Request to Change Project and Throw, with suggestions and examples…

Dyvim

I actually love Project, I think changing Shock's animation would be better than changing Project. As for the animations, I havent had inappropriately themed objects pulled out of the ground often enough to be noticeable. They always seem fine to me. And these things can always be refined.

However, I feel that Telekinetic Throw could use some love. Its animation is rather lackluster. Rather than pebbles, I think something along the lines of throwing multiple objects smaller than project at the enemy instead of pebbles at intervals that run in line with the ticks of damage. It'd be a sort of rapid fire Project.

+1

My feelings exactly.

When I am not playing and thinking about my consular I dont imagine the robes, weapon or whatever. Only Project pops in mind. Would hate to lose that.

TT could use an improvement.

Shock does need an overhaul imo. Atm as far as I know there is no tell tell sign if inquisitor use it. Since the dmg it does can be quite high I would like to have a means of spotting and preventing it.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

My feelings exactly.

When I am not playing and thinking about my consular I dont imagine the robes, weapon or whatever. Only Project pops in mind. Would hate to lose that.

Shock does need an overhaul imo. Atm as far as I know there is no tell tell sign if inquisitor use it. Since the dmg it does can be quite high I would like to have a means of spotting and preventing it.

? Obviously you should not be able to tell when an INSTANT spell is launched. Overhaul? Not happening and I can't believe you even want it to on a spell thats supposed to be, read tooltip, instant.

Project is messed up and needs to be balanced, its also a horrible animation to put on a sage, they couldve put it on a sorcerer to provide them with variety but it has no, none whatsoever, place on a sage who is supposed to be telekinetic force energy inspired. See: Telekinetic Wave, Turbulence, Disturbance. That's the path they should've walked.

Yes, but you're ignoring other completely canonical sources (even more canonical than JK, technically) in which pure light-side Jedi use object throwing constantly, so your one source is trumped by several other sources. Jedi Knight classified them as dark side attacks because in that game they were, but in the larger SW universe, they are not.

Here, Shaak-ti uses TK throw, without a hint of yellow eyes, at around 3:25.

Also, there's this video, which is silly, but also shows Shaak-ti using TK to throw an arm at one droid, and then pick up another droid and slam him into another one.

Video games are always considered the lowest type of canon. Basically worthless.

Project was cool the first 10 levels. Then the delay and non-jedi-ness of it started to bother me.

I play a tank, and I can't say that any of my main abilities feel very jedi,

Breach - Well, I'm not sure what this is doing. I look like I'm summoning dark shard of glass on my enemies. I rather it were something like a big force wave/splash (clear/blueish hues) came crashing down. The ability would need to be renamed I think.

Slow Time - I rather this were a bluish aura on the effected mobs or around their feet.

TK - God I hate this ability. It doesn't look very powerful or iconic for a jedi. I'd rather this were a force wind/storm time effect.

On a different note, I'd rather have my tank debuffs applied by a saber throw type whirlwind or regular old Whirling Blow. I hate having to manage ability cooldowns and debuff uptime. Energy systems provide all the "cooldown" you need. The whole point of an energy system is that it provides limitations on abilities spam without explicit cooldowns. Sure you want loong cooldowns on things like stuns ans CC and such, but for rotational stuff, I'd rather have my attacks applying my debuffs (double srike single target, whirling blow pbaeo, and maybe have slow time adds its debuff to breach for a targeted aoe.)

I have plenty to do as a tank between keeping myself alive, running my rotation and protecting allies to be worried about cooldowns on main abilities. I'm geting off topic, maybe I'll write up a review in another thread some time.

My baby jedi guardian already feels more jedi than my sage does, and he's level 20.

Edited by Vikken

Project was cool the first 10 levels. Then the delay and non-jedi-ness of it started to bother me.

I play a tank, and I can't say that any of my main abilities feel very jedi,

Breach - Well, I'm not sure what this is doing. I look like I'm summoning dark shard of glass on my enemies. I rather it were something like a big force wave/splash (clear/blueish hues) came crashing down. The ability would need to be renamed I think.

Slow Time - I rather this were a bluish aura on the effected mobs or around their feet.

TK - God I hate this ability. It doesn't look very powerful or iconic for a jedi. I'd rather this were a force wind/storm time effect.

