Best DPS Class

beefyandbeef

So basically I just want to race to 50 with a certain class... I have taken my time with healers and tanks before and it can get pretty slow. So for me, I'm here for star wars and not the story, I have listened to the story and all, but only for the MAIN quest and not any of the little boring stuff....

So I am basically wondering what is the BEST class to just race through the trash mobs and side quests?

I would appreciate any comments yet I'm NOT interested to hear, "Just slow down man and enjoy the game!"

If you just want to blitz through solo PvE, I would go with Commando / Merc. You will have all the AOE you can handle, which will make plowing through the shedloads of trash packs at all levels go as quick as possible. You will especially appreciate the AOE damage when you hit Makeb.

To really make the most of this, go with DPS spec and a DPS companion. Since you are experienced with other classes already, you should be able to make this work very efficiently.

I know that the Sniper / Gunslinger also have AOE specs, but I am not that familiar with them as I have only played their healing ACs and not DPS. However, they do have the upside of having an unquestioned reputation for being at the top of the heap when it comes to sustained PvE DPS at endgame, and you might be very glad for that when it comes time to do the 50-55 gear grind.

On the other hand, Merc / Commando can also heal, and if you at some point decide you just can't stand doing the leveling planets anymore and want to grind flashpoints instead, then you might be glad you have the option to switch to heal spec. But that doesn't make them "better" DPS classes, just DPS classes that have the option to not DPS if you want.

Edited by Heezdedjim

If you just want to blitz through solo PvE, I would go with Commando / Merc. You will have all the AOE you can handle, which will make plowing through the shedloads of trash packs at all levels go as quick as possible. You will especially appreciate the AOE damage when you hit Makeb.

To really make the most of this, go with DPS spec and a DPS companion. Since you are experienced with other classes already, you should be able to make this work very efficiently.

I know that the Sniper / Gunslinger also have AOE specs, but I am not that familiar with them as I have only played their healing ACs and not DPS. However, they do have the upside of having an unquestioned reputation for being at the top of the heap when it comes to sustained PvE DPS at endgame, and you might be very glad for that when it comes time to do the 50-55 gear grind.

On the other hand, Merc / Commando can also heal, and if you at some point decide you just can't stand doing the leveling planets anymore and want to grind flashpoints instead, then you might be glad you have the option to switch to heal spec. But that doesn't make them "better" DPS classes, just DPS classes that have the option to not DPS if you want.

Okay, yet I had a level 26 merc before 2.0 and I wasn't really feeling like I was burning through mobs. Did 2.0 make them better?

Sniper/Gunslinger for ranged DPS.

Sentinel/Marauder for melee DPS.

Most classes start coming into their own at around level 25-30, that's when you will feel a big difference among the classes. Before that, you're just some random guy/girl shooting/smakcing stuff.

Sniper is not that fast to level, in the late 30's it slows down a bit.

I think shadow/Assassin and Merc are the fastest, as you can stealth and kill things quick and merc just plows through in the late 20's and once you get your other non mako comp it goes by quicker

I enjoyed Gunslinger, the middle tree allows for Thermal Grenade to be tossed every other ability which burns through weaks and normals. However, their great AOE won't come until later on.

Leveling Sentinel in Focus spec was also wonderful as Force Sweep took care of everything really quickly, and the awesome defensive cooldowns allowed me to solo lots of higher level content on each planet.

I found Scoundrel and Commando to be quick just because they're good DPS and can heal, so if I wanted to do a FP for some extra XP I'd just respec heals for faster queues. Scoundrel also allowed the option to stealth by as well, allowing me to breeze through content I over-leveled from running flashpoints.

Edited by AngelFluttershy

Always go with the classes that have all 3 specs as DPS like Sent/Mar Snipe/Gun. One of those 3 should always be iat the top of the DPS leaderboards because that's all they can do. It's a broken game if it isn't since the others get the added bonus of armor or healing.

My fastest toon to level was an Assault Vanguard but I can see the argument for Commando instead (range and spammable AoE). I found the Assault VG to have excellent single target burst for strongs and elites while also packing a tonne of AoE for mowing down groups and some 30m abilities for the outliers that pain Knight ACs. It doesn't really come into its own until you get Ionic Accelerator at 25 and the rotation can be a little boring for some people. Fair warning though, Commando is the one AC I've never played so I can't provide on a true comparison.

My fastest toon to level was an Assault Vanguard but I can see the argument for Commando instead (range and spammable AoE). I found the Assault VG to have excellent single target burst for strongs and elites while also packing a tonne of AoE for mowing down groups and some 30m abilities for the outliers that pain Knight ACs. It doesn't really come into its own until you get Ionic Accelerator at 25 and the rotation can be a little boring for some people. Fair warning though, Commando is the one AC I've never played so I can't provide on a true comparison.

Hmm, I leveled a tank vanguard to level 50 at launch yet I didn't feel like I was moving that fast. I am sure that the DPS is a lot faster yet I am not really interested in doing the same class...

Most classes start coming into their own at around level 25-30, that's when you will feel a big difference among the classes. Before that, you're just some random guy/girl shooting/smakcing stuff.

