Class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware's usage of 'small changes' is now similar to their usage of 'coming soon'.

Ya, I have to say - I'm not particularly emotional about this. I like my baby consular tank as a class, but she's so dull, I can't see myself sticking with her to max. But these do not sound like 'small' changes to me. I'm happy personally - I've loved my sith warrior & jedi sentinel all along, & I'm happy to see my first character, the sniper, getting some buffs, but I would be very discouraged right now, if my main character was actually an assassin.

What about sentinels and sages are you planing nerf them and bring balance to combat ?

You nerf tank class because of pvp crybabies but same time u destroyed tank them pve too

Tank assassins are the weakest tank class at the game now you nerf more them and destroy

I think I'll nerf my account when 1.3 comes and quit

Thrilled about the 100% threat generation, which in my opinion should of been in at launch. But great that it is finally being implemented.

Not entirely thrilled about the damage nerfs Guardian and Juggernaut tanks are getting. We barely do any damage as it is, and our two hardest hitting abilities are getting nerfed. Given yes, there is a trade off; but not enough to make the trade off worth the damage reduction.

Hopefully BioWare will not nerf the damage output down by Juggernaut/Guardian tanks anymore then it already is.

Since my separate thread got removed and I got told to discuss it in this thread ---

Are Shadow/Assassin Tanks being relegated to "Offtanks" again?

Thinking back to last November or so, we were told it was a "mis-statement" that the Shadow/Assassin tanks were referred to as off-tanks, and that all 3 tank types should be equally viable as main tanks, but the PTS 1.3 changes seem to be aimed at making that "mis-statement" real.

I sincerely hope that whoever came up with the changes to Shadow/Assassin tanking has actually played all 3 tank "types" before deciding that these changes are actually viable in PVE. Even as of 1.2, the Light armor tanks are still far more prone to being killed by an unlucky round than their heavy armor counterparts. Additionally, on events like Soa where shields are of no use, or where there are a lot of small attacks that chew through kinetic ward/dark ward very quickly, we are significantly inferior to the other 2 types at equal gear levels.

I suspect a big factor driving this is complaints from some in the PVP community, but if you destroy my PVE tanking viability to satisfy them, I may well decide to vote with my wallet. Note: I have played a shadow tank as my main from the day of early access, I am no "FOTM re-roller", and have been waiting patiently on a server that has been practically dead for over 2 months. I am the main tank for my guild, and crippling my tanking capability will affect them as well.

TL;DR: You'd better be certain that the Shadow/Assassin changes don't destroy tank viability.

I must agree i have played my assassin tank aswell since EA days and love tanking on it and in my guild we have 3 main tanks all assassins, because rest of the main tanks have left the dead servers. If our entire guild is forced to either reroll new tanks to be able to compete in the new nightmare ops and HM denova i am fairly certain that people will leave the game.

Thank you! Can't wait to see how the changes to my Commando stack up.

As for the complaints about shadows, I'm PVE, and my guild's main healer says he loves shadow tanks. Call me crazy, but I trust Bioware to do the math to make sure a shadow can tank just as well as a guardian... and if they do go too far with the nerf bat, I trust them to acknowledge it (like they just did with Commandos).

My next character's either going to be a shadow or assassin tank. I'm eager to see for myself if it works.

Thank you! Can't wait to see how the changes to my Commando stack up.

As for the complaints about shadows, I'm PVE, and my guild's main healer says he loves shadow tanks. Call me crazy, but I trust Bioware to do the math to make sure a shadow can tank just as well as a guardian... and if they do go too far with the nerf bat, I trust them to acknowledge it (like they just did with Commandos).

My next character's either going to be a shadow or assassin tank. I'm eager to see for myself if it works.

Or be blindly ignorant about it. Sorcs/Sages come to thought, and the absence of nerfs to Marauder/Juggernauts.

Trust is something that isn't given it should be earned. BioWare has yet to earn my "trust", or the trust of 400k subscribers that left.

Are you kidding? I mean good work on the tanks but leaving out the fact the mara's now get more and more OP the better the gear. They scale with gear better than any class in the game. Just go to dpsmeter.com and look at the top 10 8 man HM/Nim rankings to see something is very wrong. In PvP this issue is even worse. I play a mara as well as a couple of other classes so I am in a good position to see how laughably overpowered this class is. And in pvp this issue becomes nothing more than a joke. We can rip through anything with ridiculous ease. Even my powertech is now having a lot of trouble against them (which was never an issue before).

If you want this game to be ever taken seriously in the mmo community you are going to have to get to the root of why you cannot seem to balance these classes out. The game has been live for 6 months and its never been worse in this respect.

I will say I am pleased with the other work you have been putting into the game - but it will be for naught if the key element in the game is ludicrously unbalanced. I hope you listen to this and dont leave it too late like you did with the sorcs - letting loads of people respec and then over nerfing them in a desperate attempt to solve an issue you were warned about for months. Only to have a lot of players leave because you didn't do it right.

Edited by nDjiin

Simple way to fix marauders/sentinals: when they use Undying Rage/Guarded by the Force, reduce damage done by 99% to go along with the 99% damage received buff and drop health by 25% instead of 50%, ans/or give them a debuff that reduces the healing they can receive by 100% during the duration and for 10 seconds after, kinda like shadow/assassin and op/scound emergency stealth debuff. This would be well well in line with the nerf to Survivors Scars/Survival Training, lol

Yes give deception and madness more surviving and damage and balance the game

Hello Murcans,

Why do you want them to give you a deception and madness more surviving and damage can you tell me thank you

Simple way to fix marauders/sentinals: when they use Undying Rage/Guarded by the Force, reduce damage done by 99% to go along with the 99% damage received buff and drop health by 25% instead of 50%, ans/or give them a debuff that reduces the healing they can receive by 100% during the duration and for 10 seconds after, kinda like shadow/assassin and op/scound emergency stealth debuff. This would be well well in line with the nerf to Survivors Scars/Survival Training, lol

That would be a good start imo - but it wouldnt address the fact they can still out dps even the next closest surge class by a substantial margin, whilst at the same time out dps'ing mercs/ sorcs / snipers in overall dps. If it wasn't for EC being so melee unfriendly you would ONLY have 4 maras as your dps.

I really...REALLY...hope that was sarcasm. Otherwise, it's the worst idea I've heard in a while...and there are some real doozies on this forum.

One of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.. Each tree independent of each other.. So when the PVP whines come storming in for the nerfs it won't effect the PVE playability. Absolutely outstanding idea.

One of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.. Each tree independent of each other.. So when the PVP whines come storming in for the nerfs it won't effect the PVE playability. Absolutely outstanding idea.

Except that, so far, "whines" aren't what BioWare goes by. Did you read the blog at all?

The more that this pointless segregation happens between the two, the more it exacerbates this poor attitude. It doesn't fix anything, and only results in more work for those of us who equally partake in PvE and PvP.