On a different note, I'd rather have my tank debuffs applied by a saber throw type whirlwind or regular old Whirling Blow. I hate having to manage ability cooldowns and debuff uptime. Energy systems provide all the "cooldown" you need. The whole point of an energy system is that it provides limitations on abilities spam without explicit cooldowns. Sure you want loong cooldowns on things like stuns ans CC and such, but for rotational stuff, I'd rather have my attacks applying my debuffs (double srike single target, whirling blow pbaeo, and maybe have slow time adds its debuff to breach for a targeted aoe.)

I have plenty to do as a tank between keeping myself alive, running my rotation and protecting allies to be worried about cooldowns on main abilities. I'm geting off topic, maybe I'll write up a review in another thread some time.

My baby jedi guardian already feels more jedi than my sage does, and he's level 20.

And ironcially all your suggestions are just equally not "iconic"...

I suggest you stick with your Knight then, seems like Consular is just not your type of class.

+1

My feelings exactly.

How do you plan to allow my SIn or Shadow the "means of spotting and preventing" other classes instacast abilities that can do damage??? There are more than 2 or 4 classes in the game. Why should some have instacast skills you can react to/avoid simply because of a stupid animation and others not??? IT ISNT MEANT TO BE PREVENTED. What lunacy. It is instant cast. Not activation timed. Not Channeled. Do you understand the difference? Do you understand that the piss poor animation is interfering with the mechanic of the skill?

That is one of the reasons the project animation is such a craptasm...it has a delay, SOLELY because of the animation, and that delay introduces problems for the class that its mirror does NOT HAVE. Like procs expiring. Or giving your opponent time to react when they should be dead.

Out of any of the arguments around to keep junk chunking, this one is perhaps the most absolutely ridiculous that anyone with a clue about overall game balance (forget just mirror balance, but that is enough reason to can junk chunking in itself) should be able to immediately figure out how stupid it is. So that makes me think that its a joke post or just someone that wants to keep the class gimped.

Edited by Dyvim

I am agreeing with the Original Post (at the top of this thread) 100%.

+1

Etc.

--> Bioware: when can we implement this? will you implement it? will you do anything to change Project, or TK Throw?

They have more important and pressing matter in their hands than idle vain animations and effects at the moment.

They have more important and pressing matter in their hands than idle vain animations and effects at the moment.

Wow, three for three. If that was the case, then why were changes made to trooper animations in 1.2? Why have the developers mentioned the need to bring mirror skills into closer alignment and to make the republic skills more responsive?

Who knows why they haven't fixed this yet, but it certainly isnt because they havent addressed other very similar issues in the recent past.

And the saga continues...the Agent has a companion named Raina Temple...and she is force sensitive...and she ALSO has a power called Force Burst...with ANOTHER animation, different from Ashara's. And this animation is exactly what some people had envisioned when suggesting a Project replacement...basically its a beefed up "force blow up a container" animation...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1658/forceburst.jpg

again, blue background on hoth, but you get the idea....

So, on the sith side, there are TWO companions with TWO separate animations for a skill called Force Burst. Either animation would make a great instant replacement for chunk a clunker...and be a better mirror for shock. They are instant, dont involve junk, and are environmentally independent...and they are force push variants.

Oh yeah, and updated original post...

Edited by Dyvim

Wow, three for three. If that was the case, then why were changes made to trooper animations in 1.2? Why have the developers mentioned the need to bring mirror skills into closer alignment and to make the republic skills more responsive?

Who knows why they haven't fixed this yet, but it certainly isnt because they havent addressed other very similar issues in the recent past.

And adjustment to the execution of animation speed is entirely different to changing than animation completely, won't you agree?

Edited by Vales

And adjustment to the execution of animation speed is entirely different to changing than animation completely, won't you agree?

Wow, so I loved how you pivoted there after I pointed out the flaw in you statement. I'm sure BW has an animation team. And nothing can change up the timing of an animation like a new, or redone, animation. Especially when removing the delay from the animation would basically require a new one. Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by MirrimFaranth

Wow, so I loved how you pivoted there after I pointed out the flaw in you statement. I'm sure BW has an animation team. And nothing can change up the timing of an animation like a new, or redone, animation. Especially when removing the delay from the animation would basically require a new one. Wouldn't you agree?

There was no flaw in my statement. As far as I can recall, the delay compared to the BH DfA was miles larger.

It was more than one second slower and actually quite bugged overall to the point it missed ticks.

