Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple guide to gearing 6.0

TrixxieTriss
10.27.2019 , 05:16 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurton View Post
Nice post except the "don't buy stuff from vendors". I strongly disagree with this. I personally recommend to oftenly check your stuff and replace the lowest items you have between FPs. I think this is the most efficient way for 2 reasons :
  • Tech frags are really easy to get, with a lot of available sources (even if the high end vendor request 3k of them for an item. However, your max is 5k)
  • 2 or 3 items can heavily lower you global iRating. You can easily get 2 or 3 irating just by switching these items with upper ones.

Regards
You could be right with those tech frags because it seems your gear progression can stall around 280-282 if you aren’t pushing hard enough. So spending 350 tech frags might help in that situation.
Personally I pushed through by doing some solo vet flash points (instead of group) and it seemed to push me over the “hump”. Once I hit 284, the purple stuff started to flow thick and fast.

So far I’ve purchased 2 pieces of set bonus gear for 3000 tech frags each, but I’ve got them on an Alt I don’t play so the timer to refund doesn’t run out. That way I can effectively store them till I’m ready to spend them the way I want at 306.

The 5000 tech frag limit is really a pain and not necessary. We told Bioware that people would just do what I’m doing to store extra tech frags and it’s only going to be an inconvenience for most people. We used to do the same with pvp comms and kept asking for Bioware to up the limit. Eventually they gave us the ability to buy “comm tokens” to store the excess comms and we could transfer them to other Alts. It would be simpler this time if they just upped the comm limit to 100,000 or even 999,999 because eventually people are going to be fully geared and won’t have anything to keep spending them on.

Lunafox
10.27.2019 , 05:44 PM | #12
Thanks, Trixxie, I appreciate you taking the time to put it all down. It's very helpful. <3
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

Kurton
10.27.2019 , 06:23 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
You could be right with those tech frags because it seems your gear progression can stall around 280-282 if you aren’t pushing hard enough. So spending 350 tech frags might help in that situation.
Personally I pushed through by doing some solo vet flash points (instead of group) and it seemed to push me over the “hump”. Once I hit 284, the purple stuff started to flow thick and fast.

So far I’ve purchased 2 pieces of set bonus gear for 3000 tech frags each, but I’ve got them on an Alt I don’t play so the timer to refund doesn’t run out. That way I can effectively store them till I’m ready to spend them the way I want at 306.

The 5000 tech frag limit is really a pain and not necessary. We told Bioware that people would just do what I’m doing to store extra tech frags and it’s only going to be an inconvenience for most people. We used to do the same with pvp comms and kept asking for Bioware to up the limit. Eventually they gave us the ability to buy “comm tokens” to store the excess comms and we could transfer them to other Alts. It would be simpler this time if they just upped the comm limit to 100,000 or even 999,999 because eventually people are going to be fully geared and won’t have anything to keep spending them on.
I noticed the same thing. I was not saying to spend all of your tech frags on this vendor but to boost you irating if necessary since you can stall at some point. You have to be very unlucky (but hey, I am very unlucky ). Stuff is distributed in irating tiers. For example, when you hit irating 284, you get 286 stuff and if you're lucky, 288. However, at each higher part of each tier, you can stall (the thing you noticed @280-282). Actually, my recommandation is to break this kind of tier wall by replacing your lowest items with this vendor so that the irating progression can start over.

Regards

Edit : actually, to be more precise : there are 2 sources of stuff in activities : random drops and specific "drops" e.g. stuff dropping from bosses and crates you gain in activities. Only the stuff coming from specific drops seems to be tied to the irating tier system from my experience. Actually, this rule seems to be right in nearly all situations, except in rare cases. Still accumulating data to check and validate my observations.

TrixxieTriss
10.27.2019 , 06:51 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks, Trixxie, I appreciate you taking the time to put it all down. It's very helpful. <3
You’re welcome.

Also here is a post I made in the pvp section about gearing faster in flash points,

MM will gear you the fastest. 2-4 Man Vet will let you complete the FP faster than solo, but you can often have your iRating held up if everyone is out of sync in iRating (I’ll explain below). Sometimes doing a few solo Vets will help get you over a gear hump you may be stuck at.

There are outliers that can also affect your gearing speed, ie, if you are in a group with higher geared people, you will gear up faster because it will drop more of the higher gear than people at your own gear rating.
(This can be good to help friends or others gear up faster. If you’re a nice person )
If you are in a group with lower geared players, you will gear more slowly because it will drop more gear at the same lvl you are at or lower. (Once again, it’s always nice to help people out doing this a little bit).

As you can see, it’s not as simple as just running random flash points to gear the fastest, although running them in an optimised way will gear you faster than any other content.

Also, if you haven’t started gearing up yet or not even at lvl 75, start running treasure hunting grade 10 lock box missions (if you have TH). This will drop 272-278 iRated gear to give you a boost at the start. You can do this on any Alt who has TH, it doesn’t matter wether they are lvl 10 or lvl 75. All the gear is legacy bound, so just put it in your legacy storage.. I’ve 11 TH Alts with lvl 50 comps, so this took me about 45 mins to get all 276 gear. This is a good booster because you don’t have to grind 270-276 gear, which can save you some hours.

Damask_Rose
10.27.2019 , 09:23 PM | #15
Question about #8. What content are you doing that you are getting 268 gear before 75? I've been doing the new story, Rakghoul event and s smattering of heroic Star Fortresses and heroics and haven't had a single drop over 230 out side of the story line quest rewards.

merovejec
10.27.2019 , 10:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
Question about #8. What content are you doing that you are getting 268 gear before 75? I've been doing the new story, Rakghoul event and s smattering of heroic Star Fortresses and heroics and haven't had a single drop over 230 out side of the story line quest rewards.
I actually dont get that one, but you will get a full 268 gear set when you do the Onderon/Mek Sha story, which takes really like 30 min if you spacebar it all. Then you are ready to go and start earning 270 gear.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

Void_Singer
10.28.2019 , 01:25 AM | #17
[...]
** note ** : you no longer have specific armoring, mods or enhancements locked to gear or slot type. So you can rip out internals from any piece to create another. ie, Rip out the armoring out of a belt, mod from a glove and enhancement from a chest to make a leg piece.[...]
WOO HOO no more slot locking.... this just solved so many gear building problems....

extra leg at current level, no problem, rip out modifcations and throw them in that under leveled chest piece...

thank you for checking that, hadn't gotten that far

sharkfishman
10.28.2019 , 01:43 AM | #18
How the heck is anyone getting the millions needed to purchase the set bonus pieces with the severe nerf to mission rewards and the high increases to repairs? I used to pull around 800k-1 mil on a good night. Now, I find my credits either staying static or going down gradually.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

TrixxieTriss
10.28.2019 , 08:08 AM | #19
Ok, so I’m at 305 iRating now after running red reaper master mode flash point with my wife for 12 hours

What I’ve discovered is at some points you will run into a blockage with your gear. Usually around 282 and 300 things slow right down. When it does, double check all of your gear and make sure no mods, armoring, enhancements are holding you back by being below your iRating.

The other thing is how expensive gearing up is if you want to rip out internals to keep pushing your gear rating up. I easily spent 12 mil today just ripping stuff out.

Lastly, we were still getting tank drops for set bonus pieces, even though we were both deception sins. In total we had 6 tank set bonus items drop, 1 tank tactical and 1 generic set bonus item.
That is really disappointing because they fixed in on the pts and tank stuff didn’t drop.

jimmorrisson
10.28.2019 , 03:15 PM | #20
While I appreciate the lengthy guide the gearing process itself is not what I would call 'simple'.