Is Jugger the only Tank class?

gkshow

Hello all,

I know we're all new to the game and some of us had a chance to test it, so I wanted to ask a question.

Based on my past experience in WoW, I always try to get a class that can do multiple roles. Had a shaman for heal-dps and DK for tank-dps in WoW, so I want to do the same here.

I read that Jugger AC is for tanking and that the DPS is viable.

But I do enjoy the possibility of DW. Is tanking or off-tanking possible with Marauders?

Or do I have to go with the Juggers and become a tank or DPS?

Thanks for the input!

Juggernauts are a DPS/Tank AC. If you want to go with Dual lightsabers you'll need to pick the marauder AC, but they only have DPS dedicated trees. Thing is, at low level flashpoints tanking is pretty much moot since its a aoe/dps fest , but at higher levels, marauders are going to be unable to survive during boss encounters or whatever for long, maybe even with heals behind them.

If you like force using classes, make a juggernaut for dps/tanking and an inquisitor for dps/healing, thus satisfying all your needs ( more or less )

I was actually asked about this recently, having been referred by a Fury warrior who was wondering about the ability to offtank in a pinch by getting into Defensive Stance, equipping a shield and blowing Shield Wall.

Alas, that's not possible for a Marauder AFAIK. Soresu form, required for both the damage reduction and threat, is only trainable to a Juggernaut.

If you want the fun (and assuming I'm not mistaken) of duel-lightsabers, I'm afraid tanking will ever be missing from your toolkit. :(

I was a pally tank in WoW,

is Jugger or Assassin going to be more similar to the feel of magic combined with melee? any body know yet?

If you played a pally tank in WoW, you'll want to go Shield Tech specced Powertech. Lots of AOE, unique resource system, tons of passive mitigation.

Juggernauts are like a combo of the Rage resource system of warriors with the active mitigation system (via Force Scream) and multiple cooldowns of DKs.

If you played a pally tank in WoW, you'll want to go Shield Tech specced Powertech. Lots of AOE, unique resource system, tons of passive mitigation.

Juggernauts are like a combo of the Rage resource system of warriors with the active mitigation system (via Force Scream) and multiple cooldowns of DKs.

Assassin has more DK qualities imo

Without actually playing it's just hard to see which one will play more similarly. The rage resource system is very very different than a mana type system, which is why i was wondering if assassin might be the way to go. i'd hate to get near max lvl then find out it's the wrong class/play style.

You cannot change AC, and no plans on the horizon to allow it.

And hopefully they never will. I don't want to be running flashpoints and ops only to find out that my tank/healer is playing an off spec if crappy gear.

Also for people asking from what I saw in beta AoE tanking isn't as viable since you have a lot less melee mobs than WoW.

Aoe tanking will get you killed fast.

In flashpoints after black talon/esseles (which for the record we two manned without a heal) the mob packs are combinations of mob types. There will be a few normals who hit like trucks, a few hards (silver) who hit like trucks, and a few elites (gold), and sometimes a champ (gold and silver, normally a "boss")

Additionally, they will be mixed range, some being ranged mobs, some being melee mobs. As a sith jugg, we have limited aoe, very limited range, and our closer/ranged skills are on cooldowns. This makes it inefficient to attempt to take all the aggro.

We have found that it works well for the tank to go in, grab aggro from the highest classification of mobs (i.e. champ or elite) and do what they can with the others while the dps burns down the rest. DPS burn down the normals faster than a blink, they also burn down hards pretty easy. As a merc, I am able to keep everyone in good health with no resource issues while this happens.

Aoe tanking will get you killed fast.

In flashpoints after black talon/esseles (which for the record we two manned without a heal) the mob packs are combinations of mob types. There will be a few normals who hit like trucks, a few hards (silver) who hit like trucks, and a few elites (gold), and sometimes a champ (gold and silver, normally a "boss")

Additionally, they will be mixed range, some being ranged mobs, some being melee mobs. As a sith jugg, we have limited aoe, very limited range, and our closer/ranged skills are on cooldowns. This makes it inefficient to attempt to take all the aggro.

We have found that it works well for the tank to go in, grab aggro from the highest classification of mobs (i.e. champ or elite) and do what they can with the others while the dps burns down the rest. DPS burn down the normals faster than a blink, they also burn down hards pretty easy. As a merc, I am able to keep everyone in good health with no resource issues while this happens.

Don't forget CC. Have an SI lock down one target while tanking 1-2 more and DPS down any others. Works pretty well. And BT is designed for two players who may not include a healer. Anything after that gets a bit more intense..

And hopefully they never will. I don't want to be running flashpoints and ops only to find out that my tank/healer is playing an off spec if crappy gear.

Also for people asking from what I saw in beta AoE tanking isn't as viable since you have a lot less melee mobs than WoW.

You're confusing dual spec with changing your AC. They will likely never let you change your AC, but have indicated they are seriously considering WoW-style dual spec. Which means I'll be able to have a tank sped and a DPS spec on my Juggy.

You're confusing dual spec with changing your AC. They will likely never let you change your AC, but have indicated they are seriously considering WoW-style dual spec. Which means I'll be able to have a tank sped and a DPS spec on my Juggy.

No he's not. He's saying he doesn't want to be running a Flashpoint with a Sorc healer and find out that 20 minutes ago the guy was a DPS Assassin.

Without actually playing it's just hard to see which one will play more similarly. The rage resource system is very very different than a mana type system, which is why i was wondering if assassin might be the way to go. i'd hate to get near max lvl then find out it's the wrong class/play style.

if you play to 25 you will know how endgame will feel. so just roll a few tanks they all have great stories