So why Revan is "he" ?

alexzk

Just replayed KOTOR-2. Everywhere Revan was mantioned "she" + Onassi fall in love with her (it seems).

So why do we have HE here ?

Actually I have suggestion that KOTOR-2 picks Revan's sex same as player then it could explain, because I never played male. Can somebody confirm he saw Revan "he" in kotor-2 ?

Edited by alexzk

Just replayed KOTOR-2. Everywhere Revan was mantioned "she" + Onassi fall in love with her (it seems).

So why do we have HE here ?

Actually I have suggestion that KOTOR-2 picks Revan's sex same as player then it could explain, because I never played male. Can somebody confirm he saw Revan "he" in kotor-2 ?

Because during your first conversation with Atton in the holding cell on Peragus Station you can pick Revan's sex. Atton says something about the females being the worst and you can either reply in the affirmative or correct him, saying something along the lines about how long has he been in there because Revan was male. If you set Revan as male and light then he romances Bastila, and if he is set to female then she romances Carth. Revan's sex was canonically set in Drew Karpyshyn's novella Revan, published 2011.

Edited by ceryxp

You could choose during the character creation what sex Revan is going to have. Revan could be male or female.

The canonical gender of Revan was established by The New Essential Chronology and the Chronicles of the Old Republic as male, and all further material has referred to the character as male with the exception of Knights of the Old Republic's sequel, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, in which the player can choose Revan's gender and alignment. Revan also appears in a vision to the player character, the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik, in the depths of Korriban's tombs.

Revan appears in the 2011 video game Star Wars: The Old Republic, also by BioWare and LucasArts, where he was voiced by Jeff Bennett. The Old Republic: Revan, a tie-in novel to The Old Republic by Drew Karpyshyn explains what happened to Revan and the Exile after the events of the two games. While creating the initial story of Revan, BioWare's game designers realized they needed a good antagonist, and they developed the character of Darth Malak to explain how and why Revan lost his powers and memories. With the release of The Old Republic, Lucasfilm Ltd. executive Leland Chee confirmed at Celebration VI that Revan's appearance in The Old Republic established the character's canonical appearance in Knights of the Old Republic as the character model with a mullet hairstyle.Revan is the focus of a series of four interconnected Flashpoints, or group raids, that end with Revan disappearing in a flash of violet light. Revan's survival was finally confirmed in the "Legacy of the Rakata" Flashpoint that was released in The Old Republic's Game Update 2.9, and he appears as the primary antagonist of the Digital Expansion Shadow of Revan, where he serves as the final boss of the Yavin storyline and the Temple of Sacrifice Operation.

Quote is from https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Revan

• 1 month later...

Because one writer who was salty about not getting his way in the actual game got to have his way in a separate spinoff book. Most of the people responsible for KOTOR's story left and then that one writer had the power to force his incorrect flawed vision on the writing staff.

KOTOR makes much more sense if you consider Revan to be a girl because that explains why Malak fell. He fell because he gave in to love, the one corrupting emotion that Jedi are most warned against. Malak followed his lover Revan even though he was aware from the start that what they were doing was wrong. He followed Revan because his love for Revan overpowered all his other considerations.

Just as Kotor 2's protagonist makes vastly more sense as a man than a woman. Attris was very clearly the jilted lover. Everything she did was so obviously done because she felt that the love of her life abandoned her by abandoning the Jedi. When he shoved that lightsaber into the pedestal in front of the Jedi Council Attris felt like he had shoved that lightsaber into her own heart.

Edited by Ellisande

Because one writer who was salty about not getting his way in the actual game got to have his way in a separate spinoff book. Most of the people responsible for KOTOR's story left and then that one writer had the power to force his incorrect flawed vision on the writing staff.

Why do you think Drew is salty about anything? It wasn't his decision to canonize Revan as a male in the Revan novel, that had already been done years before in the 2006 Atlas for Star Wars which canonized Revan as a Light-Side male.

KOTOR makes much more sense if you consider Revan to be a girl because that explains why Malak fell. He fell because he gave in to love, the one corrupting emotion that Jedi are most warned against. Malak followed his lover Revan even though he was aware from the start that what they were doing was wrong. He followed Revan because his love for Revan overpowered all his other considerations.

