How to turn absolute disgust about soloing conquest in 6.1.4 into something positive

xordevoreaux

For the TLDR crowd, I'll make this simple:

Under 6.1.4, I'll be forced to do crap that I don't want to do just to reach the same conquest points I did before.

People will say just run GSF. Just Run PvP. You'll get your precious conquest points.

Not. The Freaking. Point.

I like what I liked running BEFORE 6.1.4 to get conquest, which sure as hell never included PvP and GSF.

Under 6.1.4:

1. Grouping for conquest content is now gated by level, because conquest is now divided into tiers by level, meaning a 40 and a 75 can't do much conquest together other than the starter planets because what qualifies for conquest for a level 40 is now different than for a 75.

2. Aside from starter planets whose conquest content remains available to everyone (not touched by the new conquest level tiering), conquest is now limited to those planets targeted by a given week's conquest event. That means I can't just willy nilly do whatever I want on whatever planet I want to reach conquest. I'll be stuck in line behind 30 other people on the same conquest planet either waiting for a conquest objective to respawn, or flipping from map to map to map to map hoping the conquest objective is up somewhere else.

3. Significant solo conquest point nerfs means altaholics like myself (168 toons across 5 accounts) just lost out big time. EA had finally made conquest FUN for soloers. Under 6.1.4, solo conquest across multiple toons is now a job. An unnecessary grind. We'll either have to stop our playing for the day far earlier than usual because we must wait for the conquest objectives to reset overnight, or scrounge around and hold our nose and stab at content we really... really... don't want to do. Play your way. Right.

And EA somehow believes this constitutes fun. How freaking complicated is it for EA to understand not to touch stuff that a good number of players like?

All EA had to do was bolster the points for conquest in areas that they wanted to bolster and leave the solo content alone, and they wouldn't be reading essays like this or the fire and brimstone on the 6.1.4 feedback thread.

So what to do

Usually after yet another wildly stupid decision by EA, I do my own personal reset. And the way I do that is to pretend like I've never played SWTOR before in my life, that I don't know what came before, so that I have no idea the depth or scope of what I just lost based on EA's stupidity. My own little Jedi mind trick.

For 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and a lot of point releases in between, that mind trick worked:

Several stuns and interrupts stripped from my sentinels? Got over that.

Sage healer casting requirements up but healing output down? Got over that.

Just got my main into a BiS bonus gear set, but now that set bonus just got nerfed? Got over that (mostly).

So many examples.

But I don't see a reset happening for me this time. The little Jedi mind trick just won't work. The change is too profound to pretend it never existed.

If I'm going to continue with this game, I must accept that I cannot under 6.1.4. play as I had. It just will not happen.

So to turn absolute disgust about soloing conquest in 6.1.4 into something positive, I must first re-examine my goals, swallowing the fact that I must now push those goals back and face the new reality:

1. Slower conquest for what I like to do.

2. Fewer alts reaching conquest

3. Fewer opportunities for me to group with guildies across different levels to accomplish conquest.

4. Waiting ridiculously long times for conquest objectives to re-spawn because all the pigs are at the same trough.

I see emptiness where I want to find something positive. Yes, when I group with my guildies for ops 3 times a week, there will be a boost in points. Yay for those three toons. Good for them. For the rest, it's a scramble.

Now that I've examined my goals, I must adjust my mindset into how I'll accomplish those goals:

1. Finding new patience to accomplish less, and less often. A lack of patience, or, I would say, a good heaping dose of desperation, might finally force me (play your way be damned) into content that eventually I can get to tolerate (the same way one tolerates staying after work an extra two hours every night and not getting paid for it because you're salaried).

2. Accepting that sometimes when a lower-level guildie wants someone to tag along with them for conquest, that I won't as a level 75 be getting conquest points myself, just helping them out. I can be either selfish and call that a waste of time, or I can be positive and say I'm building bonds in my guild by helping out and I can run my own conquest later if I have any energy left (I'm not young).

Not the strongest positivity in the world by far.

But the best I can come up with.

My first priority is to try to keep as many of my guildies as I can from quitting the game altogether.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill use this as a mark in the turning point of "play your way" to "play OUR way, peasant, or leave"

before these nerfs? my guild and i DID WHATEVER THE HELL WE WANTED! and guess what? we GOT our goal doing it! we didnt have to worry about what objective we were doing. we dont have to worry about "guys ...sigh..we gotta do this or else we wont get enough points" or chore ourselves through something and not be having fun while going "lets just get it over with..." because why? we got the points regardless of what we did! it finally brought more people online and people are doing EVERYTHING around everywhere, w/e the hell they want! "play your way"

im really really hoping this conquest change (nerf) doesn't screw that up and FORCE you, yet again...just like the old days...to chore yourselves and do certain objectives over and over and over again to the point it feels like a job. im usually a big supporter of the game and bioware, but this has me pretty peeved at first glance and testing it. it's slowly turning into a chore again. and if it does that? my guild will no longer do conquest. nor will i. hence "play our way, peasant :mad: or leave"

I'm reserving judgement to when the actual patch drops...but im very worried about it. i havent felt like this for this game in a while

Edited by Sarfux

I don't mind if they make the hardest content give more points. That's as it should be. But don't cut the points to the ppl leveling.

reducing the number of places one can achieve conquest will do what the OP said, cause lines of people waiting for respawns, inviting more toxicity into a game they say they are trying to reduce it. This is at cross purposes to their own goals. It's a bad idea to limit the places one can earn conquest. Truly.

