Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

The sub fee kept the rif raf off the game servers :(

Yup,there's that too.I've played a lot of F2P MMo's in the past---they have some of the worse communities.I remember what happened to "Bree" chat in LOTRO when it went F2P.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: Originally Posted by SumZed

but remember, you don't have to do it RIGHT AWAY! you have until December 20 to do so...

I have seen this (or a similar date) twice now, where did it come from? I have seen this (or a similar date) twice now, where did it come from?

December 21st is the Northern Hemisphere Winter Solstice, i.e. the Official First Day of Winter. The Launch was announced to be this Fall, so they would have until December 20th to lauch F2P and still Technically be in Fall. Today they announced that it would be Launched on Thursday Nov 15th.

Edited by Feartheswans

why did you guys charge for wearing purple gear, unify gear, and hide head slot?? you realize this is just going to alienate new customers right?

in fact, if i didnt already invest a ton of money in the game, i would leave. charging for stuff like that is RIDICULOUS.

Edited by SithInitiate

But then lets look at what I NEED to enjoy the game.

If every player would base her/his purchases on "need" bases, you won`t have this abomination called F2P. Because nobody would buy the crap they are selling.

So, the correct answer is.. they don`t need, but WANT. Because the other guy has it. Poor souls not being able to decide for themselves.

If every player would base her/his purchases on "need" bases, you won`t have this abomination called F2P. Because nobody would buy the crap they are selling.

So, the correct answer is.. they don`t need, but WANT. Because the other guy has it. Poor souls not being able to decide for themselves.

The reason for that was due to another poster stating that the entry fee was too high. That it was a barrier to enjoy the game. I was pointing out that it just was not so. Highlighting needs over wants, exactly.

The reason for that was due to another poster stating that the entry fee was too high. That it was a barrier to enjoy the game. I was pointing out that it just was not so. Highlighting needs over wants, exactly.

Aha.. thanks for pointing it out :)

I must say... you are getting more and more cynical here recently Urael. :(

Basically, I disagree with your assessment. Making the game actually playable to level 50 is a good move. It draws players in well beyond any "trial" feel (which is what sub-only MMOs are locked into)... and yet they have sufficient attractive perks for sub-50 to draw players in early. And let's face it... if if you see nothing to do once you get to 50... then why did you play to begin with.

Just because you are jaded about the game right now does not invalidate the flexibility (and draw/attraction) of play they are offering with the dual access sub/freemium approach. ;)

I agree with both of you. I enjoy this game because I loved KOTOR as did many. The storylines arcs for some of the characters are well worth paying for. Who wouldn't want to see what happens to their agent or bounty hunter at the grand finale. Giving that away must be due to the way the game is setup. Beside I think people would be hooked on the game at around level 40.

you know what ticked me of ? well here it is before i say something i love this game i play it every spare sec i have but when they said unpaid people would progress slower who is gaining fro that whats the point another thing that sucks for me is that my game for my paid charachter ends on the 14 and im on lvl 49 and one more thing if we pay and then our paying day ends will you still get to keep that player and play him unpaid i am done now thank your for your time

One thing I can't stand about limiting the people in F2P is Space missions. I don't understand the point in limiting this part of the game to anyone. Flashpoints and warzones I can understand; though I do rather prefer just buying outright access to them for good, ala LOTRO.

But limiting Space missions? In a Star Wars game? It just seems petty and pointless.

1. It won't bring back many of the players who left, because BioWare hasn't fixed any of the broken systems that were the cause of their departure in the first place. BioWare can spin the, "Players just didn't have the money to sub," line all they want, we all know there is a large group of players who left due to problems with the game, and very few of those problems have since been addressed (and those that have been addressed are superficial issues like "shadow quality," which I doubt led to anyone unsubscribing from the game.)

2. Free to play players are restricted from full access to group content, which will lead to more "solo" players, and less players looking for groups on servers. That's a shift in the wrong direction. We have to hope that, in the long term, the free to play option actually leads to more subs, either that or F2P players are willing to pay for increased access to group content.

3. Some of the free to play restrictions don't sit well with me. Restricting the basic UI and restricting the ability to equip rare equipment are a couple of examples.

4. BioWare is using this as an excuse to delay fixing their game. They say things like, "Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it." The subscription is being used as a scapegoat to deflect attention from the other problems with the game. And obviously, they can't be in too big a rush to address our concerns when this is how they think we all feel about the game.

5. BioWare promises more frequent game content updates, but continues to layoff more of their development team. More frequent content releases + smaller development team = lower quality content.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

dude the reason here coin that is cause disney took over and they don't know what the hell there doing

F2P was being implemented LONG before Disney took over Lucasfilm. Ea just licences the IP, Lucasfilm only has say in the story, not implementation of game features.

The sub fee kept the rif raf off the game servers :(

No it hasn't. Not in this game, not in any other MMORPG ever, nor will it ever.

People will shell out 15 bucks per month to be *****s. It happens in every MMORPG. Best proof is still WoW.

Edited by Diefenbaker

Well more players that will enjoy the game and prob sub.. i allrdy know a few players who's started on the 15 limit trial and all of them has allrdy brought the game lol. This will probably boost both players to play with and subscribers = win win, no matter what anyone says this is a really good thing.

Don't want to read through this entire thread...

What about characters that are already created but not of the allowable race for "Free to Play" will they still be that race, or will they be converted to one of the "Free to Play" races allowed?

It's in the FAQ - your characters wiil remain, nothing will convert.

Here's one I haven't seen nailed down yet: How many Cartel Coins are we, as Subscribers/VIP Status Players, receiving per month once F2P drops?

Darth Hater is the source for this. He had to have questions submitted by the 12th for EA to answer. That question was one of them. Check the site for further the answers once they are posted. (As of three hours ago, they had not posted anything new)

Edited by Thylbanus

After reviewing the Free, Preferred, Subscriber options and what is for sale on the Cartel Shop, I feel like EA micro-transacted the crap out of this game. Some of the choices leave a bad taste in my mouth:

• Quick slots - you do want people to be able to enjoy the game to entice them to pay right? At least this was upped to two. It is playable as such.
  • Title and Legacy display - this is one of those things I felt was just a money grab
  • Crew skills - not much more than a means of earning credits if you are only allowed one, considering you need three to actually craft things independent of others.
  • Hide Helmet/Unify colours - another cash grab?
  • Space missions - was space on rails really that exciting that people will pay to do more than three a week?

Aside from these ones, I felt that most of the cash shop choices were good. Let them run flash points, limit the loot they get was good. No access to ops seems fair. Race choices but not class choices limited. Gear limits. Seems appropriate.

Personally, I reupped to get my coins to unlock crew skills. I can suffer with two quickslot bars. I may keep it up as i missed the game a bit. That being said, I only considered returning to play out the class stories across the board. I hope that EA decides to loosen up on a few of the more cash grabby items on the shop, but if not, at least I can enjoy the game I bought as a single player game for free. Thanks for making the transition.

I don't have a problem with any of the F2P decisions chosen, if you don't pay any cash towards a game expect a limited experience! As a subscriber though I think it would be fair to those who regularly pay money to support the game if the cartel shop items were purchasable with in game cash for subscribers, if I pay a subscription then I don't expect anything to be out of my reach without more cash being spent.