Am I the only one who misses SWG?

tormentedchaos

Seriously... I am enjoying the game... Having fun with it.

BUT, it feels like a single player game. Seriously. I feel very little like I'm playing an MMO and more like I'm playing a shoddy attempt at making a sequel to KOTOR.

I loved the KOTOR games, I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing WoW and EQ. I even liked instanced MMO's like GW... But I absolutely adored what SWG tried to accomplish (And did in some ways.)

Maybe I expected this game to be a better recreation of SWG, but it isn't.

I'm not trying to write another "This game is teh suxx" thread, as I intend to play this game through... But it doesn't feel like an MMO, it simply feels like KOTOR 2.5 with a chat room.

='(

Edited by tormentedchaos

TBFH, SWG had no real content. Felt like a mindless grind. Here, at least we have some story and voice acting. Instead of killing 8 whatnots for no *********** reason, there's some explanation as to why you need to remove enemies. Missions are also connected. If you want to grind even less, then you can simply ignore the bonus component. If you actually do that, it feels almost like a KOTOR game.

It actually resembles the classic KOTOR games.

In simple, SWG accomplished the hardest think in MMO endruisty, it had a great content with a perfect system but the structure was broken since the beginning and they completaly broked in after some updates and it died but in main concept, it was great but as a game it was broken i hope we can see some mmos in the future who has free economy, crafting system like SWG, housing etc.

SWG .. hmm i miss the Housing a little, but the rest was just broken.

I like the option to work in partys, realy Multiplayer. and if you friends

dont are onlin treeáclock in the night you can still play.

... and space missions in groupe was an exelent experience!

TBFH, SWG had no real content. Felt like a mindless grind. Here, at least we have some story and voice acting. Instead of killing 8 whatnots for no *********** reason, there's some explanation as to why you need to remove enemies. Missions are also connected. If you want to grind even less, then you can simply ignore the bonus component. If you actually do that, it feels almost like a KOTOR game.

It actually resembles the classic KOTOR games.

SWG didn't have much premade content that's correct, however it had a ton of content for the ones who wanted to make their own. In SWG you could build cities, you could build military bases, you could play the game 100% as a crafter from start to finish, or you could play as a soldier for the empire or the rebels. Exploring planest could give you things other didn't have, fighting ancient krayt dragons could give you things to sell and become rich off or you could just sit in a city and live of people paying you to get buffed all day long. Maybe dance or play in the cantina.

SWG in many aspects lacked content for those who were incapable of finding it. SWG Pre-CU was not your typical theme park MMO, it was a sandbox MMO. It became what you wanted to make out of it. I don't know how many times I ran around the planets with my guild in search of rebels, hunting jedi players and sometimes we just went out looking for crafting materials for the crafters in the guild. Fully loaded with harvesters we went to remote locations found the best possible resources and started gathering resources. All this to ensure our crafters not only could provide us with the very best equipment, but that they could also sell a lot and put some of the income into the guild city and military bases.

To say SWG ha dno real content is a lie, it did have loads of content. However the content never popped up and told you as a player to go to X location and kill X thing because of this and that. The content was something you as a player "created", you utilized the tools the game provided and created your own experience rather then play a premade experience some one else had made for you. And that will always be the difference with theme park MMO's and sandbox MMO's.

Seriously... I am enjoying the game... Having fun with it.

BUT, it feels like a single player game. Seriously. I feel very little like I'm playing an MMO and more like I'm playing a shoddy attempt at making a sequel to KOTOR.

I loved the KOTOR games, I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing WoW and EQ. I even liked instanced MMO's like GW... But I absolutely adored what SWG tried to accomplish (And did in some ways.)

Maybe I expected this game to be a better recreation of SWG, but it isn't.

I'm not trying to write another "This game is teh suxx" thread, as I intend to play this game through... But it doesn't feel like an MMO, it simply feels like KOTOR 2.5 with a chat room.

