Newb Questions: Guardian vs. Shadow

So I'm kind of a PVE newb who's recently started to get into the PVE aspects of the game, and I'm kind of confused as to how to progress with my gear grind. Shadow has been my favorite class since I started playing it, and I've always enjoyed the way that the class abilities flow, etc. Recently, however, I've been starting to realize how second-rate shadow is compared to the other 2 tanking classes, especially guardian. So now I've leveled a guardian to 55 to start tanking in PVE. The problem now is that I don't particularly enjoy playing the class.

My question, then, is whether or not Shadow is worth grinding for the top level PVE challenges in the game or if I should just scrap in and grind a guardian. Is shadow viable? or would I be bringing my team down?

The biggest issue with shadow tanking is the poor balance. It's an extremely effective tank in story mode (and most hard mode fights) because of their self healing/threat generation but is fairly squishy in NiM. The sheer number of defensive cooldowns and mitigation skills of guardians make them a very durable tank. If your goal isn't to be taking on the very most difficult endgame content, shadows are fine. That being said, shadow tanks are very much capable of tanking NiM but the ceiling is low. Even if you were extremely skilled on your shadow, you would likely outperform it on your guardian.

Stick with your Shadow.. It'll take a while for you to gear it properly anyways, and BW is indeed aware that RNG is killing Shadow tank eligability in the very top end raids - at least for certain fights.

It'll get fixed!

And most importantly, don't force yourself to play a class you don't enjoy just because it's "better" right now.. You'll burn out on the game if you do things you don't really enjoy.

That being said, most classes really don't come into their own until after level 40 - or even first at 50/55 really.. So whenever you have the chance, slowly level that Guardian of yours.. Someday you might find you like it.. But definately don't grind it..

The biggest issue with shadow tanking is the poor balance. It's an extremely effective tank in story mode (and most hard mode fights) because of their self healing/threat generation but is fairly squishy in NiM. The sheer number of defensive cooldowns and mitigation skills of guardians make them a very durable tank. If your goal isn't to be taking on the very most difficult endgame content, shadows are fine. That being said, shadow tanks are very much capable of tanking NiM but the ceiling is low. Even if you were extremely skilled on your shadow, you would likely outperform it on your guardian.

Yes i am squishy in NiM. Will tell that my guild, so that they can replace me (may include sarcasm).

For 8 man NiM Shadows are as good as Guardians. While they outperform Guardians on some bosses (DG, twh...), Guardians outperform Shadows on a few bosses aswell (probably Kephess.).

For 16 man NiM it's a different story, but that's a content even less people run currently.

@First post: Stick with your shadow.

Edited by THoK-Zeus

I tanked level 50 content on a guardian and was completely miserable. It just wasn't a fun class to me, and I was a lot happier once 55 content came around and I made a switch. I'd suggest sticking to what you enjoy, since class rebalancing happens quite often.

Shadow tanks *are* getting a lot of flak lately about being squishy or taking unpredictable amounts of damage, but at the same time a very large portion of guilds are still taking one, which is a tribute to how strong the class potential is. The only thing I would really avoid is taking 2 shadow/sin tanks, but I would give the same advice about not taking 2 jugg/guardian tanks. Like the above poster said, each class has its different strengths and weaknesses depending on the fight, and you should be aware of them and play to your groups strength when applicable.

Well I already leveled the guardian to 55 so the question now is only of gearing it. Another thing that would make me lean towards guardian is that, although class balance is constantly changed, shadow being a stealth class with numerous self heals is less likely to become comparable to other tanks in PvE because that would make it OP in PvP, or at least that's the way I see it.

Anyway, I suppose as long as I'm not really bringing my team down by gearing one out, then shadow is the class I should go with. I really appreciate the replies! Now I just gotta figure out how to gear this thing...