Today's pack chances at good items lower than usual?

Solzean

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh.... there are two easy ways to know when a new pack releases (without actually logging in to the game):

1) Check Dulfy.net every morning... while sipping coffee. Seriously... if I want to know what's new and interesting in SWTOR... Dulfy is THE reliable source on the internet. :)

2) Check the forum.....if there are rage threads about drop rates in a pack... then a new pack has released. :p

Edited by Andryah

Heh.... there are two easy ways to know when a new pack releases (without actually logging in to the game):

1) Check Dulfy.net every morning... while sipping coffee. Seriously... if I want to know what's new and interesting in SWTOR... Dulfy is THE reliable source on the internet. :)

2) Check the forum.....if there are rage threads about drop rates in a pack... then a new pack has released. :p

don't forget the rehashing of :

1) this is "gambling"

2) EA/BW are money grabbing and only update CM items to feed their greed while not providing content updates

don't forget the rehashing of :

1) this is "gambling"

2) EA/BW are money grabbing and only update CM items to feed their greed while not providing content updates

Hehe.. yeah.. well that is just "pepper for the soup" in the forum. :p

Edited by Andryah

Aren't you kinda arguing semantics with the whole gambling thing? I personally would call it gambling too, simply because I personally would define investing in random chance as "gambling".

That doesn't say it's bad, just that it's, well, a gamble.

Don't understand why people buy packs. You can get the items you want off the GTN for credits. If anything, buy the packs, sell them on the GTN and buy the item you like on the GTN.

Its always amusing when comments such as these come up, I mean how redundant can you be? Or is there some magic GTN fairy I dont know about? :D

Its always amusing when comments such as these come up, I mean how redundant can you be? Or is there some magic GTN fairy I dont know about? :D

? Apparently there is a GTN fairy you don't know about.

You buy packs. Sell them, just the pack, on GTN for creds. Wait until the item you want is listed on GTN, because it will be. Let the price wars from those posting new items on GTN turn into a frenzy, then buy said item at a very good price. Simple and very effective.

For the super rares the price will be high, but you can make millions just by selling the packs.

I don't know why this continues to be a mystery.

Aren't you kinda arguing semantics with the whole gambling thing? I personally would call it gambling too, simply because I personally would define investing in random chance as "gambling".

That doesn't say it's bad, just that it's, well, a gamble.

Here's the problem with the term "gambling": it means different things to different people and different people use the term for different motives.

Some people feel that any game of chance (regardless of risk/reward) is gambling.

More often, some people equate the term with any activity that requires risk.. most often financial risk of some kind. This is often exacerbated by personal feelings of entitlement (ie: I want it without taking risks or chances and I want it nao!)

Then there is the ever popular "ethical dogma" where a person will define something as gambling simply because they don't like it and they feel they can plausibly attack that something on ground it is immoral or illegal (to them)

But the fact is... from a legal standpoint.. local governments define what = gambling, NOT random people on the internet.

"Gambling" is a legal definition for any conversation as to it's legality under local law.

"Gambling" is a moral definition for any conversation as to ones personal stance on it's acceptability in society.

"Gambling" is a common "smear term" for any conversation where one is upset about not "winning" and want their pound of flesh in the courtyard of internet opinion and debate.

The term "gambling" is most often used in threads like this in the latter sense... it is the weapon of choice when sharing one's desire to vent spleen for 15 minutes of internet fame.

Edited by Andryah

You buy packs. Sell them, just the pack, on GTN for creds. Wait until the item you want is listed on GTN, because it will be. Let the price wars from those posting new items on GTN turn into a frenzy, then buy said item at a very good price. Simple and very effective.

For the super rares the price will be high, but you can make millions just by selling the packs.

^^

And personally.... I bypass the packs completely and I buy/sell pack contents on the GTN and make profits to fund my desires for "one of everything" :D There are far more credits to be made off of buying/reselling individual items from the packs as they flood the market.

