Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

We care about the bigger issues as much as they have shown to care about us

Just saying, don't get your hopes up anymore is all - I think we've all been disappointed by the slow pace of progress and response time from the developers, and it's time to seriously figure out what to do with our wallets and time, rather than waste our efforts trying to elicit a favorable response from the devs - it's out of their hands as much as it is out of ours.

Edited by iheartnyc

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be blunt, it's very naive (and possibly unintelligent) to expect EA to violate their fiduciary duties to its shareholders and violate their legal obligations by selectively disclosing material non-public information to you on a message board.

Just as an aside, I don't think the profitability of 3 servers for a small market within a single game within EA's entire portfolio would be considered material. I would question any investor who were to consider this information pertinent to whether they hold, buy or sell any EA securities.

Now back on topic for you all to keep yelling at each other.

:)

If we're really honest I think the one super server would have been profitable for EAware, however its just not profitable enough for them to justify spending more resources doing the mergers - which is the real kicker.

You'd also think they would be willing to think more about benefits to the company other than monetary ones - especially considering their latest awards.

Just as an aside, I don't think the profitability of 3 servers for a small market within a single game within EA's entire portfolio would be considered material. I would question any investor who were to consider this information pertinent to whether they hold, buy or sell any EA securities.

Now back on topic for you all to keep yelling at each other.

:)

Yeah we just don't know exactly how much these APAC servers cost. We do know that EA saved millions of dollars in a 3-month period after their massive server merges last year. It could be part of a company wide cust-cotting effort and could also be related to the CEO resigning last month. Whatever the case, if costs are the true reason, EA would never admit that to us.

so when is the merge happening?

Didn't you ask this already? maybe you only read some posts and missed where this has been asked about 20 times... no one knows, they don't even have the tech yet, hopefully not for a long time.

I'm a little more cynical, I feel they simply did not want to pay to run the servers out here and that's fair enough they should man up and admit it.

I agree with that. I believe that they're not going to merge aussie servers because it's not financially viable. I get that. I just wish they were up front about that.

Yeah exactly. Most people understand this.

What most people, me included, seem to be annoyed about is the way they are trying to spin it. If they had just said 'we're closing it down, not making any profit from it, can't support the server costs any longer given the player base on all 3 servers' I think most people would react like this:

'well that sucks, but fair enough.'

Definately this

Didn't you ask this already? maybe you only read some posts and missed where this has been asked about 20 times... no one knows, they don't even have the tech yet, hopefully not for a long time.

Haven't got the tech yet = too lazy to do the transfers.

They could move us from America and Europe a year ago, and to different server types, but that ancient technology seems to be lost forever.

Haven't got the tech yet = too lazy to do the transfers.

They could move us from America and Europe a year ago, and to different server types, but that ancient technology seems to be lost forever.

If I remember correctly this was done manually, they are working on an automatic transfer system. The copy system for the PTS was not working 100%. So they still have work to do.

I have over 50 days played on Master D (that was my last count in December)...I think I've been around long enough :rolleyes:

For the record, MDN was not the nicest place that you are all seeming to remember with rose-tinted glasses. Some of us got along very well. Others were plain nasty. Lots of griefing and ganking and **** talking in game. Hence, the massive exodus of players from MDN since 1.2.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't. I would rather the hostile community than playing on high latency. But thats never been a problem for you has it, your latency is crap to both Aus and US. And the servers have been fine TYVM since you left. If anything its gotten better since ROTC. Actual new content after waiting 7 months.

Edited by MouldyCrow

Rolled a new toon last night on Harbringer, funnily enough my latency has dropped from 340 to 220 so that was nice... still went up in combat, my instants still didn't fire immediately.

In the first 5 mins there was two gold sellers, and two people we telling him he charged to much, foul chat, and a dude following me around with dueling requests, and then another waiting until I got in combat and then running in to take my quest items... less than impressed.

Oh and the time that I normally play there was 40 people in fleet.

Whilst I admit the experience WASN'T ALL bad it was enough to reinforce that I really don't want to move.

The one thing that I am dreading above all else is the community, we have a good one on Dalborra with only a few exceptions, if last night was anything to go by it doesn't exist on Harbringer... I will try again tonight.

Rolled a new toon last night on Harbringer, funnily enough my latency has dropped from 340 to 220 so that was nice... still went up in combat, my instants still didn't fire immediately.

In the first 5 mins there was two gold sellers, and two people we telling him he charged to much, foul chat, and a dude following me around with dueling requests, and then another waiting until I got in combat and then running in to take my quest items... less than impressed.

Oh and the time that I normally play there was 40 people in fleet.

Whilst I admit the experience WASN'T ALL bad it was enough to reinforce that I really don't want to move.

The one thing that I am dreading above all else is the community, we have a good one on Dalborra with only a few exceptions, if last night was anything to go by it doesn't exist on Harbringer... I will try again tonight.

I have toons on the Harbinger also and I have to agree with you, as my experiences when I'm on there are negative 50%+ of the time. Where this is due to a higher percentage of annoying ppl or that the pop is that big you come across them more often, I can't say. But what I can say for sure is I don't want to be forced to play there.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't. I would rather the hostile community than playing on high latency. But thats never been a problem for you has it, your latency is crap to both Aus and US. And the servers have been fine TYVM since you left. If anything its gotten better since ROTC. Actual new content after waiting 7 months.

Well, the vast majority of the APAC community disagreed with you and unsubbed from the game between 1.2 and 1.4 :rolleyes:

Edited by iheartnyc

Well, the vast majority of the APAC community disagreed with you and unsubbed from the game between 1.2 and 1.4 :rolleyes:

That was mostly due to the lack of new content and the removal of Ilum world pvp. Some ppl left the pop shrank which caused more to leave and it just snowballed from there. It was also true for the game in general not just the APAC servers, hence the server merges for the US and EU.

Edited by ChuangTzu

Have a look at this Harbinger Server thread... they have been having crashes and problems since the 10th April...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6140542#post6140542

I have posted on the thread to let those people on Harbinger about our APAC forced mergers with them < in case they didn't know >

Imagine how bad the Harbinger server will be if 1000+ accounts were merged with it??

Anyway I have asked them to sign our petition and voice any of their concerns to Bio in their thread or to start another. Maybe, just maybe, Bio will start to listen if the north Americans start to rally against the merge.

Petition now over 900... way to go guys :)

If you haven't already, please sign the petition to save our APAC server

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html