Our Project is not bugged at all, it works fine. Sure, the delay is a minor disadvantage, but you guys are really exaggerating it to epic proportions.

Yes they for sure have an animation team. Do you know what their current schedule is? What has priority and what not? Do you decide that? You really think this game evolves around your petty issue with Project?

Edited by Vales

There was no flaw in my statement. As far as I can recall, the delay compared to the BH DfA was miles larger.

It was more than one second slower and actually quite bugged overall to the point it missed ticks.

Our Project is not bugged at all, it works fine. Sure, the delay is a minor disadvantage, but you guys are really exaggerating it to epic proportions.

Yes they for sure have an animation team. Do you know what their current schedule is? What has priority and what not? Do you decide that? You really think this game evolves around your petty issue with Project?

Yes there was, read it again if you are confused. What you call petty is not necessarily for other players. That is your opinion, which is next to worthless, as is mine, but there are alot of players that agree it needs changing. En masse that begins to mean maybe a little more. Since the animation violates the mirror design and ruins the look and feel of the class for alot of people, changing it is a good idea. One you seem to be ok with, but again, you just want to argue.

It is pretty trivial to argue about something, post after post, that you think is trivial to start with...and, even worse, that you wouldnt mind seeing changed....again, that just shows that you have issues and want to argue just to be a pain. For me the second or so less to use procs is a big deal. Its just poor design, needless, poor design.

Edited by MirrimFaranth

Yes there was, read it again if you are confused. What you call petty is not necessarily for other players. That is your opinion, which is next to worthless, as is mine, but there are alot of players that agree it needs changing. En masse that begins to mean maybe a little more. Since the animation violates the mirror design and ruins the look and feel of the class for alot of people, changing it is a good idea. One you seem to be ok with, but again, you just want to argue.

It is pretty trivial to argue about something, post after post, that you think is trivial to start with...and, even worse, that you wouldnt mind seeing changed....again, that just shows that you have issues and want to argue just to be a pain. For me the second or so less to use procs is a big deal. Its just poor design, needless, poor design.

There are probably equally many people who like the animation and want it to stay at best sped up to minimize the difference to Shock.

Yes your opinion is just as much worth as those who like the animation. And yes when I see people make out a big fuss over something which has on the big scale PvP only a very minor influence overall I will stay in the thread and will point out the flaws in the argumentation.

And please, the forums were never representative to anything. They are most of the time a cesspool of whining and should be ignored by any professional company.

Let it make me clear I do PvP almost exclusively as a Sage and I also have a Sorcerer at level 22 and the main difference is that I see 150+ people in leveling areas while we have parely a quarter of that on Republic Fleet.

In other words, the main problem I have on my Sage there are too few people PvPing, few to no premade on our side while Imperials have the luxury to run premades 24/7 and are on avarage also better geared.

If anything needs to be adressed with top priority in PvP, since the differnce is of absolute NO consequence in Ops, Flashpoints, Leveling and Grinding they need to adress server population imbalances first.

Edited by Vales

There are probably equally many people who like the animation and want it to stay at best sped up to minimize the difference to Shock.

Yes your opinion is just as much worth as those who like the animation. And yes when I see people make out a big fuss over something which has on the big scale PvP only a very minor influence overall I will stay in the thread and will point out the flaws in the argumentation.

And please, the forums were never representative to anything. They are most of the time a cesspool of whining and should be ignored by any professional company.

Let it make me clear I do PvP almost exclusively as a Sage and I also have a Sorcerer at level 22 and the main difference is that I see 150+ people in leveling areas while we have parely a quarter of that on Republic Fleet.

In other words, the main problem I have on my Sage there are too few people PvPing, few to no premade on our side while Imperials have the luxury to run premades 24/7 and are on avarage also better geared.

If anything needs to be adressed with top priority in PvP, since the differnce is of absolute NO consequence in Ops, Flashpoints, Leveling and Grinding they need to adress server population imbalances first.

So in other words you just want to argue and be a pain. OK. But consider this...having a second or so less to fire a proc in addition to the damage delay, is a big deal to me. Why do I have a second less to use particle acceleration, or force potency. I see you just keep skipping over that...to ignore it is very stupid of you. And virtually no one likes pebblestorm...and no one serious about jedi "look and feel" likes junk throwing as the hallmark of the class. I see people say they like it because it reminds them of some super hero game...not of jedi in star wars.