='(

For the millionth time if you miss it GO PLAY IT

Google SWG EMU it's free and it's PRE CU.

Otherwise stop complaining.

I... don't get why people say this is a single player game..

You get more points/exp for grouping with other people.

My feeling about the game is that it feels like a singleplayer game more then a MMO for various reasons.

1) Story sucks you in and pushes you gently onwards and you often "forget" that this is a multiplayer game. You know it's an MMO, but the story is just so well made that you don't really have to find someone to do X instance with for the 10. time. In WoW I played the game and the instances quite heavy as it was sometimes more rewarding then questing alone. and questing was just this textbox that you quickly clicked away so reading it was not a priority.

2) Due to heavy instancing the game feels a lot more empty then WoW. In WoW when you quest in Barrens you will constantly see other players, in SW:TOR seeing other players isn't that common. I have gotten my character to 50 and I have seen other players on my side and maybe max 10 republic players on my way to 50. but comparing the amount of players I have seen with other games it really does feel a bit empty in comparison.

no you are not alone!

i miss swg too,it was the best mmo ever,swtor is no comparrison to it,swtor is such a dissapointment,i hope they will fix this game soon.:(

starsider-onouk

Edited by Fyrog

There were many great elements of SWG but there were also some fatal flaws. First it was ridiculous to limit each player to one (then two) character per server. They had a good idea with making Jedi difficult to obtain. But when I finally unlocked my Jedi, I was annoyed that the new character had to start over rather than be the main character I had been playing all along. And once the recipe for unlocking a Jedi was made public, eventually everyone would have one, negating what they intended. And the permadeath made it not fun to play.

So they felt they needed to do something and they went with the CU and NGE, which pissed off their customers. Over time (years) they repaired that damage but they had already permanently lost a big chunk of players. They stopped marketing the game in stores and tried to increase revenue by getting more from their existing customers via that horrible trading card game.

Everyone likes something different but I prefer the open world to following a set path. I really don't care about a story or voice overs. Maybe someone else thinks those things are great. I think it's just decoration and not really the game itself. We'll see how long this game retains my interest - hopefully for a long time.

Where was all this griping and support when SWG was still around?....Guess the old saying is true.

"Ya don't know what you got, till its gone."

Agreed, I washed my hands of SWG because I thought SWTOR was going to out do it in every way.. yet now I wish it hadn't been canceled, as I'd of played them both, SWTOR for hundreds of quests and voice acting, SWG for endgame and individualism.

agreed, i washed my hands of swg because i thought swtor was going to out do it in every way.. Yet now i wish it hadn't been canceled, as i'd of played them both, swtor for hundreds of quests and voice acting, swg for endgame and individualism.

you can still play it for free!

I did like that SWG wasnt so linear and didn't tell you exactly where to go and exactly what to do at all times. Figuring quests out was part of the fun.

the quests in SWG consisted of go to this location and kill the 3 guards and destory the small radar station. At least that is the way it was for the entire first year.

When they added the CU and NGE they made the biggest error in MMO history. They killed 70% of their playerbase by removing pretty much everything that made the game fun. And without consulting with what the players really wanted, which was actual bug fixing. All they said before the major screw up was "these additions will make the game better". Guess thats what developers call making a suicide move. Me and my 3 friends canceld 12 subs total when the patch rolled out. Most of my guild members canceld 2-4 each aswell lol.

And stop talking about the swgemu, its still in alpha(might be beta now but still) state. They have been working hard as hell on it for around 4++ years. They are building their own engine for it just so they cant get copyright sued from hell. Everything is built from scratch with just the textures taken since you can apperently take those. And they dont pick out a salary ie, it takes the time it takes.

Edited by Ormathon

I played SWG for 8 years. While I still miss certain aspects of it, I've learnt to fill the gap with SW:TOR. I am really liking TOR so far. The main things I miss are Space Combat, Player Housing, and people actually hanging out in Cantinas for buffs, etc.

Other then that I think BW has done a fair job in making a great SW MMO.