Of course, I'm only speaking up because I can't log in at all right now. So I wish 6.1.4 was all about makign their servers more robust instead.

My first priority is to try to keep as many of my guildies as I can from quitting the game altogether.

At this point most of the small guilds I'm in are quiet, and most are gone pref. CQ was the one group thing we did, but if that's been messed with, I've no idea what will keep them coming back. As for myself, I've built up a lot in the game, and don't want to lose it, which is why I've stayed subbed, but lately, I'm not as invested in it as I was. At the moment I'm finding less, and less reasons to stay subbed.

I use to believe it was my old pc or bad internet is why I hated PVP or GSF. Now I have a brand new top of the line pc and 400mbp internet. I still hate them both. They suck they are not fun. I dare not say cheaters. Maybe they are maybe not. Neither are fun. I will not be doing them. This game trying to force people into 2 of the crappiest parts of this game is not play our way. Next thing there will force us into Walker fights for conquest points.

Every MMO goes through this cycle every so often where a vocal minority of the player base, and the devs believe that players have it too good in the game. So they start taking things away in the name of "Making the game harder, and funner!". After about a year, or possibly two they'll announce new changes to conquest reverting the changes they are doing now while trying to sound magnanimous in making their game a little bit easier for us peasants. Edited by jgaray

Every MMO goes through this cycle every so often where a vocal minority of the player base, and the devs believe that players have it too good in the game. So they start taking things away in the name of "Making the game harder, and funner!". After about a year, or possibly two they'll announce new changes to conquest reverting the changes they are doing now while trying to sound magnanimous in making their game a little bit easier for us peasants.

the problem is, 6 months ago they revamped CQ because of all the issues (it became the best, most inclusive, and most accessible it ever was), and since then, they've been taking it away.

Edited by DarkTergon

ill use this as a mark in the turning point of "play your way" to "play OUR way, peasant, or leave"

Yup. Blizzard is doing the same thing over on WoW for shadowlands. Just goes to show how out of touch devs are with their mmo and the people that play them. And yet, they wonder why the financial side dips lower and lower and lower every meeting. Why can't they retain players? "We need something new to keep players and bring in players and then milk their money", they say, after watching the money drop and the players leave. Solution: Stop trying to fix what ain't broke, yo. The past is where you can learn from. Before all this MTX garbage and fluff, there was actual content that kept players around. A slow death is what is in store for these games.

I mean, they can't even keep a launcher working reliably when literally nothing was going on. Just decided to stop working, yet there was no patch, no nothing...It's insane.

Edited by LegionAlpha

the problem is, 6 months ago they revamped CQ because of all the issues (it became the best, most inclusive, and most accessible it ever was), and since then, they've been taking it away.

I re-subscribed when they made the conquest changes six months ago - before, the combination of requiring conquest mats to craft while making conquest a pain in the rear left me unwilling to financially support the game.

Now with the changes announced for 6.1.4 (along with the swing in direction they suggest), I'm going back to preferred and will end up logging in less and less.

Great job Bioware.

Edited by DawnAskham

I re-subscribed when they made the conquest changes six months ago - before, the combination of requiring conquest mats to craft while making conquest a pain in the rear left me unwilling to financially support the game.

Now with the changes announced for 6.1.4 (along with the swing in direction they suggest), I'm going back to preferred and will end up logging in less and less.

Great job Bioware.

only subbed for this month to get shae, probably won't bother again, as it's not worth the price when they keep killing the content i like

:mad::mad::mad:

reducing the number of places one can achieve conquest will do what the OP said, cause lines of people waiting for respawns, inviting more toxicity into a game they say they are trying to reduce it....It's a bad idea to limit the places one can earn conquest. Truly.

It will be like the DK Heroic Quest "Possessed Hunter" where you have the one target and have to group up with others (if they are willing) to avoid waiting for 20+ minutes while everyone fights him. Granted the number of people after the quest target ebbs and flows, but it is a small, relatively tame, example of things to come.

Edited by TexasMarine

I don't mind if they make the hardest content give more points. That's as it should be. But don't cut the points to the ppl leveling.

reducing the number of places one can achieve conquest will do what the OP said, cause lines of people waiting for respawns, inviting more toxicity into a game they say they are trying to reduce it. This is at cross purposes to their own goals. It's a bad idea to limit the places one can earn conquest. Truly.

