too, because I literally got to endgame at the time it happened. Thus, in my case, I was required to do the exact same everything I just did.

In the very least, they could have made the event retroactive. Instead, it ended up as an incentive to bring in more players to the game but at the cost of slapping the current player base at the time across the face.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Ultimately, TOR's endgame coud function much like Diablo 3's seasons witth pretty reasonable amount of dev sweat I think

I managed just one "new season" with Diablo before I was bored to tears plying yet more of the same stuff I'd already played 4 times.

When the best a Game Compnay can come up with for end-game is Rinse Repeat Already Stale Content it really is just time to pull the plug.

Either on the current Devs who clearly have no imagination at all if that is all they can come up with; or on the game itself if that is all that can be afforded.

All The Best

When the best a Game Compnay can come up with for end-game is Rinse Repeat Already Stale Content it really is just time to pull the plug.

Either on the current Devs who clearly have no imagination at all if that is all they can

DvsL and having it function like seasons in Diablo would be something no MMO I ever played has tried. If you wish to evaluate things based on how different and unique something is, I would guess it scores rather high on your chart. I'm kinda getting the imperssion you aren't here to discuss anything as much as droping ome thinly veiled " kill the game already!" two liners though.

Edited by Stradlin