Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

1. Can continue questing while waiting for group to form.

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss this topic.

Developer post in the previous thread:

Improving our LFG system is high on the list of features that Systems Design wants to add to the game. We want this to be good not just for helping people find Flashpoints and Operations to run, but also other multiplayer content like heroic missions. A key emphasis will be on advertising for specific role needs (healer, tank, DPS). This feature is currently in the design stage, and once this feature has moved beyond this to a development stage and has a firm ETA, I'll be coming back to you guys to give more details.

We've known we would need to revisit this feature for a while. In the level-up game, finding players isn't too rough because, with few exceptions, everyone in that level band is either on your planet or on the fleet. Once more and more players hit endgame, and are spending their time in more places, the need for this feature is going to increase. Note that right now, high level players have the opposite problem - there aren't enough other players up there to group with. This problem will dissipate as the game ages, and more players reach the later levels.

That being said, our design team doesn't philosophically believe that cross-server Flashpoints are good for the game at this stage in the game's lifespan. There is huge social pressure to not be a jerk that goes away when the odds that you will never see these people again is high. I'm not saying never - there may come a time in the future where we reevaluate this - but at least in the short term, we believe this will cause more damage to the community than good.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

1. Can continue questing while waiting for group to form.

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

General Chat LFG is trolling?

LMFAO

Another I'm too "entitled" to look for a group thread.

Edit:

BTW I played vanilla WoW where it took an hour to walk to the instance and you didn't even have a group started.

Edited by Zezel

LMFAO

Another I'm to lazy to look for a group thread.

Heh I agree spamming chat is not trolling, but I've never liked people using the word lazy when referring to a video game.

Games are supposed to be fun. Sometimes I want to make friends, sometimes I just want to play.

LMFAO

Another I'm to lazy to look for a group thread.

Edit:

BTW I played vanilla WoW where it took an hour to walk to the instance and you didn't even have a group started.

Hey, if you want to create that same feeling

1. get a hammer
  2. hit self on head for 30 minutes
  3. look for a group
  4. play through group content

personally, I'd really like to skip to step 4. But if the hammer thing floats your boat you can always do that.

Edited by ferroz

Heh I agree spamming chat is not trolling, but I've never liked people using the word lazy when referring to a video game.

Games are supposed to be fun. Sometimes I want to make friends, sometimes I just want to play.

Fixed changed to "entitled".

Though the compensated hate machine swears up and down the game is dying I have no problems finding a group I ask and ten minutes later I am ready to start my flash point...much faster than WoWzorz LFD ever was.

Never had any issues either.

Though the compensated hate machine swears up and down the game is dying I have no problems finding a group I ask and ten minutes later I am ready to start my flash point...much faster than WoWzorz LFD ever was.

What server are you on? It currently takes hours on The Fatman, and my server is usually on Very Heavy/Full.

I never understood why people rarely complain about the instant grouping mechanisms in place for PvP but constantly complain about LFD. Look, grouping is the heart and soul of these games come "end-game" and anything that makes it less aggravating to find a group is better. I'm very well adjusted and social but that doesn't mean I want to sit in the fleet waiting to form a group when I could be out doing things waiting on a que to pop.

Like it or not LFD is now a "must have" feature in the genre, time for people to move on and accept it to be perfectly honest.

Never had any issues either.
... and as I just asked in the other iteration of this thread, so are you saying that the people that have been posting at a ratio of 4 to 1 (4 being people that are having excruciatingly long wait times finding a group) are lying?

um, lfd is faster than that.... less than a minute for tanks and healers, and generally in the 5-10 minute range for dps.

There are plenty of people who have a problem even with a local server one. playing the "most card" is kind of absurd.

Sorry, I should rephrase that, from my experience and a general conses among people I talk to, a local server lfd would be great, a cross server one wouldn't be, and instead of just not using it, I would like to add my input so that a tool that I would use, and will server the purpose of there, might come out of this instead of more stuff I wouldn't.

Quote:

Can you explain to me how a cross server tool is superior to a local server one while still helping build a strong community?

