Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, yes....

Yes, they are :(

No, the people you'd assign to work on the environment might also be assigned to tackling the hood/helmet issue, but most of SWTOR's issues are a lack of content - not graphic related. The people programming the stuff youd see here do not automatically have the skills relevant to whatever issues you're focused on. Are they mocking you? No. Would it be nice to see this kind of info from the dev's on things like - SGR, Class content, crafting and such? Yes.

Learn to spell 'resources'.

And they are spending plenty on other aspects of the game - name me another MMO which has had this much new content in the first 12 months

Alright, English is not my first language - you got me there. Congratulations.

That aside, the fact that they are "spending plenty on other aspects of the game" (how you know exactly how they spent their resources beats me) does not change the fact that resources spent on one thing, are resources that could have been spent somewhere else.

Edited by Andge

Actually, unless this is a new hire just to do this, he's more right than you are. You staff your team with people that are good in certain fields, and sometimes what some are doing are more essential to QOL fixes than others at that time. Does that mean that you get rid of someone who is good at their job and will be useful in the future? I should hope not if you're looking at the long term. They might get busy (or non-essential) work for now, but its a price you pay to have your team ready when something does come up that they need them for that's essential to what you're working on at that time.

You're assuming that the Tech guy could not have spent his time on performance optimisation instead of visual improvements. Which is a wrong assumption.

About hiring/firing and short term vs. long term planning, since we don't know the actual structure of BW, what skills the individual employee and position has, contracts term etc. you might be right and you might be wrong.

As much as (some) people appreciate improvements being made, I'm curious of the range of systems these optimisations are tested on. Since 1.4 myself along with many others have started having multiple crashes during play sessions.

Prior to 1.4 the game ran very stable. Now 1 person (I know, that hardly qualifies as a sample http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=549368 ) mentioned upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit OS seems to have solved their issues. This got me a little interested and is something I feel your department could give a response too.

So are these changes made with 64 bit in mind? Are they even tested on a 32 bit system or is this a total none issue and simply 1 persons experience with an upgrade? Is it something which has been looked in to?

THIS is what you guys work on all day? Not fixing bugs? Not REDUCING LAG? Just adding pretty colors to grass? Seriously; you should be fired, dude. I don't care one bit that my grass is shiny when the sun's out, I do care that I don't lag to high heaven when the sun's out....

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT.

I don't want pretty grass that doesn't increase lag... I want whatever you have to do to REDUCE it. Get your act together.

Fire VanGogh and hire a real game designer please.

For you, I only have one answer because any explanations would be a waste of time

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JA8dAMMyMr4/Sm7eVfMKT_I/AAAAAAAAAb4/ROCugwPO7LM/s400/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

name me another MMO which has had this much new content in the first 12 months

Lol, are you willfully ignorant? What about Rift? The amount of content that game received in the first 12 months blows this game out of the water.

Edited by Dovahbrah

THIS is what you guys work on all day? Not fixing bugs? Not REDUCING LAG? Just adding pretty colors to grass? Seriously; you should be fired, dude. I don't care one bit that my grass is shiny when the sun's out, I do care that I don't lag to high heaven when the sun's out....

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT.

I don't want pretty grass that doesn't increase lag... I want whatever you have to do to REDUCE it. Get your act together.

Fire VanGogh and hire a real game designer please.

^^ I agree. At the very least this patch did fix a couple of issues that I was aware of. But why did those issues move to the top of the fix list? Drunkard's Vote Cantina on Coruscant still doesn't work when you need to speak to a companion (this has been reported after every single patch since launch). Our taxis still flicker like mad ever since you broke it a couple patches ago. The scenery in game is beautiful, but because of lag, latency and other issues I can't ever set my settings above extremely low, low or off. So making pretty grass that I won't see due is at the bottom of my priority list. Why not make the game FUNCTIONAL so we can use some of the higher graphics settings.

For all you haters that will point to all the various posts and articles about tweaks to make my game run faster, I have read them all and have implemented all of them that apply to my machine and OS. It works great if I don't need to see pretty grass. My machine is not the problem I am talking about. My rant here is about all of the bugs that have gone unresolved since launch, and all of the bugs that have been introduced because BW decided it is more important to bring in new content versus fixing the old. FIX IT FIRST, then give us pretty shiny new content.

My computer is fine and it's a freaking Dell Vostro, how the heck are people having so many bugs when my low/medium end comp is fine?

Is that one with an integrated graphics and dell modified drivers?

If it is can you please log on to PTS to check it still works as so far HP and Samsung machines with intel integrated graphics with oem drivers both fail to run the game but we need more testing to be sure what the problem is and how widespread it it.

Is that one with an integrated graphics and dell modified drivers?

If it is can you please log on to PTS to check it still works as so far HP and Samsung machines with intel integrated graphics with oem drivers both fail to run the game but we need more testing to be sure what the problem is and how widespread it it.

Will do:)

I'm not going to be doing much though (have a Columi geared Sorc and that's it - so I can't test anything past Nightmare EV/KP or SM TfB (maybe 1 stack Dreadtooth but I've haven't tried him so that I don't know).

I'll update the PTS ASAP if I find a problem:cool:

Just what this game needed, an update to foliage! Not class balance, not bug fixing, none of that; what we truly needed was better looking foliage.

Of all the replies, this is one of a very few who hit the nail on the head.

BioWare has (had) a reputation for making good games. But on this one they've seem to of dropped the ball on many occasions.

This is something that was not a priority. There are so many other things that have greater necessities than making the scenery greener.

BioWare. I just don't know.

Edited by RikHar