I enjoyed Gunslinger, the middle tree allows for Thermal Grenade to be tossed every other ability which burns through weaks and normals. However, their great AOE won't come until later on.

Leveling Sentinel in Focus spec was also wonderful as Force Sweep took care of everything really quickly, and the awesome defensive cooldowns allowed me to solo lots of higher level content on each planet.

So I've got two here that say sniper and sentinel are the best. I am leaning towards sniper due to its cover system and ranged attacks....

Sniper is not that fast to level, in the late 30's it slows down a bit.

I think shadow/Assassin and Merc are the fastest, as you can stealth and kill things quick and merc just plows through in the late 20's and once you get your other non mako comp it goes by quicker

Yet you seam to say sniper is not very good?

Sniper is a great class, but for the quick levels it was not there compared to say Merc or a class with stealth.

I used the Middle tree for great AOE skills, i loved them, but how ever there were times I would die too much, like on Taris, even with great AOE sometimes hate would be too much or the adds, as Sniper cannot take any dmg unless you bring your healer and I pretty much used Temple to take things down quicker, but when I was ina pickle, I was in a pickle and died...lol

Sniper is a great class, but for the quick levels it was not there compared to say Merc or a class with stealth.

I used the Middle tree for great AOE skills, i loved them, but how ever there were times I would die too much, like on Taris, even with great AOE sometimes hate would be too much or the adds, as Sniper cannot take any dmg unless you bring your healer and I pretty much used Temple to take things down quicker, but when I was ina pickle, I was in a pickle and died...lol

Well, you got me curious so I guess I'll roll one since the cathar just came out... Cathar sniper, who knows, could be awesome!

For pure speed it is definitely sentinel focus spec until 45 or so then watchman.

Few reasons why :

1) Leap

2) Transcendence

3) Self heals around Voss/Corellia

4) Much less time spent healing thanks to defensive CDs.

Sniper cannot even touch a focus sentinel for pure speed.

• 1 month later...

Me, I have played Sniper and merc for me merc was much much better:wea_02:

So i think you should just play merc not sniper. Reasons:

1.) Sniper very hard to lvl in 25 to 30

2.) Merc super good dps

Sorcerer/ sage.

You start of with a tank companion you can use throughout the game.

Strong aoe

0 to none recourse management.

once you get force storm (i believe at 34-35) The rest of the fights are either forcestorming normals> finish strongs

or kill the elites.

+ having bubble and heal gives you tools to keep your companion alive longer should it be needed.

Don't beleive this here, I have a 55 Sentinel and my son leveled a Shadow. In comparison I am wishing, I would have leveled a Shadow along with him, as I find the Sentinel's dps rotation and buffs to do so taxing.

Shadow do more damage, have a number of CC that is really "instant" and not as buggy as the sentinels.

• 1 month later...

For Melee DPS it's obiously Marauder.

Now for Range DPS I have my oppinions. To be honest I like Sniper that deal massive damage but it's activation times and cooldowns are pretty slow. My sniper max hit was around 10k with "Ambush". On the other hand I prefer Sorcerers DPS (Madness especially) because they deal really hard damage and it's cooldowns are fast.. With my Mercenary I have no experience at all, though I heardthey deal good damage too.

Overall my favourite Range DPS class is Sorcerer.

Operatives/Scoundrels or Assassin/Shadow are the ones that I personally have found to be the fastest to level since you are able to stealth skip ****loads of stuff and thus not wasting time killing mobs (quests rewards gives more exp). A Assassin DPS is slight weak in endgame, same with scoundrel, but if you are a good player and make sure to train rotations, you will be able to compete at the highest level. But for levelling, I think that these two classes, of course, played as DPS or a well thought out hybrid is an amazing choice.

For Melee DPS it's obiously Marauder.

Now for Range DPS I have my oppinions. To be honest I like Sniper that deal massive damage but it's activation times and cooldowns are pretty slow. My sniper max hit was around 10k with "Ambush". On the other hand I prefer Sorcerers DPS (Madness especially) because they deal really hard damage and it's cooldowns are fast.. With my Mercenary I have no experience at all, though I heardthey deal good damage too.

Overall my favourite Range DPS class is Sorcerer.

You got on a necro roll today.

• 6 months later...
Assassin/Shadow . Their DPS is amazing , can stealth (reduce the amount of time spend on a Quest , by a lot .) , High survivability. If you skip 'trashers' , then get Nadia Geared (for Shadow's) and Ashara (for Assassin's) , once you unlocked Xalek , use him (He's the BEST Companion InGame .)

Assassin/Shadow . Their DPS is amazing , can stealth (reduce the amount of time spend on a Quest , by a lot .) , High survivability. If you skip 'trashers' , then get Nadia Geared (for Shadow's) and Ashara (for Assassin's) , once you unlocked Xalek , use him (He's the BEST Companion InGame .)

Nice Necro.

As far as leveling goes and endgame dps the fastest dps class to level by far is Operative lethality has very nice aoe (much better than any of the crap assassins have) and you have stealth to skip tons of crap. Plus your off heals means you can basically lol at everything.

Also it along with pyro mercs are right now the best endgame dps in game. (raw numbers wise)