BiS Accuracy - 4 or 5 slots?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the players who are saying that they need 5 accuracy enhancements usually don't know about the 1% accuracy buff from your companions via the legacy system. When you have that 1%, you only need four enhancements, not five.

From what I understand, 109.95% accuracy is better than 111% accuracy because above 110% accuracy, you don't gain much and it is better to stack other stats. With only 109.95%, the chance to miss is so small that it is fine to be a little bit below 110%.

However, if your question is about something else entirely and I understood you wrong, I apologize.

Edited by Jerba

In this tier of gear you're only going to lose DPS going with 4 acc / 6 surge. 4 accuracy enhancements (376) is only 109.27% which falls a bit short. Next tier of gear you may be able to get away with using 4 accuracy enhancements, but even then you won't go for 6 surge because of the steep DR, you'd add alacrity instead.

In this tier of gear you're only going to lose DPS going with 4 acc / 6 surge. 4 accuracy enhancements (376) is only 109.27% which falls a bit short. Next tier of gear you may be able to get away with using 4 accuracy enhancements, but even then you won't go for 6 surge because of the steep DR, you'd add alacrity instead.

Ah okay, my bad. I believe one DPS in my raid group is using 4 accuracy enhancements and 1 accuracy augment. He's sacrificing 32 main stat, but that way he does not go above 110% accuracy.

However, I don't know if that's better than 5 accuracy enhancements from a min-maxing standpoint.

Edited by Jerba

Yes i'm aware of the ratings, what I was meaning is if someone had actually calculated the dps loss/gain.

Yes i'm aware of the ratings, what I was meaning is if someone had actually calculated the dps loss/gain.

The DPS loss or gain is spec dependent so there is no universal perspective on this. Everyone starts with 90% melee/ranged accuracy; for many this is increased by 1% from your melee tank companion. Next everyone has at least +3% Accuracy from their skill trees. Effectively everyone's base melee/ranged accuracy is at least 94%.

Four Accuracy-based enhancements add 5.27% while five Accuracy-based enhancements add 6.43%. Thus, you will either be under by 0.73% or over by 0.43%. Considering the alternatives to Accuracy are Alacrity and Surge I doubt it is worth skimping on Accuracy right now.

As far as my calculations go, 32 mainstats roughly equals about 90 surge rating (depends on multiple things, obviously...), assuming the player has 5 surge pieces already.

So swapping out an accuracy enhancement + a mainstat augment for a 6th surge enhancement is (in my opinion) generally a bad idea, it's basically a straight loss of accuracy.

Surge has the highest dimishing return of any stat in this game.

Edited by THoK-Zeus

I do the same thing as Macio and go with 4 accuracy and one augment. I tried it with 5 accuracy at first but that dropped my crit multiplier by 2% which I didn't like. My highest parse has come with the 4 accuracy/1 aug setup.

You should never, ever, ever use accuracy augments. Trading a tertiary stat for a Primary stat is a bad Idea and only loses you dps. Having 6 pieces of surge gear puts you well into diminishing returns, and is practically useless. just take the 5 accuracy enhancements and lets be done with it. when Nim comes out we can drop an accuracy enhancement, and add..... alacrity I guess...

Does having a weapon offhand make any difference? Base accuracy on offhand is much lower so I'd imagine going over 100% is, uh, less bad for mercs, GS'ers and Mauraders/Sents than classes with one weapon.

you still waste 0.43% on your main hand, but you do get the benefits of that 0.43 on your offhand so it hits less so than say a sniper or a commando.

Edited by mastirkal

You should never, ever, ever use accuracy augments. Trading a tertiary stat for a Primary stat is a bad Idea and only loses you dps. Having 6 pieces of surge gear puts you well into diminishing returns, and is practically useless. just take the 5 accuracy enhancements and lets be done with it. when Nim comes out we can drop an accuracy enhancement, and add..... alacrity I guess...

This is incorrect for a combat sentinel. I use 1 accuracy augment and it works great. I'm sitting at 100.24% and have had a noticeable difference from having a full 5 enhancements. Of course this only applies to one spec but still something to note. I've tried playing around with augs on my slinger/sniper but not enough to make a statement on it.