Edited by Andryah

^^

And personally.... I bypass the packs completely and I buy/sell pack contents on the GTN and make profits to fund my desires for "one of everything" :D There are far more credits to be made off of buying/reselling individual items from the packs as they flood the market.

Yeah, but you need starting cash for that and if you have limited time to grind dailies and the likes, then this is a good alternative to get you started.

I wouldn't reccomend doing it every month tho... but that might be because I'm unemployed and cash is tight :p

I can understand why the OP and others like him feels this way, but I agree it is a matter of perception. I too opened quite a few packs and feel that getting good items are lower than usual. I don't have any interest in mounts or weapons, but I do want to collect the skimpy items.

For this pack, my main goal is the Unburdened set, and I have literally put my Sage leveling on hold until I get it. But I found it fairly difficult to get, only getting the Supplementary items when I ran out of cartel coins. To be fair though, I did get two out of four skimpy chest pieces, the Vandal and the Skilled Hunter, so at least the hardest part for those are done.

But one thing noticable is unlike other packs, I haven't gotten a valuable item. I thought the Dessler would be it, but it seems others indicate they are easy to get. I did get that lore armour (the colourful one), but it is annoying that I got three Underwater Lower armour sets consecutively.

But random is random, and if I didn't run out of inventory space last night, I would have opened more. So I'll try again tomorrow, and hopefully I am able to earn a little with the items that I did get, and obtain the Unburdened armour set in the GTN at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't say that the new pack has a lower chance at "good" items, but compared to some previous packs, some items definitely seem to have lower drop rates. I guess Bioware tweaks the rarity/proportion of different item types in the packs. Lately it seems that mounts, pets, and weapons don't drop that much, in part because of their rarity but also because there aren't very many (in the case of pets). A big change from the packs that had us swimming in Ubrikki mounts and gizka and primordial weapons! xD

Also, those darn GSF "super rares" are like the (non-reusable) Jawagrams of this pack series to me, as I find them useless and they fetch a paltry sum on the GTN. So that kind of makes the chances for good stuff seem worse if you're not into GSF.

That said, I opened several packs and am happy with what I got. No cute bantha for me, and a couple of GSF items, but I got the main parts of the skimpy Jedi set I wanted as well as the lightsaber. It's just luck. Speaking of which, I wish everyone good luck in getting the items they wish for. :)

Ok, so I'm not the only one to find the "good" drop rate of this new pack to be oddly deficient. And it was the same talking to my guildees who bought hypercrates. Out of all the weapons, pets, mounts, dyes, and emotes, not a single one. Just tons of the armor sets and a few worthless GSF stuff. I've bought packs since the beginning but never seen it this bad. While I'm fine having some "bad luck", when I see this many other people having similar drop rates, it really makes me suspect they secretly nerfed the drop rates in an attempt to get people to buy more packs. But if they did that, then honestly I think that'll backfire on them as people won't even bother buying any more if they have to deal with cargo bays of worthless armor sets that the market is flooded with.

Yeah, but you need starting cash for that and if you have limited time to grind dailies and the likes, then this is a good alternative to get you started.

I wouldn't reccomend doing it every month tho... but that might be because I'm unemployed and cash is tight :p

True. I started with about 500K credits (earned by farming low level bosses, pre-nerf) back in the old days. If I was starting the game today, I'd indeed build starting capital with CM - 2- GTN and then play the market.

I wouldn't say that the new pack has a lower chance at "good" items, but compared to some previous packs, some items definitely seem to have lower drop rates. I guess Bioware tweaks the rarity/proportion of different item types in the packs.

Very true. Not all super rares have equal drop rates. This has been pretty common knowledge for a while now. And of course they can continue to tweak their drop rate tables as they go along too.... so there is no certainty that drop rates will be what people expect/want.

It would be less confusing (and less drama) if Bioware were to have more levels of rarity tag" so people can get a better feel in advance what the actual drop rarity is for an item.