1. Tears down artificial server boundaries; Allows me to group with friends who aren't playing on my current server, make friends on other servers, etc

Should we also let imperial and republic group freely? I have friends who are republic that I can't group with because my other group of friends chose imperial, and we're both on the same server.

2. Faster group formation across the board, especially for the high demand roles, but even some improvement for the low demand roles.

I don't know any high demand roles that have issues finding groups it takes me 10 seconds to get a group as a tank, without this super fast group finder deluxe. While I agree that some dps might have a faster time because of this others will have a slower time. As I have stated before the general group experience I have had with the LFD tool as a tank has not been the most pleasant, random pugs on server currently have all been very pleasant. Random pugs on server before the LFD tool in wow were 99% pleasant, occasionally there were bad apples.

3. Better worst case scenarios across the board; for example, you're significantly less likely to run into a level range, or time period where you can't find a group quickly.

I agree that there might be times where groups can not be formed at certain levels but I think that this could be addressed while still giving preference to local server over cross server, and I see no reason to have cross server at level 50 because of this.

I'm happy they're revamping the lfg mechanics. That is sorely needed because regardless what some may think there are servers that have low populations which can make it extremely hard to find groups at times.

I prefer their thinking on the matter because if done properly their tool will help people find groups for more than just fps. Not that I'm against an lfd tool but that won't help people find groups for 4 man heroics is all.

... and as I just asked in the other iteration of this thread, so are you saying that the people that have been posting at a ratio of 4 to 1 (4 being people that are having excruciatingly long wait times finding a group) are lying?

No I'm saying I've had no issues. And as a matter of fact half the time there are more than one group forming at once.

An LFD would be fine as long as it was server only. LFD completely and utterly killed the community in WoW and made instance runs pretty much crap, because there was no consequence for rolling on someone elses stuff. If you pulled crap in a group of people all from your own server, you would be blackballed, and no one would run with you, and youw ould be forced to re-roll. That is how it is supposed to be. You should be held responsible for your actions in a group, and with X-Server LFD that was non-existent.

I never understood why people rarely complain about the instant grouping mechanisms in place for PvP but constantly complain about LFD. Look, grouping is the heart and soul of these games come "end-game" and anything that makes it less aggravating to find a group is better. I'm very well adjusted and social but that doesn't mean I want to sit in the fleet waiting to form a group when I could be out doing things waiting on a que to pop.

Like it or not LFD is now a "must have" feature in the genre, time for people to move on and accept it to be perfectly honest.

most people expect pvp to happen when it's convenient, there are no lockouts or other things in pvp so it's hard to convince people to group up at a certain time to fill a full group, though I assure you there are pvp guilds that do. However if you look at the pvp forum you can easily find posts about wanting to kick afkers, or blacklist people from being in the same pvp group as you. Also note that I don't see many people complaining that pvp is local server, but if you propose a local server lfd tool that isn't good enough for some people and has to be cross server.

The only reason someone says no to this is because they are selfish rude bad people. I hate having to spend several hours looking for a group on my server due to the times that I play. People who say no LFG/LFD tell me tough luck buddy I don't care, I got my FP and raid done go screw yourself.

LMFAO

Another I'm too "entitled" to look for a group thread.

Edit:

Haha. Wow dude, did you have to walk through sleet and snow barefoot, too?

That must have sucked for you.

First you used "LMFAO" which was obnoxious, then followed it up describing him as "entitled" because he doesn't want to spam / be spammed by people in General chat.

I guess to people like you being inconvenienced builds character, and "LF2M TANK AND DPS BT" is not only fun to read 150 times, but really helps establish community.

I'm all about LFG tools. People that whine LFG tools are tools.

I've skipped about 70% of the Flashpoints in the game, with one Level 50 and a handful of level 30s simply because spamming General chat and staring blankly at a wall on the Fleet is of absolutely no interest to me or a reasonable use of my time.

No I'm saying I've had no issues. And as a matter of fact half the time there are more than one group forming at once.
So, then you're saying because YOU have no issues finding a group, a LFG/LFD tool isn't needed.

... and you used the word "entitled" to describe the people of opposing opinion from your own?

mmmmmk......