Of course, I'm only speaking up because I can't log in at all right now. So I wish 6.1.4 was all about makign their servers more robust instead.

right now, you can get conquest by doing any content anywhere. it's great!!

after the patch? it will be like "i wanna do conquest objectives here! we can do heroics!"

bioware - "ahahah you are funny. tatooine isn't an invasion planet this week, so you actually dont get conquest points for the heroics if you do them there...you invaded balmorra. you gotta do balmorra heroics"

player - "but i dont wanna do balmorra heroics...i want to do tatooine heroics. I wanna play my way!"

bioware - "hahahah...you CAN play your way. just on balmorra. so go do the balmorra heroics :I "

conquest was absolutely awesome after that overhaul! and became even BETTER when they did the one a few months ago!! EVERYONE came online and was excited. I haven't seen that many people online in my guild in a very long time. but you are right...they have been slowly taking the fun away again. not sure *** is going on

What they should've done is a positive approach. So focus planets get 50% more conquest points and every other planet gets normal points.

Now they've taken the negative approach by taking points away entirely.

It seems like they want to herd people together but the positive approach will accomplish that for most people, especially conquest guilds whereas the rest can just play as they choose normally.

wait is that why my marauder no longer has his droid stun? why was it removed?

The droid stun I'm not sure about, but the rest of the stuns/interrupts were taken away for the usual reason.

PVP types complained that Sents and their mirrors had too many stuns/interrupts. (my sent had 5 at one point).

Taking them away for PvP also meant taking them away from PvE.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I agree. The conquest was nearly perfect. All what was needed was buff few things (GSF, pvp). There was no need for nerfs, changing pvp to wins only etc.

For me the solution is simple. I will not resub next month. I came this year back to SWTOR and I will leave the game this year again. Good job Bioware.

Forced?

No. Just won't do conquests. Stopped doing conquests before will do so again. On the other hand as said in another thread have been thinking about buying a PS4 to play the new avengers game. So as I now know these changes are coming in, I am just putting money aside to move on to Avengers once the changes come into affect.

I have always believed that as players you either accept changes or move on, so when they come this time, it's time to move on. With the changes to both conquests and the fact that BW are yet again putting crafts mats behind group play and befitting just a percentage of players, well screw BW. They lost me as a sub as soon as my sub runs out. As I generally have 3 sub accounts going at any one time, well OK just 1 player but 3 subs lost.

It just feels like the devs are trying to emulate the PUBG/MW success and bring that to this franchise... late to the game and trying to appeal to a majority that frankly don't care about "battle royale" type events... if I wanted COD I'd go play COD!

Group play is fine, incentivizing group play is a great idea but doing that at the expense of solo play or PVE doesn't make sense.

It just feels like the devs are trying to emulate the PUBG/MW success and bring that to this franchise... late to the game and trying to appeal to a majority that frankly don't care about "battle royale" type events... if I wanted COD I'd go play COD!

Group play is fine, incentivizing group play is a great idea but doing that at the expense of solo play or PVE doesn't make sense.

I want to play this game how I WANT TO PLAY. that was the whole POINT of the "play your way" campaign.....now they are going back on that? o.O and im going to be forced to do what the devs decide "is best" to get conquest? cmon now...that isn't right

right now, you can get conquest by doing any content anywhere. it's great!!

after the patch? it will be like "i wanna do conquest objectives here! we can do heroics!"

bioware - "ahahah you are funny. tatooine isn't an invasion planet this week, so you actually dont get conquest points for the heroics if you do them there...you invaded balmorra. you gotta do balmorra heroics"

player - "but i dont wanna do balmorra heroics...i want to do tatooine heroics. I wanna play my way!"

bioware - "hahahah...you CAN play your way. just on balmorra. so go do the balmorra heroics :I "

You guys are really weird.

Right now people doing basically any non-solo content go to personal conquest targer in about 90 minutes.

While people playing heroics and daily areas can bring 9-10 alts to conquest target in the same amount of time easily.

So playing solo is currently FROM NINE TO THEN TIMES MORE REWARDING than actual group content.

Dont you see anything strange in this?

With Conquest system implemented on PTS it was already proven that average player can reach 500k conquest in 2,5 hours.

In 2,5 hours

This is actually Small Yeild Invasion rreward and it's perfectly reachable by just one person doing solo content in 2,5 hours.

This is far more than any PvPer or GSF pilot or casual raider is able to get in a week.

For god's sake just stop complaining, you all are ridiculous.

I really do not understand the fuss either. The changes are not that big and conquest will still be really easy.

90% of what I do is solo, I do not try to reach the conquest goal at all but still reach it every week by simply playing the game. And that is just from a couple of hours a week.

Yes, it will be harder to get the conquest on all of your dozens of alts (wonder how many people do this at all). But a fair system with a rotation seems both more interesting and closer to what conquest was supposed to be in the first place.

EDIT: btw I get that for some players this is a big deal, dont get me wrong. But to go al crazy about it seems a bit much.

Edited by Gokkus