Also, consider this...I agree about the faction imbalance. I refuse to play my 50 sage anymore and prefer my Sin to my Shadow...for the very reason that the look and feel of the jedi consulars is junk. I hate the pebbles, rocks, and junk. And I am not the only one. Not by a long shot. It is a joke. There is a reason there is such a huge faction imbalance in this game, and for me it starts with jedi being a junk throwing joke. And on top of that the junk throwing gimps the class with disadvantages that the other side of the mirror simply doesnt have...

What is really frustrating is that sith companions...friggin companions...have better animations to use then jedi players do...someone should get axed for this crap. Seriously.

Edited by MirrimFaranth

So in other words you just want to argue and be a pain. OK. But consider this...having a second or so less to fire a proc in addition to the damage delay, is a big deal to me. Why do I have a second less to use particle acceleration, or force potency. I see you just keep skipping over that...to ignore it is very stupid of you. And virtually no one likes pebblestorm...and no one serious about jedi "look and feel" likes junk throwing as the hallmark of the class. I see people say they like it because it reminds them of some super hero game...not of jedi in star wars.

Also, consider this...I agree about the faction imbalance. I refuse to play my 50 sage anymore and prefer my Sin to my Shadow...for the very reason that the look and feel of the jedi consulars is junk. I hate the pebbles, rocks, and junk. And I am not the only one. Not by a long shot. It is a joke. There is a reason there is such a huge faction imbalance in this game, and for me it starts with jedi being a junk throwing joke. And on top of that the junk throwing gimps the class with disadvantages that the other side of the mirror simply doesnt have...

What is really frustrating is that sith companions...friggin companions...have better animations to use then jedi players do...someone should get axed for this crap. Seriously.

I could say the same about you and your peers. Especially when I read this:

Something like that hurts my brain because it is so absolutely irrelevant and again purely subjective. I like my companions a lot all of them in any shape or form which of course proves nothing just mentioned it to show that it is a again a matter of pure personal preference and neither BW nor any other company can make everyone happy with everything. Tastes differ far too much for that.

It does not matter if it is a "big" problem for you. What counts is how much it affects PvP in a big group environment and you can be mad about it all you want but in the big picture the difference is and will always be neglegible.

If you had to give 1-100 points to each class and you give Sorc 100 then Sage is at 99.9. Yes the difference is that small regardless how much you exaggerate and how many anecdotal evidence you bring up and anecdotal evidence means absolutely nothing.

And I am sure aside from the population imbalances which are the biggest problem right now on an even server with a balanced population it the win/loss ratio would be nearly 50/50 overall.

Fine you enjoy your Sorc more what does that prove? Nothing. You know why?

I started my Sorc and Sage nearly same time and guess what? Sorc is 20 and Sage 50. All that purple lightning got boring so fast for me it isn't even funny anymore. I of course play him from time to time to advance a bit in the story and he might hit 21 in a few weeks.

So what now? Who is "right" in this case?

Edited by Vales

I could say the same about you and your peers. Especially when I read this:

Something like that hurts my brain because it is so absolutely irrelevant and again purely subjective. I like my companions a lot all of them in any shape or form which of course proves nothing just mentioned it to show that it is a again a matter of pure personal preference and neither BW nor any other company can make everyone happy with everything. Tastes differ far too much for that.

It does not matter if it is a "big" problem for you. What counts is how much it affects PvP in a big group environment and you can be mad about it all you want but in the big picture the difference is and will always be neglegible.

If you had to give 1-100 points to each class and you give Sorc 100 then Sage is at 99.9. Yes the difference is that small regardless how much you exaggerate and how many anecdotal evidence you bring up and anecdotal evidence means absolutely nothing.

And I am sure aside from the population imbalances which are the biggest problem right now on an even server with a balanced population it the win/loss ratio would be nearly 50/50 overall.

Fine you enjoy your Sorc more what does that prove? Nothing. You know why?

I started my Sorc and Sage nearly same time and guess what? Sorc is 20 and Sage 50. All that purple lightning got boring so fast for me it isn't even funny anymore. I of course play him from time to time to advance a bit in the story and he might hit 21 in a few weeks.

So what now? Who is "right" in this case?

