Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Things in SWTOR that are new to me

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Things in SWTOR that are new to me

bloodmoon
01.03.2012 , 02:51 PM | #11
I love all the actual RPG elements , and STORY STORY STORY !

gurugeorge
01.03.2012 , 03:09 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerrall View Post
Since it seems the rage to bash SWTOR for not being innovative, I wanted to start a thread to note the things I see in SWTOR that I have not seen in the other MMOs I have played over the years. What else is here that you have not seen before?
  • Companions that can sell your stuff and enhance your crafting and gathering skills - while you continue to "adventure".
  • Cut scenes with speaking NPCs, and main character too.
  • Allowing all team members to participate in the cut scene "conversations".
  • Providing "social" points to encourage teaming and conversations.

Did any or all of these exist before SWTOR? I don't know, but they are new to me.
I think those features are part of it, but I thinkt there's an overall subtle thing that BW have done that isn't so much an "innovation" as a "return to roots" of what a roleplaying game is.

IOW, I think the subtle effect is that, if you're paying attention to, and "living through", the cutscenes, it's going to make you feel more bonded to your character, like you are roleplaying a story with it. That feeling has been lost with MMOs where the quest-giver is just a quest-dispenser (psychologically).

IOW, BW have brought back some of the meaning of "quest" back to quests. What you are doing has a better illusion of meaning something than MMOs have had for a long while.

(The other route to it is sandbox where players make their own content that means something special to them. This is making the dev-provided content mean more, which is a different idea.)

Chaldrom
01.03.2012 , 03:24 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerrall View Post
Since it seems the rage to bash SWTOR for not being innovative, I wanted to start a thread to note the things I see in SWTOR that I have not seen in the other MMOs I have played over the years. What else is here that you have not seen before?
  • Companions that can sell your stuff and enhance your crafting and gathering skills - while you continue to "adventure".
  • Cut scenes with speaking NPCs, and main character too.
  • Allowing all team members to participate in the cut scene "conversations".
  • Providing "social" points to encourage teaming and conversations.

Did any or all of these exist before SWTOR? I don't know, but they are new to me.

"Allowing all team members to participate in cut scene conversations." = Awesome

Watching the nerd rage in chat from someone who chose the light side option when you chose to open the air lock and kill a bunch of NPCs unnecessarily. = Priceless

ApesAmongUs
01.03.2012 , 03:48 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
Name one MMO that doesn't have crap gray items for loot that drop from mobs, and doesn't have professions/crew skills of some type.

Seriously, name one.
City of Heroes.

Stormrazor
01.03.2012 , 03:53 PM | #15
The holo communicator - Only one of your party has to go back to the quest giver to turn in. Saves a huge amount of time.

WelbyWars
01.03.2012 , 04:34 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Stormrazor View Post
The holo communicator - Only one of your party has to go back to the quest giver to turn in. Saves a huge amount of time.
Oh wow,..didn't realize that. That's perty cool.