Just as Kotor 2's protagonist makes vastly more sense as a man than a woman. Attris was very clearly the jilted lover. Everything she did was so obviously done because she felt that the love of her life abandoned her by abandoning the Jedi. When he shoved that lightsaber into the pedestal in front of the Jedi Council Attris felt like he had shoved that lightsaber into her own heart.

I feel I need to remind you that head-canon != actual lore.

At no point was Malak ever established as having a romantic relationship with fem-Revan

Also, considering the relative roles of Bastila and Carth in KOTOR, Revan being male makes sense (the whole "saved by love" routine so popular in SW).

As for KOTOR 2, same thing. No evidence whatsoever of a romantic relationship there.

No idea where you get the salty writer thing from

No idea where you get the salty writer thing from

Probably other people, I've heard a lot of angry KOTORians claiming Drew is somehow salty at either KOTOR II or at the fans and decided to "ruin" Revan by making a canon version of him... even though it was Lucasfilm years before the novel even came out. They can be angry at how Drew wrote the novel yadah yadah but I love people blaming him for something he had nothing to do with(That being Revan being canonized as a light side male).

Probably other people, I've heard a lot of angry KOTORians claiming Drew is somehow salty at either KOTOR II or at the fans and decided to "ruin" Revan by making a canon version of him... even though it was Lucasfilm years before the novel even came out. They can be angry at how Drew wrote the novel yadah yadah but I love people blaming him for something he had nothing to do with(That being Revan being canonized as a light side male).

I never thought he was salty, I just read that he never played kotor2 and didn't really care about the characters. Lucasarts gave him the job to write the book, just as lucasarts has given others writers books when they'd actually prefer to be writing non-derivative fiction. I don't blame him for that, it was just badly written and poorly researched. Compare it to RA Salvatore, a non-SW writer, who took so much flak for Vector Prime, but he obviously did read other EU books and cared about his characters.

No, I don't believe for a moment that there was some romantic twist with malak and revan. I could buy the idea of sexual tension though, but it wouldn't have to be hetero.

What they should have done, even though [or alternatively, BECAUSE] it would enrage the largely conservative Star Wars fanbase, is make Revan and/or the Exile trans. They could identify as male or female, and it would explain canonical confusion about their gender. It would please the SJWs who want notable characters to have diversity, not just obscure no-names, and, as I say, a vocal minority of neckbeards would go absolutely bonkers. Win-win.

I never thought he was salty, I just read that he never played kotor2 and didn't really care about the characters. Lucasarts gave him the job to write the book, just as lucasarts has given others writers books when they'd actually prefer to be writing non-derivative fiction. I don't blame him for that, it was just badly written and poorly researched. Compare it to RA Salvatore, a non-SW writer, who took so much flak for Vector Prime, but he obviously did read other EU books and cared about his characters.

While I'm probably one of the few beings in existence who do enjoy the novel I do agree that when it comes to KOTOR II it felt lacking... I don't mind the characterization for Meetra Surik however the lack of references to what happened in KOTOR II (Just one paragraph about the events? Really?), no goodbye scene with the companions or even discussing what happened with them... it would've been nice if they had Avellone as a creative consultant or something though I'm not sure that would've even been possible considering he'd likely be busy with Fallout:New Vegas at the time. Nevermind the fact back them they were from different companies so it would've been hard to do it.

You do know you can love a friend as much as you can have a lover right. I have known friends that would follow their friend as well. You don't have to have a romantic relationship to care for a friend and follow your friend over what you may think is wrong. It happens. So no I don't think it would matter whether Revan was a female or male when Malak fell. They were close friends and you do things for friends like that you wouldn't do for casual friends.

Not necessarily, you can feel betrayed by a close friend just as much. She could have had a close friendship and when this happened it hurt her because they were close friends. I have experience that on behalf of a friend. I thought she was a dear friend and then she betrayed me and it cut deep, just as what I would imagine Attris felt when her friend betrayed her and the Jedi Council.