That said... there are some items from packs that are IMO too common and it would actually be nice to see a few items be extremely rare (to the point of making people actually cry real tears) :p

Edited by Andryah

Just opened up one aswell and unfortunatly no Bantha or even a Dessler. :p

I did however get a few sets I wanted complete and almost every piece of the cybernetic set so that is a bonus!

Was also lucky enough to find 2 pet models, however all the gsf items i got were republics so that kinda stinks as i never played pub beyond what was needed for Hk-51.

Your feeling about the odds being different kinda went up for me aswell as the persuer? crate I opened a few weeks back had more going for me. But as always it remains a gamble and that makes it fun for those who end up with the Bantha's en less so for the ones who get stuck with the crap :rak_03:

Well i bought 10 pcks total, and while most was crap, i did get the canderus chest, the new fighter mount, the countess mount and the new regen, with the fire warming hands emote, rest was junk, alot of underwater stuff, but im happy i got the fighter mount as i havent seen anyone else get one.

Your feeling about the odds being different kinda went up for me aswell as the persuer?

So if I may borrow your comment for a moment..... (my comments below are general, not specific to you)

This is an excellent demonstration of human nature.... where the human has desires and wants those desires fulfilled with as little investment as possible. People want the drop-odds for a particular item they crave to be HIGH. Problem is, Bioware decides the drop rates and loads the drop tables without polling everyone to see what they want most and what they want to expend to get it. :p

Whereas.... the path to certainty is to find the item on the GTN, at the price you are willing to pay. That is the beauty of free trade status of CM content.... which Bioware rarely gets credit for the forethought.

Edited by Andryah

So if I may borrow your comment for a moment..... (my comments below are general, not specific to you)

This is an excellent demonstration of human nature.... where the human has desires and wants those desires fulfilled with as little investment as possible. People want the drop-odds for a particular item they crave to be HIGH. Problem is, Bioware decides the drop rates and loads the drop tables without polling everyone to see what they want most and what they want to expend to get it. :p

Whereas.... the path to certainty is to find the item on the GTN, at the price you are willing to pay. That is the beauty of free trade status of CM content.... which Bioware rarely gets credit for the forethought.

You may most certainly borrow that :p

It does however show human nature at it's finest. To be honest I had more than average expectations of getting atleast one mount as I was thrown to death with them in the last hypercrate same with pets.

I agree with you that some specific items are rarer as they should be, but the math in my head told me that the chances of getting a mount were pretty good. Nobody is perfect I guess :D

I don't know why you quoted me, what you said has nothing to do with what I was addressing. :)

And unlike legalized gambling, EA does not have to show you the odds. So you are left guessing as to how low the drop rate is for the various items.

And by the way, if you spent a bunch of real life money on these gamble packs with the expectation you would get whatever you desired simply by purchasing and opening a lot of them, you should probably call one of those gamble addiction hotlines.

BW has the problem that once players realize that the packs are so junk heavy that they are not worth the money, they will stop buying them and the F2P house of cards starts to fall. they have to balance a perceived need for "rarity" with a need to continue selling the packs.

long story short, if customers stop buying these packs, bw is in trouble. as long as they sell they will continue to push them out instead of content.

Edited by ivanhedgehog

BW has the problem that once players realize that the packs are so junk heavy that they are not worth the money, they will stop buying them and the F2P house of cards starts to fall. they have to balance a perceived need for "rarity" with a need to continue selling the packs.

long story short, if customers stop buying these packs, bw is in trouble. as long as they sell they will continue to push them out instead of content.

are you kidding me I got a freaking dessler today in the first pack I got, and thats not the first time I have gotten a high end speeder off of the first cartel pack of a set I bought. You know, I will not stop buying packs ( though I will never go full buyer mode and buy 100 packs at once though lol) and neither will a lot of people especially since there are still cool armors and mounts in them, even if it is "junk" you want sell it or give it to a friend and dump it on them, cartel packs are not so useless.