I just hate missing, especially in crucial phases of an encounter, so I'd always rather go for more accuracy, even if that means sacrificing a bit of sustained DPS. (Best example ist Styrak Nim adds: One miss and another try on a fight with 17 mins enrage timer is failed. Arghh!! ;-)

I agree that pushing accuracy makes even more sense on dual wield DPS classes. On my Sent and Slinger I actually go for 5 accuracy slots and 470 rating, while on my Sage and Commando less also works fine.

have you ever looked at your logs and checked how much your off hand does as damage compared to main hand ??

it is very very tiny part. going over 100% accuracy claiming it helps your dps as your offhand will miss 0.43% less (or 0.8% less in fact) makes no sense. If you want to make sure you are at least 100% accu and wan't miss then sure, go with 5 enchantments but extra benefit you get for your offhand is like 10 dps increase if not less.

Surge while having diminishing returns, will benefit your main hand damage more then 0.43% accuracy that is over 100%.

For main hand, anything over 100% accuracy is a lost stat. Surge going into DR is still a DPS gain over that accuracy that is wasted.

Only reason for me to go from 99.64 to 100.43 is if fight mechanics require me to never ever miss (as mentioned Styrrak NiM which i never attempted might be good reason for it). But then again ... you are looking at a chance of 1 in 199 uses that will miss. And this is for all your skills so if you miss with one of your skills like Wounding Shots, then your stun is even less likely to miss.

It depends on the class and spec.. some have more accuracy talented..

I think 110% force/tech is a must though.. on my sage who i'm gearing for pve at one point i had 109.80% or something and i was derping around on the dummy playing full balance.. and my fib missed.. so no force supression that is probably the biggest impact i've seen of not having 110% lol.

Generally in NiM you will encounter more mechanics where you don't want anything to miss, or you'll fail tight DPS requirements in certain phases. It's no good having more overall DPS, but failing to kill the add that mustn't reach the tank, because one of your big hitters just missed...

Also Sentinels have a three point talent to increase their offhand damage so it's a different ballgame there than on a Slinger.

I still go for 470 accuracy on my Hybrid Slinger as well - partly, because there's extra surge for AoE damage via the skill in the engineering talent tree. I'll have to see if I keep that after the Freighter nerf, though, which then might lead me to actually trade one surge slot for accuracy...

But then again ... you are looking at a chance of 1 in 199 uses that will miss. And this is for all your skills so if you miss with one of your skills like Wounding Shots, then your stun is even less likely to miss.

That's not how statistic works.

have you ever looked at your logs and checked how much your off hand does as damage compared to main hand ??

it is very very tiny part. going over 100% accuracy claiming it helps your dps as your offhand will miss 0.43% less (or 0.8% less in fact) makes no sense. If you want to make sure you are at least 100% accu and wan't miss then sure, go with 5 enchantments but extra benefit you get for your offhand is like 10 dps increase if not less.

Surge while having diminishing returns, will benefit your main hand damage more then 0.43% accuracy that is over 100%.

For main hand, anything over 100% accuracy is a lost stat. Surge going into DR is still a DPS gain over that accuracy that is wasted.

Only reason for me to go from 99.64 to 100.43 is if fight mechanics require me to never ever miss (as mentioned Styrrak NiM which i never attempted might be good reason for it). But then again ... you are looking at a chance of 1 in 199 uses that will miss. And this is for all your skills so if you miss with one of your skills like Wounding Shots, then your stun is even less likely to miss.

You forget the lost mainstat augment you trade for accuracy. 32 mainstat equals roughly 90 surge rating (when it's the 6th surge enhancement).

If you don't get the accuracy augment´, 4 accuracy enhancements drop you a lot lower then 99,64%.

Can you add enhancement slots to implants and earpieces? Or are they included in the enhancement count based on the stats they have, such as mainly accuracy or power for example.

Ear pieces and implants have the same +94 tertiary stat as enhancements, so that's why they are included in the enhancement count even though they are not real enhancements.

It doesn't really matter which gear pieces you place the individual stats into; what matters are the total stats.

Edited by Jerba

Ear pieces and implants have the same +94 tertiary stat as enhancements, so that's why they are included in the enhancement count even though they are not real enhancements.

It doesn't really matter which gear pieces you place the individual stats into; what matters are the total stats.

Thank you, that clears things up for me.