Who? Anyone who can view six movies and use their fingers and toes to count out that if anyone is a junk thrower, it isnt jedi. This involves simple observation, math and counting skills. It really is that simple. Haven't you said you would be ok with an animatiom change and a delay removal? What makes my brain hurt is someone that will argue over nothing, and keep on arguing, post after post, when he isnt opposed to the underlying change that needs to happen...what makes my brain hurt is the stupidity of a jedi class based on junk throwing. Poorly conceived, delay ridden, environmentally wrong, junk throwing. Tastes differ but basic facts do not. Right now the jedi class skillset is based off of a skill used by sith much much more than jedi. As pointed out by the OP, there are at least two sith companions with animations that would be very good replacements for junk chunking. I haven't seen both of them in the game, but I have seen Ashara Zavros' and I like it.

You mentioned faction imbalance. It is something that really bothers me as well. As a former galaxies player, where essentially the same classes and the same factions existed, based off the same IP, that game never, ever saw the kind of faction imbalance this game has...why do you think that is? I know I have talked to a number of people who refuse to play consular because of the outfits and the ridiculous animations. And the numbers showing that imbalance dont lie...Now is too much lightning a problem for some people? Yep, I have seen that too, but there are no shortage of Sith players. Perhaps introducing alternate animations through the legacy system for some of the major, hallmark skills of the classes, like lightning and junk throwing, might be an approach to make more people happy. Give people animation alternatives. You make most people happy by giving them choice. But first you have to sync up the mirrors and get rid of the @#$% delay, which is much more easily done by replacing junk chunking.

The animation needs to change and the delay need to go. Again, it is that simple. The delay buggers up too many things...the damage/interrupts, the procs, the reaction time given to your enemy. The procs alone are a big big deal, which again you just keep ignoring...quite silly of you. Project is the "big hit" skill for shadows...or one of them...and it is also impacted by several talents for some sage builds. It is an integral skill.

Why don't you take some of the energy you put into needless banter and use it to promote positive change for the game. Present your own ideas.

Edited by MirrimFaranth

Lots of tl;dr here, so someone may have already said this, but, the Concular equivilant of crushing darkness might be a candidate for the thrown objects animation. Project definitely needs to change to something instant, at any rate. Throwing objects witth the dot might be kind of cool, similar to how some of the movie fight scenes went down, where Sith were fighting with their sabers at the same time objects continued to fly without any specific gestures or hand motions from them. Dooku did it. I'm trying to remember whether Vader did, or not. On that note, maybe it should replace Crushing Darkness and become a Sith ability. lol. You can be sure Bioware will keep that animation in the game somewhere not matter what. They had too much fun designing it. And besides...throwing **** is cool.....just not as a mirror ability to shock.

Hey there!

After careful consideration we're going to go ahead and re-open this thread. Please note that this thread is to discuss suggestions and share ideas as to how you'd like the Project and Throw animations to change. For those who wish to discuss the latest Project news, as well as speculation as to what it will be, please feel free to join in here:

Project is getting fixed!!!!!

Thanks and may the Force be with you!

Well since this issue is being addressed here are my thoughts.

Either it will be both delayed or both instant. I personaly like the current project but would perfer it to be more instant. id rather just see a chunk/ droid part launch directly from the ground to the target. it does not need to float in the air. if the change shock i would like to see lightning riple around the inq while they glow to make it obvious as our project.

As for TK throw. i think a pulsing force wave would be cool. Im sorry but getting critted for 2k from pebbles is effing silly.

Also our knock back isnt right. I think a more instant effect ahould be in place and we shouldnt be jumping likewe are tossing a temper tantrum. I think if the model stood straight up and threw their hands out to the side seems more dignified for a jedi.

Well since this issue is being addressed here are my thoughts.

Either it will be both delayed or both instant. I personaly like the current project but would perfer it to be more instant. id rather just see a chunk/ droid part launch directly from the ground to the target. it does not need to float in the air. if the change shock i would like to see lightning riple around the inq while they glow to make it obvious as our project.

As for TK throw. i think a pulsing force wave would be cool. Im sorry but getting critted for 2k from pebbles is effing silly.

Also our knock back isnt right. I think a more instant effect ahould be in place and we shouldnt be jumping likewe are tossing a temper tantrum. I think if the model stood straight up and threw their hands out to the side seems more dignified for a jedi.

Our knock back would be much cooler if it was a simple kneel down and touch the ground...instant...im picturing what jeff bridges did in tron legacy in the club, where he just knelt down and touched the floor...simple, elegant, effective.