Star Wars Squadrons new dogfighting game coming in fall

ThutmoseV

This game is scheduled to be released Oct. 2 this fall. There is supposed to be more details about game play revealed June 18.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-squadrons

I suspect that I will need a different controller to play this on PC. I also suspect that it will be a more difficult learning curve, at least for me, than GSF. However I also suspect that PvP play will be more even since there should be a much larger group of players to match skill and experience levels.

I find the lack of starfighter variety disturbing, especially since GSF offers more for free with the exception of the prettier graphics.

But that's okay, because it has the flAshfire-Wing, and that's the only ship that matters.

I really wish they did more with Squadrons, but I don't expect much from EA. The lack of actual starfighters in a starfighter-based game only solidifies that belief. A mere 5v5 battles from what I can tell, and a single player campaign that means nothing to me because it is Disneyverse, which I don't follow.

They should have made Squadrons a much bigger game, otherwise it is simply going to be another "game mode," and we already have game modes as starfighter-esque content ...in like two other games that EA has hardly supported (or maybe the development studios under its wing just suck?) so I don't know what the heck they're trying to achieve with this other than a quick buck.

Just HOW anyone can be negative about what information we have so far is beyond me, this game looks incredible! Just what most of us GSF'ers wanted for the longest time, not just a tiny gamemode in a larger game that gets 0 attention whatsoever, but a standalone with full focus on just that.

Luckily they unveiled this "late" in the development, because the 3 months ish we have to wait is tooooo long already :D

RIP GSF community lol.

I highly doubt this will change to much. I'm sure some people will go over to play that game, but I'm also sure people will still play swtor and thus GSF.

Personally I'm not buying the hype. All of EA's games seem to get so much hype, then the games come out and for the most part get trashed by the community for it. The only 2 games that seem to have been a success for EA when it comes to SW is Swtor, and maybe Fallen Order so far in all of the time that EA has had the license.

Edited by Toraak

I highly doubt this will change to much. I'm sure some people will go over to play that game, but I'm also sure people will still play swtor and thus GSF.

Personally I'm not buying the hype. All of EA's games seem to get so much hype, then the games come out and for the most part get trashed by the community for it. The only 2 games that seem to have been a success for EA when it comes to SW is Swtor, and maybe Fallen Order so far in all of the time that EA has had the license.

If its as in depth as the trailer claims? GSF's tiny communtiy will turn into basically being dead. Also, despite the backlash, both the batllefront games were successful.

If its as in depth as the trailer claims? GSF's tiny communtiy will turn into basically being dead.

I doubt that. Maybe pops will get a bit slower if Squadrons is like, the definitive Star Wars flight experience.

Also, despite the backlash, both the batllefront games were successful.

And certainly didn't affect GSF pops in any way. Granted, Squadrons actually might, it's very much an arcade space flight sim, the same genre as GSF, but with some different takes (such as what sounds like proper HOTAS support).

Granted, Squadrons actually might, it's very much an arcade space flight sim, the same genre as GSF, but with some different takes (such as what sounds like proper HOTAS support).

That's my dilemma, of course. My HOTAS sits unused at the moment, but my only VR headset is my PS VR. Not sure I want to spend the money on a PC compatible VR headset, that may or may not require me to upgrade my gpu's or even the whole dang computer, just to be able to use my HOTAS on a star wars arcade flight sim.

I bet m+kb is gonna be the superior controller solution for Squadrons, as long as we talking about PC pilot not in VR. Even in Elite, more and more pvp'ers are turning their HOTAS into 200 dollar paper weights and rolling with m+kb instead. You lose in immersion, gain in accuracy.

Ofc, this requires a well done m+kb solution. Im sure folks working on Squadrons are taking notes from GSF and Elite here. m+kb in both is quite similar and works great.

Edited by Stradlin

• 1 month later...

Keyboard and mouse is only optimal if you do something like what GSF has done, and artificially deny the pilot direct control of the ship, while granting highly gimballed weapons. Denying direct control of the throttle can make buttons superior to a real throttle as well. Basically, if you prevent the HOTAS or controller player from using his device to its fullest potential- as most games currently do- then keyboard plus mouse can be optimal. Bonus points for granting special powers only available to the keyboard and mouse player.

Squadrons has the benefit of being developed for consoles, so it is unlikely that they will go out of their way to nerf pitch and yaw analog inputs, and they seem to be delivering direct control over your angling. By contrast the game seems to have a very slow roll speed (similar to GSF, not at all similar to a realworld plane) and little benefit to an analog throttle, so my guess at this point is that the important points of controller and HOTAS won't be nerfed, and the mouse+keyboard doesn't seem to be given cheatyface abilities. This means that the likely best control scheme will be a standard Xbone controller, possibly a HOTAS, and definitely (and hopefully) not mouse and keyboard.

Edited by Verain

Tend to agree with Verain. Squadrons looks like it's mostly got X-wing series DNA. Better graphics, boost, though I'm not sure to what extent that's a way to avoid flying 15 min to get to the battle and to what extent it's supposed to speed up tactical play. The samples I've seen showed it being used for travel, but I've no idea if the person playing has played games like GSF and know how powerful it can be tactically. Tactical use is also somewhat dependent on specific mechanics: boost regen, onset rate, exit rate, etc.

Fundamentally it looks to me like a stick and throttle game, at least at first glance. They've clearly though about not limiting it to HOTAS, and even not crippling non-pilots. Looks like there's auto-aim and some other features to help out people who don't know how to fly and how to shoot. Will be interesting to see how much of an aid they are in terms of play balance.

It's definitely very different from the GSF model where you have on/off roll and a gun turret for pitch and yaw where the ship chases the gun with quite a bit of lag.

Again, I don't know about the previewer player skill levels, but from what I saw it looks like manual aim accuracy rates might be more along the lines of X-wing style play. So figure may half of what we see from a skilled pilot in GSF.

I think it will be a different feel. Sort of like X-Wing with a few dashes of GSF to spice up pace of play. It also looks like they're at least trying to avoid excessive discouragement in terms of new players getting crushed by aces. Sure, they'll still get crushed, as happens in any game, but it looks like the developers are hoping for "At least I hit him a few times before I died" instead of "I spawned and exploded. I don't know what happened but I do know I didn't like it."

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic. Is it possible that developers of a Star Wars franchise game are, *gasp*, actually learning from the experiences of other games? But after good ideas there's also implementation, hence the caution.